Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Squintz82

Larry Fitzgerald

I see both sides of the argument and think he is the safest play with short and intermediate routes for Stanton.  Also like his chances of finding the endzone.

But I'm leaning toward benching him for Tyrell Williams vs OAK.  Somewhat trivial but I have DJ going tonight and dont like having 2 players going on TNF.

Do what you want but Fitzgerald is a pros pro and I would never think about benching him for guys like Mike Wallace or Tyrell Williams.

• Like 1

In PPR leagues FItzgerald is currently WR 9. He is tied for 10th in targets with Beckham and Marshall.

This is not a player you bench smh.

11 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

In PPR leagues FItzgerald is currently WR 9. He is tied for 10th in targets with Beckham and Marshall.

Would you play him over either one of Cooper, Edelman or Matthews?

18 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

In his last 10 reg season games Fitzgerald is averaging 56.9 yards and 0.5 TDs per game.  In 8 of those 10 he's had less than 66 yards or failed to find the endzone.  Yes, you can accuse me of cherry picking but he is not an automatic start, especially with Stanton at QB where his numbers have been even worse.

I love Fitzgerald as a football player and still think he is a very valuable FF commodity.  But again he is not an automatic start or a smh worthy unbenchable player at age 33 playing on a short week, with a backup QB.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Would you play him over either one of Cooper, Edelman or Matthews?

I was just thinking about this.

Yes I would play Fitzgerald over anyone except AJ Green, Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones.

There are another 10-15 guys where it would be a tough choice I think such as Marvin Jones, Crabtree, Sanders, Cooper, Edelman, Hilton, Landry, Beckham, D Thomas, Baldwin, Marshall, Jeffrey, Robinson, Diggs or the two Benjamins. But Fitzgeralds track record of consistency would have me leaning towards Fitzgerald anyways.

Yeah Drew Stanton is not good but I don't think Fiztgerald is as dependent on match up or good QB play to be successful.

I haven't looked at all of the match ups for the above mentioned players, but I don't think SF is a bad match up for Fitzgerald.

I would expect Stanton to lean more on Fitzgerald than the other WR and him playing instead of Palmer hurts Brown and Johnson more than I think it hurts Fitz.

I may like Fitzgerald more than most people though. I have never been more confident of a WR prospect before they entered the NFL than I was with Fitzgerald and his career has backed that up for the most part.

He did have some down seasons from 2012-2014 which was partially because of poor QB play, but he was also injured in 2014 as part of that. In 2012 Arians wasn't the coach. In 2013 he still scored 10 TDs over the season.

I guess we could look more specifically for how well Fitzgerald did in games with Drew Stanton and Arians. Maybe that would be reason to have some pause, but 2014 Fitzgerald was also injured, so that was a factor in his lower than normal performance that season as well.

Edited by Biabreakable

4 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I was just thinking about this.

Yes I would play Fitzgerald over anyone except AJ Green, Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones.

There are another 10-15 guys where it would be a tough choice I think such as Marvin Jones, Crabtree, Sanders, Cooper, Edelman, Hilton, Landry, Beckham, D Thomas, Baldwin, Marshall, Jeffrey, Robinson, Diggs or the two Benjamins. But Fitzgeralds track record of consistency would have me leaning towards Fitzgerald anyways.

Yeah Drew Stanton is not good but I don't think Fiztgerald is as dependent on match up or good QB play to be successful.

I haven't looked at all of the match ups for the above mentioned players, but I don't think SF is a bad match up for Fitzgerald.

I would expect Stanton to lean more on Fitzgerald than the other WR and him playing instead of Palmer hurts Brown and Johnson more than I think it hurts Fitz.

I may like Fitzgerald more than most people though. I have never been more confident of a WR prospect before they entered the NFL than I was with Fitzgerald and his career has backed that up for the most part.

He did have some down seasons from 2012-2014 which was partially because of poor QB play, but he was also injured in 2014 as part of that. In 2012 Arians wasn't the coach. In 2013 he still scored 10 TDs over the season.

I guess we could look more specifically for how well Fitzgerald did in games with Drew Stanton and Arians. Maybe that would be reason to have some pause, but 2014 Fitzgerald was also injured, so that was a factor in his lower than normal performance that season as well.

:thumbup: 

I'm benching him and all cardinals not named David Johnson. Stanton is really bad and has looked horrible any time he has touched the field this year, including preseason. I think it's a mistake to play Fitz unless you are really desperate.

I'm also playing the San Fran D in every league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Wouldn't have high expectations for any Cards WR. Such a small pie and gonna be contending with David Johnson (and perhaps Ellington) for pass looks. Stanton looked like a guy that hadn't thrown in a couple years at the end of last week's game.

And some food for thought. Stanton started 5 road games in 2014 for the Cards. Threw 1 total touchdown and surpassed 167 yards passing once. And the Niners are the league's worst rush defense......that just lost their best defensive player.

David Johnson is gonna eat. Eat some more. Then some more. 

If I wasnt starting Johnson I'd be more inclined to start Fitz. 

He's attractive b/c Stanton will likely use him as a safety valve and he's good in the RZ.  And Baldwin torched SF earlier this year on a lot of the intermediate crossing route stuff that Fitz excels at.  SF's offensive tempo under Kelly also means likely additional plays and opportunities for the ARI offense.  So I am tempted to start Fitz as well.

But Stanton is BAD and I do think ARI will attempt to control the game on the ground and to take pressure off of him.  The loss of Bowman is a huge blow and I think ARI can be successful running the football and dominating on D.  

I appreciate kuttas perspective on this one. My appreciation for Fitzgerald may be clouding my point of view here.

2014 Fitgerald with Stanton as the starter

Gm 2 10 targets 6 receptions 51 yards
Gm 3 7 targets 3 receptions 34 yards
Gm 4 7 targets 3 receptions 57 yards
Gm 9 10 targets 7 receptions 112 yards Palmer played most of this game, Stanton only had 5 pass attempts.
Gm 10 4 targets 2 receptions 33 yards Fitz was injured in this game and missed the next 2 games
Gm 13 9 targets 4 receptions 34 yards
Gm 14 10 targets 7 receptions 30 yards Stanton was injured in this game so Ryan Lindley played part of it.
Gm 15 11 targets 4 reception 33 yards Lindley
Gm 16 4 targets 2 receptions 29 yards Lindley

This is not good. 

Fitzgerald was remarkably better in games 5-9 with Carson Palmer playing. Fitzgerald was not completely healthy when he did return from his injury that occured in game 10 which makes this analysis more problematic.

Edited by Biabreakable
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, VaTerp said:

If I wasnt starting Johnson I'd be more inclined to start Fitz. 

He's attractive b/c Stanton will likely use him as a safety valve and he's good in the RZ.  And Baldwin torched SF earlier this year on a lot of the intermediate crossing route stuff that Fitz excels at.  SF's offensive tempo under Kelly also means likely additional plays and opportunities for the ARI offense.  So I am tempted to start Fitz as well.

But Stanton is BAD and I do think ARI will attempt to control the game on the ground and to take pressure off of him.  The loss of Bowman is a huge blow and I think ARI can be successful running the football and dominating on D.  

SF defense is worse against the run than the pass so far this season also.

I guess I just hadn't thought this through yet.

4 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

SF defense is worse against the run than the pass so far this season also.

I guess I just hadn't thought this through yet.

This is a tough one for me.  I have nothing but respect for Fitzgerald and if Palmer was playing it would be an easy choice.

Stanton, especially on a short week and on the road, gives me pause.

Obviously it's going to depend on your options, but no way he goes into my lineup with Drew Stanton at the helm.

He's really, really not good.

31 minutes ago, VaTerp said:

This is a tough one for me.  I have nothing but respect for Fitzgerald and if Palmer was playing it would be an easy choice.

Stanton, especially on a short week and on the road, gives me pause.

Yeah the targets were still there for Fitzgerald with Stanton but he definitely was not performing as usual in that situation. I am guessing a lot of these targets were not really catchable because Fitzgerald career numbers are a pretty solid 59% catch rater when including his rookie season. With Standon and Lindley in 2014 he was only catching 50% of his targets.

2012 was by far his worst season, this was with WhIsenhunt as the HC and John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer taking turns at QB.

If you remove his rookie year and horrific 2012 Fitzgerald is a very solid 61% catch rate.

So I stand corrected that Fitzgerald can overcome poor QB play.

It is still entirely possible that he gets 10 targets again tonight and if it is the same as 2014 5 receptions. Likely shouldn't expect more from him than that though.

Edited by Biabreakable

I'm not thrilled with playing him. He's on the bench in one league and starting in the other. The league he's playing, I'm strapped with bye week issues and no with Royal iffy for Sunday, I pretty much have to play him. I'm not expecting a huge game, but I think the targets will be there. If he can get me 12-15 points, I'll take it.

Just now, VaTerp said:

Look at that.

I was wrong.  Should have started Fitz.

I guess so. Biak, hope you did your thing!

• Like 1

Was thinking he would have an off game, but I am playing against him so I'm sure he will catch another td tonight

2 hours ago, kutta said:

I guess so. Biak, hope you did your thing!

Naw you guys talked me out of counting on Fizgerald and based on the information we had I still think that was a reasonable call.

Stanton only threw for 124 total yards. It just so happens that Fitz accounted for almost all of them.

• Like 2

Sat Fitz for Crabtree.   SD's #1 corner going down was the clencher for me, but damn this sucks.  

18 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Naw you guys talked me out of counting on Fizgerald and based on the information we had I still think that was a reasonable call.

Stanton only threw for 124 total yards. It just so happens that Fitz accounted for almost all of them.

Yeah, really weird game. I had him on the bench for Pryor, so I'm a bit bummed, but I agree with you. It was very flukey.

• Like 1

wasn't it like 11 completions for Stanton, 6 to Fitz and 2 TD's to Fitz?

that's like Kuhn having 6 rushes, 8 yards and 3 TDs

crazy

The Rotoworld blurb headline is funny.  Fitzgerald "survives" Stanton.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/343971/larry-fitzgerald-survives-stanton-for-two-tds?ls=roto:ARZ:topheadlines

It really is quite remarkable.  Stanton was as dreadful as I expected but of the 11 passes he completed on the night, Fitz caught 6 of them.  He threw for 124 yards and Fitz got 81 of them.  And of course both TDs.

Congrats for those who ignored me and started him.

• Like 1

Stanton wasn't even that bad really.  There were 5 or 6 brutal drops by the AZ pass catchers including one by Fitz.   A few of them were 3rd down drive killers. 

7 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Stanton wasn't even that bad really.  There were 5 or 6 brutal drops by the AZ pass catchers including one by Fitz.   A few of them were 3rd down drive killers. 

We watched different games then.  He was airmailing throws all night.  

He had some moments.  The 2nd TD to Fitz was a nice throw.  But he was bad.

22 hours ago, Skoo said:

Obviously it's going to depend on your options, but no way he goes into my lineup with Drew Stanton at the helm.

He's really, really not good.

Whoops!

Still, if I had to make the same decision again today I would. Backup QB on a short week against a terrible run defense. Hopefully Jeremy Hill can make up for it!

Remember that "I wouldn't draft Larry fitzgerald in the third round" thread?  I guess there is room for everyone to be right because it certainly was true that year, but not because of Fitz's ability as it was alluded to, but simply the surrounding pieces.  

I only mention this because I think it is a very valuable dynasty lesson. People playing in dynasty leagues need to understand the definition of "dynasty" and not ditch obviously elite players at the drop of the hat.  Fitz is pretty amazing and yes he had what, 2-3 years of average play. But that wasn't terrible play and surrounding it all is a HOF 8-9 years of WR1.  Awesome player.  

• Like 1

Dynasty player's mistake was assuming a HOFer's (who is known to focus on health/fitness) age-adjusted production curve is the same as an average WR's

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VaTerp said:

We watched different games then.  He was airmailing throws all night.  

He had some moments.  The 2nd TD to Fitz was a nice throw.  But he was bad.

Right he was bad, but there was also about 5 drops that were just horrible. It should have been better for Stanton. 

• Like 1

Fitzgerald did switch roles from a downfield threat to a possession WR who often plays the slot, and it took him a couple years to adjust to the new role and re-emerge as an elite producer. His numbers in 2012 were terrible, and then in 2013 he had under 1000 receiving yards with Carson Palmer as his QB, with both of them healthy for the whole season (Floyd had more yards, and a much higher YPT, though not as many TDs). I'm not sure what principle would allow you to predict that he'd have a much better season at age 32 than he did at age 30. It was definitely a surprise that 34-year-old Carson Palmer still had his best season in front of him.

I haven't read through this whole thread so sorry if this is answered somewhere. What are the chances Fitz doesn't retire after this season?  Is this a done deal?

3 hours ago, Gandalf said:

I haven't read through this whole thread so sorry if this is answered somewhere. What are the chances Fitz doesn't retire after this season?  Is this a done deal?

Not a done deal. Some writers have suggested he will retire but to my knowledge, we've never heard that from Fitz. 

Any news yet on his MRI on his knee? Assuming nothing serious since he played the whole game and was still catching passes on the final drive.

Sounds like he's fine. Should be ready to roll in Minnesota - his hometown.

Fitz has to be having one of the greatest seasons ever for a WR that just turned 33. Usually there is a drop-off at 32 but he still looks elite. The guy is such a pro. Really hope he finishes out strong. 

NEWS ARTICLES > LARRY FITZGERALD RETURNING FOR 2017

Published Thu Feb 2 9:34:55 a.m. MT 2017 

(FFChamps) Fitzgerald will, in fact, play in 2017, after months of contemplating retirement. With a Fitzgerald return, it is believed that he and Cardinals signal caller, Carson Palmer, are "tied at the hip," meaning he is likely to play next season as well -- although Palmer's return is not yet official. Despite Fitzgerald's decision to play another year, it is a likely scenario that the Cardinals address the wide receiver position this offseason in the draft, or via free agency -- planning for the future.

:wub:

• Like 1