What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with (2 Viewers)

QB sneak? Yeah, that's why nobody else runs it. You gotta be in your 40's to safely pull that one off. It's not flukey like other injuries.

Carson Wentz and Tom Brady have done probably 100 qb sneaks combined this year. I havent seen Bill or Doug called out yet... Its like yelling at your kid for throwing the ball in the house only when he breaks the lamp. 

He converted for a 1st down, so....

fluke injury. QB sneaks aren’t usually that dangerous. This is the first time I can recall seeing a QB get hurt doing one. 
Ok ok... maybe I was reacting emotionally since I have Mahones in one league.

Ok ok... maybe I was reacting emotionally since I have Mahones in one league.
I get it - dynasty owner. Hurts to see a player go down like that regardless.

but I don’t blame the play call.

the Mahomes topic is filled with criticism of Reid for the play. I think that’s misguided. 

HOW THE #### DO YOU ICE THE KICKER WHEN THEYRE NOT EVEN ####### LINED UP WITH 6 SECONDS ON THE ####### PLAY CLOCK!!!

Patriots up 26-0 in the 4th qtr vs Jets.

They score a TD to go up 32-0 .... Book says go for 2 there and the kicked it.

BB ... what a moron

(I got nutin')

Patriots up 26-0 in the 4th qtr vs Jets.

They score a TD to go up 32-0 .... Book says go for 2 there and the kicked it.

BB ... what a moron

(I got nutin')
What about BB challenging that completed pass (for about 10 lousy yards) up 33 in the 4th Q?

I'm sure his reply would be along the lines of, we play the same regardless of the score, but c'mon man.  And he didn't even win the challenge.

What about BB challenging that completed pass (for about 10 lousy yards) up 33 in the 4th Q?

I'm sure his reply would be along the lines of, we play the same regardless of the score, but c'mon man.  And he didn't even win the challenge.
He was pissed that Gase declined the delay of game and false start penalties the drive immediately before. There was a lot of coach stuff going on at the end there that I think one could be privy to if one were dead set on watching the game qua game. 

What about benching the Greatest Qb of all time in the 4th quarter?!! Why would you ever sit him?!! BB a genius? NO WAY!!

He was pissed that Gase declined the delay of game and false start penalties the drive immediately before. There was a lot of coach stuff going on at the end there that I think one could be privy to if one were dead set on watching the game qua game. 
Not saying you're wrong but being pissed about that would be even stupider than the challenge.  Gase would be getting called out in this thread had he accepted those penalties.

"Sure Bill just put the ball wherever you'd like it, no problem."  :loco: :loco:

Not saying you're wrong but being pissed about that would be even stupider than the challenge.  Gase would be getting called out in this thread had he accepted those penalties.

"Sure Bill just put the ball wherever you'd like it, no problem."  :loco: :loco:
I think Bill genuinely was. They talked about it in the booth, and you could see his rueful smile. You could also read McDaniels's lips when the NYJ went to run their two-minute drill. "What are they doing?" he mouthed to Brady on the bench.

They wanted the Jets to take their whipping meekly, I think.

It was a weird dynamic. 

I don't think that BB was pissed ... BB was kind of smirking that Gase was "on to him" trying to give the punter more room.

... what made it amusing to Bill is that they ran the play clock down to zero (45 seconds) while the game clock was running...

then ran another 42 seconds off the game clock before the false start.

then ran another 44 seconds off the game clock for the punt.

So over 2 mins off the game clock for one 4th down play.

I don't think that BB was pissed ... BB was kind of smirking that Gase was "on to him" trying to give the punter more room.

... what made it amusing to Bill is that they ran the play clock down to zero (45 seconds) while the game clock was running...

This is also a good take, and is as likely as my explanation. But why challenge the play up 33 and about under two minutes remaining?

This is also a good take, and is as likely as my explanation. But why challenge the play up 33 and about under two minutes remaining?
BB Rule Bending Again

Penalty / Clock Chewing Rule Proposal

I believe the NFL did put into place a rule to prevent this after the Ravens ran the final 11 seconds off the game clock by the entire punt team, grabbing / holding / tackling, while the punter stood there holding the ball.

15 yard unsportsmanlike and reset of game clock now I believe.

... which is probably why BB didn't just keep giving penalties to be declined.

Refs should have actually utilized this rule after the false start (second penalty).

Last edited by a moderator:
BB is the man *tips cap, walks away into a frigid, nearly soulless night with the optimism only the exacting fundamentalist could imbue*

BB Rule Bending Again

Penalty / Clock Chewing Rule Proposal

I believe the NFL did put into place a rule to prevent this after the Ravens ran the final 11 seconds off the game clock by the entire punt team, grabbing / holding / tackling, while the punter stood there holding the ball.

15 yard unsportsmanlike and reset of game clock now I believe.

... which is probably why BB didn't just keep giving penalties to be declined.

Refs should have actually utilized this rule after the false start (second penalty).
I can guarantee you 90% of the coaches in the league would not have done what Belicheck did....because they are too stupid to know about it.

I can guarantee you 90% of the coaches in the league would not have done what Belicheck did....because they are too stupid to know about it.
And do it in such a way that it doesn't tip the competitive balance of a game or season. That's actually classy. 

Kinda makes me wonder why he didn't keep this trick in his back pocket until it could help him win a close game.
Nothing preventing any coach from doing this at any point. Loophole in the rules and it's been around a while.

Been used by other coaches in the past. Belichick isn't the first.

Would have been funny if Pats kept "false starting" and "delay of gaming" until the refs finally enforced the unsportsmanlike 15 yards ...

and after all that time was run off the game clock, BB would have gotten more room for his punter that Gase was trying to prevent.

What a kick to the minerals that would have been for Gase. Guarantee that is what was going thru Bills mind when he had that smirk on his face. 

If that were Mangini still on the Jets sideline, I guarantee Bill does that there. ... which is probably why coaches don't decline that penalty there. Except for Gase.

Steelers get a turnover on the Dolphins 30, up 10 points with 5:45 left.  First down, Conner runs for 4 yards.  He's been gashing them all night, he just picked up 4, so you would think you would just continue to run, use the clock, etc. right?  Incomplete pass on second down.  Pass to Conner for -5 on third down.

Yes I'm bitter because that -5 cost me a point and the win, but come on!

I hate these NFL coaches.  Seriously, they do half of Belichick's work for him.

Few from yesterday:

-Raiders call time out with the Lions scrambling to line up with 8 seconds left (Gruden didn't call the TO apparently).  Actually worked because of Lions play call after and them taking their two best offensive players out of the game.

-Lions get bailed out on Raiders time out.  They then return the favor by taking their two best players (Jones and Golladay) off the field, line up in a jumbo package, and throw to their 3rd string TE.  Play fake doesn't fake out anyone when you can't run the ball and when the strength of the Raider defense is stopping the run.  I'll take my chance with either of my tall, talented receivers vs throwing to the back-up TEs, backup. 

-Tampa Bay rushing to the line on 2nd down from the 1 and giving Seattle 45 seconds of clock left to get into field goal range.  Wilson against the Tampa defense is almost unfair.  Got them into easy field goal range with plenty of time to spare.  Myers missed but the point still stands.  Why hurry there? Let the clock go down to about 25 seconds.  Plenty of time with time outs left.

-Tampa Bay not going for 2 on the road to win the game.  Against the Seattle defense, I'll take my chances with one play from the two, rather than knowing if they lose the coin toss, they will never see the ball again.  All Seattle had to do was keep throwing the ball at Dean, and they couldn't be stopped.  Got to think one play from the two with Godwin and Evans against a less than stellar pass defense has a greater chance to succeed than winning the coin toss or scoring a TD if you do happen to win it.  

Jacksonville, 4th and 10 at the Houston 20, down by 16, 11:05 left. They go for it. Even if they make the first down (~30% chance) they'd still need two TDs and two 2-point conversions just to tie. If you kick the FG, you still need two TDs but now you don't need the 2-point conversions and you actually would win the game. Another example of the fallacy of a tie being equivalent to a win. 

Patriots entire offensive game plan was whack. Arrogant is a good word for it. They thought that despite literally every sports analyst saying the best way to beat the ravens was on the ground that they should go 90% no-huddle. And that’s despite being undefeated to that point by effectively running the ball & keeping their defense fresh. 

while they had some late success with that Mid-game, they also made a ton of uncharacteristic mental mistakes on 3rd downs, and tired out their own defense early with 3-and-outs. 

it was a terrible game plan. 

-Tampa Bay rushing to the line on 2nd down from the 1 and giving Seattle 45 seconds of clock left to get into field goal range. 

I’m in agreement with most of your post except this. 

they had to preserve clock in case the 2nd and 1 failed. 

it could have been suicide to kill all that clock & whiff.  Leaving Seattle 45 seconds just happened to work out that way. 

I’m in agreement with most of your post except this. 

they had to preserve clock in case the 2nd and 1 failed. 

it could have been suicide to kill all that clock & whiff.  Leaving Seattle 45 seconds just happened to work out that way. 
I was watching on red zone.  Thought the announcer said they had a time out left.

Even if not, they could have let it run down.  Even if they run it with 30 seconds left and don't make it, plenty of time to line up and run a pass play and make it or stop the clock with an in-completion.  Just seemed bad clock management

Tampa pass defense is horrible.  Seattle was just running simple crossing patterns and picking up huge chunks.  

I was watching on red zone.  Thought the announcer said they had a time out left.

Even if not, they could have let it run down.  Even if they run it with 30 seconds left and don't make it, plenty of time to line up and run a pass play and make it or stop the clock with an in-completion.  Just seemed bad clock management
This is the Bucs we’re talking abut though. They make enough mistakes that I understand keeping a little extra time handy.

Just about any other team I agree with you, though. 

This thread is made for the Browns
3rd & 3 at DEN 7

(6:07 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Hilliard up the middle to DEN 5 for 2 yards .

Yes 3rd & 3, you take your best RB out and put in the backup because you think you are being tricky and are fooling the D.

3rd & 3 at DEN 7

(6:07 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Hilliard up the middle to DEN 5 for 2 yards .

Yes 3rd & 3, you take your best RB out and put in the backup because you think you are being tricky and are fooling the D.
You shoulda heard him trying to explain why.  He said that play was drawn up for when Hilliard was in because they tried to trick them into thinking they wouldnt run.

They were stupid to not kick a FG to make it a 2 point game early 4th quarter.

Kitchens has been dreadful

Few from yesterday:

-Raiders call time out with the Lions scrambling to line up with 8 seconds left (Gruden didn't call the TO apparently).  Actually worked because of Lions play call after and them taking their two best offensive players out of the game.
Don't agree at all.  Raiders D was even more discombobulated as the Lions' O was.  DET was close to ready to snap it and OAK has enough trouble with blown coverages as is.  You don't give a guy like Stafford a free shot at your confused defense. 

I do hate DET's response, however.  No clue how you don't feed it to Golladay.

Don't agree at all.  Raiders D was even more discombobulated as the Lions' O was.  DET was close to ready to snap it and OAK has enough trouble with blown coverages as is.  You don't give a guy like Stafford a free shot at your confused defense. 

I do hate DET's response, however.  No clue how you don't feed it to Golladay.
Seemed the other way around to me and Gruden seemed irritated by the time out, which he apparently didn't call.  

I hate that jumbo package with everyone bunched in down by the goal line.  Especially for a team like Detroit that doesn't run the ball well and against a team that has a pretty good run defense.   

Patriots entire offensive game plan was whack. Arrogant is a good word for it. They thought that despite literally every sports analyst saying the best way to beat the ravens was on the ground that they should go 90% no-huddle. And that’s despite being undefeated to that point by effectively running the ball & keeping their defense fresh. 

while they had some late success with that Mid-game, they also made a ton of uncharacteristic mental mistakes on 3rd downs, and tired out their own defense early with 3-and-outs. 

it was a terrible game plan. 
I’ve seen you post this or something similar in a couple threads. The Patriots average 3.3 ypc which is 30th overall. They are in the bottom quarter of the league in rushing yards per game despite playing an array of terrible teams. The Ravens allow the second fewest rushing yards per game in the league. They aren’t as efficient from a ypc standpoint but still better on paper vs the run than the pass. And that’s with Cleveland dropping almost 200 on the ground one game (in which Brandon Williams was a late inactive) that looks a lot like an outlier. Granted there have been a couple big personnel changes- Peters added, Jimmy Smith returning.

Curious as to why “literally every sports analyst” thought running the ball would be the best option. Is it just the usual rah rah run the ball grind on the defense etc? Is it the additions in the secondary? I thought the Pats hurry up was pretty good at wearing out the D and they likely would have taken the lead against an exhausted defense if Edelman hadn’t fumbled.

Seemed the other way around to me and Gruden seemed irritated by the time out, which he apparently didn't call.  

I hate that jumbo package with everyone bunched in down by the goal line.  Especially for a team like Detroit that doesn't run the ball well and against a team that has a pretty good run defense.   
He may have been, but in the heat of the moment that's easy to do.  As the not-defensive coach, he'd be a lot less in tune to when his guys are flustered, are not getting lined up properly, are not communicating the right signals.  That's the DC's job - to make sure everything is on schedule and everyone's on the same page.  He saw they weren't and wanted to reset.  There's no way they would have been prepared for anything anywhere near tricky at that point, they weren't even getting every DB lined up on a receiver yet.

Freddie calls a TO with 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Bills had already run 20 seconds off the clock.  

looked to me from the time they lined up they had no intention of running a play.  

wtf??

Rams coach Sean McVay said inserting Blake Bortles into the Rams' Week 10 loss against the Steelers was "part of the game plan."

Jared Goff was thought to be injured when Bortles took a third quarter snap on third-and-short but McVay said that single carry was an attempt to "try to add a guy in the run game." It of course didn't work, causing the Rams to punt the ball down 14-7 in the second half. Goff was poor yet again behind the team's struggling pass-pro on Sunday but inserting Bortles on crucial conversions clearly isn't the answer. #RoadGoff at least gets a shot to redeem himself back at home against the Bears on Sunday night.

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Nov 11, 2019, 1:44 PM ET

Rams’ Sean McVay says pulling Jared Goff for Blake Bortles was part of game plan

Excerpt:

As a result, Bortles came onto the field to replace the seemingly injured Goff while things did not go particularly well. Not only did he appear to be surprised by a shotgun snap that hit him in the chest, but Bortles then attempted to fake a handoff to running back Todd Gurley before rushing for a mere one yard.

It is safe to say that this would be considered to be an odd gameplan…

Colts spent the entire night setting up the Texans for play action on early downs and didn't pull the trigger once that I remember. They ran the ball very well but they should have (tried to) capitalize on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread