Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Squintz82

Larry Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald now lines up outside in two-wide sets and shifts into the slot in three- and four-wide formations. It's the way Bruce Arians extends the careers of once-elite receivers that are beginning to decline.

Reggie Wayne's 2012 with more TDs is coming. Palmer wasn't sharp last night, but the line was giving him some time, and he's still looking for Larry. I really like the Cardinal's offense this season.

I think that's wildly optimistic. The QBs are different, the pieces around them are different, the divisions they play in are different, etc. Wayne had almost 200 targets in 2012, I don't think Fitz ends up anywhere near that number.

Fitzgerald now lines up outside in two-wide sets and shifts into the slot in three- and four-wide formations. It's the way Bruce Arians extends the careers of once-elite receivers that are beginning to decline.

Reggie Wayne's 2012 with more TDs is coming. Palmer wasn't sharp last night, but the line was giving him some time, and he's still looking for Larry. I really like the Cardinal's offense this season.

I think that's wildly optimistic. The QBs are different, the pieces around them are different, the divisions they play in are different, etc. Wayne had almost 200 targets in 2012, I don't think Fitz ends up anywhere near that number.

194 to be exact. Fitz will likely be closer to 150.

So you expect him to put up similar receptions and yards with more TDs while having ~44 fewer targets? Sticking with wildly optimistic.

I agree. I live in Indy, and in 2012, we had Reggie Wayne and rookie T.Y. Hilton. Add in 2 rookie TE's and who else is Luck supposed to pass to? On top of that, we had a terrible defense and as is always the case with the Colts, zero run game. Not near the same situation as AZ. Way better Defense, great receiving core, and you'd be hard pressed to make an argument that they don't have a better run game than the Colts from 2012.

I think Fitz is playing out pretty close to his floor for ADP(meaning safe value), but I don't see him putting up better than #13.

:goodposting: Floyd & Brown >>>>> Hilton and whoever the 3rd WR on the Colts was that year. I think the Wayne/Fitz comparison is a fairly weak one.

So you expect him to put up similar receptions and yards with more TDs while having ~44 fewer targets? Sticking with wildly optimistic.

I think he could easily catch 100 balls on 150 targets. Especially if he's taking snaps from the slot.

I go back and forth on Fitz vs. Floyd a lot. In PPR, it really comes down to how many receptions you envision Fitz getting this year. His YPR has declined to ~11.5 in recent years and whether that's because of him slowing down or the way he's being utilized, it's the baseline I like to work with. Just to hit the 1,000 yard mark, he'd need to secure at least 87 catches this year, if that puts things into perspective. The real thing going for Fitz is how heavily he's being targeted in the RZ by Palmer. Unless I'm mistaken, he saw the 2nd most RZ looks (27) last year of all WRs (Calvin had 29, Graham had 28, Jordy had 26). This is important and this isn't changing.

If Floyd sees a 15-20% bump in production, like most experts are predicting, him and Fitz become neck and neck (if you believe Fitz is in like for something like 85-87/1000/8-10) thus their relatively close ADP. I figure Floyd represents more upside while Fitz is the safer bet in PPR. They definitely make for a very interesting and possibly potent tandem, at least.

Just for the sake of argument, Luck was throwing at a 54.1% completion rate in 2012. Palmer was at 63.3% last year. So it would theoretically take far fewer targets from Palmer to reach 100 receptions for Fitzgerald than Wayne from Luck.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention once again that Fitzgerald injured BOTH hamstrings at different times last year. A healthy Fitzgerald + Palmer + improved line = recipe for success

Just for the sake of argument, Luck was throwing at a 54.1% completion rate in 2012. Palmer was at 63.3% last year. So it would theoretically take far fewer targets from Palmer to reach 100 receptions for Fitzgerald than Wayne from Luck.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention once again that Fitzgerald injured BOTH hamstrings at different times last year. A healthy Fitzgerald + Palmer + improved line = recipe for success

I don't have a problem expecting an increase, but he's calling for ~24 more catches and 400 more yards on only ~14 more targets. That's a massive increase in efficiency, and I doubt his ypr is going to increase (a lot) considering the move to the slot.

I don't have a problem expecting an increase, but he's calling for ~24 more catches and 400 more yards on only ~14 more targets. That's a massive increase in efficiency, and I doubt his ypr is going to increase (a lot) considering the move to the slot.

You're making it seem like Fitzgerald has never had 1,300+ yards before. He's bested it by over 100 yards 4 times in his career on ypr's of 13.7, 14.1, 14.9, and 17.6. He's younger than Wayne was in 2012 and is playing the position Wayne played in Arians' offense. Palmer is better than Luck was as a rookie.

People seem to forget how awesome Larry Fitzgerald is. 1,300 and 9 isn't that big of a stretch.

• Like 1

You're making it seem like Fitzgerald has never had 1,300+ yards before. He's bested it by over 100 yards 4 times in his career on ypr's of 13.7, 14.1, 14.9, and 17.6. He's younger than Wayne was in 2012 and is playing the position Wayne played in Arians' offense. Palmer is better than Luck was as a rookie.

People seem to forget how awesome Larry Fitzgerald is. 1,300 and 9 isn't that big of a stretch.

No, I'm making it seem like Fitzgerald hasn't had 1000 yards or a ypr above 11.6 since 2011, and it's been 7 years since he's had 100 receptions (which came on more than 150 targets). He was in the same exact system with the same exact coach and QB last year when he had 950 yards on a 11.6 ypr. You expect him to jump to ~13.5 ypr by moving to the slot?

Like I said, another year in the system, staying healthy (hopefully), etc. gives reason for some optimism, but not that much IMO. Palmer being better than Luck as a rookie is very debatable as well.

Larry Fitzgerald is awesome. That doesn't mean he's going to put up those numbers in this situation.

I think he could easily catch 100 balls on 150 targets. Especially if he's taking snaps from the slot.

A little tongue in check, but I'll agree with that because his hands are so good. I think they said last night that he literally was credited with dropping one (ONE) ball last year. With hands like his, if he DOES get 194 targets, he will catch 170 of them. §

No, I'm making it seem like Fitzgerald hasn't had 1000 yards or a ypr above 11.6 since 2011, and it's been 7 years since he's had 100 receptions (which came on more than 150 targets). He was in the same exact system with the same exact coach and QB last year when he had 950 yards on a 11.6 ypr. You expect him to jump to ~13.5 ypr by moving to the slot?

Like I said, another year in the system, staying healthy (hopefully), etc. gives reason for some optimism, but not that much IMO. Palmer being better than Luck as a rookie is very debatable as well.

Larry Fitzgerald is awesome. That doesn't mean he's going to put up those numbers in this situation.

Fantasy players have such short memories. So because he hasn't had 1,000 yards in the last two seasons, of which he probably had the most horrid QB play of all time in 2012 and gutted out hamstring/concussion injuries in 2013, he can't produce a yardage total less than something he's already surpassed 4 times?

Wayne had 960 yards in 2011 (Only 6 more than Larry's 2013). Plenty of people were kicking dirt on him after that season as well.

Luck had 4,374 yards on 627 attempts in 2012. Palmer had 4,274 yards on 572 attempts in 2013. Palmer can certainly outproduce rookie Luck in 2014.

I'll stop trying to justify the comparison. I like Larry for 95/1,300/9.

I expect healthy hamstrings will help his YPR more than anything. Floyd will command some coverage, but Fitzgerald is still going to be Palmer's go to guy. Touchdowns are difficult to predict so I don't take this statement lightly: If Fitzgerald is healthy, I'll be shocked if he has less than 10 TDs

Fantasy players have such short memories. So because he hasn't had 1,000 yards in the last two seasons, of which he probably had the most horrid QB play of all time in 2012 and gutted out hamstring/concussion injuries in 2013, he can't produce a yardage total less than something he's already surpassed 4 times?

Wayne had 960 yards in 2011 (Only 6 more than Larry's 2013). Plenty of people were kicking dirt on him after that season as well.

Luck had 4,374 yards on 627 attempts in 2012. Palmer had 4,274 yards on 572 attempts in 2013. Palmer can certainly outproduce rookie Luck in 2014.

I'll stop trying to justify the comparison. I like Larry for 95/1,300/9.

Fantasy players are also poor at reading comprehension and get very defensive when someone doesn't agree with them. I never said he can't do that, only that it's very optimistic to expect it when not that much has changed.

Wayne also had 111 catches for 1350+ yards the season before the down year, and his ypr were identical in 2011 and 2012. Most importantly he had an entirely new coaching staff, offensive system, and went from catching balls from Collins, Orlovski, and Painter to Andrew Luck. The much better comparison would be 2012 for Wayne to 2013 for Fitzgerald- many people had high expectations based on the changes (myself included) which he didn't live up to (sure, injuries were a factor).

Yes, Palmer can outproduce rookie Luck, but once again that's different from saying he is better than he was.

You don't need to justify anything, I just think it's a pretty bad comparison since the circumstances are very different.

Did Fitzgerald actually play the "Wayne position" in Arians' offense last season? I do not know. I think we assumed he would play that role, but don't recall it materializing.

The news that Larry will be outside in 2 WR sets, and in the slot in 3-4 WR sets seems new. Matching him up against smaller nickel corners in passing formations will be a nightmare for defenses.

If Ellington doesn't play, do we see a boost to Fitz and Floyd?

You need some semblance of a run game to keep defenses honest. I don't see how this boosts either; I'd rather have teams worried about Ellington.

You need some semblance of a run game to keep defenses honest. I don't see how this boosts either; I'd rather have teams worried about Ellington.

For as plodding as plodding as Dwyer and Taylor are, if one of them can grind out close to 4 YPC it will be enough to do that.

With Ellington out, that's 5-6 targets a game that will primarily be going to Fitz and Floyd.

They could convert his $8M salary to a signing bonus spread out the 4 years left on his contract so it would reduce his 2015 cap number by $6M to $17.6M.

If they release Palmer that frees up $10M and using that towards Fitz brings his cap number to $7.6M next year.

Edited by cstu

For as plodding as plodding as Dwyer and Taylor are, if one of them can grind out close to 4 YPC it will be enough to do that.

With Ellington out, that's 5-6 targets a game that will primarily be going to Fitz and Floyd.

Good point. They will go to Fitz first and foremost as he's working out of the slot. Still, the threat of Ellington is real, enough to keep defenses on their toes. I'm going to assume it's a wash for now and pay closer attention to the offensive dynamic come Sunday, assuming Ellington sits.

They could convert his $8M salary to a signing bonus spread out the 4 years left on his contract so it would reduce his 2015 cap number by $6M to $17.6M.

If they release Palmer that frees up $10M and using that towards Fitz brings his cap number to $7.6M next year.

There are ways they could do it, but it wouldn't be easy and probably doesn't make sense. Unless he agrees to take less money, I think it's likely he's gone after this year.

Even if they do what you suggested, they would still be paying him $16 mil next year, and they would still need to sign a QB.

There are ways they could do it, but it wouldn't be easy and probably doesn't make sense. Unless he agrees to take less money, I think it's likely he's gone after this year.

Even if they do what you suggested, they would still be paying him $16 mil next year, and they would still need to sign a QB.

If Logan Thomas looks capable of starting next year then they can keep Fitz.

If Logan Thomas looks capable of starting next year then they can keep Fitz.

Like I said, they can, but would it make sense? I love Fitz, but he hasn't lived up to his contract the last two seasons. Still need to see how this one plays out, but I doubt he's going to justify a $16 mil salary in 2015. Going with Logan Thomas doesn't scream "super bowl run" either.

I basically need one catch from him to win one of my games tonight. So far this has been a cruel joke.

The funny thing is that he hasn't even been targeted. Just a total decoy out there.

Edited by EBF
  • Like 1

Almost looks as if SD backfield is sitting back in zone coverage, and Fitz is drawing coverage towards him in open space, which allows others to get open. Almost seems as if using Fitz as a way of opening space for others against the zone is the gameplan.

Palmer hitting so many different receivers is testament to it somewhat working.

Almost looks as if SD backfield is sitting back in zone coverage, and Fitz is drawing coverage towards him in open space, which allows others to get open. Almost seems as if using Fitz as a way of opening space for others against the zone is the gameplan.

Palmer hitting so many different receivers is testament to it somewhat working.

That's a really expensive decoy

I don't think Arians is thinking about Fitz's ADP, or the contract discussions that are bound to happen to address the near $24M cap hit Fitz brings next year.

He just cares about winning.

If the tape bears it out, of course he would use Fitz as a decoy if it meant exploiting a weakness in the SD D. They've used Fitz before as a decoy, though not often.

Agree with you that at the very least, they needed to use Fitz in the fourth to score and create a one possession game. But they scored anyway, in large part thanks to underneath dumps and wheels that were open because Fitz and other receivers was clearing out middle and deep space.

Seems counterintuitive to use your best receiver as a decoy...unless it leads to a W.

Fitz is and will always been one of my favorite players. I have him in dynasty and am really considering trading him. Every week he gets a WR1 ranking, but hes been producing WR3 numbers for his last 21 games. Every week the reports out of Arizona are how they will get Larry more involved. He gets the targets, but they aren't quality looks.

I've been worried about "selling low" on him, but he (his QBs) have been hurting my fantasy team for a year and half now. Hopefully I can find someone who hasn't been paying that close of attention and move him for a premium return. Hard to estimate his trade value though. Not producing well enough to trade to a win-now team, a little older than most rebuilding teams want.

On the plus side, Fitz is a guy who I still think will be a quality WR for at least another 5 years. The guy takes care of his body and lives football. I wish more players loved the game as he does.

I think you have assessed his situation spot on, especially looking at what his market to "buyers" might be.

Your last few sentences are the key in this. You might find a buyer who understands just how much of a pro's pro Fitz is. He is HOF. We know that. He has talent in spades and he is in a bad situation. Everyone knows that also. So, if you can find the buyer that gets that Fitz is a Wayne, a Mason, an AJ (the guys that take care of themselves and love the game), then you can probably sell him and cross your fingers he doesn't haunt you for the next 5 years.

This article has always stuck with me. He gave up his favorite foods and started eating things he didnt even like for the sake of football.

Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals obviously believes in the adage that you are what you eat. The Pro Bowl wide receiver has undergone a radical diet change that he hopes will help him extend his NFL career.

Fitzgerald, 29, began the Genotype diet, a concept based on cutting out certain foods depending on an individual’s blood type, this summer.

“The older you get, you start fine-tuning what works for you and what doesn’t work for you,” Fitzgerald told Yahoo! Sports. “You stick on the things that you know work and can help you have that longevity that you are looking for.

“A couple of friends of mine had tried it and I wanted to do something different. I have been on it three months and I feel great.”

The Genotype diet is the creation of naturopathic physician and author Dr. Peter D’Adamo. As with most dieting fads, the routine has met its share of controversy as well as attracted a loyal legion of disciples.

Critics claim there is little scientific evidence backing up D’Adamo’s claims that a diet structured around blood type can greatly enhance the way foods are processed and improve factors such as alertness and general well being.

However, Fitzgerald is an adamant believer and insists that overhauling his eating habits have not only helped him feel healthier, but increased his overall level of performance.

“There are certain things that I do – I don’t eat chicken or pork,” Fitzgerald said. “I stay away from red meat a lot; I eat fish most of the time. I think it makes me feel cleaner, not just body wise. I feel good.

“They take your blood, our blood types are all different. I am B+, so we digest some things better than others and some things we don’t digest well. So for instance, tomatoes. For me the acid has a kind of allergic reaction to my blood type.

As a result, Fitzgerald has stopped eating tomatoes and other favorite foods.

“Chicken … I am a black man, we love our chicken, but I don’t eat it anymore,” Fitzgerald said. “My genotype means I don’t process it as well as other things. But I eat lamb twice a week, that is a super food for me.

“My energy levels are off the charts, I can run all day, I breathe well and I sweat a lot so the toxins and impurities come out of my body. I stay away from too much sugary drinks, I just drink a lot of water and pee a lake pretty much.”

this is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard of or read. if i had read this i would have placed larry on my do not draft list. ya buddy, lets stay away from the some of the best and leanest sources of protein. its no wonder his career has tanked. he has likely lost a ton of muscle and therefore explosiveness. gd i only have myself to blame and should certainly research more.

his career is shot. he can clearly get no separation. and it is bc he gave up protein. wat a moran.

he should not lose 2 steps at 31 yrs old. well, if you listen to quack drs and put crap in your body and likely have a terribad workout program if your diet is any indication then ya, you lose 2 steps and destroy your career. that is clearly what happened here.

find another modern wr who has fell apart at 31? i mean, reggie wayne is still going strong at 37. he proly still eats meat to. lol larry. lol diets. lol quack drs. lol me for drafting this naive clown.

he should not lose 2 steps at 31 yrs old. well, if you listen to quack drs and put crap in your body and likely have a terribad workout program if your diet is any indication then ya, you lose 2 steps and destroy your career. that is clearly what happened here.

find another modern wr who has fell apart at 31? i mean, reggie wayne is still going strong at 37. he proly still eats meat to. lol larry. lol diets. lol quack drs. lol me for drafting this naive clown.

Chad Johnson, Keyshawn Johnson.

I think Palmer is horse#### to not even look at Fitz until the end....well at least next game, teams will load up on Floyd and I think Fitz will explode as a result....on a lot of benches though.

• Like 1

Not sure why Palmer kept trying to throw fades in the end zone, even when Fitz was 1 on 1 for that 2 point conversion. Quick slant would've been an easy conversion. How many fades did Palmer throw away?

I'm in 5 leagues and don't own him and think this is embarrassing. He deserves much better.

Yeah, I'm sure Fitz himself would rather go back to 2010 / 2011 when the team sucked but he was leading the league in targets.

I basically need one catch from him to win one of my games tonight. So far this has been a cruel joke.

The funny thing is that he hasn't even been targeted. Just a total decoy out there.

Ya don't get why he didn't even look his way.. I needed 31 points from him to win my match up because Bush sucked and it became Brutally obvious in a hurry I wasn't gonna get the 31 in a ppr mind you but I wasn't even gonna get 5. I went to bed at halftime thinking he would end with a 4-40 night but the 1-22 stings..... wow for a 4th round pick, 1 pick away from my guy Cordarelle... That's Fn depressing... I don't understand why a HOF top notch wr who looks healthy would be getting less targets then rookie John Brown???? Can anyone answer this or am i just looking to into things?

Fitz is and will always been one of my favorite players. I have him in dynasty and am really considering trading him. Every week he gets a WR1 ranking, but hes been producing WR3 numbers for his last 21 games. Every week the reports out of Arizona are how they will get Larry more involved. He gets the targets, but they aren't quality looks.

I've been worried about "selling low" on him, but he (his QBs) have been hurting my fantasy team for a year and half now. Hopefully I can find someone who hasn't been paying that close of attention and move him for a premium return. Hard to estimate his trade value though. Not producing well enough to trade to a win-now team, a little older than most rebuilding teams want.

On the plus side, Fitz is a guy who I still think will be a quality WR for at least another 5 years. The guy takes care of his body and lives football. I wish more players loved the game as he does.

I think you have assessed his situation spot on, especially looking at what his market to "buyers" might be.

Your last few sentences are the key in this. You might find a buyer who understands just how much of a pro's pro Fitz is. He is HOF. We know that. He has talent in spades and he is in a bad situation. Everyone knows that also. So, if you can find the buyer that gets that Fitz is a Wayne, a Mason, an AJ (the guys that take care of themselves and love the game), then you can probably sell him and cross your fingers he doesn't haunt you for the next 5 years.

This article has always stuck with me. He gave up his favorite foods and started eating things he didnt even like for the sake of football.

Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals obviously believes in the adage that you are what you eat. The Pro Bowl wide receiver has undergone a radical diet change that he hopes will help him extend his NFL career.

Fitzgerald, 29, began the Genotype diet, a concept based on cutting out certain foods depending on an individual’s blood type, this summer.

“The older you get, you start fine-tuning what works for you and what doesn’t work for you,” Fitzgerald told Yahoo! Sports. “You stick on the things that you know work and can help you have that longevity that you are looking for.

“A couple of friends of mine had tried it and I wanted to do something different. I have been on it three months and I feel great.”

The Genotype diet is the creation of naturopathic physician and author Dr. Peter D’Adamo. As with most dieting fads, the routine has met its share of controversy as well as attracted a loyal legion of disciples.

Critics claim there is little scientific evidence backing up D’Adamo’s claims that a diet structured around blood type can greatly enhance the way foods are processed and improve factors such as alertness and general well being.

However, Fitzgerald is an adamant believer and insists that overhauling his eating habits have not only helped him feel healthier, but increased his overall level of performance.

“There are certain things that I do – I don’t eat chicken or pork,” Fitzgerald said. “I stay away from red meat a lot; I eat fish most of the time. I think it makes me feel cleaner, not just body wise. I feel good.

“They take your blood, our blood types are all different. I am B+, so we digest some things better than others and some things we don’t digest well. So for instance, tomatoes. For me the acid has a kind of allergic reaction to my blood type.

As a result, Fitzgerald has stopped eating tomatoes and other favorite foods.

“Chicken … I am a black man, we love our chicken, but I don’t eat it anymore,” Fitzgerald said. “My genotype means I don’t process it as well as other things. But I eat lamb twice a week, that is a super food for me.

“My energy levels are off the charts, I can run all day, I breathe well and I sweat a lot so the toxins and impurities come out of my body. I stay away from too much sugary drinks, I just drink a lot of water and pee a lake pretty much.”

this is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard of or read. if i had read this i would have placed larry on my do not draft list. ya buddy, lets stay away from the some of the best and leanest sources of protein. its no wonder his career has tanked. he has likely lost a ton of muscle and therefore explosiveness. gd i only have myself to blame and should certainly research more.

his career is shot. he can clearly get no separation. and it is bc he gave up protein. wat a moran.

yes im in the same boat my friend it sucks because I was hopin for 80-1200-10 and looks like thats a LONG SHOT.

Ya don't get why he didn't even look his way.. I needed 31 points from him to win my match up because Bush sucked and it became Brutally obvious in a hurry I wasn't gonna get the 31 in a ppr mind you but I wasn't even gonna get 5. I went to bed at halftime thinking he would end with a 4-40 night but the 1-22 stings..... wow for a 4th round pick, 1 pick away from my guy Cordarelle... That's Fn depressing... I don't understand why a HOF top notch wr who looks healthy would be getting less targets then rookie John Brown???? Can anyone answer this or am i just looking to into things?

Scheme, play calling, coverage, pressure, etc. Pretty much all WRs are inconsistent on a week to week basis -- by the end of the year it'll even out and Fitz will likely be at the top of the AZ target list (or at worst a very close second to Floyd). If Fitzgerald is drawing the top corner with safety help over the top, and Brown / TE / Ellington is singled up on a nickel DB, it's just not a high percentage play to throw into the strength of the coverage.

Trade? I have not heard ANYTHING, but is it possible? Its a huge contract right? I'm just saying it reminds me of Moss last game in NE. Out there all night and just a couple of 'safe' targets.

Injury? I know he had something minor and was absent a practice.... Maybe they are just being overly cautious? Remember how Roddy tried to push through it last year and be a decoy?

I KNEW Floyd was the new #1. And Floyd rightfully went before Fitz, but that was just sad to see Josh Brown and Houssler get more love than Fitz.