Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Squintz82

Larry Fitzgerald

Larry Fitzgerald (questionable, hamstring) is expected to play Week 4 against the Seahawks.

This comes with a caveat, however, as the veteran wideout is reportedly "nowhere near 100 percent." In fact, ESPN's Adam Schefter was told Fitzgerald "probably shouldn't have played last week." With Fitzgerald hobbled, we could see a heavy dose of rookie Christian Kirk, who led the team with 90 receiving yards in last week's loss to Chicago.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 30 - 8:03 AM

Larry Fitzgerald Grabbed Attention of Carter & Moss with First NFL Catches in Mankato

Excerpt

Fitzgerald also credits his experience with the Vikings for enabling him to play 15 seasons in the NFL.

“I was able to … see Robert Smith and Cris Carter and see Chris Walsh, Jake Reed, guys getting the cold tub and working out, getting massages and eating right, and acupuncture, doing things like that that I implemented my career when I was very young because I saw them do that,” Fitzgerald said. “I was fortunate to be able to see that first-hand as a youngster.”

Edited by Biabreakable

2 hours ago, Jello_Biafra said:

I haven't watched much Arizona this year. Is Fitz looking done, or is it the all around suckage of their offense? 

It isn't just Fitz, he's been a bit hobbled by the hammy for a couple weeks. However the offense is just not good, Rosen doesn't force feed it to him, I believe he's tied with RSJ for targets. He's also getting Kirk involved. DJ is still the focal point of the offense.

1 hour ago, C-Bound said:

Just call him "Spock" now...yea, get it?  Never mind...

He's dead, Jim.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:48 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

This is the first year I've ever owned the guy.      :penalty:

What was it that drew you to him this year? His age or his QB situation change? How many 35 years young WRs do well? How about those changing QBs in their 35th year? How about those changing to bad QBs in their 35th year? The 35th year alone is enough to stay away. Now he's on his 2nd QB who has chemistry with a younger WR. Cut bait and hope somebody picks him up on name value.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/age-of-decline-wr

Larry Fitzgerald caught 4-of-8 targets for 40 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 7 loss to the Broncos.

Shamefully, the score was Fitzgerald's first of the season. He's been hamstrung by nagging injuries and awful quarterback play. Fitzgerald got lit up on a fourth quarter hospital ball but was thankfully able to stay in the game. With Josh Rosen playing as bad as possible this evening, Fitz won't be on the WR4 radar for Week 8 against the 49ers. Fitzgerald hasn't posted more than 40 yards since Week 1.

Oct 19 - 12:03 AM

8 hours ago, mnmplayer said:

What was it that drew you to him this year? His age or his QB situation change? How many 35 years young WRs do well? How about those changing QBs in their 35th year? How about those changing to bad QBs in their 35th year? The 35th year alone is enough to stay away. Now he's on his 2nd QB who has chemistry with a younger WR. Cut bait and hope somebody picks him up on name value.

You're right but maybe a little harsh.

thought it was funny he catches a td right after a few negative comments on here.  step in the right direction but i dont think anyone thought arz was going to be this bad

36 minutes ago, need2know said:

thought it was funny he catches a td right after a few negative comments on here.  step in the right direction but i dont think anyone thought arz was going to be this bad

the negative comments have been coming for weeks though and 40 yards seems to be his upside.

On 10/13/2018 at 12:13 AM, Jello_Biafra said:

I haven't watched much Arizona this year. Is Fitz looking done, or is it the all around suckage of their offense? 

IMO, it's the latter.  He looked like the skills remain, but YEESH!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Faust said:

Josh Rosen could certainly have played a lot worse. That whole team just looks like it's got a coaching staff that's in way over its head. Offensively, they seem to have completely forgotten DJ can be a stud and a little play action would go a long way in helping a rookie QB. Defensively, they continue to get trampled while they're 1st round LB rides the pine and 3 safeties take the filed on 90% percent of their snaps. I'm just glad Fitz didn't get injured (more) on the medicine ball.

2 hours ago, Flying Elvis said:

Josh Rosen could certainly have played a lot worse. That whole team just looks like it's got a coaching staff that's in way over its head. Offensively, they seem to have completely forgotten DJ can be a stud and a little play action would go a long way in helping a rookie QB. Defensively, they continue to get trampled while they're 1st round LB rides the pine and 3 safeties take the filed on 90% percent of their snaps. I'm just glad Fitz didn't get injured (more) on the medicine ball.

For sure!  How was he NOT a "defenseless receiver"???

20 hours ago, mnmplayer said:

Fitz was special though. He led the league in receptions last year and was the fourth ranked FF WR in his 34th year. He didn't see the steady decline most of these guys see in their early 30's.

But I agree, the signs were there for a decline of the Cards' offense, but who knew Bradford was going to be so horrible? Bradford is one of the most accurate QB's in NFL history, and very good at short and intermediate throws, exactly what Fitz thrives on. I think it was perfectly reasonable to expect Fitz to have a pretty decent season this year.

• Love 2

5 hours ago, kutta said:

Fitz was special though. He led the league in receptions last year and was the fourth ranked FF WR in his 34th year. He didn't see the steady decline most of these guys see in their early 30's.

But I agree, the signs were there for a decline of the Cards' offense, but who knew Bradford was going to be so horrible? Bradford is one of the most accurate QB's in NFL history, and very good at short and intermediate throws, exactly what Fitz thrives on. I think it was perfectly reasonable to expect Fitz to have a pretty decent season this year.

Rice was still effective after 35, but he was the best player of all time, and had the same HOF QB throwing to him before he turned 35. Rice didn't do as well when he changed teams/QBs. I am sure there are other 35+ year old WRs that produced?

5 minutes ago, mnmplayer said:

Rice was still effective after 35, but he was the best player of all time, and had the same HOF QB throwing to him before he turned 35. Rice didn't do as well when he changed teams/QBs. I am sure there are other 35+ year old WRs that produced?

Can't we say the same thing about age 34 WR's? And Fitz was amazing last year.

According to this chart, a WR has a 40% chance of putting up WR 2/3 numbers in his age 35 season. They say there are 10 WR's who've played at 35, so four of them put up pretty good seasons. Seeing that Fitz was in very rare company in putting up a top 5 WR season at age 34, it's not a big stretch to expect him to be one of the 40%, or even a bit better.

I don't have the energy to find the names.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/04/fantasy-football-at-what-age-does-a-wide-receiver-decline/

I play in keeper league where it cost s significantly more to keep a guy in the 4th 6th and 8th year so I guess I just write these old guys off ... try to stay with young guys. I mean he could put together another good year against all odds, but the chances of repeating at age 36-37-38-39-40 ... rather invest in younger guys. I had no interest in McCoy either even though I guess its possible a 30+ RB could have one or two more good years, but the chances are slim and even if he had a good year this year its doubtful I would keep him so not worth the asking price imo.

New Cardinals OC Byron Leftwich wants to get Larry Fitzgerald more involved.

"The plays are still there in him," Leftwich said. "I don’t think he’s dead yet." Although it included just 79 yards, Fitzgerald did post his best two-game stretch before the Cardinals' post-Thursday Night Football mini bye. Leftwich replacing Mike McCoy is a classic "it could not get any worse" situation. Leftwich could end up reviving Fitz, but he's just a low-end WR4 for Week 8.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter 

Oct 25 - 5:52 PM

10 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Anyone optimistic this week?  Seems like he is pretty much healthy now after this week's practice.  

Staying on my bench.  But I could see playing him.  He's looked better.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:02 PM, mnmplayer said:

This article is six years old. Most relevant part of it in regards to Fitzgerald besides him being 35 years old is this:

If you think a receiver is the next Jerry Rice, no graph should dissuade you from drafting him for your fantasy team.

2 hours ago, need2know said:

Staying on my bench.  But I could see playing him.  He's looked better.

it's either Fitz or Godwin for me.  I like Godwin, but feel like Fitz will definitely be the number 1 option if he is fully healthy.  Still close.

56 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

it's either Fitz or Godwin for me.  I like Godwin, but feel like Fitz will definitely be the number 1 option if he is fully healthy.  Still close.

Hmm. Never considered him. Have Crabtree in now. Would you guys stick with that or try Fitz?

I really thought they would start using him correctly after the change of OC to Leftwich.   Wrong again.

If he gets less than  10 targets a game, someone should be fired.  Unless they are trying to lose for draft position.

Anyone rolling with him for championship week? Could be his last home game, although I’m not sure how much they could force feed him even if they wanted to. Jut making me rethink vs guys like Golladay, Landry, Ebron (no TE req)...

8 hours ago, 3 hour lunch said:

Anyone rolling with him for championship week? Could be his last home game, although I’m not sure how much they could force feed him even if they wanted to. Jut making me rethink vs guys like Golladay, Landry, Ebron (no TE req)...

I'm intrigued by garbage time like last week, and him being at home.

I'm between Larry and Robby Anderson in PPR right now. I think Robby has the upside for sure but Larry can always have a good game at home against a division opponent IMO. And of course Anderson is the guy I just added yesterday.

Being that I'm a pretty big underdog I should probably go for the upside.

might have to roll him out after losing Boyd and Sanders.  He's gotta be good for one last 7-60

Larry Fitzgerald's new one-year contract with the Cardinals is worth $11 million.

According to ESPN's Field Yates, he can earn even more than that via incentives. That base salary puts Fitzgerald in the top-20 of average value at the wide receiver position, suggesting the Cardinals still expect him to play a vital role in new coach Kliff Kingsbury's offense.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter 

Jan 24 - 9:13 AM

Thoughts on him for this year?  He'll be 36 this season.  Second straight season with a rookie QB.  Dynasty wise, he's clearly trending down.

Redraft--he finished as WR27 in 0.5 PPR leagues.  If the offense takes a major step forward as expected, He could be a solid WR3 again and you're probably getting him later than that.  Logic dictates that at 36, he's due for a fall off.  Not going out of my way to get him, but there's a place for him later in drafts.

• Like 1

Historically WR at age 36 see a huge drop in their productivity if they made it that far. Except Jerry Rice.

Larry Fitzgerald is a special player. Would not surprise me to see him have another good year.

I just have to be careful to not draft him too high like I am used to now.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:25 AM, need2know said:

Surprised he wants to keep playing.  That team is going nowhere

He's a few average seasons away from being cemented as the #2 receiver all time in almost every statistics.

He's going for that, "second only to Jerry Rice" legacy.

With that said, where does Fitzgerald fit into an Air Raid offense? Has to be an inside guy or guy you move around the formation. But with Arizona set to pass 800 times, why not ride with Larry Legend for one more magic season?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jm192 said:

Thoughts on him for this year?  He'll be 36 this season.  Second straight season with a rookie QB.  Dynasty wise, he's clearly trending down.

Redraft--he finished as WR27 in 0.5 PPR leagues.  If the offense takes a major step forward as expected, He could be a solid WR3 again and you're probably getting him later than that.  Logic dictates that at 36, he's due for a fall off.  Not going out of my way to get him, but there's a place for him later in drafts.

He was already a solid WR3, did you mean to say that he could be a solid WR2?

44 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

He was already a solid WR3, did you mean to say that he could be a solid WR2?

I think he’s likely to repeat as a 3.  I think he’s a value play as he’ll be drafted later than that.  I think the offensive changes help, but I’m not convinced he’ll be able to get to 100 for 1000 again.