What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who the Heck is Tim Wright? (1 Viewer)

GoodLloydHaveMercy

Footballguy
Just finished watching NFL rewind philly vs Tampa and I gotta say I am impressed... Move TE with decent speed and made some difficult catches in traffic... WR/TE in yahoo... Maybe worth a look in redraft or dynasty

Glennon looked to be locking in on him as much as VJackson. Mike Williams not playing had to impact the targets Wright received so I'm tempering a bit based on William's health.

Glennon looked to be locking in on him as much as VJackson. Mike Williams not playing had to impact the targets Wright received so I'm tempering a bit based on William's health.
he had 6 targets when williams was playing 2 weeks ago in glennons debut. hes listed at 6'4" 220 lbs so i would guess he will be used as a wr/te in TB and in fantasy

eta: and supposedly tom crabtree is coming back who was listed as the starting te on their depth chart, so theres that

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone I'd rather own in PPR than Mike Williams....

The guy is a WR playing TE. He's Glennon's safety valve right now.I look for his PT only to continue going up. Recruited by and played for Schiano at Rutgers.

As said, played at Rutgers with Schiano. Wasn't highly recruited out of high school (my ex-girlfriend was his math teacher, for an FYI) but showed some promise early on, later derailed by a knee injury. Rehabbed and worked hard to come back and was named a captain during his senior year, although he was more of a 3rd/4th WR. Doesn't have any impressive measurables or talents that jump out at you, but his hands are pretty good. That being said, he had two horrendous drops in the last game of the season against Louisville which Rutgers fans likely will never forgive...one where he was wide open on a crossing pattern with nothing but daylight in front of him, which would have given a 4th quarter lead, and it clanked off his hands. Then on a later drive, again wide open in a tie game, ball is thrown into his chest and for some reason he decided to jump and managed to kick the ball into the hands of a UL defender, which led to the game winning (and BCS Bowl clinching) FG. ### #### it.

He's also a great barber, so he'll be a good locker room guy.

Hello!!?? "Dreamweaver," "Spooky Tooth" - doesn't ring a bell??

Too many damn kids on these boards. Guy was a rock god.
I'm 40 and I have know idea wtf you are talking about.
Tim Wright I believe, sung Dreamweaver......the song that Waynes World brought back for an encore in the early 90's I think......

40 as well, and that's how I am putting 2 and 2 together here.
Gary Wright sang Dreamweaver.

Tim Wright I believe, sung Dreamweaver......the song that Waynes World brought back for an encore in the early 90's I think......

Thank You....

Since he is Schiano's guy I still feel he will but it's risky play. I picked him up but I'm going to wait a week to plug him in. I think he is way better than Crabtree FWIW

His snap percentage has been below 60% (50% last week) and and mwilliams was out last week. Caution. Not saying he will not produce, just that not all the signs are there....yet.

Crabtree was back last week. He'll be the blocking TE.

Williams will take back his WR2 role. As stated above, I'd rather own Wright at TE than Williams at WR in a PPR. Re-watched game a little bit ago, Wright had several (at least 3) clutch 3rd down receptions last week -- Glennon is clearly comfortable with him.

His snap percentage has been below 60% (50% last week) and and mwilliams was out last week. Caution. Not saying he will not produce, just that not all the signs are there....yet.
Not too concerned with the snap count to date. He's an undrafted rookie, they tend to not dominate their first 5 games.

Like the opportunity I guess. Not sure if I want to drop someone of value for him. Hard to judge his value. Is he looking like a good dynasty stash?

Like the opportunity I guess. Not sure if I want to drop someone of value for him. Hard to judge his value. Is he looking like a good dynasty stash?
I think so, but it depends on your league. Don;t see him as a top 25 guy yet, but the potential is there to be decent.

Yeah ...Gary "TIMOTHY" Weaver!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nn0L6055gs

I dropped cook for him in ppr redraft... An overreaction sure but I have Julius Thomas and I don't like cooks vibe in St. Louis as it looks too similar to his time in Tennessee and feels good to cut bait

:lmao: Gary Wright!

Rolling Big Tim Wright over Fleener this week.

He's a converted WR.

He's playing normal TE position with his hand in the ground. Crabtree's their blocking TE. Wright is more or less their #3 WR right now that's working the middle of the field. Upside isn't great for this year, but if you need J,Graham or other bye filler or got stuck with Jared Cook at TE, you certainly can do worse.

Glennon went to Wright (and converted) on 4 separate occasions on 3rd and long on Sunday. He clearly is looking for and trusts him. And his snaps are on the rise. The guy just got done playing his 5th game at the TE position (only played 10 total snaps Weeks 1-2 with Stocker healthy) -- so there's decent upside appeal here. With Luke Stocker on IR, he's the only receiving option at TE on their team.

For his 1st NFL start, the guy looked very solid.

IMO there is no reason he can't be every bit as productive or cause as much hype in fantasy circles as Jordan Reed in Washington... If he can block he can stay on the field and be productive... Nice start and I will be interested to see if his role grows in the short term

IMO there is no reason he can't be every bit as productive or cause as much hype in fantasy circles as Jordan Reed in Washington... If he can block he can stay on the field and be productive... Nice start and I will be interested to see if his role grows in the short term
Jordan Reed was a highly-touted prospect who was very productive at a national powerhouse in a brutal conference, and who got drafted in the 3rd round despite the fact that he couldn't block a telemarketer if you emailed him a link to the national "Do Not Call" registry. He plays with an elite young QB in a phenomenal offense that happens to be completely and utterly devoid of receiving talent beyond Pierre Garcon (and also lacking future draft picks to acquire said talent). He has ascended the depth chart entirely through his own merit rather than through injury to the players in front of him (who, it must be said, are pretty solid players in their own right). He's currently on pace to be the 7th rookie TE to average 40 yards per game and the 3rd rookie TE to average 4 receptions per game in the last 30 years.

Tim Wright was an undrafted free agent who was never particularly productive at a middling program in a weak conference. He landed on his current team due to ties with a head coaching regime who will likely be fired by the end of the season, if not sooner. He plays in a crappy passing offense that already features two proven, productive receivers, and his opportunity has largely been a result of injury ahead of him. He's currently on pace for under 450 receiving yards.

I'm not meaning to bash Tim Wright, here. He was a revelation in his first start, and he's generated a lot of really positive buzz from a lot of guys who I really respect on Twitter. I've added him in several of my leagues, both redraft and dynasty. I think where your opportunity comes from is far less important than what you do with it. I'm just saying, it's WAY too early to be putting him in anywhere near the same class as a Jordan Reed.

Jordan Reed was a highly-touted prospect who was very productive at a national powerhouse in a brutal conference, and who got drafted in the 3rd round despite the fact that he couldn't block a telemarketer if you emailed him a link to the national "Do Not Call" registry. He plays with an elite young QB in a phenomenal offense that happens to be completely and utterly devoid of receiving talent beyond Pierre Garcon (and also lacking future draft picks to acquire said talent). He has ascended the depth chart entirely through his own merit rather than through injury to the players in front of him (who, it must be said, are pretty solid players in their own right). He's currently on pace to be the 7th rookie TE to average 40 yards per game and the 3rd rookie TE to average 4 receptions per game in the last 30 years.

Tim Wright was an undrafted free agent who was never particularly productive at a middling program in a weak conference. He landed on his current team due to ties with a head coaching regime who will likely be fired by the end of the season, if not sooner. He plays in a crappy passing offense that already features two proven, productive receivers, and his opportunity has largely been a result of injury ahead of him. He's currently on pace for under 450 receiving yards.

I'm not meaning to bash Tim Wright, here. He was a revelation in his first start, and he's generated a lot of really positive buzz from a lot of guys who I really respect on Twitter. I've added him in several of my leagues, both redraft and dynasty. I think where your opportunity comes from is far less important than what you do with it. I'm just saying, it's WAY too early to be putting him in anywhere near the same class as a Jordan Reed.
I agree with all of your logic and pedigree along with level of competition are important factors in player evaluations... Situation and opportunity also tend to be extremely important when it comes to fantasy production. There have been, however, situations whether it be by injury or otherwise (family issues etc. etc.) that have prevented talented players in college from reaching their potential IN COLLEGE. Rod Streater, Kenbrell Thompkins, Rashad Jennings, Mike Anderson, I mean the NFL has been littered with players across many different positions that for whatever reason didn't FIND their game until they got their shot in the NFL.

I'm not even going as far as to say that Tim Wright is absolutely somebody that slipped through the cracks and will turn into a star but I am certainly intrigued to see what happens.

I mean look at Derek Wake from PSU... A few yrs in the CFL (I believe) and a name change to Cameron and now he has made a name for himself as one of the better pass rushers in the NFL...

As far as Mr. Wright (see what I did there?...) his story in college involved injuries and an a hole coach... When he came back from injury he never really became a huge part of Rutgers attack from what I've read. The a hole coach is still there but Tim is no longer a WR but instead is being used as a TE. My commentary on wright being able to produce similarly to reed was based solely on what I saw of him at TE when I re watched this past weeks game and I saw the trust that glennon seemed to have in him (roommates apparently).

I agree with u that schiano may be gone very soon but until he is out of the picture I believe there could be some decent opportunity for wright to put enough on tape to play his way into the future plans for this team as a move TE... As a WR I believe he would have zero value but the fact that he can run like a slower WR from the TE spot I think he could continue to impress...

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Adam Harstad said:
GoodLloydHaveMercy said:

I agree with all of your logic and pedigree along with level of competition are important factors in player evaluations... Situation and opportunity also tend to be extremely important when it comes to fantasy production. There have been, however, situations whether it be by injury or otherwise (family issues etc. etc.) that have prevented talented players in college from reaching their potential IN COLLEGE.Rod Streater, Kenbrell Thompkins, Rashad Jennings, Mike Anderson, I mean the NFL has been littered with players across many different positions that for whatever reason didn't FIND their game until they got their shot in the NFL.

I'm not even going as far as to say that Tim Wright is absolutely somebody that slipped through the cracks and will turn into a star but I am certainly intrigued to see what happens.

I mean look at Derek Wake from PSU... A few yrs in the CFL (I believe) and a name change to Cameron and now he has made a name for himself as one of the better pass rushers in the NFL...

As far as Mr. Wright (see what I did there?...) his story in college involved injuries and an a hole coach... When he came back from injury he never really became a huge part of Rutgers attack from what I've read. The a hole coach is still there but Tim is no longer a WR but instead is being used as a TE. My commentary on wright being able to produce similarly to reed was based solely on what I saw of him at TE when I re watched this past weeks game and I saw the trust that glennon seemed to have in him (roommates apparently).

I agree with u that schiano may be gone very soon but until he is out of the picture I believe there could be some decent opportunity for wright to put enough on tape to play his way into the future plans for this team as a move TE... As a WR I believe he would have zero value but the fact that he can run like a slower WR from the TE spot I think he could continue to impress...
I agree, and like I said, I think Wright is an intriguing speculative add. I think we'll gain a lot of clarity on him in the next couple of weeks, and I love rostering guys who will give us a lot of clarity in a short amount of time (because you aren't forced to hold them forever to find out if they suck). I was mostly just throwing the flag on the Jordan Reed comparison.

Since 1980, only six TEs have averaged more PPG as a rookie than Reed has so far in PPR leagues. And at 9.85 points per game, Reed is within easy striking distance of joining Keith Jackson, Rob Awalt, Aaron Hernandez, and Jeremy Shockey as the only rookie TEs since 1980 to average 10+ PPG in PPR.

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Adam Harstad said:
GoodLloydHaveMercy said:

I agree with all of your logic and pedigree along with level of competition are important factors in player evaluations... Situation and opportunity also tend to be extremely important when it comes to fantasy production. There have been, however, situations whether it be by injury or otherwise (family issues etc. etc.) that have prevented talented players in college from reaching their potential IN COLLEGE.Rod Streater, Kenbrell Thompkins, Rashad Jennings, Mike Anderson, I mean the NFL has been littered with players across many different positions that for whatever reason didn't FIND their game until they got their shot in the NFL.

I agree, and like I said, I think Wright is an intriguing speculative add. I think we'll gain a lot of clarity on him in the next couple of weeks, and I love rostering guys who will give us a lot of clarity in a short amount of time (because you aren't forced to hold them forever to find out if they suck). I was mostly just throwing the flag on the Jordan Reed comparison.

Since 1980, only six TEs have averaged more PPG as a rookie than Reed has so far in PPR leagues. And at 9.85 points per game, Reed is within easy striking distance of joining Keith Jackson, Rob Awalt, Aaron Hernandez, and Jeremy Shockey as the only rookie TEs since 1980 to average 10+ PPG in PPR.
Concur that Reed >>> Wright. However, keeping in mind that Wright barely played in the first two games, his last 3 games give him an average of 4/46. Reed's average on the season? 4/41.

Stats over a short term have limited use, and Williams returning to play will likely knock Wright down a bit. Add to that the difference between RG3 and Glennon (although Glennon might be more likely to look for a dump off pass) and Reed is certainly more valuable than Wright. But I don't think the difference over the next month or two is all that great. FWIW, I'm one of the bigger Reed proponents on this board.

Joe Bussell (@NFLosophy on Twitter) was raving about Wright last night.

Tim Wright's a stud. If the Bucs re-design the offense, he's going to be fantastic. (Yes, that includes for fantasy purposes)

Tim Wright is a WR playing TE. His blocking is not good. But let's find a true TE and use him as a slot receiver and we're good.

-Joe Bussell (@NFLosophy)

For those that don't know, Bussell worked in operations for the Bucs under Rahim Moore and tweets a lot of the insider stuff about running a franchise.

Glennon's buddy he is. Seeing as the Bucs Defense is not as stout as they were, he could be a nice bye week flier for garbage time stats.

I'm holding him for Julius Thomas's by week. Seems like he's trending up a bit over the last 5 weeks.

19 catches for 195 yards over his last four games. Not a good blocker but he has developed into a decent FF TE2.

Joe Bussell (@NFLosophy on Twitter) was raving about Wright last night.

Tim Wright's a stud. If the Bucs re-design the offense, he's going to be fantastic. (Yes, that includes for fantasy purposes)

Tim Wright is a WR playing TE. His blocking is not good. But let's find a true TE and use him as a slot receiver and we're good.

-Joe Bussell (@NFLosophy)

For those that don't know, Bussell worked in operations for the Bucs under Rahim Moore and tweets a lot of the insider stuff about running a franchise.
I was very impressed with what I saw last night, as well. If Glennon did a little better job with his progressions, not rushing a throw, etc. he could have had Wright on a few more big gains. I was specifically watching him, and he broke WIDE open just as Glennon went elsewhere, scrambled, etc.

he's the d'bag that scored a meaningless TD with a couple minutes left in last nights game to put me in an early week 8 hole

With Finley probably done for the year, I am going to pick up Wright. He's listed as a TE on ESPN and seems like the best option available. I've got Cameron going this week but he has a bye coming up after that.

I'm pretty confident that Finley will not play another snap so I'm going to drop him for Wright. I like the fact that he's listed as a TE/WR and Mike Williams is now done for the season. Hopefully Wright will get those targets.

Users who are viewing this thread