Major

Case Keenum

665 posts in this topic

From his 2012 sportsline.com draft profile:

Positives: Good short to intermediate accuracy. Makes quick decisions, getting the ball out of his hands before defenders can get to him. Intelligent passer who makes good pre-snap reads. Efficient over the top release. Good vision to locate passing lanes. Gutty and determined. Shows some feel in the pocket and is athletic enough to move about and/or escape the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. A coach's son with all of the intangibles every team is looking for in a quarterback. Negatives: Slight frame with limited room for additional growth. Possesses an average arm that forces him to wind up to drive the ball longer than 15 yards. Had his statistics inflated based on a spread offense in which most of his attempts were not NFL-caliber throws. Took virtually all of his snaps out of the shotgun and made most of his decisions before receiving the ball. Struggled when the pocket collapsed and he was forced to come off of his initial read. Suffered a torn ACL against UCLA in 2010, ending his season after just three starts. --Rob Rang

From his 2012 sportsline.com draft profile:

Positives: Good short to intermediate accuracy. Makes quick decisions, getting the ball out of his hands before defenders can get to him. Intelligent passer who makes good pre-snap reads. Efficient over the top release. Good vision to locate passing lanes. Gutty and determined. Shows some feel in the pocket and is athletic enough to move about and/or escape the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. A coach's son with all of the intangibles every team is looking for in a quarterback. Negatives: Slight frame with limited room for additional growth. Possesses an average arm that forces him to wind up to drive the ball longer than 15 yards. Had his statistics inflated based on a spread offense in which most of his attempts were not NFL-caliber throws. Took virtually all of his snaps out of the shotgun and made most of his decisions before receiving the ball. Struggled when the pocket collapsed and he was forced to come off of his initial read. Suffered a torn ACL against UCLA in 2010, ending his season after just three starts. --Rob Rang

It seems as though everyone thinks his arm is average at best. I am going to throw the "laser arm" comments made earlier in this thread out the window.

1 person likes this

That draft profile could have been drew brees. (First part anyway) Obviously not saying he is brees, that doesn't happen often.

Give me an intelligent guy who makes good quick decisions, with an average arm over a laser arm without the mind.

Edited by FUBAR

This move actually worries me more than if they started Yates or Schaub.

:oldunsure: I've seen this somewhere before. :lol:

I was flambayed elsewhere for even intimating that this guy had some talent and should be watched.

I think if he has a decent outing, isn't too rattled... maybe goes 240/2 and keeps the Texans in it, that you're looking at a solid NFL QB in the making.

Edited by nirad3

A look back at why Case Keenum went undrafted

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

October 18, 2013 12:08 am ET

Sunday won't merely be Case Keenum's first start of his NFL career, it also will be the first game of his pro career. After going undrafted in 2012 and spending all of last season on the Houston Texans practice squad, Keenum is getting a chance with Matt Schaub out injured.

An Abilene, Texas, native, Keenum left the University of Houston as the NCAA's all-time leader in passing yardage (19,217) touchdowns (155). But due to his lack of ideal physical tools, Keenum didn't hear his name called in the NFL Draft and has yet to be active for a NFL game.

That will change on Sunday as Keenum's first NFL start comes against the Kansas City Chiefs in one of the more hostile venues in the league for a visiting team -- Arrowhead Stadium.

Why did Keenum go undrafted? Below average size (6-1, 208), average-at-best arm strength and limited mobility to do much with his legs. His ball appears to flutter, especially when he doesn't have a chance to wind up and step into his throws. Keenum holds several NCAA passing records, but those numbers came in an offense that inflated his statistics and allowed him to take advantage of a quick passing attack where he didn't need to make extensive pocket reads. He wasn't asked to consistently make NFL throws as the Cougars quarterback and at the end of the day, his lack of ideal physical tools were enough for teams to pass.

So why should Texans' fans be encouraged with Keenum at the helm of the offense? He's resilient, tough and very smart -- all qualities that cannot be measured by a scale or 40 time. Keenum makes quick decisions with astute pre-snap reads to have a clear understanding of what the defense is doing and where to distribute the football. He has a natural feel for the field and pocket with good passing vision despite his stature that is a shade under 6-foot-1. A mature, determined individual, Keenum is the son of a coach and has battled through multiple injuries, including an ACL tear in 2010 that ended his season.

If you compare Keenum to other quarterbacks in the NFL, he won't match-up because his physical tools just aren't up-to-par. But his resolve and heart are why he's still collecting a NFL paycheck and why he will start and play in his first professional game on Sunday.

Are the intangibles enough for him to overcome his shortcomings and find success at the pro level? The deck is stacked against him, but few thought he would ever start a game in the NFL so why not?

Man was this guy prolific in college.

Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2007 Houston CUSA FR QB 187 273 68.5 2259 8.3 7.7 14 10 147.6
*2008 Houston CUSA SO QB 397 589 67.4 5020 8.5 9.2 44 11 159.9
*2009 Houston CUSA JR QB 492 700 70.3 5671 8.1 8.4 44 15 154.8
2010 Houston CUSA JR QB 42 64 65.6 636 9.9 8.0 5 5 159.3
*2011 Houston CUSA SR QB 428 603 71.0 5631 9.3 10.6 48 5 174.0
Career Houston 1546 2229 69.4 19217 8.6 9.1 155 46 160.6

First off I think the bigger deal is what does this do to Foster and AJ.

Secondly, get past KC, then bye, then is Schaub coming back automatically?

Somewhere in there Houston is still a good team.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Tough first game for Keenum, I'm a bit surprised that they went away from Yates. If HOU struggles to establish a running game, it's over. KC plays primarily Cover 1 and can drop either S to the box .

Putting a player into the best position to win is not the way this will go down, into the fire is more like it.

They know what they have in Yates. Time to find out about Keenum. I'd say Texans likely selecting a QB early (1st-3rd round) in the next draft.

Man was this guy prolific in college.

Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing Passing

Year School Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

*2007 Houston CUSA FR QB 187 273 68.5 2259 8.3 7.7 14 10 147.6

*2008 Houston CUSA SO QB 397 589 67.4 5020 8.5 9.2 44 11 159.9

*2009 Houston CUSA JR QB 492 700 70.3 5671 8.1 8.4 44 15 154.8

2010 Houston CUSA JR QB 42 64 65.6 636 9.9 8.0 5 5 159.3

*2011 Houston CUSA SR QB 428 603 71.0 5631 9.3 10.6 48 5 174.0

Career Houston 1546 2229 69.4 19217 8.6 9.1 155 46 160.6

First off I think the bigger deal is what does this do to Foster and AJ.

Secondly, get past KC, then bye, then is Schaub coming back automatically?

Somewhere in there Houston is still a good team.

AJ might be ok but don't expect any long passes turned big plays. Graham is the play here. Foster will likely have more success receiving than running too.

I think case can be an adequate starter, just hope he gets another chance after this game. Kind of sucks that his first game is this one.

FWIW, I'm starting Marcus Cooper or flowers in every league I can. Chiefs D was already as must start.

Edited by FUBAR

Trying to get a 4th for him; sounds like the risk (or lack thereof) should be worth it for someone

:oldunsure: I turned down a 3rd in a 16-team dynasty league. I want to wait and see what happens this weekend. If he bombs, a 3rd rounder really isn't that much to have lost, but if he plays well he is worth a first rounder.

Trying to get a 4th for him; sounds like the risk (or lack thereof) should be worth it for someone

:oldunsure: I turned down a 3rd in a 16-team dynasty league. I want to wait and see what happens this weekend. If he bombs, a 3rd rounder really isn't that much to have lost, but if he plays well he is worth a first rounder.
would like the roster spot. 12 team may not have as bad of QB scarcity, are they typically worth more in your league?

anyone starting Keenum with confidence this week?

I can't imagine anyone doing this with confidence as you say....I mean, as a Texans fan I'm glad he's getting a shot and I'm (very) cautiously hopeful, but no way I'd roll with him in fantasy at that stadium except in the deepest of leagues and in desperation mode....

On the bright side, if he does well and pulls off a miraculous upset we'll have quite a cult hero down here...

....and if not we're well on our way to a new QB next year in a draft with some decent QBs

Edited by Houston turmOiler

Best offer I got for Hoyer in my 16 team league was a 5th, after he played well and before injury. I didn't take it. I asked for a de upgrade and was rejected.

There's no way I'd get a first unless he looks like Peyton.

would like the roster spot. 12 team may not have as bad of QB scarcity, are they typically worth more in your league?
Yeah QBs are gold, with only 32 starters for 16 teams.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/mcclain/article/Jones-certain-Texans-Keenum-possesses-it-factor-4905819.php?t=09ad29a86ecc308649 Jones certain Texans' Keenum possesses 'it' factor

In May, I was visiting with Jones in the Dallas area. I asked him about Matt Schaub. Before responding to my Schaub question, Jones said, "Let me tell you about Case Keenum."

per Twitter :

Art Briles can coach like a mother. And recruit. He's the only D1 coach that offered Case Keenum a scholarship.

predict Texans will upset KC tomorrow. Keenum will make some plays, and defense will wake up and play hard for Wade, to honor Bum.

I told you earlier this week that if Case Keenum plaus for the Texans he is going to ball out. WATCH! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264813/article/case-keenum-will-start-sunday-for-houston-texans

#Kubiak on #CaseKeenum : "I want him to cut it loose & play with energy. He’s earned the right. He’s worked hard.”

I think Keenum has a shot, and almost wish Hou plays Den earlier then wk 16. imo Dal game was good, but both Def sorta lost (lot of points scored) However I can understand the conflicting interpretation of expected results ie. Coach Jones asserts to anointing Keenum, yet it appears didn't offer a Scholarship. Personally I don't know about starting Keenum over known value/matchups, but trading just to be trading sounds kinda lame :2cents:

he`s the next Kurt Warner....no really

actually Keenum would be the next Delhomme ie. undrafted, practice squad, third string, starter Now he just needs to throw two TD's

Starting him with confidence. Texans will beat the Chiefs.

Desperation play only. I grabbed him in two leagues, one a couple weeks ago. Benched in both. Not that it matters but couldn't even think of starting him over Peyton or Stafford.

1 person likes this

Desperation play only. I grabbed him in two leagues, one a couple weeks ago. Benched in both. Not that it matters but couldn't even think of starting him over Peyton or Stafford.

when ,not if,the Chiefs lose it wont be to this team in Arrowhead...try again

This will be a fun bump. Gl with that.

Tried to play him on my 1-5 dynasty team over J. Cutler. League accused me of tanking for top pick and made me switch back

Rotoworld:

Texans QB coach Karl Dorrell says Case Keenum's Week 7 start against the Chiefs "will shed light about where do you go beyond this point."

So Keenum has a chance to run with the job if he plays well. "That’s the best-case scenario. We’d love to put ourselves in that position," Dorrell said when asked if Keenum could make the QB decision a tough one. The chances of Keenum lighting up the stat sheet are slim against a terrifying Kansas City defense. The Texans have internally compared Keenum to Jake Plummer, whom coach Gary Kubiak was with in Denver. Houston is desperate for a spark.

Case Keenum like Doug Flutie, Texans QBs coach says

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

The Houston Texans surprised some when they opted to start Case Keenum this week against the Kansas City Chiefs.

However, Texans quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell doesn't view it as a shock, and he believes Keenum has the skill set to succeed at the NFL level.

Dorrell described Keenum as energetic and "bouncy" multiple times to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and gushed about the 6-foot-1 quarterback's vision, anticipation and coverage recognition. Dorrell said Keenum's attributes outweigh any size concerns.

"I think there's uniqueness to guys like him, don't necessarily have the physical stature that you're looking for, but can make up for it in other ways with some other skills or vision or being able to move," Dorrell told Rapoport. "That's usually the case from guys that are his size, so he was able to really ... In the same mindset with Doug Flutie."

Dorrell said Keenum very well could capture the starting gig for the future with a solid performance against one of the NFL's best defenses.

"That's the best-case scenario," Dorrell said. "We'd love to put ourselves in that position. Right now, we're just trying to get a win."

The Texans might consider it a win if the quarterback doesn't turn the ball over.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" previewed every Week 7 game.

Tried to play him on my 1-5 dynasty team over J. Cutler. League accused me of tanking for top pick and made me switch back

Hate when leagues do that but objectively, Cutler is the better start by far

Cutler is probably close to a top five playToday. I believe you attempted to break the rule of "start your Studs"

But I would consider discussing a play-off for the bottom teams to help determine draft-order ie. Top six teams draft last based on how they win/lose Bottom six draft first based on how they win/lose ex. 1-5 means drafting second or worse if the 2-4 team beats you during play-offs etc.

Edited by Dismattle

Hate when leagues do that but objectively, Cutler is the better start by far

And as if on cue, Cutler knocked out of game, to the locker room for x-rays.

Were you tanking?

I'd tell them that if they want to play your team, they can take it over for the rest of the year if they want to play YOUR team so bad and quit.

There are very few excuses for veto'ing trades. There are even fewer excuses for forcing someone to make lineup changes.

The start of this one looks good for you - hopefully you'll be able to shove this in their ##### faces at the end of the week and tell them to mind their own business.

Just my honest opinion. :)

I'd tell them that if they want to play your team, they can take it over for the rest of the year if they want to play YOUR team so bad and quit.

There are very few excuses for veto'ing trades. There are even fewer excuses for forcing someone to make lineup changes.

The start of this one looks good for you - hopefully you'll be able to shove this in their ##### faces at the end of the week and tell them to mind their own business.

Just my honest opinion. :)

It doesn't matter that Cutler was injured, there was no way to know that would happen.

A 1-5 team starting Keenum vs. the KC DEF, and benching Cutler vs. the WAS DEF, is clearly trying to tank.

Edited by ConnSKINS26

I think he's earned another start

I'm sold. Kid has poise on top of poise.

Didn't Foles have this too last week.

I think he's earned another start

I've been impressed.

He should get another start win or lose, after the way he played. I did stash him in dynasty, I also grabbed Foles and started him. Moral of the story, one game doesn't mean crap.

I'm sold. Kid has poise on top of poise.

Didn't Foles have this too last week.
I have no idea - didn't watch Foles last week.

Keenum was calm and aware of pressure in an extremely hostile environment. He was hitting guys in stride and making multiple reads. He looked like an NFL starter to me.

Edited by valhallan

Great game considering the opponent. I wanted him to win. "Deserve" is too strong a word, what happens, happens, but he played well . . . I can't see them putting in a healthy Schaub for him ROS.

Great game considering the opponent. I wanted him to win. "Deserve" is too strong a word, what happens, happens, but he played well . . . I can't see them putting in a healthy Schaub for him ROS.

No reason to IMO. I want to see what he does against an average defense that has game take of him.