What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carlos Dunlap (1 Viewer)

Hoss Style

Footballguy
He doesn't have his own post and I think he deserves one. He's near the top of my league in scoring but he's not relied on one BIG game to get there (like Osi's game with a INT return for a TD). I've held him in my Keeper League past years and he's finally paying off.

I don't get to watch all the games like I used to, so I'm looking for any input from homers (or a FBG IDP guy) on why this guy shouldn't be in the "Elite" tier of DLs. I read a recent FBG article where they said you can't depend on any Cinci DLs because of their rotation, but look at Dunlap's stats so far - consistancy in spades:

• Week 1: 2 TK, 1 ATk, 1 PD
  • Week 2: TK, ATk, 0.5 Sack
  • Week 3: 6 TK, 1 ATk, 1 Sack, 2 PD
  • Week 4: 3 TK, 1 ATk, 1.5 Sacks, 1 blocked FG
  • Week 5: 4 TK, 1 ATk, 1 FF
  • Week 6: 5 TK, 1 Sack, 1 FF
Those of us in IDP know it doesn't get much more consistant then that for a DL. And he's making big plays. Like I said, I don't get to see his games anymore. He's got to be in Jene's next "Elite" tier, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
He absolutely should be. He's put up elite/near elite "per snap" numbers for a couple seasons prior to this, he just didn't get the reps he deserved(or was banged up). He's getting them now and cashing in.

My biggest gripe from all my teams this year is missing out on him in my biggest money IDP league by a single pick. *sad panda* :(

An impatient owner dropped him in week 2 in my 12 team keeper start 4 DL league. Now he is the top scoring DL. He is elite because he is now playing almost all the snaps. He does deserve more respect.

Had him and Derrick Morgan as the two most likely to jump from the DL2 to Elite DL1 tier this season. Really glad I rostered him.

Had him last year as well, and as was mentioned previously, after recovering from his early season injury woes he put up DL1 numbers the second half of the season even in a rotational role.

Yes, he absolutely is an elite DL. In previous years, despite typically ending up with good sack numbers, his upside was tempered by lower snap counts. He is now finally getting more snaps (like he ultimately should have been getting all along imo) and should continue to dominate barring injury (lets hope the nagging injuries stay in the past).

1st round talent that went in the 2nd because of a reputation for laziness and a DUI the week of the SEC-CG. Marvin and the Bengals get the most out of another talented player with issues.

I looked at Larry's great post about playing time,and it showed Dunlap was back up to 90 (something) percent of plays played. While he only had 2 tackles last week he still had a FF. Week 8 he only had one ATK, but I think Larry's post showed he didn't play as much as normal. Week 7 he still had a good line with 3 TK, 2 ATK and a (another) Blocked FG. So really only one clunker in 9 weeks so far.

I haven't been able to watch him personally the last few weeks, but this is the life of having DLs in Fantasy Football - ups and downs. Dunlap's only had one real down week, though.

I remember reading something from Bramel saying that he thought Dunlap might slow a bit the second half, but at the pace Dunlap was going I'm not sure that was a tough call. If he's on the field I believe he'll make plays - maybe just not at the clip during the first half of the season. Buy maybe he will, who knows?

Slowed down a lot the last three weeks. Any reason for concern or just normal DE variance?
I think it is more normal DE variance. He has looked fine out there.

It is a good thing that he is not just sack dependent. He has forced some fumbles, blocked 2 kicks, and has 3 PD.

It is also a good sign that he is on pace for 45+ solo tackles.

I will take a 45+ solo, 8-9 sack type season with a handful of other big plays (FF/PD/Stuffs) thrown in.

Normal variance but Atkins going down probably isn't going to help. Sitting him this week for Adrian Clayborn, who hopefully can do something against MIAs 3 man OL...

The guy has been a stud this season. Given typical variance for defensive linemen, If he only has 2-3 down weeks, that's a helluva year.

Any other expectation is unrealistic...

Hasn't been a great start for Dunlap so far, so I watched the last game against Pittsburgh.  He looked fine.

He's been active this year with 7Tk, 3Atk and 3Pd, but no sacks yet.  7 Tk is still tied for 2nd among all DLs (there are 5 tied), but I wanted to see how he looked with QB pressure.  He had 3 times last game where he literally had Roethlisberger's jersey in his hand but Ben escaped, and one more time where he pressured him in the pocket.

Just a quick update for any other owners who were wondering, like I was, on how he looked. 

Hasn't been a great start for Dunlap so far, so I watched the last game against Pittsburgh.  He looked fine.

He's been active this year with 7Tk, 3Atk and 3Pd, but no sacks yet.  7 Tk is still tied for 2nd among all DLs (there are 5 tied), but I wanted to see how he looked with QB pressure.  He had 3 times last game where he literally had Roethlisberger's jersey in his hand but Ben escaped, and one more time where he pressured him in the pocket.

Just a quick update for any other owners who were wondering, like I was, on how he looked. 
The sacks will come.  I think he has been really good as 7 tackles for a DE through 2 games is really nice.  If he keeps those tackle numbers and gets to double digit sacks (as he should) he will be an easy top 10 DL this year.

So my league's host site is crediting Dunlap with 2 sacks, a forced fumble, but only 1 TFL. 

I know it's possible to get a sack and not get a TFL (you can get a sack at the line of scrimmage, for a loss of 0), but both of Dunlap's sacks were well behind the LOS. Is it because he stripped the ball loose and forced a fumble? Does he not get credited with a TFL on that?

Looking for clarity and it's not easy to find definitions/explanations for this sort of thing. 

I think a sack already "includes" a tackle for a loss.  Most scoring systems don't award both sack pts and tackle pts for a sack...they treat the sack as a unique play.

I think a sack already "includes" a tackle for a loss.  Most scoring systems don't award both sack pts and tackle pts for a sack...they treat the sack as a unique play.
I wouldn't necessarily say that.  If you gets points for a sack and points for a tackle in your league when one of your players gets a sack he also gets a tackle so you get points for both....at least every league I have been in awards it this way.

As far as the strip sack and whether that counts as a tackle for loss I do not know how that is officially scored. 

Users who are viewing this thread