What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Case Keenum, HOU (2 Viewers)

Rolling the dice on Keenum was an absolute disaster today. I sat Romo, and I still think that was a good move, but Rivers sitting over KC, that was something I thought was an easy decision. Great game for Rivers, and huge stinker for Keenum and the Texans overall. They were pathetically out coached today, by a hungry Jacksonville team.

Rolling the dice on Keenum was an absolute disaster today. I sat Romo, and I still think that was a good move, but Rivers sitting over KC, that was something I thought was an easy decision. Great game for Rivers, and huge stinker for Keenum and the Texans overall. They were pathetically out coached today, by a hungry Jacksonville team.
I benched Romo for Keenum too. The Texans are horrible. Just horrible. Fairly certain there will be a complete house cleaning after the season.

I benched Romo for Keenum too. The Texans are horrible. Just horrible. Fairly certain there will be a complete house cleaning after the season.
+1 but no, it wasn't a good move. Case will be dropped in my redraft this week.

Man this was ugly, against the Jaguars of all teams. Keenum might not be the answer, the first few weeks he was good, but the league got 3 weeks of game tape on the guy and they already have him figured out? If that is the case then he isn't the guy.

So no longer do I think sitting Romo was the better move. Romo is just so unpredictable, it's freaking painful....

Man this was ugly, against the Jaguars of all teams. Keenum might not be the answer, the first few weeks he was good, but the league got 3 weeks of game tape on the guy and they already have him figured out? If that is the case then he isn't the guy.
Most rookie qbs have rough patches.

SRSLY. I was forced to go with him today, too but listening to some up in here and you would think he had a season or two under his belt. He has shown flashes and he has shown teh suck. That's a rookie QB for you. And its not like he came out of camp the starter. Shore up the defense and offensive line and roll with Keenum next year.

SRSLY. I was forced to go with him today, too but listening to some up in here and you would think he had a season or two under his belt. He has shown flashes and he has shown teh suck. That's a rookie QB for you. And its not like he came out of camp the starter. Shore up the defense and offensive line and roll with Keenum next year.
I certainly hope the management is wise enough not to do that. He has far exceeded my expectations, and most peoples for that matter, but if the Texans end up with a top draft pick and don't use it on a QB I think that's a huge mistake.

I certainly hope the management is wise enough not to do that. He has far exceeded my expectations, and most peoples for that matter, but if the Texans end up with a top draft pick and don't use it on a QB I think that's a huge mistake.
can you imagine a defense with watt on one side and clowney on the other? Id rather have that then Bridgewater or Mariota

Id rather draft a QB with a high draft grade and let Keenum compete with him....we need to get that position right above anything else. A great QB covers for a ton of deficiencies...weve got a chance to get one

Id rather draft a QB with a high draft grade and let Keenum compete with him....we need to get that position right above anything else. A great QB covers for a ton of deficiencies...weve got a chance to get one
Agreed but don't draft Johnny F'ball...he's undersized. Draft one of the other studs.

can you imagine a defense with watt on one side and clowney on the other? Id rather have that then Bridgewater or Mariota
Take the hometown guy. Jake Matthews was born in a Houston suburb.

Good year to have an awful season if you're Houston. A lot of good qb prospects. They don't always pan out but you should be able to get one with a top 5 pick.

Houston turmOiler said:
Texans need to be drafting a QB....
No one thinks it was Kubiaks play calling? Run, run, pass, run, run, pass. That offensive line is really offensive if that was Schaub back there Jacksonville would have broken the record for sacks in a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one thinks it was Kubiaks play calling? Run, run, pass, run, run, pass. That offensive line is really offensive if that was Schaub back there Jacksonville would have broken the record for sacks in a game.
Last week I posted this:

I don't agree with your assumption that Kubiak knows he is a lame-duck head coach, and that he is being forced to start Keenum, but IF that were true, and the bolded is also true, why would you expect him to call plays that cater to Keenum's strengths? :loco:
I didn't get to watch the game, but it doesn't seem like Kubiak really set Keenum up for success yesterday.

Can't say I agree that it was the playcalling or all the offensive line's fault. I was at the game and Keenum takes like a 5 to 7 step drop every time, even from the shotgun, even when he was obviously being blitzed. He just couldn't fire it out fast enough or work the flats or dump offs to make the Def pay for it when they over pursued. They changed up the play calling a lot in the 2nd half (part of the reason Dennis Johnson had a big game) and went to the no huddle as well. The no huddle should have resulted in another INT as Keenum threw a ball directly into a Jax defender with no Texans near it that stone hands dropped.

He also overthrew his guys pretty often and missed some open players on his progressions. He looked every part the undrafted rookie yesterday.

Houston turmOiler said:
Texans need to be drafting a QB....
Not counting end of the game when passing every down while trailing and short on time... Houston had 16 plays on first downs. 9 of them were runs and 7 of them were passes.

Can't say I agree that it was the playcalling or all the offensive line's fault. I was at the game and Keenum takes like a 5 to 7 step drop every time, even from the shotgun, even when he was obviously being blitzed. He just couldn't fire it out fast enough or work the flats or dump offs to make the Def pay for it when they over pursued. They changed up the play calling a lot in the 2nd half (part of the reason Dennis Johnson had a big game) and went to the no huddle as well. The no huddle should have resulted in another INT as Keenum threw a ball directly into a Jax defender with no Texans near it that stone hands dropped.

He also overthrew his guys pretty often and missed some open players on his progressions. He looked every part the undrafted rookie yesterday.
That said, he had a couple nice passes on that last drive just dropped. Overall a pretty terrible performance, but at the end he had some nice throws along with the dreck.

The answer to all the questions with Keenum is the Texans miss Foster and the mystique of Tate has been exposed. That line can't be effective like it can with Foster and nobody is afraid of Tate. THey aren't built to blow people out of the holes, they fall behind in the games and teams pin their ears back.

With that being said, if Keenum can use his feet to move the pocket, I expect a decent day against the Pats.

Keenum can't catch a break and his support sans Andre is nonexistent....poor play calling, no line or RBs = fail

The answer to all the questions with Keenum is the Texans miss Foster and the mystique of Tate has been exposed. That line can't be effective like it can with Foster and nobody is afraid of Tate. THey aren't built to blow people out of the holes, they fall behind in the games and teams pin their ears back.

With that being said, if Keenum can use his feet to move the pocket, I expect a decent day against the Pats.
Is there any scuttlebutt about Keenum not starting, or is it a 100% definite that he will be the man this coming week? Obviously with a performance like we've seen the last two weeks, moreso even this week imo, you can't expect more than a week to week judgement at this point.

Good year to have an awful season if you're Houston. A lot of good qb prospects. They don't always pan out but you should be able to get one with a top 5 pick.
If Houston drafts well they will be good again next year.
I'm not so sure. With a new coach comes a new system which means the current players might not fit. Not to mention the defense is already full of holes and the offensive line only has 2 good players. We might be in for a full blown rebuild.

Usually Ive got no problem blaming Kubiak but Keenum was terrible yesterday. He looked like a guy who shouldve been benched.
Gees really? does anything please you houston fans. last week he shouldnt of been pulled this week he should have. Its why coaches do not listen to fans.

I blame keenum none. He didnt drop and tip the ball in the defenders hands, he wasnt the one dropping passes, he wasnt the one letting defenders run in right at him. That goal line series early was run run pass fg predictable of kubiak to say the least.

It's interesting if you look at the stats.

2nd lowest INT%, only Foles has thrown less INTs.

#12 QB Rating - better than Brady, Luck, and Stafford among others.

#33 Pass completion %. Of the qualifiers, only Weeden has done worse here.

#26 sack %

Basically, if a stat needs his teammates to make it good, his is bad. If it's more indicative of the QB himself, it's better.

Usually Ive got no problem blaming Kubiak but Keenum was terrible yesterday. He looked like a guy who shouldve been benched.
Gees really? does anything please you houston fans. last week he shouldnt of been pulled this week he should have. Its why coaches do not listen to fans.

I blame keenum none. He didnt drop and tip the ball in the defenders hands, he wasnt the one dropping passes, he wasnt the one letting defenders run in right at him. That goal line series early was run run pass fg predictable of kubiak to say the least.
Funny, everytime Kubiak has the ball inside the 10, i normally predict the right play. I'm 10/13 since I started counting. So f'n predictable depending on formation. Can I bet on this stuff in Vegas?

Hey Im just being objective about what I saw. I like him and think hes done a pretty good job for the crappy situation he is playing in right now. But yesterday he looked flustered and in over his head. He was very erratic if you watched the game. Does the coaching suck? YES. Does the OL suck? YES. Did Ben Tate suck? YES. Did Keyshawn Martin screw us with that drop? HELL YES. But saying none of that was Keenums fault is putting blinders on. I didnt think he deserved to be benched last week but he did yesterday. He threw the ball all over the place.

And as far as being pleased as a Houston fan, take a look at our record.....in the spirit of Thanksgiving we are thankful for JJ Watt/Andre Johnson and that might be about it this season.

my arss hurts :kicksrock:
DittoOof, A big week and I try and get cute and boom it blows up in my face

Damnit
Yeah me too...i lost by .97 points and had the second highest score this week with this guy in instead of RGIII tonight. Gonna cost me a bye week. All I needed was a competent performance....If anyone cares he is starting again next week Kubiak said

I'm going to scrape out a win in spite of starting Keenum. I thought Kaepernick was bad...

So I guess it's back to the WW pool to find a good playoff QB. Man, I'm going to get bounced quickly if I can't find someone serviceable or Kaepernick doesn't pull his head out of his ###.

It's interesting if you look at the stats.

2nd lowest INT%, only Foles has thrown less INTs.

#12 QB Rating - better than Brady, Luck, and Stafford among others.

#33 Pass completion %. Of the qualifiers, only Weeden has done worse here.

#26 sack %

Basically, if a stat needs his teammates to make it good, his is bad. If it's more indicative of the QB himself, it's better.
Those are interesting stats but I find these more interesting. They would make an nicely sloping graph.

QB Rating (last four weeks)

Wk 9: 123.4

Wk 10: 87.5

Wk 11: 73.3

Wk 12: 54.7

Rotoworld:

Case Keenum was benched midway through the third quarter of Houston's Week 14 game against the Jaguars.
Keenum was yanked for Matt Schaub, who immediately led the Texans on a touchdown drive. Keenum wasn't Matt Flynn-level bad before getting pulled — he was easily out-playing Chad Henne — but was again struggling to recognize the blitz, putting the Texans in multiple 3rd-and-longs. Keenum completed 16-of-29 passes for 159 yards, a touchdown and an interception. His pick was an embarrassingly bad pass on the move near the end of the first half. Had the Patriots blitzed Keenum more in Week 13, it's possible he wouldn't even have seen the field this evening. Now benched twice in four games, it's possible Keenum will return to the pine for good in Week 15.

Related: Matt Schaub

Users who are viewing this thread