What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Fitzgerald (3 Viewers)

Squintz82

Footballguy
What is everyone doing with him at this point? I think kills me seeing him do next to nothing in my lineup each week with the occasional TD. I was huge on him in preseason, and week 1 pretty much confirmed my thoughts. But since then, it's like Palmer and that line has been terrible.

Probably starting Blackmon over him this week and next.

What is everyone doing with him at this point? I think kills me seeing him do next to nothing in my lineup each week with the occasional TD. I was huge on him in preseason, and week 1 pretty much confirmed my thoughts. But since then, it's like Palmer and that line has been terrible.

This really shouldn't have come as a surprise, particularly the o-line part.

Fitz is and will always been one of my favorite players. I have him in dynasty and am really considering trading him. Every week he gets a WR1 ranking, but hes been producing WR3 numbers for his last 21 games. Every week the reports out of Arizona are how they will get Larry more involved. He gets the targets, but they aren't quality looks.

I've been worried about "selling low" on him, but he (his QBs) have been hurting my fantasy team for a year and half now. Hopefully I can find someone who hasn't been paying that close of attention and move him for a premium return. Hard to estimate his trade value though. Not producing well enough to trade to a win-now team, a little older than most rebuilding teams want.

On the plus side, Fitz is a guy who I still think will be a quality WR for at least another 5 years. The guy takes care of his body and lives football. I wish more players loved the game as he does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have high hopes for Fitzgerald this season. He's produced well in two games, and not so much in the other three. Two of those can be chalked up to him struggling through the hamstring injury. Last week's game was against the Panthers who have been pretty solid this year, based mainly on the pressure that the D-Line is putting on the quarterback.

He has a pretty rough line of defenses to play against however, and as a whole I'm trying to trade him based on name recognition for a younger upstart guy that people may be a little more willing to let go of (Torrey Smith, Pierre Garcon, etc.)

I still have high hopes for Fitzgerald this season. He's produced well in two games, and not so much in the other three. Two of those can be chalked up to him struggling through the hamstring injury. Last week's game was against the Panthers who have been pretty solid this year, based mainly on the pressure that the D-Line is putting on the quarterback.

He has a pretty rough line of defenses to play against however, and as a whole I'm trying to trade him based on name recognition for a younger upstart guy that people may be a little more willing to let go of (Torrey Smith, Pierre Garcon, etc.)
Seeing that he's facing the Niners and Seahawks the next two weeks, it might be wise to move him asap. I tried to offer him to the owner who lost Julio straight up for Sproles, and he wasn't interested :o

I've been trying to move him for the past 2 weeks with no takers. Palmer is awful, unless you want to sell for 50 cents on the dollar you're almost stuck holding at this point.

Fitz is and will always been one of my favorite players. I have him in dynasty and am really considering trading him. Every week he gets a WR1 ranking, but hes been producing WR3 numbers for his last 21 games. Every week the reports out of Arizona are how they will get Larry more involved. He gets the targets, but they aren't quality looks.

I've been worried about "selling low" on him, but he (his QBs) have been hurting my fantasy team for a year and half now. Hopefully I can find someone who hasn't been paying that close of attention and move him for a premium return. Hard to estimate his trade value though. Not producing well enough to trade to a win-now team, a little older than most rebuilding teams want.

On the plus side, Fitz is a guy who I still think will be a quality WR for at least another 5 years. The guy takes care of his body and lives football. I wish more players loved the game as he does.
I think you have assessed his situation spot on, especially looking at what his market to "buyers" might be.

Your last few sentences are the key in this. You might find a buyer who understands just how much of a pro's pro Fitz is. He is HOF. We know that. He has talent in spades and he is in a bad situation. Everyone knows that also. So, if you can find the buyer that gets that Fitz is a Wayne, a Mason, an AJ (the guys that take care of themselves and love the game), then you can probably sell him and cross your fingers he doesn't haunt you for the next 5 years.

I've been trying to move him for the past 2 weeks with no takers. Palmer is awful, unless you want to sell for 50 cents on the dollar you're almost stuck holding at this point.
Yup. I've also tried packaging him in deals with RB2 for an RB1, and no takers. It sucks because I love Fitz, always will, and I just want him to turn it around while he's on my roster. It feels like every big game is just a tease now.

He's sitting on my bench right now behind Blackmon, but I might flex him over Trent by the end of the week. Still flip-flopping on that one.

He's become one of those players that you don't want to start because he'll have a clunker, but you don't want to bench because he could go off, only for you to re-insert him the following week and end up with a clunker.

The real question here is if Arians is a good enough coach to adapt to a poor offensive line. A great example would be McCoy/Whisenhut in San Diego. That line is terrible yet they are making it happen. A great example of not adapting would be Mike Martz in Chicago. He just kept calling 7-step drops and getting Cutler killed. So which is Arians? I honestly don't know, but so far he's looking more Martz than McCoy.

I think you have assessed his situation spot on, especially looking at what his market to "buyers" might be.

Your last few sentences are the key in this. You might find a buyer who understands just how much of a pro's pro Fitz is. He is HOF. We know that. He has talent in spades and he is in a bad situation. Everyone knows that also. So, if you can find the buyer that gets that Fitz is a Wayne, a Mason, an AJ (the guys that take care of themselves and love the game), then you can probably sell him and cross your fingers he doesn't haunt you for the next 5 years.
This article has always stuck with me. He gave up his favorite foods and started eating things he didnt even like for the sake of football.

Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals obviously believes in the adage that you are what you eat. The Pro Bowl wide receiver has undergone a radical diet change that he hopes will help him extend his NFL career.

Fitzgerald, 29, began the Genotype diet, a concept based on cutting out certain foods depending on an individual’s blood type, this summer.

“The older you get, you start fine-tuning what works for you and what doesn’t work for you,” Fitzgerald told Yahoo! Sports. “You stick on the things that you know work and can help you have that longevity that you are looking for.

“A couple of friends of mine had tried it and I wanted to do something different. I have been on it three months and I feel great.”

The Genotype diet is the creation of naturopathic physician and author Dr. Peter D’Adamo. As with most dieting fads, the routine has met its share of controversy as well as attracted a loyal legion of disciples.

Critics claim there is little scientific evidence backing up D’Adamo’s claims that a diet structured around blood type can greatly enhance the way foods are processed and improve factors such as alertness and general well being.

However, Fitzgerald is an adamant believer and insists that overhauling his eating habits have not only helped him feel healthier, but increased his overall level of performance.

“There are certain things that I do – I don’t eat chicken or pork,” Fitzgerald said. “I stay away from red meat a lot; I eat fish most of the time. I think it makes me feel cleaner, not just body wise. I feel good.

“They take your blood, our blood types are all different. I am B+, so we digest some things better than others and some things we don’t digest well. So for instance, tomatoes. For me the acid has a kind of allergic reaction to my blood type.

As a result, Fitzgerald has stopped eating tomatoes and other favorite foods.

“Chicken … I am a black man, we love our chicken, but I don’t eat it anymore,” Fitzgerald said. “My genotype means I don’t process it as well as other things. But I eat lamb twice a week, that is a super food for me.

“My energy levels are off the charts, I can run all day, I breathe well and I sweat a lot so the toxins and impurities come out of my body. I stay away from too much sugary drinks, I just drink a lot of water and pee a lake pretty much.”

The real question here is if Arians is a good enough coach to adapt to a poor offensive line. A great example would be McCoy/Whisenhut in San Diego. That line is terrible yet they are making it happen. A great example of not adapting would be Mike Martz in Chicago. He just kept calling 7-step drops and getting Cutler killed. So which is Arians? I honestly don't know, but so far he's looking more Martz than McCoy.
Arians and Whisenhunt are cut from the same cloth -- good professional offensive coaches a step or two below the Shanahan / Reid level as offensive minds, but certainly very solid. The difference between SD and Arizona is Rivers >>>> Palmer at this point. Palmer has never been a great QB with pressure in his face, he needs to set his feet to maintain his accuracy, plus his decision making tends to be spotty when he feels heat. As he's gotten older and less mobile, these issues have gotten worse. AZ isn't a good place for him at all IMO.

1) Not sure WHY you would have been "huge on him" in pre-season

a) Cardinals had known O Line problems

b) Palmer can still make the throws BUT needs a clean pocket AND has no mobility

Neither of those things have changed one bit

2) Starting Blackmon over Fitz this week is an automatic play - Blackmon will be involved in a shootout and Fitz will be facing tough Niners DST in San Francisco

b) Palmer can still make the throws BUT needs a clean pocket AND has no mobility

2) Starting Blackmon over Fitz this week is an automatic play - Blackmon will be involved in a shootout and Fitz will be facing tough Niners DST in San Francisco
Fitz showed so much promise week 1 but due to his situation he has become more of a boom/bust type option rather than a #1.

I was going to go with Amendola in PPR this week especially considering Fitz's 49ers matchup.

Cardinals made o-line upgrades in the offseason. Palmer is arguably the best QB throwing to him since Warner. Sounds like you're looking back based on what we know now.

I think Fitz will get it together. The hamstring was a bigger issue than he let on. I think Arians will figure a way ton get his best playmaker the ball in better spots. There is still WR1 upside here, but it may not show up these next 2 weeks.

I think Fitz will get it together. The hamstring was a bigger issue than he let on. I think Arians will figure a way ton get his best playmaker the ball in better spots. There is still WR1 upside here, but it may not show up these next 2 weeks.
If there is a saving grace in this, it is Arians and his ability to make this work. THe QB, line, running game, etc isn't going to change for the better.

BUT...the defense now has Washington back and they aren't bad. If they can keep games within reach, they might become a team that relies on Fitz for several short-range catches each week.

If there is a saving grace in this, it is Arians and his ability to make this work. THe QB, line, running game, etc isn't going to change for the better.

BUT...the defense now has Washington back and they aren't bad. If they can keep games within reach, they might become a team that relies on Fitz for several short-range catches each week.
Or relies on dump-offs to the RBs

Arians and Whisenhunt are cut from the same cloth -- good professional offensive coaches a step or two below the Shanahan / Reid level as offensive minds, but certainly very solid. The difference between SD and Arizona is Rivers >>>> Palmer at this point. Palmer has never been a great QB with pressure in his face, he needs to set his feet to maintain his accuracy, plus his decision making tends to be spotty when he feels heat. As he's gotten older and less mobile, these issues have gotten worse. AZ isn't a good place for him at all IMO.
Nah, I do believe Rivers > Palmer, but not >>>>. A lot of this is on Arians. Palmer was better than this last year with worse targets, so I know it's easy to blame it on him, but that is pretty obviously not the case unless you believe he's just gotten significantly worse in one year.

Arians and Whisenhunt might be very similar if both given good offensive lines, but Arians has not adapted well so far. I'm not optimistic, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... He's still got time to turn it around. His team is 3-2.

Arians doesn't throw the ball to the RBs very much.

Arians doesn't throw the ball to the RBs very much.
Fair enough. Just don't think an improved defense is a good thing for Fitz. If anything, they will be playing more of a ball-control game so Palmer can get rid of the ball quickly.

Cardinals made o-line upgrades in the offseason. Palmer is arguably the best QB throwing to him since Warner. Sounds like you're looking back based on what we know now.
Updgrades to the O Line?

Signing Winston - yes

re-signing Levi Brown - no so much - they just gave him away for a bag of balls

Even IF you call that upgrading - and nobody here does - it is still well below average for NFL and at the bottom (yeah maybe tied with Lambs) of the NFC West.

And you must not be watching Cardinals games - look past just the number of sacks and add in hurries and number of rushers in the pocket - as I said that problem is magnfied with a non mobile QB who doesnt throw well with people in his face

Nah, I do believe Rivers > Palmer, but not >>>>. A lot of this is on Arians. Palmer was better than this last year with worse targets, so I know it's easy to blame it on him, but that is pretty obviously not the case unless you believe he's just gotten significantly worse in one year.

Arians and Whisenhunt might be very similar if both given good offensive lines, but Arians has not adapted well so far. I'm not optimistic, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... He's still got time to turn it around. His team is 3-2.
IMO most of it's on the o-line. Palmer was good last year throwing quickly to the RBs and TE in Oakland behind a better line -- Arians runs a much more vertical WR based passing game. Palmer is the wrong guy for this system given the turnstile in front of him -- although IMO he'd be fine with better protection. But he was likely the best cheap stopgap available, so hard to assess any blame here -- the Cards are not realistically a quick fix no matter who the coach might be.

Agree to disagree on Rivers / Palmer. Rivers looks like a totally different player this year to me than he was the past two years. Much more like the guy that made letting Brees go look like a reasonable decision as a young player.

Updgrades to the O Line?

Signing Winston - yes

re-signing Levi Brown - no so much - they just gave him away for a bag of balls

Even IF you call that upgrading - and nobody here does - it is still well below average for NFL and at the bottom (yeah maybe tied with Lambs) of the NFC West.

And you must not be watching Cardinals games - look past just the number of sacks and add in hurries and number of rushers in the pocket - as I said that problem is magnfied with a non mobile QB who doesnt throw well with people in his face
Yet Fitzgerald finished as the 6th ranked WR in 2011 with a vastly inferior line and a combination of Skelton and Kolb at the helm. Stop making it sound like no one else was huge on Fitzgerald before the season started.

One of my favorite players, but I just don't see it clicking this year. I thought he'd have a nice bounceback season, but I think that's looking pretty unlikely now.

This week I'll start Gordon, Shorts, and Antonio Brown as my receivers. Fitzgerald will be on my bench. Which means he'll probably go off, knowing my luck...so everyone else, start him with confidence....

The O-line was always going to be an issue, but the fact is that most fantasy talking heads thought Palmer would be much better and a significant upgrade at QB for Fitz. Remember when Rob Housler was supposed to be a great sleeper as well, due to the great Carson Palmer slinging the rock around? He's been an upgrade (couldn't be worse) but he hasn't played well and their offense is still pretty brutal.

The O-line was always going to be an issue, but the fact is that most fantasy talking heads thought Palmer would be much better and a significant upgrade at QB for Fitz. Remember when Rob Housler was supposed to be a great sleeper as well, due to the great Carson Palmer slinging the rock around? He's been an upgrade (couldn't be worse) but he hasn't played well and their offense is still pretty brutal.
As was pointed out earlier in the thread, this offense being a mess should have been a surprise to nobody. I have no idea why so many fantasy talking heads thought Palmer was some sort of savior. He's an immobile QB in a down field passing attack behind one of the worst olines in the league. This had disaster written all offer it.

I know this isn't the AC forum, was just offered my choice of L.Bell or Lacy for Fitz (and I need a rb) so..would you make that move straight up and which one would you think has higher ceiling for rest of the year ppr redraft, lacy or bell?

I know this isn't the AC forum, was just offered my choice of L.Bell or Lacy for Fitz (and I need a rb) so..would you make that move straight up and which one would you think has higher ceiling for rest of the year ppr redraft, lacy or bell?
I would take Lacy and run, personally.

and yet you still posted it here ...

Mister CIA said:
I'm trying to move Fitz+ for Hakeem Nicks. So tired of waiting for this ship to come in.
Trying to do the same exact deal now that a Pierre Garcon deal was rejected. At 3-2, I can't afford to wait for him and his offense to get rolling. Perhaps the 5-0 team can.

Larry Fitzgerald dealing with hamstring trouble again

Posted by Josh Alper on October 11, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT

The Cardinals will be in San Francisco on Sunday and one of the team’s best players may be at less than 100 percent.

Assuming, of course, that he’s able to play. Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has been limited all week in practice by a hamstring injury and is listed as questionable on the team’s final injury report of the week.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that the injury is in a different spot than the one that forced Fitzgerald out of one game and hampered him in another earlier this season. Somers’ guess is that Fitzgerald winds up playing, but there probably won’t be any kind of confirmation of that until the wideout goes through warmups on Sunday.

Fitzgerald has 24 catches for 288 yards and three touchdowns this season. His numbers haven’t been helped by the hamstring issues or by Carson Palmer’s penchant for handing the ball to the other team. Palmer has nine interceptions and a lost fumble through five games, which is a lot of lost opportunities for Fitzgerald and the Cardinals offense.

I think Floyd and Ellington finally generated some breathing room for Fitz, and the running game (+the line? +drunk driving?) finally slowed down the pass rush a bit.

Oddly enough, I think an improved defense can actually help the offense's numbers. Some QBs/offenses may thrive during garbage time, but I'm not sure Palmer/Arian's O do. If the improving Cards D can keep things close, they can run the ball more. Running the ball more will slow down the pass rush & setup PA passes.

Even as a Fitz owner, I must admit his game wouldn't have been _that_ great w/o the missed tackles that led to his monster TD.

I think Floyd and Ellington finally generated some breathing room for Fitz, and the running game (+the line? +drunk driving?) finally slowed down the pass rush a bit.

Oddly enough, I think an improved defense can actually help the offense's numbers. Some QBs/offenses may thrive during garbage time, but I'm not sure Palmer/Arian's O do. If the improving Cards D can keep things close, they can run the ball more. Running the ball more will slow down the pass rush & setup PA passes.

Even as a Fitz owner, I must admit his game wouldn't have been _that_ great w/o the missed tackles that led to his monster TD.
A lot of peoples stats would be nothing without certain big plays, part of the game.

Results are what matters and he has 4 TDs, not bad.

A lot of peoples stats would be nothing without certain big plays, part of the game.

lol - I knew someone would latch onto that one statement, ignoring the rest of my post.

A big play that results from the player's ability is one thing. His TD as a result of piss poor tackling is quite another.

Or both :) Looks like it worked for one week anyway.

lol - I knew someone would latch onto that one statement, ignoring the rest of my post.

A big play that results from the player's ability is one thing. His TD as a result of piss poor tackling is quite another.
Be an optimist: He had the ability to run about 50+ of those yards without anyone tackling him.

Point being, any way you slice it, it's points for your fantasy team and those points are derived from opportunity; something Fitz will continue to get the lion share of.

Is he what we thought we might get back to this season? No. But he is still one of those guys that if you have to put a guy in your lineup and your options aren't Dez, Aj Green, or Welker, then he has every bit a chance as the rest to put up a 15-20 point day.

Is he what we thought we might get back to this season? No.
I think that's all he meant by the missed tackle statement. Between his offense, the Cardinals schedule and his hamstring I just don't see much more than a low WR1 this year.

With the hammie issues I sold on him. Gore/Finley for Fitz/Dwill. Figure the points he put up were partly due to San Fran missing their defensive leader. Double hammy issues were enough to sell for me, great athlete just worried about health

I've been trying hard to sell him. I'm hoping that this big game will help to make that happen, but so far the interest in my league has been cold at best. As it stands he's my WR3, so it's not terrible...but I simply don't trust him week to week.

Users who are viewing this thread