What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Fitzgerald (5 Viewers)

So how is everyone valuing Fitz in redraft? A WR2?
I think there is some risk of decline with Fitzgerald as he will be 34 years old for most of the 2017 season.

There are some signs of decline in yards per reception and yards per target in 2016 (9.6 and 6.8)  compared to 2015 (11.1 and 8.4) 

Fitzgerald has taken very good care of himself throughout his life, so I could see him beating the trend of 34 year old WR showing steeper decline, but it is something to be aware of and there are signs of decline from Fitzgerald last season that could continue.

WR 2 seems right. 

He led the league in receptions last season. I don't think he'll do that again, but he could definitely be a really nice WR3 this season.
The 2nd best healthy/sober WR on the team was freaking JJ Nelson. 156 lbs JJ Nelson. I don't mean to imply that I disagree with your assessment that he'll be a nice WR3, just saying it wasn't purely due to skill or dominance that he led the league in receptions last season and it certainly wasn't a positive for Arizona.

The 2nd best healthy/sober WR on the team was freaking JJ Nelson. 156 lbs JJ Nelson. I don't mean to imply that I disagree with your assessment that he'll be a nice WR3, just saying it wasn't purely due to skill or dominance that he led the league in receptions last season and it certainly wasn't a positive for Arizona.
True. Like I said, I don't think he duplicates the numbers he had last season, but he's clearly a WR that Palmer trusts and is the best option in the passing game. It's not like Arizona did anything to vastly improve the WR corps going into this season. I would be more than happy if my WR3 this year is Larry Fitz. You could certainly do worse. Anyone expecting him to duplicate what he did last season will be disappointed.

True. Like I said, I don't think he duplicates the numbers he had last season, but he's clearly a WR that Palmer trusts and is the best option in the passing game. It's not like Arizona did anything to vastly improve the WR corps going into this season. I would be more than happy if my WR3 this year is Larry Fitz. You could certainly do worse. Anyone expecting him to duplicate what he did last season will be disappointed.
I think they'll be much improved from WR just by health alone. Jaron Brown was really coming on before his injury and John Brown was clearly not himself. I think both will be full strength this year.

I think they'll be much improved from WR just by health alone. Jaron Brown was really coming on before his injury and John Brown was clearly not himself. I think both will be full strength this year.
Good point as well. Which in a way, may help Fitz in a sense that he won't be the main focus of the defense. It's clear his target numbers will drop, but his efficiency numbers can improve. Again, I'm not trying to advocate for the guy to be a super sleeper or anything. Just that he has a chance to be a nice reliable WR3 type in PPR leagues.

Dynasty owners will note that he didn't say he was going to retire after this year when pressed recently. That feels like a subtle shift in that there was a widespread presumption that he was definitely retiring after this year.

He led the league in receptions last season. I don't think he'll do that again, but he could definitely be a really nice WR3 this season.
I should have made myself more clear. I don’t think he’ll have an elite season given his circumstances, but as a 3rd wr I’m all in

ive got fitz as my dyno wr#3. 

we all know he is going to retire soon.  i added: jj nelson, jaron brown, and drafted chad williams this year to cover my loss.

it looks like john brown is close to done, so how do you see this situation r panning out in the next few years?

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just talking to someone today about the Cards vs Steelers SB. One of the greatest in history, shame Fitz wasn't able to go home with a ring. He had 2 TDs in the 4th, including this one that Cards fans will remember forever, thinking that the comeback victory was sealed.

https://youtu.be/h2gt-PN5-Hg?t=1m26s

Spanish version and reactions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5-tceg4ZU

Watching himself on the stadium scoreboard as he outruns the Steelers

https://youtu.be/E6EGzGktdSM?t=20s
I was at that game. What a heartbreaker.

ive got fitz as my dyno wr#3. 

we all know he is going to retire soon.  i added: jj nelson, jaron brown, and drafted chad williams this year to cover my loss.

it looks like john brown is close to done, so how do you see this situation r panning out in the next few years?

:popcorn:
I think it's a great question.  A lot of folks expected Michael Floyd to be the heir, and we saw how that went.  The Cardinals have done very well in the middle rounds of the draft at the position, especially with small school kids (John Brown in 2014 - 3rd Round, 27th pick out of Pittsburgh State; JJ Nelson in 2015 - 5th Round, 23rd pick out of UAB).  But those are both the same style of prospect, and Brown can't stay healthy.  Given the snap counts, it looks exactly like Nelson is Brown's replacement in the offense.

Chad Williams seems to be a different prospect than those two guys, given he's 6'1" and 204 (and probably getting bigger).  That's more like the Floyd/Fitz/Jaron Brown model of WR.  Given Fitz is extremely likely to retire, and Jaron Brown doesn't seem like as explosive an athlete as he once was (numerous knee injuries probably playing a role there), I *think* given what we know now, Williams would be the most likely guy to emerge into a big role as the year goes along and into next year.  Williams is another small school kid; another 3rd rounder; another guy that Arians talked up with potential, but is making him earn his way (a whole lot like David Johnson his rookie year).  I was impressed watching Williams at the Senior Bowl where despite being from Grambling (where he dominated), he performed very well against guys from much bigger conferences.  

He's raw, but I think the ceiling is there.  I also think Arizona is very likely to continue drafting WRs till they hit again, but I would expect this next draft to focus on QB.  Palmer can't last forever, and Arians needs a quality QB.

He goes 12-125- TD and not a peep in here. I know his week 1 was ok. Week 2 really bad. Week 3 was insane.

Is that the thought moving forward? WR3 type with good and bad weeks? 

Will he catch 100+ again? Palmer looks halfway decent when he has anytime. 

hes my wr2 and i am happy with em.  he looked so good last game.  like old larry.  carson looked good for most of the game too. the oline stinks so i wonder if palmer is gonna survive

Totally guilty of underestimating him these last few years. Every year I expect a decline, and every year he shoves his ability and star playmaking skills right down my and opposing secondaries' gullets.

What a total stud, and a huge steal this year...as he was in years' past. 

Totally guilty of underestimating him these last few years. Every year I expect a decline, and every year he shoves his ability and star playmaking skills right down my and opposing secondaries' gullets.

Came back to this thread to give Fitz a respect bump after a stellar 10 catch 100+ night against thw Seahawks, only to have this weird sense of deja vu. Can’t quite put my finger on it.

Could have had a bigger night if his QB eased up on the long ball in the 1st quarter 

in saying that 180+ yards in the last 2 games. Seems Stanton has figured out this Karry guy is good. I'll be starting him each week hoping for this sort of production 

His home away splits are real and I wish he scored some more tds but he's not leaving my lineup in a start 3 wr league

Paradoxically, Stanton may increase Fitz's fantasy value, although certainly TDs will be tougher.

The only word that came to mind watching the second half last night, in regards to Fitz, is respect.

Stanton was throwing really poor balls lat night IMHO - terrible angles, way outside of his receivers’ catch radii, bad accuracy and touch.

Manifested in a lot of dropped balls by the other receivers.

But Fitz is simply good enough for that not to matter. Announcers were highly accurate in saying the the ball seems to just “stick” to Fitz.

Respect indeed.

Stanton was throwing really poor balls lat night IMHO - terrible angles, way outside of his receivers’ catch radii, bad accuracy and touch.

Manifested in a lot of dropped balls by the other receivers.

But Fitz is simply good enough for that not to matter. Announcers were highly accurate in saying the the ball seems to just “stick” to Fitz.

Respect indeed.
Last night? Every game. Stanton is terrible. Career 52.5% completion percentage. He had Fitz wide open for a td last week and missed him. He's missed him several times in the past 3 weeks. I just pray for flex worthy points and hope for the best. Definitely pleased with last night.  Fitz is a wizard. He's not fast, but finds a way to get open and is tough as nails.

He's not fast, but finds a way to get open and is tough as nails.
double :goodposting: . i'm guilty of underestimating him every year too, glad i finally came to my senses and got him this year plus put him on my fbg contest roster. stud. hard to believe he's been doing this since when boldin was on this team. feels like that was a lifetime ago.

Currently WR 6 in standard scoring and WR 4 in PPR scoring.

His history with Drew Stanton not as good as with Palmer but he is still the best option the Cardinals have on offense.

The loss of Palmer hurts John Brown and the other receivers more than it hurts Fitzgerald.

Such an amazing player and plays the game like it should be played in all aspects. Tough as they come too but have never seen him make a dirty play or disrespect an opponent. 

Fun guy to have on your fantasy team too as he is easy to root for. Plus he comes at the bargain basement price of a 5th or 6th rounder over the last few years. 

Love me some Fitz. 

Made the mistake of drafting John Brown over him last year for his "upside". That was a mistake I corrected this year, and I've been very happy with the results

Probably sitting him vs Jax, but otherwise he's locked into my lineup ROS.

What's funny about Fitz is how everyone acts like he is some leper.  He was ranked pretty low before the season started. His ADP was pretty low. He lead the league in receptions last year. It's not like he was going to fall off the cliff in one off-season. At worst, he would be a WR2.

When I was shopping him early in the season for a rb because I had a lot of WRs, I was told things like, nah, he's too old.  Even after they signed Peterson, I was told, no, Arizona will fade him out over the season in favor of the Browns. I said, first of all, they play on the outside, not slot. Second of all, does trading for old AP sound like they are going to play the youth over the vets? Fitz doesn't get enough respect.

Here's never been fast.  He's just damn good at everything else.  And he's big
Wasn't his combine 40 a 4.48? Not elite speed but not too shabby. I am sure he's lost a step in his impressive 13 years as a pro - all with the same team, which is another anomaly in this day and age and another reaason I respect both Fitz and the Cards for the long term commitment.

So spot on about being good at everything else -- and not just on offense. He's consistently been among the best blocking WRs in the league, and he plays hardnosed and never dirty. Had a fantastic block this past game that was instrumental in getting the back (can't remember if that was Peterson or Ellington at the time) to the first down stripe.

The amount of football knowledge he has and employs has to be akin to a guy like Brady.

Wasn't his combine 40 a 4.48? Not elite speed but not too shabby. I am sure he's lost a step in his impressive 13 years as a pro - all with the same team, which is another anomaly in this day and age and another reaason I respect both Fitz and the Cards for the long term commitment.

So spot on about being good at everything else -- and not just on offense. He's consistently been among the best blocking WRs in the league, and he plays hardnosed and never dirty. Had a fantastic block this past game that was instrumental in getting the back (can't remember if that was Peterson or Ellington at the time) to the first down stripe.

The amount of football knowledge he has and employs has to be akin to a guy like Brady.
And he's only had Warner and an old Palmer.  Shame

You know that thing where you catch something out of the corner of your eye, and initially misinterpret it? When the Sleeperbot alert "Fitzgerald pens extension" popped up on my phone, I initially thought there was an extra "i" in there. 

:pickle: :jawdrop:

Last edited by a moderator:
(RotoWire) Fitzgerald's decision to sign a one-year extension doesn't necessarily mean he'll play in 2018, ESPN.com's Josh Weinfuss reports. Analysis: The one-year, $11 million deal, which includes a no-trade clause, simply ensures that Fitzgerald will stay in Arizona if he does indeed continue his career. It also hints that he plans to do so, but he could still opt for retirement in the offseason. As for the more immediate future, Sunday brings a road matchup against a Houston defense that has surrendered three straight 300-yard passing games. Blaine Gabbert will start at quarterback and may prove to be an upgrade from Drew Stanton (knee).

Users who are viewing this thread