What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenjon Barner (1 Viewer)

msudaisy26

Footballguy
Anyone have any information on this guy. I heard they want to use him like Sproles, obviously they don't have the offense to make him as valuable as Sproles. Does he have any value as a dynasty stash? I really know anything about him but remember people talking about him during the preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think his value is very limited and he has a lot of roadblocks in his way to have any fantasy value. He is behind 3 talented RBs on the depth chart and Cam Newton is always a threat run in the red zone. Barner is older than the typical rookie at 24, so even if he can move up the depth chart in the next couple of years, half of his "prime years" are already over.

I did get to watch him play against the Bears in the preseason and he had a lot of quickness to him. I was pretty impressed at the time. Barner had major ball security issues that game as well. Stat sheet only says one fumble, but I recall at least two if not three moments in that game that could have been fumbles.

For a lottery ticket, you could do worse. I've got him on a deep watchlist along with both former ND runningbacks Riddick and Wood.

Seemed like Panther fans talked him up enough but CAR was never going to have room for him, even as a COP.

Either Kelly is thinking of diversifying his offense with a second pass catching back, or he just needed help with Polk and tucker hurt, or maybe he could become the real handcuff instead of Polk.

Makes Darrin Reaves a nice UFA sleeper given the combined mileage of the guys ahead of him.
Yup. Reaves has looked good. Telling IMO that his competition on the depth chart is sent packing despite Reaves missing time with a knee sprain.

Makes Darrin Reaves a nice UFA sleeper given the combined mileage of the guys ahead of him.
Yup. Reaves has looked good. Telling IMO that his competition on the depth chart is sent packing despite Reaves missing time with a knee sprain.
do you think Reaves can be fantasy relevant this year? My instincts are pretty clouded about this one due to the bias.

My gut thinks he can but my head says no way, not this year not with Jstew and dwill still getting massive carries.

I doubt it unless one of them gets hurt. With Stew, DW, and Tolbert ahead he's probably only a dynasty stash.

I doubt it unless one of them gets hurt. With Stew, DW, and Tolbert ahead he's probably only a dynasty stash.
Jstew will most def get hurt. Dwill is getting older and I am not sure how much of the offense they can run with Tolbert being full time.

Just playing devils advocate

Jstew will most def get hurt. Dwill is getting older and I am not sure how much of the offense they can run with Tolbert being full time.

He's in Philly now guys
reading comprehension down?
My bad, carry on discussing a hypothetical that doesn't exist anymore.

He's in Philly now guys
um, read it again

He's in Philly now guys
um, read it again
Ok I found it. I'll just carry on putting my foot in mouth

Rotoworld:

Kenjon Barner was reportedly "overmatched by nearly every linebacker and defensive back he lined up against" during Panthers camp.

Barner added 15 pounds during the offseason, but still couldn't become adequate as a pass blocker. If he sticks with the Eagles, it will be largely due to his ability to contribute in the return game. Barner fell behind Fozzy Whittaker in Carolina and was going to get cut. Note that the Eagles won't even have to give up that seventh-round pick to the Panthers unless Barner is on the 46-man active roster for at least four games this season.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Aug 20 - 9:10 AM

Eagles are short at running back for the last two preseason games, since they don't want to use McCoy and Sproles much until the actual season starts, and a couple of the guys competing for 3rd/4th RB have been out with nagging injuries. I will be surprised if he makes the roster, but even if he does he'll not get much playing time short of something catastrophic.

And as noted above, they can also use a backup return guy, since they don't want Sproles doing too much during the preseason.

Just opened thread to make sure he wasn't dead.  Usually when you see a 3 year old thread with 19 posts, something's gone down. 

I don't think he'll be relevant this year.  He has potential, and was very exciting when returning, but when he got the ball in play he looked overmatched.  Definitely has some ball security issues.

He's looking great and put on some muscle over the winter. Definitely can carve out a role ala Westbrook.

He didn't have any fumbling problems at Oregon.  I never thought he would be an every down back in the NFL but I hope he proves me wrong.  Great attitude and who knows maybe he takes advantage of this opportunity 

Yeah you know, carve out that 2000 offensive yard per year role. 
If we keep Sproles then I don't even know if Barner can make this team.  Would be surprised if Smallwood didn't make this team, so not sure what we're gonna do at that spot.

If we keep Sproles then I don't even know if Barner can make this team.  Would be surprised if Smallwood didn't make this team, so not sure what we're gonna do at that spot.
I think it isn't uncommon to carry 4 RBs if one or two of them contribute on special teams. Does Barner do this? Maybe Smallwood will? I wouldn't be shocked if Sproles is cut, though. He's 33 now and might've hit that cliff last year.

I think it is time to take notice of Kenjon Barner.  Barner was impressive at Oregon, but struck me as a back who lacks the physicality to be an effective inside runner or in pass protection.  Nevertheless, he is emerging as the RB2 behind the oft-injured Ryan Mathews.  Looking impressive in a couple of exhibition games obviously does not equate to regular season value, but the lack of depth at the position for the Eagles has me thinking Barner could have some sneaky value, especially considering he is essentially free.

Let's dust this one off with a 700+ day bumper.

Not sure how I was able to stroll to the WW to pick him up this week. He'll basically be in the Rex role and he was universally rostered during drafts. And that's when Hill was still around.

Plus, in return leagues my guess is he is returning punts. Some solid flex value to be had here.

Let's dust this one off with a 700+ day bumper.

Not sure how I was able to stroll to the WW to pick him up this week. He'll basically be in the Rex role and he was universally rostered during drafts. And that's when Hill was still around.

Plus, in return leagues my guess is he is returning punts. Some solid flex value to be had here.
This is a great bump. It seemed like the Pats had like 8 RBs and now it’s 3.

This is a great bump. It seemed like the Pats had like 8 RBs and now it’s 3.
Exactly. I think the collective reaction as "meh" because it's just-one-more-Pats-RB but they literally have three. And one of them is a rookie who looked a little off coming off a knee injury. And the other is a RB who is only effective catching passes.

I actually think BB will more than likely swing a trade for a more traditional RB to spell Michel, but if he doesn't, Barner has legit flex value.

Users who are viewing this thread