What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with (3 Viewers)

CalBear said:
lod01 said:
Back to Wade Phillips. not sure if the coaching staff made the call or the QB did it on his own but its the final drive and they need a FG to tie. It's 3rd & 3 at the HOU 35. They have 2 downs to get the 1st and keep the drive going but instead of securing the 1st down they throw a deep out to Andre. Then of course they fail on 4th down.

Who sends Andre deep when you need 3 yards to get the 1st down? 2-6 teams.
I disagree. You need a FG to tie, sure. You need more than that to win. Tying gives you a 50% chance to win, a TD gives you a 90% chance (or more depending on how much time you leave on the clock). Going deep when the defense is expecting a short play could be a winner.
You need a first down to keep the drive alive to either kick a field goal or throw/run for a TD. I can garauntee without the ball you are not going to score or tie/win.

3rd & 1, Tampa trying to run out the clock. Bucs OC Mike Sullivan calls a rollout to the left for RIGHT-HANDED, gangly, 8-foot tall Mike Glennon, who proceeds to lose yardage AND run out of bounds, stopping the clock.

Mind-numbing.
When they'd been running it down the Phins' throats for the past two drives for like 6 YPC.

I was up by 0.96 vs an opponent starting the MIA D and lost by 0.04 because that counted as a sack. I know, nobody cares, but it's way more frustrating when you lose because the coach/team does something that is clearly and obviously against their own best interest.

CalBear said:
lod01 said:
Back to Wade Phillips. not sure if the coaching staff made the call or the QB did it on his own but its the final drive and they need a FG to tie. It's 3rd & 3 at the HOU 35. They have 2 downs to get the 1st and keep the drive going but instead of securing the 1st down they throw a deep out to Andre. Then of course they fail on 4th down.

Who sends Andre deep when you need 3 yards to get the 1st down? 2-6 teams.
I disagree. You need a FG to tie, sure. You need more than that to win. Tying gives you a 50% chance to win, a TD gives you a 90% chance (or more depending on how much time you leave on the clock). Going deep when the defense is expecting a short play could be a winner.
You need a first down to keep the drive alive to either kick a field goal or throw/run for a TD. I can garauntee without the ball you are not going to score or tie/win.
You still have another chance to pick up the first down if you don't complete the long pass. I can guarantee that you're not going to get in the end zone three yards at a time.

Kind of bummed that Tennessee scored the TD there down 10. Was looking forward to them kicking a FG on 4th and goal, generating another three pages of debate in this thread.

Mike McCarthy just kicked an extra point while down 2 points (28-26) in the 4th Quarter instead of going for two, making the score 28-27. That should be a firable offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was bad but with these defenses i dont think its horrible
It was horrible. No way to defend that, none, zero, inexcusable. And the score is still 28-27 now with only 4 minutes left, who knows how it will end up. I don't understand how bad defense could possibly be an argument, even if they start trading touchdowns, Green Bay would still need a 2 point conversion.

I thought it was pretty dumb when they went for the PAT when 2 would've tied it earlier in the game... that second one was inexcusable. Challenging that Quarless catch was pretty dumb too.

Trestman not challenging the Alshon nontd, instead calling a timeout was dubious. I'm sure they coulda used that timeout at the end of the game had they won that challenge, which they probably would have.

It didn't matter, but leading by 10 with around 5 minutes left, the Bengals kept hiking the ball with 10-15 seconds on the play clock. Stupid!!!!! When you are trying to kill time and preserve a win, you run it down to 1 or 2 every time before hiking the ball. That is something that should be coached. It's called situational football. It's amazing how many teams are poor at it.

I thought Pagano basically gave up in the fourth quarter when the Colts were down by three scores and punted. I understand that they were on their own side of the field, but I believe that was their only shot a making a comeback.

I thought Pagano basically gave up in the fourth quarter when the Colts were down by three scores and punted. I understand that they were on their own side of the field, but I believe that was their only shot a making a comeback.
Wasn't that right after the 3rd-and-1 play where a pass was called? 2 consecutive bad calls there which seemed like giving up on the run and then giving up on the game.

I can't help but notice how backup RBs keep coming in and excelling and surpassing what the prior starting backs were doing:

• Hillman over Ball
  • Vereen over Ridley
  • Brandon Oliver over Don Brown
  • Forsett over Pierce
All four only got in because of injury/suspension.

Steven Jackson touched the ball 9 times Sunday, Antone Smith 5.

The season long stupidity coming out of Atlanta continues.

Paging Sean Payton.
Sean Payton could fill this entire page 4 up after that one...
Payton has gotten a rep as a brilliant playcaller, deservedly given what the Saints have had before, over the years.

But. He is starting to have a real addict's problem with throwing late in games when he should be running and when the run game is working. Throw in some bizarre pass play calls instead of nice safe steady screens and short routes and there's trouble brewing. Hopefully he gets over this, but the Pats, Jets, Seahawks, Browns and now the Lions road games over the last two years could rightfully be brought to his doorstep.

Yep, Antone Smith might have to wait for SJax, Quizz and Freeman all getting hurt before he gets a full carry load.

Also, Bryce Brown now finally getting his shot but only after Fred and Spiller both get hurt in the same game.

I can't help but notice how backup RBs keep coming in and excelling and surpassing what the prior starting backs were doing:

• Hillman over Ball
  • Vereen over Ridley
  • Forsett over Pierce
yea that is pretty interesting I must say myself.... U would think they could see these things in practice?

T with T said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

• Hillman over Ball
  • Vereen over Ridley
  • Forsett over Pierce
yea that is pretty interesting I must say myself.... U would think they could see these things in practice?
I think it speaks more to just how grueling this game is. These backups come in fresh after the rest of the league has taken a pounding for two months and they have less resistance.

Ladsud said:

Yeah. pretty silly to give SJAX 9 carries at this point. Wasteful. Let's just move on.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

• Hillman over Ball
  • Vereen over Ridley
  • Forsett over Pierce
One of these things is not like the other ...

Ridley had two 100-yard games this year. In his first game as the starter, Vereen had 40 yards rushing against the Jets. Yes, he had a great game as a receiver, but he was supposed to be the receiving back all along. Also, most of his receiving yards came on a play with busted coverage.

None of this is to disparage Vereen (I own him on one of my teams, and was plenty psyched at his output this week). The point is that he doesn't fit the OP's example of a backup who shone once an ineffective starter went down. He wasn't a backup, the starter hadn't been ineffective, and while he had a good game, it wasn't due to volume like with the other guys.

But as long as we're criticizing coaching decisions, how about the fact that it took BB this long to get Vereen really involved in the passing game?

SaintsInDome2006 said:

• Hillman over Ball
  • Vereen over Ridley
  • Forsett over Pierce
One of these things is not like the other ...

Ridley had two 100-yard games this year. In his first game as the starter, Vereen had 40 yards rushing against the Jets. Yes, he had a great game as a receiver, but he was supposed to be the receiving back all along. Also, most of his receiving yards came on a play with busted coverage.

None of this is to disparage Vereen (I own him on one of my teams, and was plenty psyched at his output this week). The point is that he doesn't fit the OP's example of a backup who shone once an ineffective starter went down. He wasn't a backup, the starter hadn't been ineffective, and while he had a good game, it wasn't due to volume like with the other guys.

But as long as we're criticizing coaching decisions, how about the fact that it took BB this long to get Vereen really involved in the passing game?
I didn't expound on the names, but I agree with your comments. The main point is Vereen was an afterthought.... until he wasn't because he was suddenly in the game almost because circumstances forced him to be.

Ladsud said:

Multi-season long. On a positive note, the one thing I haven't seen this year is their beloved power I-formation at the 50 yard line on 2nd and 8.

Not that it was stupid but the short passes to Gio Bernard in the flat ended up with Gio wearing his ### for a hat. I was surprised that he not only got up from these brutal hits but was able to keep playing.

Titans had 3 passes to WRs in second half.

5 if you count-

a pass that didn't even make the LOS as Whitehurst was hit hard by a DB as he threw that was somehow credited with a target for Wright

McCluster lined up wide and got a pass

bombjack said:
Why did Barnwell stop doing "Thank you for not coaching" this year?
He's never explained, but he keeps retweeting people asking him about it, and he hinted on one of his podcasts that "The Establishment" is preventing him from continuing it.

ETA: Here's the relevant podcast. Can't remember at what point he talks about TYFNC. And remember, this was when Bill Simmons' suspension was still going on, and Barnwell was very much Team Simmons (refused to tweet the entire three weeks). Clearly there are some internal politics that we're not fully privy to.

How about the Steelers coaching staff? Up 2 touchdowns, with a back like Bell and they are throwing the ball. It almost let the Texans back in the game.

Calling a timeout to think about challenging with both challenges left should automatically get you posted in this thread.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

• Hillman over Ball
  • Vereen over Ridley
  • Forsett over Pierce
Maybe because the prior starters had solid backups pushing them for playing time?

4th Quarter:

4th and 3 at STL 18(2:55) (Punt formation) J.Hekker pass short left to B.Cunningham to SL 36 for 18 yards (D.Shead).
Obviously this was brilliant, right?
If they had simply gone for it on 4th-and-3, Fisher would have been crucified. But because they tried a fake punt (and because it worked), Fisher is celebrated.

But it does seem like a mathematically stupid move.

Browns up 6-0 with like 2-3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter at about the 25 yard line of Jacksonville, 4th and 1, and they go for it rather than going up 9-0.

The decision magnified becuase the offense had been absolutely HORRIBLE to that point both running and passing. Needless to say, they dont get it, and the Jags take that momentum down to score a TD and go into halftime up 7-6.

Oh, and then later on (I am sure this has been all over sportscenter), they had a 4th down and were going to try and bait the Jags into jumping offsides, and the center snaps the ball when he wasnt supposed to. I totally blame the coaches. For one, it was a center who has never played center at any level of football in a real game until last week when Alex Mack got hurt. And it was just plain stupid.

As bad as the Browns played, without those two idiocies, pretty sure we win.

I just watched condensed ver of that game. Coaching was so painful to watch. Cleveland should have won that game. Now media already blaming hoyer... bad move. That muffed punt was brutal too. Bad decision putting in that guy. Should a never tried to catch at the two. Doh

I just watched condensed ver of that game. Coaching was so painful to watch. Cleveland should have won that game. Now media already blaming hoyer... bad move. That muffed punt was brutal too. Bad decision putting in that guy. Should a never tried to catch at the two. Doh
That was the worst punt return attempt of all time. I dare someone to find a worse overall attempt combining both looks and situation.

Dude backpeddals like 8-9 yards to the 1 yard line (obvious NO NO), then the ball bounces off his face. So horrific.

I can see why a lot of the blame for that game goes on Hoyer though. He was absolutely dreadful. Missing a gimmee wide open TD to Cameron was just the beginning of it.

But yeah, we have a center who never played center before snapping the ball on 4th down when we werent supposed to run a play, and a 1st time punt returner fielding punts off his face at the 1 yard line in the 4th quarter.

Impossible not to blame coaching for the loss first and foremost, then Hoyer, then run D. But really, overall, the D didnt really give up many points. Couple short fields led to half of those.

Maybe one of the worst team/Coaching performances I have ever seen here in Cleveland, and that is saying something.

For the Steelers I'd say drafting Dri Archer in the 3rd round. Not sure if that counts as coaching but someone needs to be called out.

And for allowing Allen to play/almost cost us the game. He repeatedly gets burned... there's got to be a better/new option.

Browns up 6-0 with like 2-3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter at about the 25 yard line of Jacksonville, 4th and 1, and they go for it rather than going up 9-0.

The decision magnified becuase the offense had been absolutely HORRIBLE to that point both running and passing. Needless to say, they dont get it, and the Jags take that momentum down to score a TD and go into halftime up 7-6.

Oh, and then later on (I am sure this has been all over sportscenter), they had a 4th down and were going to try and bait the Jags into jumping offsides, and the center snaps the ball when he wasnt supposed to. I totally blame the coaches. For one, it was a center who has never played center at any level of football in a real game until last week when Alex Mack got hurt. And it was just plain stupid.

As bad as the Browns played, without those two idiocies, pretty sure we win.
the first one was obv the right call.

Yagottalove how a guy like Murray does more in two runs than the Raiders RBs can muster all year in terms of quality.

1 run for Murray for 6 yards... and 3 for Mac for 6 ... then TD Murray from the 11. Against a team that hasn't allowed a rushing TD all year.

What the hell are coaches doing all year?

The next 6 pages of this thread are reserved for Andy Reid's play calling during last nights Raider v Chiefs game.

Resuscitating this thread for yesterday's Bears-Lions game, which featured ridiculously dumb calls by both coaches that ultimately became irrelevant.

First, Chicago scores with 12 minutes left in the game to make it 24-22, and Fox goes for one. He gets bailed out when Detroit quickly turns the ball over and Chicago scores again, this time going for two (and getting it).

Now it's 31-24. Lions drive down the field and have a 4th and 4 from the 15. Caldwell sends in the FG unit. Even the announcers, who are usually all "Ya gotta take the points here," are questioning this decision. But then Caldwell also gets bailed out when Detroit gets a quick stop, drives down the field and scores a go-ahead TD with 21 seconds left. And the announcers were like, "Well, I guess Caldwell was right after all."

NO! A positive outcome does not make it the right decision. Both were clearly sub-optimal (the win probability chart bears this out. too. Going for one knocked 7% of the Bears' chances, and kicking the FG took 5% away from the Lions).

Only Detroit can screw themselves over by winning. This terd was possibly removed if they lose.

Resuscitating this thread for yesterday's Bears-Lions game, which featured ridiculously dumb calls by both coaches that ultimately became irrelevant.

First, Chicago scores with 12 minutes left in the game to make it 24-22, and Fox goes for one. He gets bailed out when Detroit quickly turns the ball over and Chicago scores again, this time going for two (and getting it).

Now it's 31-24. Lions drive down the field and have a 4th and 4 from the 15. Caldwell sends in the FG unit. Even the announcers, who are usually all "Ya gotta take the points here," are questioning this decision. But then Caldwell also gets bailed out when Detroit gets a quick stop, drives down the field and scores a go-ahead TD with 21 seconds left. And the announcers were like, "Well, I guess Caldwell was right after all."

NO! A positive outcome does not make it the right decision. Both were clearly sub-optimal (the win probability chart bears this out. too. Going for one knocked 7% of the Bears' chances, and kicking the FG took 5% away from the Lions).
Dont forget Fox not calling timeout. When detroit had it first and goal with like 1:50 left.

Users who are viewing this thread