What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chromebook -- Highly recommend (2 Viewers)

Finally started to wear out. After 5 years, I bought an HP 14 Chromebook. Letting my kids use the old one. 

Is chromebook a type of computer? Like a desk top or a lap top? I'm not sure I understand what a chromebook is. I thought it was a brand but I'm now guessing I am wrong. :bag:

What would be a good one for someone who likes to do their budget, surf the innernets, and write a novel?

:lmao:

It’s a laptop.  Chrome is an operating system—different from Apple Mac OS and different from Windows. (It’s actually derived from Linux).

More info here:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/chromebook-buying-advice
Thanks for only using one lmao eoticon. I did expect to be humiliated with this confession. I figured better here then asking my kids.

Thanks for the answer as well. That is truly news to me.

Any thoughts on the Samsung chromebook plus? Looks to be in the $500.00 range. I was looking at them because I think we have a stockpile of reward points with Verizon.

Are there comparable at a better price?

Any thoughts on the Samsung chromebook plus? Looks to be in the $500.00 range. I was looking at them because I think we have a stockpile of reward points with Verizon.

Are there comparable at a better price?
They get great reviews. I almost bought one a while back. The Asus Flipbook is what I have and it’s solid. 

Though this stupid thread just got me web shopping and on a whim I bought the Pixelbook :bag:    Figure it’s my working from home machine and I use it often, may as well make it the best. 

I got my Pixelbook today.  Holy crap.  This thing is AWESOME.

First of all, my work connection through Citrix, and holy christ, the connection is about a million times better than on my old Chromebook.  Granted this one is double the price of the old one.  But it shows.  And the fit and finish on this thing is great.  I'ts beautiful.  It's thin and light.  The keyboard is outstanding.  The trackpad is great.  

Totally in love.  Worth every penny.

I got my Pixelbook today.  Holy crap.  This thing is AWESOME.

First of all, my work connection through Citrix, and holy christ, the connection is about a million times better than on my old Chromebook.  Granted this one is double the price of the old one.  But it shows.  And the fit and finish on this thing is great.  I'ts beautiful.  It's thin and light.  The keyboard is outstanding.  The trackpad is great.  

Totally in love.  Worth every penny.
Love my Pixelbook.

Looking for a good budget chrome book for my mom.  Needs to be large screen though 15”+

she will just use for internet browsing 

Any recommendations?

Damnit, wish I had bought my Pixelbook refurbed.  It's totally awesome.
Funny the whole idea behind these (for me anyway) was super cheap virus free internet surfing. Now I'm spending 700+ after just spending 400 months ago. I miss the 99 specials that started this. I am excited to get this thing.

For instance this $500 Lenovo seems like a very good deal....

https://slickdeals.net/f/12760117-lenovo-flex-6-14-2-in-1-laptop-ryzen-5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-win-10-500-free-shipping?src=rcm_category

... and an even better deal if you are comparing it to one of the higher end chromebooks. If you do a great deal of typing Lenovo is generally thought to have the best keyboards on the market. For almost a decade I've "tried" to move away from windows machines but the combination of Lightroom/Photoshop/Steam games library has meant I have always had at least one Windows computer.
I took your advice. Typing this on the Lenovo 2 in 1 you recommended. Just got it today, but I am enjoying it for sure. I needed the option to put some CAD software on my machine, so I had to rule out chromebooks. 

Picked up the HP Chromebook X2 last weekend for $399 ($200 off from Best Buy) and I'm really liking it. I technically bought it for my wife so I'm still looking for a regular laptop that I can use to scratch my gaming itch. 

Funny the whole idea behind these (for me anyway) was super cheap virus free internet surfing. Now I'm spending 700+ after just spending 400 months ago. I miss the 99 specials that started this. I am excited to get this thing.
The Pixelbook is one of the nicest laptops ever made IMO.  It's perfectly reasonable at 1k.  At 699 it's a bargain.

I took your advice. Typing this on the Lenovo 2 in 1 you recommended. Just got it today, but I am enjoying it for sure. I needed the option to put some CAD software on my machine, so I had to rule out chromebooks. 
I hope it works out well for you. You mention the CAD software and try as hard as I might I find myself in the same boat.... there is always some essential piece of software that runs better on windows than any other platform that persuades me to have at least ONE Windows computer in the house. Those Lenovo/IBM/ThinkPad keyboards have always been considered one of the best so I hope you find that as a benefit. It's amazing that there are laptops being made in 2019 for ~2k and people are still complaining about keyboards from major manufacturers.

For a lot of people I think they aren't sure they CAN get by on a chromebook so they buy a test model first. That forces them to try some of the online apps(which are always improving) and some people are pretty surprised at just how powerful those are. I know the photo apps keep getting closer to convincing me to ditch photoshop/lightroom.

The good news is having a second, inexpensive laptop around is pretty convenient. For instance I have my last Chromebook upstairs at home in the guest bedroom and use it most of the time as a streaming device for a television. The Chromebook that is even older than that stays tucked under the passenger seat of the car so that if I need to duck into a coffee shop and write out a long email(especially if it has nested links) I can do that so much faster than trying to do that on my phone.... but that could be because I'm not a millennial. Sometimes it's nice to have if I'm stuck waiting for some random reason. The one in the car was just over $100, and the one in the guest bedroom was just under $200 so over the past few years they have easily been worth the expense even after they have been replaced as my go-to travel laptops.

I recently got a refurbished Lenovo T440s for $160 and popped in a new 500 GB SSD for $60 and I got an Office Key off ebay for cheap too. Very happy with the price/performance.

Anyone using one of these with MS Office 365 successfully? Got a recommendation? My home laptop is crapping out and looking to get a new laptop on Amazon Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
These things have better resolution yet? Bought one a couple years ago and had to return because too blurry at decent don't size. Got an iPad instead.

These things have better resolution yet? Bought one a couple years ago and had to return because too blurry at decent don't size. Got an iPad instead.
They are probably better, but I don't think they really approach ipad resolution. If that's what matters to you most I'd stick with ipad.

The problem being you are comparing a Chromebook(the majority sell for $200-$300) to an ipad that STARTS at nearly $1k and after all the accessories are included the majority of ipads probably end up costing $1k+. At least when you are comparing ~13" chromebooks to ~13" ipads. At least the ipads now have USB-C ports and a huge upgrade to the OS.

my son only uses a computer to play this online game Roblox.....he's 8. Prob will need a real computer within 2 years, but figure a chrome book will be a good option to get him off our computers. Does the CB's have enough horsepower to run that game (if anyone knows it)? 
Roblox works fine for my son on his Acer Chromebook R13. 

2.5 years in and battery died. Cord required to operate and it randomly loses connection and dies. Probably looking at a Samsung Pro or Plus to replace it. 
I know this is an old post but it’s super easy to change out a battery. I did it for my kid’s Acer R13. Bought it on eBay. 

You guys that have switched from Windows to Chrome...  any regrets?

Are there programs that you wanted to run that you can't because you have a Chromebook? How about torrenting... can I torrent as easily on a Chrombook as with a Windows Pc. 

leftcoastguy7 said:
You guys that have switched from Windows to Chrome...  any regrets?

Are there programs that you wanted to run that you can't because you have a Chromebook? How about torrenting... can I torrent as easily on a Chrombook as with a Windows Pc. 
haven't missed Windows a bit. the Chromebook isn't constantly updating with bull#### i don't need or want. it's not under siege by hackers. it's just clean, fast and trouble free.

works perfectly for my needs. which are decidedly minimal but when this one dies (had it for several years now and it has not bogged down in the slightest) i will be replacing it with another Chromebook.

Just bought one for my daughter.  She uses her younger brother's chromebook quite a bit.  She was holding out for a MacBook, but I think the chromebook's efficiency sealed the deal.  It has everything she needs - except for the Apple name, which is all teenagers recognize at this point.  

For the third time in this thread my current Chromebook was "gifted" to my daughter. It was the year old refurb Pixelbook for $699 on this page. 

I got by with phone, tablet, pc for a few weeks and as an experiment ordered one of the old refurbed "end of life" Pixels on Ebay. "These units are professionally refurbished by a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher (MAR)." Yup. $189.99, a little scuffed and dinged on the bottom, still with better specs than any sub $300 Chromebook, but the big cavaet is no more security updates, end of life. According to nerds at ChromebookGuys it's a huge issue and the missing security patches make these non-starters.

So I stumbled across Neverware. CloudReady turns almost any computer into a Chrome device (completely up to date with guaranteed updates going fwd). It's free. I just downloaded it on a usb stick and stuck it in the refurb and followed instructions. Looks like a brand new chrome os to me. 

It was in better condition than I expected. In ran perfect. The battery is only good for 5-6 hours, which works fine for me. So for $190 plus tax I am pretty happy for now.

So if I wanted to spend about $300 on a computer to do web browsing and run TurboTax once a year, a Chromebook makes more sense than a laptop with Windows?

So if I wanted to spend about $300 on a computer to do web browsing and run TurboTax once a year, a Chromebook makes more sense than a laptop with Windows?
Gosh yes.  I even do some light "Word" type of stuff and it rocks.  I don't think I'll ever own a Windows-based computer again.  I use them at work but that's it.  

For anyone buying a Chromebook soon, sounds like Google is launching a "Pixelbook Go" at tomorrow's event, sounds pretty decent from the leaks

For the third time in this thread my current Chromebook was "gifted" to my daughter. It was the year old refurb Pixelbook for $699 on this page. 

I got by with phone, tablet, pc for a few weeks and as an experiment ordered one of the old refurbed "end of life" Pixels on Ebay. "These units are professionally refurbished by a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher (MAR)." Yup. $189.99, a little scuffed and dinged on the bottom, still with better specs than any sub $300 Chromebook, but the big cavaet is no more security updates, end of life. According to nerds at ChromebookGuys it's a huge issue and the missing security patches make these non-starters.

So I stumbled across Neverware. CloudReady turns almost any computer into a Chrome device (completely up to date with guaranteed updates going fwd). It's free. I just downloaded it on a usb stick and stuck it in the refurb and followed instructions. Looks like a brand new chrome os to me. 

It was in better condition than I expected. In ran perfect. The battery is only good for 5-6 hours, which works fine for me. So for $190 plus tax I am pretty happy for now.
Am i missing something, but your ebay link is a Chromebook, no?

Am i missing something, but your ebay link is a Chromebook, no?
Yes. They are just at  their "end of life". No more updates. I read it is a problem. So I jumped through the hoops to set up Neverware. I'm not completely happy and may switch to a linux distro with Chromium. It was an experiment that seemed to work, but without typing a bunch... has major glitches.

Pixelbook Go retail = $1000

Chromebook = $250 or even less some places
Pixelbook (original) is $1k, the Go version starts at $650

You can get cheap ones but not with the specs and build quality of this one. It's still probably $100-150 more than a comparable one from another manufacturer though.

Costco has a Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 12.2" 1080p touchscreen with Intel Celeron processor for $300 delivered. 

online only

Users who are viewing this thread