What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior Marcus Mariota has the "size, speed and passing ability" to earn comparisons to 49ers' QB Colin Kaepernick, writes CBS Sports analyst Rob Rang.
Mariota enters this year as Rang's top-rated pro prospect. "He's overly reliant (at this point) on his first read, occasionally commits the cardinal sin of throwing late across his body and wasn't a year ago when injury sapped him off his maneuverability and he was forced to throw from the pocket," Rang wrote. "These are coachable skills and given that Mariota is often lauded for his intelligence, humility and work ethic, scouts expect growth in these areas in 2014. Mariota has a quick release and flashes deadly accuracy, including when on the move. He has a very strong arm and isn't afraid to make challenging throws through tight windows." The RS junior has posted a 63/10 TD/INT rate, a 65.8 percent completion rate and 1,467 rushing yards over the past two years.

Source: CBS Sports

Scout Inc.'s Kevin Weidl noted that Oregon redshirt junior Marcus Mariota "significantly improved [his] mechanics, balance and velocity," from 2012 to 2013.
Mariota's athleticism in the pocket and as a runner was apparent from the very beginning, but the most impressive aspect of his game in 2013 was the continued evolution of his throwing. "While he'll still vacate a clean pocket at times, Mariota showed better patience and was more consistent getting to his third and fourth options," Weidl wrote. Mariota is an early favorite to go No. 1 in the 2015 draft.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Phil Steele named Oregon redshirt junior Marcus Mariota the No. 1 preseason Heisman contender.

Steele ranked him one slot above defending Heisman winner Jameis Winston of Florida State. "Mariota became the first Oregon quarterback to top 4,000 yards of total offense (4,380) while accounting for 40 total touchdowns and just four interceptions," Steele wrote of the QB's 2013 campaign. "He accomplished this despite wearing a knee brace for much of the second half of the season, which limited his mobility. With added rest for the bowl game against Texas, he ran for a season-high 133 yards. Now 100 percent healthy, he has a solid shot to top last year's remarkable statistical totals while leading a Ducks team that figures to play a huge role in the first College Football Playoff." Mariota is an early favorite to go No. 1 in the 2015 draft.

Source: ESPN Insider

Rotoworld:

Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks

Oregon HC Mark Helfrich praised redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's practice habits.

"He cares more about practice rep 13, period 12 than any guy I've been around," Helfrich said. Mariota has been described as a quiet leader in the past, but he really is the face of Oregon football at the moment. The quarterback is a great talent and enters the season as 2014/2015's top prospect. Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman notes Mariota added 40 pounds and clocks around a 4.45 forty.

Source: Bruce Feldman on Twitter

Jul 24 - 9:52 AM

Rotoworld:

Grantland's Robert Mays believes Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "needs to show improvement as a dropback passer."
When discussing the decision teams will have between Mariota and Jameis Winston, Mays writes "it really depends on what you’re looking for... Mariota is a dual threat, closer to Colin Kaepernick — less polished, but possibly more terrifying." In the past, Oregon quarterbacks have been runners first and lacked awareness in the pocket. We think pocket patience and poise are the most underappreciated aspects to Mariota's game. He wins inside and outside of the pocket.

Source: Grantland

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks wrote that Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "looked like a franchise quarterback directing the Ducks' fast-paced offense" on Saturday against Michigan State.

"He teased and tormented Spartans defenders with his explosive run-pass skills, yet looked composed and poised within the pocket," Brooks wrote. "This represents tremendous progress for a young quarterback who exhibited some jitters when confined to the pocket a season ago." You know that Mariota's performance -- 17-of-28 attempts for 318 yards and three touchdowns -- was vital to his draft stock. Brooks explains why: "When I started my career as a scout in 2000 with the Seattle Seahawks, I was advised by my college scouting director (Scot McCloughan, former San Francisco 49ers' general manager) to always watch blue-chip prospects play against elite competition. He told me that the true measure of a player's pro potential is revealed in those games because the intensity and talent resembles the competition that a player will face in the NFL."

Source: NFL.com

Sep 9 - 7:20 PM

I love Mariota, but his passing game looks like simple reads and the result of good play design. Yes he gets the ball there accurately, but it seems like half his TDs are hitting guys with literally no one covering them. His record vs Stanford alarms me too. Yes it's a team game, but Stanford is considered a pro style team, especially on defense and he hasn't had the same type of success vs them. I see him definitely comparable to Kaep with better throwing mechanics and a better head on his shoulders. That just might be enough!

I love Mariota, but his passing game looks like simple reads and the result of good play design. Yes he gets the ball there accurately, but it seems like half his TDs are hitting guys with literally no one covering them. His record vs Stanford alarms me too. Yes it's a team game, but Stanford is considered a pro style team, especially on defense and he hasn't had the same type of success vs them. I see him definitely comparable to Kaep with better throwing mechanics and a better head on his shoulders. That just might be enough!
His running ability is like Kaep, but not his throwing ability. He's got better touch than Kaep, but not the same level of arm talent. Hundley's arm is more like Kaepernick's.

God, I hope you mean the MSU ones.

Mariota is just another system QB who locks onto his first receiver, and shows no ability to make decisions at the LOS or after the snap. I see nothing that suggests successful transition to the pros.

He and Winston are going to bust a couple franchises.

Wouldn't be surprised to see either or both drop "surprisingly" in the draft, though. They're exactly the guys the Kiper-esque talking head pseudoscouts love, but real team-based scouts dismiss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Pro Football Focus tabbed redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota with Oregon's top offensive grade in their week two matchup against Michigan State.

In fact, Mariota was the only Oregon player who received a very positive grade, in this case of a 2.6. We should note, These grades are an opinion and an evaluation, but PFF does a great job of watching every play. Of the 2.6 grade, 1.2 was in the passing passing game and 1.3 as a runner. What is noteworthy is PFF only tabbed Mariota with two runs in the whole game. As our own Josh Norris has said, Mariota does not receive enough credit for how comfortable he is in the pocket and he uses athleticism as a passer, not just a runner.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Rotoworld:

Fox Sports' Stewart Mandel notes that with Georgia's Todd Gurley in exile, Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "is the best player in college football, and it’s not even close."

"I don’t know what will happen the rest of the way, but as of today, with Todd Gurley in exile, Mariota is the best player in college football, and it’s not even close. The Oregon quarterback lost his top four receivers from last season and has played behind a patchwork offensive line that’s allowed nearly as many sacks (15) as it did all of last year (18). And yet, he’s the nation’s top-rated passer," Mandel wrote. Mandel added that "in the playoff era," the 6-foot-4, 225-pound dual-threat "needs to beat the Cardinal this year" in order to win the Heisman.

Source: Fox Sports
Oct 15 - 2:28 PM

Rotoworld:

A general manager for an AFC team said Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota displays similar traits to 49ers' star Colin Kaepernick.

"Although the GM noted that Mariota has a noticeably weaker arm than Kaepernick, he doesn't believe his arm talent will be an issue as a pro, saying that his overall athleticism and physical tools make him a possible franchise quarterback," NFL.com added. Mariota has been compared to Kaepernick throughout the process by analysts, scouts and executives. NFL.com's draft team of Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks and Charles Davis added that they've also heard comparisons to Johnny Manziel and RGIII. "The jury is definitely still very much out on Mariota and whether he can become a franchise-type quarterback at the next level," the trio wrote.

Source: NFL.com
Oct 23 - 6:55 PM
Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "arguably has done his best work this season with heat in his face," according to Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke.

"Well, aside from being sacked a combined 12 times by Washington State and Arizona -- the direct result of Oregon's line dealing with injuries -- Mariota arguably has done his best work this season with heat in his face," Burke writes. Most recently, the 6-foot-4, 225-pound dual-threat completed 24-of-33 attempts for 336 yards and two touchdowns in Saturday's 45-20 victory over Washington. Burke adds that Mariota "has improved in keeping his eyes downfield and in taking short, safe passes rather than forcing throws."

Oct 21 - 3:52 PM

Source: Sports Illustrated

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota completed 18 of 30 attempts for 326 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in the school's 59-41 win over Cal.

It was Mariota's first interception of the season, but that certainly did not negatively mask a great performance. Mariota made big boy throws downfield, including multiple passes that resulted in over 20 yards. He was limited to 36 rushing yards and used his mobility for passing success rather than running. Oregon faces Stanford next week.

Oct 25 - 10:17 AM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports Dane Brugler notes that, while Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's "talent is No. 1 overall pick worthy," he "certainly has the statistical resume to back it up as well."
Against California on Friday night, the Ducks prospect threw his first interception of the year on a tipped pass. Mariota's career TD-to-INT ratio is currently at 87-to-11. The 6-foot-4, 219-pound Mariota, also has 25 career fumbles on his resume and has lost 10 fumbles, while adding 19 rushing TDs on the ground.

Oct 28 - 4:08 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler said that while Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota is his favorite QB in the 2015 draft class, he's not the "can't miss prospect" that some have proclaimed him to be.
Brugler called Mariota's physical tools and numbers mesmerizing (Mariota's thrown for 24 touchdowns and just one interception while completing 68% of his passes), saying that they "dazzle scouts." Despite the high praise, Brugler pointed out that Mariota still isn't a perfect passer, calling him "good--not great." Mariota has also benefited from a college system designed to get him numbers. "Oregon's speed and scheme complicate Mariota's projection to the NFL as he won't see wide-open passing lanes at the next level," wrote Brugler. Still, Brugler and most draft experts believe Mariota has made the necessary progressions to succeed in the NFL.

Oct 30 - 4:36 PM

Not gonna lie, I think he's awesome.

He's not an Andrew Luck level prospect (who is), but I think he'll carry a higher grade than any of the other first-taken QBs in the past five years and will project similarly to RG3.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler said that while Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota is his favorite QB in the 2015 draft class, he's not the "can't miss prospect" that some have proclaimed him to be.
Brugler called Mariota's physical tools and numbers mesmerizing (Mariota's thrown for 24 touchdowns and just one interception while completing 68% of his passes), saying that they "dazzle scouts." Despite the high praise, Brugler pointed out that Mariota still isn't a perfect passer, calling him "good--not great." Mariota has also benefited from a college system designed to get him numbers. "Oregon's speed and scheme complicate Mariota's projection to the NFL as he won't see wide-open passing lanes at the next level," wrote Brugler. Still, Brugler and most draft experts believe Mariota has made the necessary progressions to succeed in the NFL.

Definitely some truth to this, IMO. I'm not gonna say he's Tebow because that would be excessively critical, but I don't think he's Luck either.

College football is relatively easy compared with the NFL. A good scheme and good supporting talent can really inflate a QB's production.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Definitely some truth to this, IMO. I'm not gonna say he's Tebow because that would be excessively critical, but I don't think he's Luck either.

College football is relatively easy compared with the NFL. A good scheme and good supporting talent can really inflate a QB's production.
He's Vince Young.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

He's Vince Young.
Thanks for the laugh.

But, no.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Rob Rang praised Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's performance on Saturday against Stanford, but wrote that it wouldn't change his mind about dropping the signal-caller from No. 1 to No. 3 on his Big Board last week.

"It [won't] magically erase the concerns scouts have about Mariota's ability to transfer his talents to a more traditional pro-style offense," Rang wrote. "The passing windows he'll see in the NFL will be much smaller and the physicality that Stanford had traditionally beaten Oregon with will be brought by every defense he'll see at the next level." Mariota went 19-of-30 for 258 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in a 45-16 win, which improved his record to 1-2 against Stanford. "Contrary to the hyperbole of the FOX broadcasting crew, however, Mariota was far from perfect in this contest," the analyst wrote. "He missed open receivers on multiple occasions." Mariota added 85 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. "It is Mariota's ability to run that makes him special," Rang wrote. "He showed off his rare acceleration early in this contest."

Nov 2 - 2:57 PM

Is he not accurate?

I get that the passing windows won't be as wide open in the pros. Umm, can't we say that about every college QB. Ever?

Rotoworld:

He's Vince Young.
Thanks for the laugh.

But, no.
I probably wouldn't go that far but call me unimpressed with Mariota.

Is he not accurate?

I get that the passing windows won't be as wide open in the pros. Umm, can't we say that about every college QB. Ever?
He's thrown 12 interceptions, total, in the last three seasons. I don't know how anyone can say he's not accurate.

Is he not accurate?

He's thrown 12 interceptions, total, in the last three seasons. I don't know how anyone can say he's not accurate.
Because they've watched him play. Stats don't tell the whole story.
I live in Oregon and have watched almost every game he's played for Ducks. He's very accurate, doesn't rely heavily on the run and has improved his ball security over the years.

Rotoworld:

Oregon OC Scott Frost praised redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's intelligence.
"He's freakishly smart, especially when it comes to football," Frost told ESPN.com. "He sees things and processes things so quickly that he just doesn't make a ton of mistakes." Mariota has thrown 12 interceptions compared to 89 touchdowns during his career. The more concerning number might be fumbles, as ball security has been a troublesome spot for the Oregon quarterback over the last few years.

Source: ESPN
Nov 4 - 11:28 AM

Users who are viewing this thread