What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Fitzgerald (1 Viewer)

Big game.

Would like to see video of that 80 yard touchdown if anyone can find one today. Thanks
Looks like Demaryius Thomas.
Of course he looks like DT in that video, there is no way that was a game speed video. I looked at it about 10 times thinking there has to be something wrong. So I clocked it from the time he caught the ball on the 23 yard line to the time he crossed the goal line. I did it a few times and it averaged at 8.2 seconds to cover 77 yards. That is a 4.26 40 yard dash in full pads, by a guy that isn't know for his speed, and he changes directions and kind of slips at the end of the run.

That said I still love Fitz with Palmer, I was trying to buy low in all my leagues and couldn't get him. That window has offically shut.

Big game.

Would like to see video of that 80 yard touchdown if anyone can find one today. Thanks
Wow, he really does. I haven't seen that from him in awhile.
Yes you have he has never been a burner. All this talk of him being washed up is laughable. You can't throw yourself the ball. It has always been the offense went away from him or ignored him not FITZ. Interesting Fact, he is only a year older then Jordy Nelson and people never talk about him being old. Jordy is 30 Fitz is 31 yep The way people talked about fitz 3 weeks ago you would think he is 37 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big game.

Wow, he really does. I haven't seen that from him in awhile.
Yes you have he has never been a burner. All this talk of him being washed up is laughable. You can't throw yourself the ball. It has always been the offense went away from him or ignored him not FITZ. Interesting Fact, he is only a year older then Jordy Nelson and people never talk about him being old. Jordy is 30 Fitz is 31 yep The way people talked about fitz 3 weeks ago you would think he is 37 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, Jordy is actually 29. But your point kind of stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big game.

Of course he looks like DT in that video, there is no way that was a game speed video. I looked at it about 10 times thinking there has to be something wrong. So I clocked it from the time he caught the ball on the 23 yard line to the time he crossed the goal line. I did it a few times and it averaged at 8.2 seconds to cover 77 yards. That is a 4.26 40 yard dash in full pads, by a guy that isn't know for his speed, and he changes directions and kind of slips at the end of the run.

That said I still love Fitz with Palmer, I was trying to buy low in all my leagues and couldn't get him. That window has offically shut.
Yeah, that's definitely sped up. I watched it real time though, he still looked like DT. Here's a better look at it.

Big game.

Yeah, that's definitely sped up. I watched it real time though, he still looked like DT. Here's a better look at it.
Thanks, that is much better. He looks like Brandon Marshall when Marshall was with the Broncos

An article most people, myself included, believed in. He was the #60 ranked WR in my standard scoring system before today's game. He only had 1 TD on the season, and didn't have one single 100 yard game. And it's not like they had been playing defensive juggernauts either.The only takeaway from today's performance is what we already knew - that The Eagles pass defense is horrific. But let's not pretend that Fitz has now vaulted himself into a #1 or #2 fantasy WR, or even a flex option.

An article most people, myself included, believed in. He was the #60 ranked WR in my standard scoring system before today's game. He only had 1 TD on the season, and didn't have one single 100 yard game. And it's not like they had been playing defensive juggernauts either.The only takeaway from today's performance is what we already knew - that The Eagles pass defense is horrific. But let's not pretend that Fitz has now vaulted himself into a #1 or #2 fantasy WR, or even a flex option.
I disagree, Fitz is a low end wr2 or high end wr3 for the rest of the year.

Kudos to you for putting that stake in the ground. I hope you are right. He's still on my roster and with injuries I just might need him next week.Just remember, though. Palmer played last week as well, they played a pretty bad opponent (Oakland), and Fitz only had 4 receptions for 21 yards, and no touchdowns.

I guess I'd like to know what has changed to justify such a huge jump in projections. It's not like he is suddenly getting healthy. He's been healthy all year. It's not like the offense is changing substantially. They are still a rushing / defense / ball control team that will continue to emphasize Ellington. And it's not like the other WR's are injured or falling out of favor. Yes, he does seem to have a better rapport with Palmer, but once again last week against Oakland Fitz was nonexistent with Palmer at the helm. I don't know, seems to me like it was more a case of a lucky long touchdown this week, and not something to bank on going forward.

Last edited:
He doesn't get the number of targets he used to get. 30 catches on 49 targets this season= 61.2%. Not bad. Got 10 today. He previously got many more targets on average. (2011 and before)

Kudos to you for putting that stake in the ground. I hope you are right. He's still on my roster and with injuries I just might need him next week.Just remember, though. Palmer played last week as well, they played a pretty bad opponent (Oakland), and Fitz only had 4 receptions for 21 yards, and no touchdowns.

I guess I'd like to know what has changed to justify such a huge jump in projections. It's not like he is suddenly getting healthy. He's been healthy all year. It's not like the offense is changing substantially. They are still a rushing / defense / ball control team that will continue to emphasize Ellington. And it's not like the other WR's are injured or falling out of favor. Yes, he does seem to have a better rapport with Palmer, but once again last week against Oakland Fitz was nonexistent with Palmer at the helm. I don't know, seems to me like it was more a case of a lucky long touchdown this week, and not something to bank on going forward.
Their schudule.

@ Dallas - both teams have 1 loss this is a big game for the top seed. There should be a lot of points in this game

vs St. Louis - The Rams are respectable against the run and horrible against the pass.

vs Detroit - You can't run on Lions, this could also be a seeding game.

@ Seattle - very good run defense, there is fantasy points to be had in the passing game. Also a big game for division title

@ Atlanta - the Falcons defense is a hot mess, but they play well at home and I expect a lot of points. This is a game that could be a dud because everyone will be open

vs Kansas City - I am not sure what to think of the Chiefs, but it is at home.

@ St. Louis - see above, unless something drastically changes, I also think the Rams play better at home and you could see a lot of points in the game

vs Seattle - see above plus this might determine the division winner, remember it isn't like Sherman lines up against the number 1 and even if he did he can be beat.

Their schudule.

@ Dallas - both teams have 1 loss this is a big game for the top seed. There should be a lot of points in this game

vs St. Louis - The Rams are respectable against the run and horrible against the pass.

vs Detroit - You can't run on Lions, this could also be a seeding game.

@ Seattle - very good run defense, there is fantasy points to be had in the passing game. Also a big game for division title

@ Atlanta - the Falcons defense is a hot mess, but they play well at home and I expect a lot of points. This is a game that could be a dud because everyone will be open

vs Kansas City - I am not sure what to think of the Chiefs, but it is at home.

@ St. Louis - see above, unless something drastically changes, I also think the Rams play better at home and you could see a lot of points in the game

vs Seattle - see above plus this might determine the division winner, remember it isn't like Sherman lines up against the number 1 and even if he did he can be beat.
According to Footballguys remaining Strength of Schedule for WR's, they have one of the most difficult schedules remaining with respect to points allowed to opposing WR's:9 - Dallas (18.3 ppg) Yellow (one of the 8 toughest defenses in the League)

10 - St. Louis (24.5 ppg) Green (one of the 8 easiest defenses in the League)

11 - Detroit (16.1 ppg) Yellow

12 - Seattle (17.7 ppg) Yellow

13 - Atlanta (20.4 ppg)

14 - Kansas City (16.9 ppg) Yellow

Once again, would love to believe that the Fitzgerald magic has returned, but most of what I see here is wish casting and not supported by the facts. I think if anything ing his performance today might have provided an excellent opportunity for his owners to sell high, relatively speaking.

I was at the game, and man oh man was it ever good to see Fitz get going. He was flying on that TD. I was shocked how fast he looked.

Not quite as fast as John Brown, but still pretty fast.

Since Palmer came back, Larry is again relevant averaging 16 ppg in PPR over the past three games which on the surface makes him a strong WR2 or even a borderline WR1 during that span (Julio Jones is the 12th ranked WR with 14.75 PPG).

However, in the first game of the season Fitz disappeared with Palmer playing with only 1 catch that game. Also while Fitz has performed well the pat three games, he hast performed poorly in one of those games vs Oak, so 50% of the time he has done well with Palmer and 50% he has done poorly. (although all WR sucked vs Oak (Floyd did catch a TD but only had 3 targets) so it could have been a game situation for that game. There seems to be no middle ground and this also lends itself to the Arians style of playing matchups or hit the open man football as opposed to getting the ball to your studs mentality.

Can we draw some conclusions from his two outstanding performances and his two poor ones? I am sure it is related to the defense played. It might be the case where if a top corner takes Floyd out of the game we can project Fitz to have a good game if there isn't a 2nd good defender to stop Fitz. If we could find a pattern we might be able to pick and choose Fitz games going forward. It seems all 3 WR had a bad game vs oak and that could be a game situation type deal where they focused on using their RBs more (Oak is not good vs the run).

So we need to look for defenses that are decent vs the run and have a defense oriented to stop Floyd?

Next week he faces DAL which has been good at stopping the run this year (aside from Foster) and the pass (aside from Jackson).

Colston, Hopkins, Randle, Boldin have all had decent games vs DAL and all are the #2 WR on the team. Even Britt had a decent game yardage/rec wise, another #2. This game seems like the type that might shape up well for Fitz since DAL can stop the run and the #1 WR even though this is a "tough" WR matchup. The following week STL does not seem to be able to stop the run or the #1 WR so FItz is more likely to disappear even though STL is an "easy" WR matchup.

Big game.

:whoosh:

That was the most fitting icon I could think of for you in this case because logic just whooshed by you. ;)

What you did... you extrapolated 8.2 seconds from 77 yards to 80 yards to get 8.52 and then divided by two.... No. :doh:

If someone runs 80 yards, the last 40 yards are much faster than the first 40 yards because they are at top speed for the last 40 and they are accelerating from zero for the first 40. A good example is track and field: the 200m times are always faster than the fastest 100m x 2.

Big game.

:whoosh:

That was the most fitting icon I could think of for you in this case because logic just whooshed by you. ;)

What you did... you extrapolated 8.2 seconds from 77 yards to 80 yards to get 8.52 and then divided by two.... No. :doh:

If someone runs 80 yards, the last 40 yards are much faster than the first 40 yards because they are at top speed for the last 40 and they are accelerating from zero for the first 40. A good example is track and field: the 200m times are always faster than the fastest 100m x 2.
Either way if he goes another 23 yards it's a 100 yard dash and Fitz isn't running a 10.65 (or faster based on your logic) 100 yard dash in full pads.

It's hard to really draw anything concrete from Fitz's performances this year as has been stated in this thread. It's probably arbitrary, but his best performances have actually come vs. the NFC East opponents this year (6/51/0 @NYG, 6/98/1 vs.WAS, 7/160/1 vs. PHI). He has 11 catches for 134 yards and 0 TDs vs. everyone else.

I'm still going to treat him like a WR3 in PPR, which is fine, it's just nice to see he still has that elite WR1 ceiling.

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald caught nine passes for 112 yards in Arizona's Week 10 win over St. Louis.

Fitzgerald was targeted a team-high 10 times. He was dominating the middle of the field against the Rams' weak coverage linebackers and safeties. Fitzgerald is the only safe player in the Arizona passing attack, as Michael Floyd and John Brown aren't seeing consistent enough targets. The Lions are up next.

Nov 9 - 8:10 PM

so just when fitz was starting to become a trusted WR3 he sprains his MCL... from what ive read grade 2 mcl sprains should normally be 2-4 weeks out.... he's said he wil tyu to play through it. I may take my chances with 2 catch 2 td michael floyd next week over fitz.... can anyone think of recent MCL sprains that someone tried to play through as a comparable>?

iamkoza said:
so just when fitz was starting to become a trusted WR3 he sprains his MCL... from what ive read grade 2 mcl sprains should normally be 2-4 weeks out.... he's said he wil tyu to play through it. I may take my chances with 2 catch 2 td michael floyd next week over fitz.... can anyone think of recent MCL sprains that someone tried to play through as a comparable>?
Ugh, last year he tried to "play" through those ankle (IIRC) injuries...brutal. Just shut it down Fitz.

iamkoza said:
Ugh, last year he tried to "play" through those ankle (IIRC) injuries...brutal. Just shut it down Fitz.
It was his hamstring and he had one of his best games vs. SF that year 6/117/1 battling through the injury. I'm not saying to play him next week (I wouldn't) but you're recollection is off.

iamkoza said:
It was his hamstring and he had one of his best games vs. SF that year 6/117/1 battling through the injury. I'm not saying to play him next week (I wouldn't) but you're recollection is off.
He did have some bombs, too (3-43, 2-17). But you are right...he did have some good games. Damn old age memory.

Rotoworld take:

Larry Fitzgerald expects to play through a Grade 2 MCL sprain.

Fitzgerald was able to finish Sunday's win over the Lions despite suffering the injury in the first half. A Grade 2 sprain is the middle grade, so even though he says he'll play against the Seahawks Sunday we wouldn't be so sure. Talented rookie John Brown would get a big boost if Fitzgerald has to sit, although the matchup with the Legion of Boom is clearly not ideal.

Related: John Brown

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter
Nov 17 - 12:33 PM

This guy didn't have much of a chance this year. He's had three bad breaks recently, new coaching regime doesn't focus on him, starting QB goes down and now the gimpy knee. Had actually had a few good games in spite of the game plan when Palmer came back, but with the backup QB and a gimpy knee his ROS prospects look dim. I don't see too many 80 yard TDs saving his weeks going forward.

I believe if he gts a fresh start on the right team he could be WR1 again down the road, but his time is running out.

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald (MCL) is expected to be a game-time decision for Sunday's game against the Seahawks.

Fitz "remains optimistic" despite missing Wednesday and Thursday's practices. We suppose that's good news, but there seems to be much more for the Cardinals to lose than gain by forcing Fitz out there on a bum knee against the league's best secondary. We'd ultimately expect him to sit.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Nov 20 - 4:12 PM

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald's knee sprain is not responding as the Cardinals had hoped.
Coach Bruce Arians conceded that Fitzgerald "couldn't run" during pregame warmups. It's not overly surprising considering he sustained a Grade 2 MCL sprain in Week 11, which is often a multi-week injury. We'd consider Fitz very questionable for Week 13 at Atlanta, which makes impressive rookie John Brown a must-add. Brown had 3-61-0 at Seattle Sunday and has shown an ability to do much more in plus matchups.

Related: John Brown

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter
Nov 23 - 7:58 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, coach Bruce Arians said the Cardinals are "waiting to see" on Larry Fitzgerald's knee.
Per Arians, Fitz would not have been able to practice Monday. Arians said Sunday that Fitzgerald "couldn't run" in pre-game warmups before the team's loss to Seattle. At this point, it sounds like Fitzgerald would need a miracle to be active for Week 13. We'd consider him no better than 50-50 for Week 14, as well.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter
Nov 24 - 2:26 PM

If he does end up playing, anyone have the stones to start him? Ironically, it's my respect for him that gives me the most pause. He's a gamer, and I could easily see him gutting it out at less than 100 percent. Plus, MCL sprains are right up there with high ankle sprains in terms of injuries that limit effectiveness.

I don't have great options, but unless I hear that he's fully healed, I think I'll gamble on Hawkins and Charles Johnson over Fitz this week.

Rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, the Cardinals listed Larry Fitzgerald (questionable, knee) as a "limited" participant in Friday's practice, and are calling him a game-time decision for Week 13.

Reporters didn't see Fitz on the practice field to open the session, so it was assumed he didn't participate. The Cardinals are claiming he did. "If he goes, he goes," coach Bruce Arians said, insisting Fitzgerald wouldn't be "limited" in Sunday's game at Atlanta if he's active. "That’s the only reason he would play, because he can play." Arians added Fitzgerald is "progressing nicely" off his MCL sprain. He'll be a dicey WR3 option in a late-afternoon game.

Source: azcardinals.com
Nov 28 - 2:59 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Larry Fitzgerald (knee) is "making a push to play," but would be "pretty limited" if active against the Falcons.

Fitzgerald, who is questionable, is shaping up as a true game-time decision for the 4:05 PM ET kickoff. If he suits up, he'd be hard to trust as anything more than a WR3/4. The biggest effect Fitzgerald's game status will have is on John Brown, who could see a nice uptick in targets if Fitzgerald ends up sitting out.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Nov 30 - 11:21 AM

Users who are viewing this thread