GreenNGold

Post here when coaches do something obviously stupid

1,143 posts in this topic

4th and 4 from the PHI36, Garrett just chose to punt.

53 yarder... whats the weather like? Kicker situation? Not as dumb as you think.

If he isn't comfortable with the FG he should have went for it. Punting was terrible.

36 yard line vs. inside the 10 (hopefully)

You don't know much about football, huh?

Re-read what you just wrote until you understand why you are wrong. There are at minimum two logical errors in your thought process.

Edited by GreenNGold

Chargers on the Jaguars 1 was a pathetic sequence of events

They only had 9 or 10 attempts for some points.

53 yarder... whats the weather like? Kicker situation? Not as dumb as you think.

If he isn't comfortable with the FG he should have went for it. Punting was terrible.

Re-read what you just wrote until you understand why you are wrong. There are at minimum two logical errors in your thought process.

Yeah, do you want to give them the ball at the 43 (missed FG), give them the ball at the 36-33 yard line (failed 4th down), possibly gain enough to get the first down or punt and pin them deeper than the 36 yard line. What are the odds of each happening? In a defensive game with possible weather issues (I'm not sure since I'm not watching that game), pinning the team deep is not that bad of a decision.

Failed logic is on your side.

Edited by Mario Kart

Little more to it than that. Here's an analysis:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-4.html

It would strongly suggest that they should go for it. Now it is just using NFL averages, so you could argue that something about the Cowboys matchup against the Eagles makes it the right choice now, but it's much more complicated that your response.

Yeah, do you want to give them the ball at the 43 (missed FG), give them the ball at the 36-33 yard line (failed 4th down), possibly gain enough to get the first down or punt and pin them deeper than the 36 yard line. What are the odds of each happening? In a defensive game with possible weather issues (I'm not sure since I'm not watching that game), pinning the team deep is not that bad of a decision.

Failed logic is on your side.

weather says it is 60 degrees, sunny, and 12 mph winds could you please explain what is so bad about the weather? You are also forgetting that a successful conversion will most likely lead to points, punts are likely to end up in a touchback, in this case they ended up at the 15 for a net punt of 21 yards. That little bit of field position is not worth giving up the opportunity to score points.

It would strongly suggest that they should go for it. Now it is just using NFL averages, so you could argue that something about the Cowboys matchup against the Eagles makes it the right choice now, but it's much more complicated that your response.

Missing the weather variable as well as the FG kicker variable. What is the leg strength of Bailey? His long is 53 and he is, currently, 7-12 from 50+ (with 53 being his longest made). Any kind of wind add distance. Seems Garrett made the right call.

Missing the weather variable as well as the FG kicker variable. What is the leg strength of Bailey? His long is 53 and he is, currently, 7-12 from 50+ (with 53 being his longest made). Any kind of wind add distance. Seems Garrett made the right call.

My main argument is they should have went for it, i never said they should have kicked the FG, you seem to be focused on the FG argument. And now you are just making up extreme weather when it doesn't exist.

Part two of that study that led to those graphs goes through the average FG make % by field position. It assumes around a 56-58% make percentage from the 36. Which is around what Bailey's stats show. It doesn't go into wind as it's averaging all the wind conditions across all kicks since 1969. And the question here is really should they go for it or should they punt.

Edited by Mello

Any kind of wind adds distance? Even when the wind is at your back? :lol:

Any kind of wind adds distance? Even when the wind is at your back? :lol:

You know what was meant.

Bucs just kicked a FG down 14 with 5 min left to play. Schiano proving he doesn't belong in the NFL once again.

Bucs just kicked a FG down 14 with 5 min left to play. Schiano proving he doesn't belong in the NFL once again.

:popcorn:

That was one of the funniest things I've seen in the NFL in years. I was 100% sure it was either a fake or an attempt to draw an offsides. Because what head coach would be stupid enough to kick a FG with 5:00 left when it'll still leave you down two scores?

Apparently, we now have our answer. :lmao:

That was one of the funniest things I've seen in the NFL in years. I was 100% sure it was either a fake or an attempt to draw an offsides. Because what head coach would be stupid enough to kick a FG with 5:00 left when it'll still leave you down two scores?

Instead of going for it on 4th and goal from the 23. Turned out to be a reasonable call.

I hate to do this--because I have mad respect for BB from New England--but basically not using your teams best runner for the first 1.5 quarters of a game against the Jets is just outright stupid. He's an amazing coach--but sometimes it feels like he just does stuff because he can--not because it's in the best interest of the team.

I hate to do this--because I have mad respect for BB from New England--but basically not using your teams best runner for the first 1.5 quarters of a game against the Jets is just outright stupid. He's an amazing coach--but sometimes it feels like he just does stuff because he can--not because it's in the best interest of the team.

Agreed. Ridley comes off his best game of the season and doesn't see the ball until 5 minutes left in Q2 and on what his 2nd touch he takes it in for a TD from like 10-15 yards out against a team defending very well against the run? Give the guy the ball.

Instead of going for it on 4th and goal from the 23. Turned out to be a reasonable call.
sorry, that was one of the worst moves all season

Shanny letting Helu take 3 of Morris' TDs :cry:

Wrong thread

sorry, that was one of the worst moves all season

Yes and it's not the first time Schiano has done this. Look at last year's game against Denver. This clown needs to just quit and go back to coaching some junior college program.

browns are going for it in the same situation as described in the op. 6 min left. 4th and goal from the 4. just fyi.

Andy Reid calling a pass play on 2nd down with 2:30 left in the game. An incompletion would have given Houston a free timeout.

Marty Mornhinweg, how does this guy keep getting jobs? Got the ball in overtime and the best he can come up with is to have their plodding RBs run it 8 times in a row. What about one read-option in there? Gets bailed out on a ticky-tack penalty call on a missed 56-yard FG that would have given the Pats the ball nearly at midfield.

Browns going for it on 4th and 15 from the 31 losing 17-6.

Chiefs passing the ball on 3rd and 4 around midfield up a point with 1:55 left

Schiano did that to see the reactions of his players on film.

1 person likes this

You have to go all the way back to Matt Millen to find a similar cost to incompetence ratio in the NFL. And like Millen, he is literally a franchise destroyer. The worst part is that he doesn't have a modicum of humility and self awareness to acknowledge that he's completely out of his depth. At least Millen admitted it later in life.

Chip Kelly and Eagles trying a 60 yard field goal If your willing to give up the field position, just go for it on 4th and 1.

1 person likes this

Chip Kelly and Eagles trying a 60 yard field goal If your willing to give up the field position, just go for it on 4th and 1.

I wonder if either:

1. He misjudged where they were on the field.

2. He forgot about the rule that the opponent gets the ball at the spot of the kick, not at the line of scrimmage, after a missed FG.

I can't think of any other reason why he would have made that decision.

1 person likes this

John Fox giving the ball to Hillman with the game on the line. :shrug:

1 person likes this

It will be tough to top this.

1 person likes this

It will be tough to top this.

Bills fans don't agree

Woodhead running at the goal line.

You may have fooled a defense a couple weeks ago, but not again. Counting on the other team to guess wrong should not be your game plan. Put in somebody who can break a tackle.

2 people like this

That was truly boneheaded. Matthews looked very good the first half and hardly got any carries in the second half.

1 person likes this

Mike Smith still trying to run the ball in ATL. Hey stupid, you can't run. You just punish the offense with continual 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 9.

That was truly boneheaded. Matthews looked very good the first half and hardly got any carries in the second half.

I completely agree with both of these assessments. Not only did Matthews look great in the first quarter--but the reality is that the Chargers are a far better team when he does run well for an entire game---they are 6-1 when he goes for more than 100 yards. They abandoned Matthews waaaaaaaay to early in this game and I do believe it cost them big time. Matthews looked healthy to me--was running strong--and didn't seem to have any protection issues when it came to his qb or when it comes to protecting the ball. Mind numbing for them to seem to forget about him in the second half.

Wade Phillips, filling in as coach for Kubiak, just proved he should never be given another coaching opportunity in this league again.

I'm actually to flabbergasted to type it all up right now, but basically he just punted on 4th down with 2:02 left in the game while trailing after completely mismanaging the clock, such as taking the full clock to call a play before 3rd down and then punting while ensuring he wasted the two minute warning and only having 2 timeouts left.

Edited by GreenNGold
1 person likes this

This thread is for NFL coaches that do stupid stuff, feel free to start a stupid college coach thread anytime!

:pokey:

Edited by msudaisy26
2 people like this

Any out-route that Marvin Lewis has Andy Dalton throw.

Also totally agree with a couple weeks back, Denver not only running, but running Hillman. Queue up the Tecmo Bowl sound of "boink boink boink".

Wade Phillips, filling in as coach for Kubiak, just proved he should never be given another coaching opportunity in this league again.

I'm actually to flabbergasted to type it all up right now, but basically he just punted on 4th down with 2:02 left in the game while trailing after completely mismanaging the clock, such as taking the full clock to call a play before 3rd down and then punting while ensuring he wasted the two minute warning and only having 2 timeouts left.

I missed that part of the game because I was asleep on the couch attending to important business, but was Phillips calling the plays? I would imagine in that situation, he and the OC would each run their side of the ball.

Also, I know he has prior head-coaching experience, but I'm inclined to cut a guy some slack when he has to take over as HC midway through a game. Coordinators have very different in-game responsibilities, so it can't be easy to switch gears like that. When was the last time it even happened?