What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Fitzgerald (2 Viewers)

I love Fitz and I expect he could be effective as a WR1 for at least two more years on another team, so the deal makes sense from that perspective.

But given how the Cardinals actually use him it makes no sense at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald's new two-year, $22 million contract with the Cardinals contains a no-trade clause.

As all of Fitzgerald's 2015-2016 pay is guaranteed and he can prevent any would-be trades, Fitz is locked in as a Cardinal through his age-33 season (2016). Fitzgerald received a $10 million signing bonus and will get base salaries of $1 million in 2015 and $11 million in 2016. There are $16 million salaries in 2017 and 2018, but they void after the 2016-2017 Super Bowl.

Source: Joel Corry on Twitter
Feb 20 - 10:44 AM

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald's new two-year, $22 million contract with the Cardinals contains a no-trade clause.

As all of Fitzgerald's 2015-2016 pay is guaranteed and he can prevent any would-be trades, Fitz is locked in as a Cardinal through his age-33 season (2016). Fitzgerald received a $10 million signing bonus and will get base salaries of $1 million in 2015 and $11 million in 2016. There are $16 million salaries in 2017 and 2018, but they void after the 2016-2017 Super Bowl.

That is crazy. Not sure what the Cardinals are thinking. That is total overpayment for a receiver who was clearly on the decline last year. $10 million signing bonus? Why not move forward with Floyd and Brown, who cleary have the talent. The Cardinals and the Bidwells are cleary the most dysfunctional team this side of the Raiders.

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald - WR - Cardinals

Coach Bruce Arians said Larry Fitzgerald struggled on option routes last season.

Fitzgerald, playing as an inside possession receiver at age 31, finished with just 63 catches for 784 yards and a career-worst two TDs. Poor quarterback play and nagging knee woes were known culprits, but it's a bit surprising that such a savvy veteran didn't fully grasp the scheme. "Larry struggled early when we gave him two or three-way options," said Arians. "He plays faster when he has one option. You have to play almost as fast with two options." Arians went on to say Fitz has made great progress and expects a bounceback with a healthy Carson Palmer.

Source: Arizona Republic

Apr 2 - 8:42 AM

Rotoworld:

That is crazy. Not sure what the Cardinals are thinking. That is total overpayment for a receiver who was clearly on the decline last year. $10 million signing bonus? Why not move forward with Floyd and Brown, who cleary have the talent. The Cardinals and the Bidwells are cleary the most dysfunctional team this side of the Raiders.
Really? Most dysfunctional? They were 9-1 last year when Palmer was healthy. Arians and Kiem make a great team and have churned the roster with great success. If anything, the Cards are quickly becoming one of the better run teams in the league.

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald said it's "not possible" for him to put up big statistics in the Cardinals' scheme.

"And it’s only that reason, because of the role that I play. It’s a different role," Fitzgerald said. "I just don’t have the opportunities down the field. I’m more inside, I move the chains a lot more." We'd have an easier time buying this if Hines Ward and Reggie Wayne didn't fill up the box score while playing the same blocking/possession receiver role in Bruce Arians' scheme. Even with Carson Palmer (knee) returning, Fitzgerald is a very shaky fantasy bet. He hasn't gone over 1,000 yards since 2011.

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com
Apr 23 - 7:58 AM

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald had the best statistics of Cardinals wide receivers in the six games Carson Palmer started last season.

Fitzgerald's 16-game pace stats in Palmer's six starts were 109.3 targets, 85.3 catches, 1,288 yards, and 5.3 touchdowns. Fitz has not hit 1,000 yards since the 2011 season and will soon turn 32, but he is the favorite to lead Arizona in targets this season. For a full rundown on Arizona's wide receiver corps -- as well as Andre Ellington, David Johnson, and Palmer -- read Evan Silva's 2015 Cardinals Fantasy Preview at the link below.

Source: Cardinals Fantasy Preview
Jun 15 - 8:28

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald has dropped just two passes over his last two seasons.

That's out of 236 targets. Fitzgerald's route-running isn't what it used to be, but when the ball is near him, he almost always makes the play. Fitz played his best football with Carson Palmer under center last year, reeling in 32 catches for 483 yards in Palmer's six games. If Palmer stays healthy, which is a huge if given his questionable durability, Fitzgerald could emerge as a fantasy sleeper in 2015.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Jul 10 - 11:15 AM

:tumbleweed:

What happened here? He's only 32. I miss you Larry.

Comeback player of the year. :popcorn:
The drop off in WR play is pretty small at age 32, so it certainly is feasible. The problem is that Larry himself has said that his role in this offense isn't going to yield big numbers. And he's never been a big yards after the catch guy anyway. At least that hasn't been my impression. Floyd and Brown will eat up all the downfield targets and Floyd isn't a bad redzone target himself. I fully expect Fitz to be a value play this year, but his upside appears limited. However, he's managed to pull double digit TDs out of worse situations.

You think he can return to catching 33% of his team's PTD? If so, a 2013 stat line should be easily achievable and that netted him a WR16 end of season ranking. It is worth noting that he had two different hamstring injuries during that season.

At least the price is finally right to have him as your WR3/4 this year. I can see someone going RB heavy in the earlier rounds and banking on Fitz in the 7th/8th. If Palmer stays healthy, I agree, something like 75-80/900-1000/6-8 seems very feasible. Assuming Palmer/Fitz stay healthy, you very well may be paying for his floor.

I think he may be in the 65-70 catch range but I think his TD's will definitely climb back up if Palmer can stay healthy.

It was posted above but with Palmer in the lineup last year he was on pace for 85-1288-5. Where he's being drafted right now, you don't even have to draft him as a starter.

At least the price is finally right to have him as your WR3/4 this year. I can see someone going RB heavy in the earlier rounds and banking on Fitz in the 7th/8th. If Palmer stays healthy, I agree, something like 75-80/900-1000/6-8 seems very feasible. Assuming Palmer/Fitz stay healthy, you very well may be paying for his floor.
Didnt draft a WR until the 6th based on what was available...Fitz is my 2/3...I'll take him :pickle:

It's funny how these things come full circle. From a perennial stud to a guy that earned a long thread about how someone wouldn't draft him in the 3rd round back to maybe one of the top 5 value picks of the year.

always great to see Fitz do well, which he does whenever he has a decent QB.

Should we sell high on Fitz ?

Got an offer: Big Ben for Fitz (redraft), have Stafford and Bradford for QB :X :X :X

It's funny how these things come full circle. From a perennial stud to a guy that earned a long thread about how someone wouldn't draft him in the 3rd round back to maybe one of the top 5 value picks of the year.

always great to see Fitz do well, which he does whenever he has a decent QB.
....AND is healthy. It's been a while since both occurred.

Didnt draft a WR until the 6th based on what was available...Fitz is my 2/3...I'll take him :pickle:
I own zero shares this year but I'm not even mad, he's one of the few players I genuinely like to see doing well.

Benched CJ Anderson for him at flex this week and didn't love it to be honest haha. That feeling didn't last long

Tempted to sell high too, but I have both Fitz and Palmer so think I'll ride it out with them together. Arizona hosts San Francisco next :)

Money talks...very happy to see that the contract was at least partly about planning to use him as a WR1 again. One of my favorite players.

Benched CJ Anderson for him at flex this week and didn't love it to be honest haha. That feeling didn't last long

Tempted to sell high too, but I have both Fitz and Palmer so think I'll ride it out with them together. Arizona hosts San Francisco next :)
I've tested the waters and I'd be surprised if you can get decent value back in dynasty. Would you take a late 1st?

John Brown and Floyd do make me cagey about his upside.

Damnit i was so close to drafting him and switched to someone else at last minute. I can't bear to type who I picked instead.

I've tested the waters and I'd be surprised if you can get decent value back in dynasty. Would you take a late 1st?

John Brown and Floyd do make me cagey about his upside.
I was trying to get a 2nd in the off season and couldn't. After last week I was trying to get a 1st and couldn't. At this rate I will be happy just to let him finish his career on my team, while I rebuild.

I own zero shares this year but I'm not even mad, he's one of the few players I genuinely like to see doing well.
I take this back, I'm furious.

Anyone else contemplating cashing out in redraft? If so, what would you aim for? I'm thinking top 15 RB but unsure if I can get it.

Glad to see him doing so well, seems to be a really good dude.

Users who are viewing this thread