What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Case Keenum, HOU (2 Viewers)

Major

Footballguy
If you want upside, grab Keenum in all dynasty/keeper leagues. I think TJ Yates is serviceable but a better #2. Keenum is the guy that could surprise in a big way. Just my 2 cents from an H-Town homer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any specific reason? Keenum have a stronger arm, more accurate, etc? Don't know much about him.
Keenum went to UH and Major is likely a Coog. That is probably the source of his optimism.

He put up big numbers in college because of the system. Usually does not translate well to the NFL.

FWIW I thought he showed some moxie in the preseason...made some good throws on the run too. Not saying it would translate in the regular season but if any of our QBs had any kind of "it" factor it would be him. Judging by what Schaub has done and what we've seen of Yates I'd love to see the kid get a shot (preferably this weekend) soon. He really can't be any worse than Schaub last night...

Sadly, our coach is Gary Kubiak and we'll get the same bland answers and same terrible QB I'm afraid....I'd settle for Yates this weekend just to be done with Schaub...

Other than his height, I've still had trouble finding somebody to explain to me what Keenum's weaknesses are. He's mobile, has a laser, and is accurate as hell.

People use his collegiate system as way too unfair of a strike against him.

Other than his height, I've still had trouble finding somebody to explain to me what Keenum's weaknesses are. He's mobile, has a laser, and is accurate as hell.

People use his collegiate system as way too unfair of a strike against him.
I'll let 3rd sources do the talking for me, but here you go.

"Production is inflated by mid-major competition and a simple, shotgun-based spread offense with predetermined reads and safe, controlled passes. Limited arm strength. Pushes the ball with a low release. Forces some throws into coverage. Limited upside." Link. "Small frame at 6-foot 5/8, 208 pounds, mild injury concern because of his size (suffered torn anterior cruciate ligament in 2010), inflated production because of the system, struggled under pressure, lacks overall arm strength and has an elongated motion when throwing deep, needs to learn how to play from under center and make progressions, and below below-average athleticism." Link.

"Keenum operates out of a pure spread offense and is almost exclusively in the shotgun . . . the reason this is such an issue is because when QB’s spend the majority, if not all of their time in the shotgun, they don’t get a chance to improve their footwork on their three, five and seven step drops. In addition, they don’t learn to read defenses from under center (where it is more difficult to judge what the defense is doing than when you are standing back in shotgun) and spread offense QB’s regularly look at only their first or maybe second read. All of those things are extremely hindering once they get to the NFL, and that results in a very high bust rate in spread offense QB’s. Link. "He panicked easily in the face of pressure, he left the pocket prematurely on a regular basis, and he rarely, if ever, went through more than one or two of his progressions the entire game. He forced passes into coverage, threw passes across his body at times and showed very little ability to buy time in the pocket by stepping up while still looking downfield. He didn’t look like he had very good mechanics, and when he is facing pressure he is more than willing to throw off of his back foot with no regard to his usual mechanics." Id.

"Slight frame with limited room for additional growth. Possesses an average arm that forces him to wind up to drive the ball longer than 15 yards. Had his statistics inflated based on a spread offense in which most of his attempts were not NFL-caliber throws. Took virtually all of his snaps out of the shotgun and made most of his decisions before receiving the ball. Struggled when the pocket collapsed and he was forced to come off of his initial read. Suffered a torn ACL against UCLA in 2010, ending his season after just three starts." Link.

As you see, there are plenty of recognized weaknesses in addition to the system. I'm a Houston native (born and raised) and a huge Texans fan, but think the vast majority of Keenum sunshine pumpers are UH alumnus or followers that are prematurely projecting his success at the collegiate level to the NFL. I'm not saying he couldn't turn into something, but I'd say there is a very slim chance Keenum becomes a starting-quality QB on a respectable NFL team. I'd just like to give a logical counter to those that may take the OP's backing as gospel.

Keenum looked about as good as Yates did in the preseason. The Texans had the #1 in offense in the preseason in large part because of how well those two played while alternating 2nd and 3rd string.

Though preseason is preseason and we have to take that for what it's worth, but they played equal against basically the same competition. But we can at least say definitively that Kubiak and Rick Smith saw enough from Keenum that though they prefer to only have 2 QBs on the active roster, they kept Keenum rather than trying to practice squad him and risk losing him to another team.

Kubiak picked Yates to be the #2 however. He obviously has more actual NFL game experience, and since Keenum and Yates were so even in preseason, I think that's entirely what it made sense to expect there.

Part of the preseason commentary was that Keenum had the leadership factor that you look for in a QB, more than Schaub or Yates. Does that mean anything? Who can say... it sure meant something with Russell Wilson. Vince Young, not so much. It definitely doesn't hurt Keenum's chances though.

I'd say deep dynasty leagues, especially 2 QB leagues, he's worth a stash based on potential and Schaub's current situation. I don't expect him to see the field though barring injuries ahead of him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up better than Yates, though it isn't something I'd predict with confidence either. We haven't seen Keenum against regular defenses that are not preseason vanilla. And though we've seen Yates against real NFL defenses, most of his starts the offense was kept pretty limited, and he didn't exactly fare well against the Ravens. A definite edge to evaluating Yates, but we don't know where he's at now with 2 years of experience in practices.

A lot of question marks for both. And given Kubiak's penchant for sticking with what he's familiar and comfortable with, if anyone goes in I'd heavily expect it to be Yates. Thus my not expecting to see Keenum unless there are injuries, so I'd consider him a fairly long shot in the short term.

Keenum was at UH for 6 years. Was RS and also granted medical RS when he blew out his knee I believe his second to last season. As mentioned, UH ran a shotgun spread air raid type system. Don't get me wrong, he put up video game numbers scoring 50-70 in a lot of games. It seemed that when he played against aggressive defenses that got to him, it rattled him. Case in point, the 2011 C-USA Championship game against Southern Miss. Keenum and his no. 6 ranked Cougars were completely dominated in that game and he was rattled pretty bad. He may do pretty good in the league but I think you'll see a QB similar but maybe better than Kevin Kolb. Kolb played in that same system and put up crazy numbers too.

Any specific reason? Keenum have a stronger arm, more accurate, etc? Don't know much about him.
Keenum went to UH and Major is likely a Coog. That is probably the source of his optimism.
solid reasoning there, guy.....from Houston and NYC but could give a f about UH or the Cougs. Case gives you upside. Looked great in camp and has the testicular fortitude that Schaubie lacks. His arm is precise, stronger post surgery and the team loves him. Could be the next Brady ;)

Keenum looked about as good as Yates did in the preseason. The Texans had the #1 in offense in the preseason in large part because of how well those two played while alternating 2nd and 3rd string.

Though preseason is preseason and we have to take that for what it's worth, but they played equal against basically the same competition. But we can at least say definitively that Kubiak and Rick Smith saw enough from Keenum that though they prefer to only have 2 QBs on the active roster, they kept Keenum rather than trying to practice squad him and risk losing him to another team.

Kubiak picked Yates to be the #2 however. He obviously has more actual NFL game experience, and since Keenum and Yates were so even in preseason, I think that's entirely what it made sense to expect there.

Part of the preseason commentary was that Keenum had the leadership factor that you look for in a QB, more than Schaub or Yates. Does that mean anything? Who can say... it sure meant something with Russell Wilson. Vince Young, not so much. It definitely doesn't hurt Keenum's chances though.

I'd say deep dynasty leagues, especially 2 QB leagues, he's worth a stash based on potential and Schaub's current situation. I don't expect him to see the field though barring injuries ahead of him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up better than Yates, though it isn't something I'd predict with confidence either. We haven't seen Keenum against regular defeness that are not preseason vanilla. And though we've seen Yates against real NFL defenses, most of his starts the offense was kept pretty limited, and he didn't exactly fare well against the Ravens. A definite edge to evaluating Yates, but we don't know where he's at now with 2 years of experience in practices.

A lot of question marks for both. And given Kubiak's penchant for sticking with what he's familiar and comfortable with, if anyone goes in I'd heavily expect it to be Yates. Thus my not expecting to see Keenum unless there are injuries, so I'd consider him a fairly long shot in the short term.
all good points Greg. I'm just stashing him in keeper/dynasty leagues and wanted to let my Shark Pool contingent his potential value long term. It's still a gamble but long shots normally are.

Andre Johnson was quoted as saying that Keenum has an "aura" about him. Probably doesn't mean anything, but as a Texans fan I'll take it. Just hope Keenum doesn't get permanently rattled from this upcoming game. On the road at the loud Arrowhead, vs an undefeated and high quality defense. Yikes. Good luck Case?

Stranger things have happened, but I am glad I have KC's defense. I wonder if Kubiak is trying to pull a John Fox and playing Keenum (ala Tebow) to shut the fans up hoping that he will crash and burn

I doubt it....Yates sucks and wont jump start the team. Keenum might suck too but at least weve never seen him. If we lose no big deal we were supposed to anyway.....but if Keenum can pull it off in that environment then maybe weve got something

I'd be more excited if he wasn't going up against the Chiefs defense in Arrowhead for his first ever NFL game.

This move actually worries me more than if they started Yates or Schaub.
I'd be worried if Kubiak opens up the playbook. Case has that chutzpah. I have him stashed in all my keeper/dynastys. He killed it in camp/preseason. And they only reason he wasn't the #2 is b/c of Kubiak's loyal to a fault approach to handling personell.

Major will go on the record saying 280 yds passing, 32 Rushing and 3 TDs.

I know rotoworld is often full of bs, but they describe Keenum as having a "third stringers arm" and not having "NFL size or arm strength". I find it interesting to see such contradicting information here. I mean, some are saying he has a laser for an arm. I wouldn't be as surprised if people were saying he has a decent or even good arm, but to go from "3rd stringer arm" to laser arm seems like quite the disparity.

Major, sell me on rotoworld being wrong, you're doing a pretty good job so far.

How does this affect AJ/Hopkins/Foster/Tate going forward?

Have a trade offer out for AJ, thinking about taking it back because man, this can't be good short term.

I know rotoworld is often full of bs, but they describe Keenum as having a "third stringers arm" and not having "NFL size or arm strength". I find it interesting to see such contradicting information here. I mean, some are saying he has a laser for an arm. I wouldn't be as surprised if people were saying he has a decent or even good arm, but to go from "3rd stringer arm" to laser arm seems like quite the disparity.

Major, sell me on rotoworld being wrong, you're doing a pretty good job so far.
A lot of it is just instinct and what I see being a pseudo scout. His arm is a helluvalot stronger than Schaub's. Remember he was hurt his senior year at UH. His arm has healed wonderfully and stronger than ever. Most of the scouting on him is done pre injury UH before he really developed. Just my 2 pence. Worthy gamble in dynasty/keeper leagues and brings hope to Texans fans.

How does this affect AJ/Hopkins/Foster/Tate going forward?

Have a trade offer out for AJ, thinking about taking it back because man, this can't be good short term.
It might be a good thing in PPR for Foster and/or Tate, considering how younger QBs tend to like dump offs more.

I don't think this hurts AJ or Hopkins, because it can't be worse than having Yates in. So, worst case is Keenum sucks, and they put Schaub back in, and no harm is done to AJ or Hopkins. Best case, Keenum is the next coming of Romo, and it provides a boost for those two.

Wonder if Schaub is done or will he get his job back when healthy. I guess we will know after Sunday.

Wonder if Schaub is done or will he get his job back when healthy. I guess we will know after Sunday.
Kubiak is trying to save his job. Schaub won't do that. You fantasy guys with your stats distort reality. Romo and Schaub serviceable fantasy/stat guys but that's about it.

Did you just put Romo and Schaub in the same sentence??
Yes. Until this season, they were both the same QB - softer than wet cake with a pony tail for a heart. Schaub has regressed, Romo still chokes. Ain't a damn ting changed, son.

I think this is a tough situation to read - having Keenum make his first start on the road against a tough defensive team, is almost setting him up to fail.

If Keenum plays well, he could Tebow himself into the starting gig the rest of the year. If he struggles, as expected, I would think Schaub gets his job back.

I think this is a tough situation to read - having Keenum make his first start on the road against a tough the best defensive team in the NFL, is almost setting him up to fail.

If Keenum plays well, he could Tebow himself into the starting gig the rest of the year. If he struggles, as expected, I would think Schaub gets his job back.
If Keenum plays well this week, the job is his.

In my 16 team league, I have Schaub and Pryor as my QBs. Schaub is injured. I picked up Keenum. I think he will earn the starting spot after Sunday.

I'd be worried if Kubiak opens up the playbook. Case has that chutzpah. I have him stashed in all my keeper/dynastys. He killed it in camp/preseason. And they only reason he wasn't the #2 is b/c of Kubiak's loyal to a fault approach to handling personell.

For the season?

[SIZE=medium]All of your credibility just flew out the window. :lmao: [/SIZE]

Is Keenum being setup to fail? Playing the #1 defense in their home turf is not how you want your rookie QB to start his first NFL game. Maybe the coaching staff is unhappy with the fans reaction to Schaub and want to shut them up for good.

I do own Keenum and think this is not the ideal start for him. I hope I am wrong.

Is Keenum being setup to fail? Playing the #1 defense in their home turf is not how you want your rookie QB to start his first NFL game. Maybe the coaching staff is unhappy with the fans reaction to Schaub and want to shut them up for good.

I do own Keenum and think this is not the ideal start for him. I hope I am wrong.
Yeah, Kubiak loyal to a fault and could be a pressure/I told you he wasn't that good move to prove us Schaub haters wrong. That being said, I think HOU can upset the Chiefs w/ the rook. I'm going to be betting on this game with the high spread....

And I was joking about that stat line I proposed earlier but I think Case be good at home and against weaker defenses. I drafted him in the last round of all keeper/dynasty leagues for this reason.

IF he survives this week without a season ending injury and his ego isn't too damaged after getting strip sacked 10 times and throwing 3-4 pick 6's then maybe he can be something for Houston. Have you forgotten the defense that this kid is facing this week? Kubiak is throwing and undrafted rookie from their practice squad into the fire this week against a ferocious defense right up there with Seattle (if not better than).

Good luck kid.

IF he survives this week without a season ending injury and his ego isn't too damaged after getting strip sacked 10 times and throwing 3-4 pick 6's then maybe he can be something for Houston. Have you forgotten the defense that this kid is facing this week? Kubiak is throwing and undrafted rookie from their practice squad into the fire this week against a ferocious defense right up there with Seattle (if not better than).

Good luck kid.
You guys talking loud but really ain't saying shiiieeet. Rookie, blah blah, defense....If you watched Case play, you'll see this guy has the testicular fortitude to succeed against the NFL's best. I'm just worried about his first game being at Arrowhead. At home, Case kills it.

Good luck kid.
You guys talking loud but really ain't saying shiiieeet. Rookie, blah blah, defense....If you watched Case play, you'll see this guy has the testicular fortitude to succeed against the NFL's best. I'm just worried about his first game being at Arrowhead. At home, Case kills it.
LOL you just reiterated my point. You are worried about his FIRST game being at Arrowhead. My point exactly. I know nothing about this kid. But If I had a gun to my head to place a bet and was told that an undrafted FA rookie was being promoted from the practice squad to face the chiefs at arrowhead in his first ever nfl action, I'd bet that the Chiefs D gets the best of him in a very very big way.

Good luck kid.
LOL you just reiterated my point. You are worried about his FIRST game being at Arrowhead. My point exactly. I know nothing about this kid. But If I had a gun to my head to place a bet and was told that an undrafted FA rookie was being promoted from the practice squad to face the chiefs at arrowhead in his first ever nfl action, I'd bet that the Chiefs D gets the best of him in a very very big way.
this guy is like Rudy mixed with Brady. Never underestimate the heart of a champion #htown

A lot of it is just instinct and what I see being a pseudo scout. His arm is a helluvalot stronger than Schaub's. Remember he was hurt his senior year at UH. His arm has healed wonderfully and stronger than ever. Most of the scouting on him is done pre injury UH before he really developed. Just my 2 pence. Worthy gamble in dynasty/keeper leagues and brings hope to Texans fans.
:confused: The season-ending injury his senior year was to his ACL.

Users who are viewing this thread