What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chromebook -- Highly recommend (1 Viewer)

Got mine yesterday. So far, I'm on the fence. Absolutely LOVE the speed. Machine is lightweight. Battery life so far is as expected (8+ hours) - used it for about 4 hours last night and still had ~60% battery left. Connected flawlessly to free 4G, my WiFi, ChromeCast.

What I have some issues is getting used to the Chrome "OS". It's odd having everything run through a browser. Setup was a little clumsy, but once I got the hang of it, it was OK I guess. Have not been able to successfully set up an air printer with it yet, although I think that's more of an issue with my crappy old printer than the ChromeBook). Will take some getting used to, but for what I intend to use it for (browsing, streaming, email), it's as advertised.
Which model?
The one we've been talking about

ETA: One other thing... the white keyboard worries me a little. I envision the keys getting dirty as I'm using this thing while watching TV and scarfing down a bag of greasy chips
Is the keyboard spacious? I have giant Otis hands.
:thunderclap highfive:

Got mine yesterday. So far, I'm on the fence. Absolutely LOVE the speed. Machine is lightweight. Battery life so far is as expected (8+ hours) - used it for about 4 hours last night and still had ~60% battery left. Connected flawlessly to free 4G, my WiFi, ChromeCast.

What I have some issues is getting used to the Chrome "OS". It's odd having everything run through a browser. Setup was a little clumsy, but once I got the hang of it, it was OK I guess. Have not been able to successfully set up an air printer with it yet, although I think that's more of an issue with my crappy old printer than the ChromeBook). Will take some getting used to, but for what I intend to use it for (browsing, streaming, email), it's as advertised.
Which model?
The one we've been talking about

ETA: One other thing... the white keyboard worries me a little. I envision the keys getting dirty as I'm using this thing while watching TV and scarfing down a bag of greasy chips
Is the keyboard spacious? I have giant Otis hands.
Very. But that does remind me of another thing I don't like... No PgUp/PgDown keys. WTF?

ETA: Mouse pad is a bit different too... no left/right click buttons on it. I think it's similar to a Mac (I've never used one, so I'm going on hearsay). Just took a bit to get used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered an Acer C720 from Amazon yesterday, though it's out of stock for now. Will report back when it comes in.

Trying to convince the wife to get one of these. Significantly cheaper and I like the idea of being able to power-wash anytime it starts to slow down.

What is the lowest price anyone has seen on a 14" Chromebook? If someone sees a deal on one before the end of the year I hope they'll post it.

Any issues with watching Amazon Instant Videos on these things? Flash is an issue with mobile chrome, wondering if these chromebooks are similar.

the moops said:
Any issues with watching Amazon Instant Videos on these things? Flash is an issue with mobile chrome, wondering if these chromebooks are similar.
I haven't watched Amazon Instant, but with Chromecast it works perfectly. That said, Chromecast bypasses your laptop after it starts streaming, so I don't think it's really testing the laptop's horsepower or performance in that respect. Not sure if you can do the same with Amazon, or how they'll perform with Amazon. I suspect it will depend pretty heavily on the particular device.

I got the 14" HP a few weeks ago and love it. Haven't tried much on it but browsing and email and youtube but it's perfect for what it is.

Oh. Isnt it white in the picture on that page though?
Wrong picture.

Trust me, the HP Chromebook Pavillion 14 is black and only black. Its pretty mediocre too.

Staples is not selling the new one for $150 discount. They're clearing out the old one.

So is there any others besides the new HP that is worth grabbing?
Depends on what you want.

The new HP 11 has an exploding power brick, so I'd avoid.

The Acer c720 is Haswell, and has at least 2 variations out now (2Gb and 4GB RAM). Its the best value.

The HP 14 has a full size keyboard, Haswell, and a 14 inch screen.

Toshiba has a Haswell one in the pipeline, probably will come out after the holidays.

Haswell is a processor. It has fantastic battery life. The Chromebooks with a Haswell processor can typically run 9ish hours on a full charge, non stop.

ETA: Its also pretty snappy/fast

Haswell is a processor. It has fantastic battery life. The Chromebooks with a Haswell processor can typically run 9ish hours on a full charge, non stop.

ETA: Its also pretty snappy/fast
FYI... I used my Chromebook yesterday from noon until 11:30pm pretty much non stop. Awesome battery life.

the moops said:
Can someone try this for me? Who has Amazon Prime and one of these? I am reading mixed reviews about connecting to instant stream on Amazon.

the moops said:
Can someone try this for me? Who has Amazon Prime and one of these? I am reading mixed reviews about connecting to instant stream on Amazon.
I don't have Amazon Instant Videos, but it wouldn't make sense that it wouldn't work as long as it opens in a chrome browser.

the moops said:
It's working fine for me. a couple notes:

You may need to disable the 'https everywhere' extension (if you're using it) as it looks like some of AWS may fail for video delivery if you're requiring it.

It works fine on the chromebook via a browser, but I can't speak to chromecast. I've read that APV and chromecast don't work together. That doesn't stop you from watching videos from amazon on the chromebook, though.

Acer C720 is perfect for couch based internet surfing. It is super zippy. For $250 new, I could not be happier.

I'm probably going to use a wireless mouse most of the time because I generally hate touch pads.

for those missing the page up page down, try alt-down arrow and alt-up arrow

My wife and I have Android phones, both with our own separate Gmail accounts/logins.

Do the Chromebooks support multiple accounts, or would we have to merge everything we have and want to access to a single Gmail account for a Chromebook?

My wife and I have Android phones, both with our own separate Gmail accounts/logins.

Do the Chromebooks support multiple accounts, or would we have to merge everything we have and want to access to a single Gmail account for a Chromebook?
Absolutely supports multiple accounts... gracefully.

CNET has this to say. :shrug:

the 14-inch screen runs at a not too impressive 1,366x768-pixel resolution and looks pretty awfully pixelated

the 14-inch screen runs at a not too impressive 1,366x768-pixel resolution and looks pretty awfully pixelated
Are you sure it's for that model? There are previous HP 14" models... even so, I haven't noticed it

ETA: I am seeing reviews out there that the screen isn't IPS and that it could be better. Guess I'm not that picky about it. I watched a couple episodes of Breaking Bad on it last night and I didn't once think to myself "the picture is crappy"

Are you sure it's for that model? There are previous HP 14" models... even so, I haven't noticed it

ETA: I am seeing reviews out there that the screen isn't IPS and that it could be better. Guess I'm not that picky about it. I watched a couple episodes of Breaking Bad on it last night and I didn't once think to myself "the picture is crappy"
Tech bloggers complain about 720P resolution because its not the latest or greatest. Its perfectly fine for a chromebook where you're surfing the web and watching and occasional video. Is it an IMAX in your lap? No, hence people making ridiculous comments that its pixelated and stuff. I wouldn't worry about it. 2 years ago tech bloggers would be calling this amazing, better than Retina, etc.

So, what's the purpose of paying $300+ for the 14" Chromebook vs buying a budget Toshiba laptop in the same price range? Seems like weight and battery life are really the only sellers, right?

So, what's the purpose of paying $300+ for the 14" Chromebook vs buying a budget Toshiba laptop in the same price range? Seems like weight and battery life are really the only sellers, right?
Also no software costs/maintenance. Speed/boot time.

boot speed is WAY better on the Chromebook.

Chromebooks can't get viruses.

You never have to update software.

Also no software costs/maintenance. Speed/boot time.
The bolded, weight, and battery life. I won't buy another machine that isn't flash based, pretty much ever again. Instant-on is the kind of thing you can't live without once you have it. Lol at "booting up."

Also the battery life on these things is fantastic.

I think the only reason why people buy this iteration of a cheapo spybook is that you don't boot into Windows 8.

I think the only reason why people buy this iteration of a cheapo spybook is that you don't boot into Windows 8.
you're out of your mind if you think a windows laptop isn't collect even more data on you than a Chromebook. Or in serious denial.

Anyone catch that "scroogled" commercial with the pawn stars guys bashing the chromebook? Its laughable, two guys who couldn't know less about computers, good job microsoft.

Users who are viewing this thread