Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Marcus Mariota, Titans

Is he not accurate?

I get that the passing windows won't be as wide open in the pros. Umm, can't we say that about every college QB. Ever?

He's thrown 12 interceptions, total, in the last three seasons. I don't know how anyone can say he's not accurate.

Tebow threw 16 interceptions in his entire college career. Interceptions don't have much indication on accuracy at all.

I do think he is accurate, but not exactly the best evidence here.

Is he not accurate?

I get that the passing windows won't be as wide open in the pros. Umm, can't we say that about every college QB. Ever?

He's thrown 12 interceptions, total, in the last three seasons. I don't know how anyone can say he's not accurate.

Tebow threw 16 interceptions in his entire college career. Interceptions don't have much indication on accuracy at all.

I do think he is accurate, but not exactly the best evidence here.

It's not the only factor but combine career 66.4% completions, 89 TD's to 12 INT's, 10.4 AY/A, 6.9 YPR and you have solid evidence he's a good QB.

ETA: Luck's numbers - 67.0% completions, 82 TD's to 22 INT's, 9.5 AY/A, 5.9 YPR

Edited by cstu

Rotoworld:

NFL analyst Greg Cosell said on the Midday 180 radio program that he "wasn't that impressed" by Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota versus Stanford.

Cosell's specific complaint after watching the game against Stanford was that Mariota "doesn't throw that well." This is something we've heard before. Several days ago, CBS Sports' Rob Rang broke down the game by saying that Mariota "wasn't perfect" and that the quarterback missed multiple open receivers. "The passing windows he'll see in the NFL are much smaller," wrote Rang. While these whispers about Mariota are bound to continue to float around, Mariota is a special physical talent and it would probably take several truly awful games for his stock to drop significantly.
Nov 5 - 4:14 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL analyst Greg Cosell said on the Midday 180 radio program that he "wasn't that impressed" by Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota versus Stanford.

Cosell's specific complaint after watching the game against Stanford was that Mariota "doesn't throw that well." This is something we've heard before. Several days ago, CBS Sports' Rob Rang broke down the game by saying that Mariota "wasn't perfect" and that the quarterback missed multiple open receivers. "The passing windows he'll see in the NFL are much smaller," wrote Rang. While these whispers about Mariota are bound to continue to float around, Mariota is a special physical talent and it would probably take several truly awful games for his stock to drop significantly.

Put me in the unimpressed group.

Rotoworld:

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter

Put me in the unimpressed group.

No offense, but IMO anybody that is not impressed by Mariota hasn't watched him play very much. There isn't one quarterback in college right now that I think will succeed more than Mariota in the NFL. We'll see.

Rotoworld:

When opposing teams send five or more rushers, Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota is completing 76.5% of his passes.

As ESPN blogger Ted Miller noted, 76.5% on such plays is the highest percentage by any Power 5 passer with at least 30 attempts. The stat bodes well for Mariota at the next level, as one issue that many young quarterbacks struggle with is a strong blitz. Earlier on Wednesday, NFL analyst Greg Cosell questioned Mariota's ability as a passer, saying that he "wasn't that impressed" by the junior's game against Stanford, but clearly Mariota does have situations where he excels throwing the rock.
Nov 5 - 8:23 PM

An "unimpressive" play from the Stanford game...https://gfycat.com/TepidSimpleGreatdane

Stanford rushes 4. Oregon has 7 in to block. They STILL manage to flush him from the pocket almost immediately.

They didn't flush him immediately, they collapsed the pocket and then he escaped with his eyes down the field. He then threw the ball into a perfect spot for a TD while Stanford had 7 in coverage.

If you don't like the guy, whatever... No need to make up stuff though.

An "unimpressive" play from the Stanford game...https://gfycat.com/TepidSimpleGreatdane

Stanford rushes 4. Oregon has 7 in to block. They STILL manage to flush him from the pocket almost immediately.

They didn't flush him immediately, they collapsed the pocket and then he escaped with his eyes down the field. He then threw the ball into a perfect spot for a TD while Stanford had 7 in coverage.

There was nothing collapsed about that pocket. It was near perfect. All he had to do was step up but he ran instead. There was plenty of room to make that throw from the pocket.

He missed several easy throws in this game. He made many of them far more difficult than needed. Sure that play shows great athleticism but we already know he's a great athlete. I'd like to see him stand in the pocket rather than bail on it and make throws into tight windows to rather than guys running open by 3 to 5 yds. He can make good throws from the pocket and has pretty good mechanics but he's not going to get away with plays like the above in the NFL because that throw should have been made from the pocket about a second and a half sooner. Had he done that he could have directed the WR toward the sideline and kept him in a running away position from the DB. The separation will not be that large in the NFL and a DB likely challenges that pass because of this.

There was nothing collapsed about that pocket. It was near perfect. All he had to do was step up but he ran instead. There was plenty of room to make that throw from the pocket.

He missed several easy throws in this game. He made many of them far more difficult than needed. Sure that play shows great athleticism but we already know he's a great athlete. I'd like to see him stand in the pocket rather than bail on it and make throws into tight windows to rather than guys running open by 3 to 5 yds. He can make good throws from the pocket and has pretty good mechanics but he's not going to get away with plays like the above in the NFL because that throw should have been made from the pocket about a second and a half sooner. Had he done that he could have directed the WR toward the sideline and kept him in a running away position from the DB. The separation will not be that large in the NFL and a DB likely challenges that pass because of this.

His O-Line has been atrocious, I am guessing that he has a case of happy feet, or he is an excellent scrambler. For those saying he could of done better in the Stanford game, he had 4 TD's, what else do you want from the guy?

Highest QB rating, low INT's. No offensive line or running game (except for last two games) kid is a franchise QB.

* He does tend to miss open WR's at beginning of big games.

Rotoworld:

I respect Cosell a great deal but he's an extremely tough evaluator.

Rotoworld:

One NFL general manager suggested that Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota and the Philadelphia Eagles would be "a seamless" fit in Philadelphia.

"Moving up and mortgaging your future for a receiver does not make sense, but I'd do it for a quarterback," a general manager from another team told espn. "I don't know if Mariota would be worth it, but he might be for Chip (Kelly) because the hardest part at quarterback is the learning curve. Mariota would be seamless in Philadelphia." At the moment, Nick Foles future could be up in the air as the Eagles franchise quarterback, after an inconsistent start to his 2014 season. If Chip Kelly is looking for his franchise QB, than perhaps Mariota, would be the player the Eagles break the bank to move up for.
Nov 11 - 4:08 PM

ESPN's Mike Sando speculated about the possibility that the Philadelphia Eagles could trade up for Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota.

For the moving parts of a Mariota-to-Philly deal to work, a team without quarterback needs would need to land the top pick. Oakland and Jacksonville both appear to be developing Derek Carr and Blake Bortles going forward, respectively, so if one of those teams landed the pick, conversations would probably be easier. A non-Philly general manager said, "Moving up and mortgaging your future for a receiver does not make sense, but I'd do it for a quarterback." He went on to add, "I don't know if Mariota would be worth it, but he might be for Chip because the hardest part at quarterback is the learning curve. Mariota would be seamless in Philadelphia." While Mariota would certainly be more comfortable in Kelly's system thanks to his college exposure to it, one assistant said that "It will all come down to, 'Can Mariota throw the ball accurately enough?'" At this point, the possible trade-up is speculation to keep in mind.
Nov 11 - 4:21 PM

gimmick offenses have produced how many valuable NFL QBs over the years?

how many highly touted QBs have come down the 'pike only to be out ot the NFL in 4 years?

I thought Tim Couch, Kordell, Bob Griffin, Cam Newton, Browning Nagle, Dave Brown, JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith, on and on...

a gold list of Have-Nots..Cam, jury is still out on..

how many highly touted QBs have come down the 'pike only to be out ot the NFL in 4 years?

I thought Tim Couch, Kordell, Bob Griffin, Cam Newton, Browning Nagle, Dave Brown, JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith, on and on...

How do you define "gimmick offenses"? Did Aaron Rodgers come from one? Nick Foles? Matt Ryan? Jay Cutler?

The offense a guy played in in college has little relevance to how well he can play as a pro. Everyone was down on "Tedford QBs" until one of them became one of the top-3 QBs in the league. Aaron Rodgers is not Kyle Boller, and Marcus Mariota is not Akili Smith.

Edited by CalBear
  • Like 2

Rotoworld:

Oregon QB Marcus Mariota has "improved his accuracy and consistency," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.

"Of the Heisman hopefuls, the junior is the premier pro prospect," McShay wrote. "He has very good arm strength, outstanding intangibles and rare speed and elusiveness for the position." Mariota is a heavy favorite to win the Heisman, and he's likely to go in the top three in the spring draft. NFL.com's Charles Davis has compared Mariota to Robert Griffin III.
Nov 27 - 1:22 AM

:sleep:

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota completed 19 of 25 attempts for 367 yards and four touchdowns in the school's 47-19 win over Oregon State.

Mariota added another 39 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. The top graded quarterback (at this point in the process) continues to produce quality performances week in and week out. Some will criticize Mariota because of how often he throws to open receivers. Our answer: all college quarterbacks in a good offense do, and Mariota's case is very different than, say, Bryce Petty's. Focus on when Mariota is forced to find functional space, keep his eyes up, and work to his second or third option.
Nov 30 - 11:01 AM

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota completed 25 of 38 attempts for 313 yards and two touchdowns in the school's 51-13 win over Arizona.

Mariota added another three touchdowns and 33 rushing yards. The quarterback got away with a few errant passes, but obviously the positive plays outweighed the bad. Arizona did a fine job taking away Oregon's first read on multiple occasions. Mariota then moved in the pocket while keeping his eyes up to find open targets. It is what separates running quarterbacks and mobile quarterbacks.
Dec 6 - 9:19 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media Analyst Bucky Brooks notes that scouts will take a closer look at Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's "ability to win from the pocket."

"There is no doubt the NFL scouts are fascinated by Mariota's combination of athleticism and arm talent, but the recent struggles of "running quarterbacks" will prompt evaluators to take a closer look at his ability to win from the pocket," Brooks wrote. Evaluators will look to see if the Oregon prospect can stand tall in the pocket to deliver pinpoint passes, versus fleeing from the pocket when things get muddied. Brooks adds that scouts will also look to see if Mariota "has the patience to fully work through his progressions to get to the second and third option of a route when his primary receiver is covered."
Source: NFL.com
Dec 5 - 3:45 PM

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota completed 25 of 38 attempts for 313 yards and two touchdowns in the school's 51-13 win over Arizona.

Mariota added another three touchdowns and 33 rushing yards. The quarterback got away with a few errant passes, but obviously the positive plays outweighed the bad. Arizona did a fine job taking away Oregon's first read on multiple occasions. Mariota then moved in the pocket while keeping his eyes up to find open targets. It is what separates running quarterbacks and mobile quarterbacks.
Dec 6 - 9:19 AM

Mariota looks like the latter to my eyes.

Mariotta looks like the Clear Number 1 qb in this draft class. Very impressive, maybe he can break the streak of terrible NFL, awesome college qb status with the last 4-5 guys looking like garbage after being studs in College. That is the only thing that scares me about this kid, although he looks awesome on film. I think that is more important then past players who don't even play the same game as him. The system is a little worrisome because the spread is not really effective or run in the pros. I still think he can be a good quarterback in the pros if he can learn to run in a diff system.

Put aside what you'd think about him on a crap team at the top of the draft right now, just for ####s and giggles.

How highly would Mariota go in rookie drafts, how highly would he be ranked from the get-go in dynasty, if the Eagles got crazy and traded up for him?

Put aside what you'd think about him on a crap team at the top of the draft right now, just for ####s and giggles.

How highly would Mariota go in rookie drafts, how highly would he be ranked from the get-go in dynasty, if the Eagles got crazy and traded up for him?

In my 2QB he's #1 unless he goes to a truly awful situation. Even then.

If he goes to Philly I could trade my 1st overall for 2 firsts I bet.

Edited by mr roboto

How about in a non-Superflex league? I'm wondering how high he could go in a regular league if he somehow ends up in Philly.

How about in a non-Superflex league? I'm wondering how high he could go in a regular league if he somehow ends up in Philly.
I'm not that familiar with values for rookies in that context. Name the RBs and WRs that would go ahead of him? I can't see him falling past 5 but again I don't play in a more standard dynasty.

Fair enough. I'm pretty sure Gordon, Gurley, Cooper, maybe Parker and another RB in a good situation (maybe Coleman, Abdullah, or someone like that) would still go above Mariota.

I'm just wondering, in a hypothetical world where Chip Kelly sells out for Mariota, how much does that throw a wrench in the usual devaluation of QB's in standard start-1 QB dynasties.

In my superflex dynasty, I'm thinkin he'll be top 3 easy...I've got 4th pick, I don't expect him to be there. Especially if he tears up the playoff

Philly would have to give up a lot to move up high enough to get Mariota. Doesn't really seem like Chip's style tbh.

I think he's a lock to go to Tampa Bay, Tennessee or NYJ.

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's "inconsistent performance that belies his gaudy statistics" on Friday versus Arizona "could muddy rather than clarify the redshirt junior's projection to the next level," wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"Mariota was much more erratic than his admittedly impressive statistics indicate," Rang wrote. Mariota completed 25-of-38 attempts for 313 yards and two touchdowns in Friday's 51-13 win over Arizona, collecting 346 overall yards and five scores total. "Mariota delivered a couple of plays Friday night that will make the highlight reels and provide evidence of his exciting upside," Rang wrote. The analyst loved how Mariota evaded pressure and kept his eyes upfield in the face of it, but came away unfulfilled. "Mariota missed open receivers and he was very fortunate that a couple of wild deep throws in the first half weren't intercepted," Rang wrote, adding that inconsistencies make the popular comparison to San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick apt. "Neither Kaepernick nor Mariota consistently throws their receivers open, only sporadically providing teammates run-after-the-catch opportunities," Rang wrote.
Source: CBS Sports
Dec 7 - 3:30 PM

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's "inconsistent performance that belies his gaudy statistics" on Friday versus Arizona "could muddy rather than clarify the redshirt junior's projection to the next level," wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"Mariota was much more erratic than his admittedly impressive statistics indicate," Rang wrote. Mariota completed 25-of-38 attempts for 313 yards and two touchdowns in Friday's 51-13 win over Arizona, collecting 346 overall yards and five scores total. "Mariota delivered a couple of plays Friday night that will make the highlight reels and provide evidence of his exciting upside," Rang wrote. The analyst loved how Mariota evaded pressure and kept his eyes upfield in the face of it, but came away unfulfilled. "Mariota missed open receivers and he was very fortunate that a couple of wild deep throws in the first half weren't intercepted," Rang wrote, adding that inconsistencies make the popular comparison to San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick apt. "Neither Kaepernick nor Mariota consistently throws their receivers open, only sporadically providing teammates run-after-the-catch opportunities," Rang wrote.
Dec 7 - 3:30 PM

If he was more consistent he would complete 80% of his passes.

In my superflex dynasty, I'm thinkin he'll be top 3 easy...I've got 4th pick, I don't expect him to be there. Especially if he tears up the playoff

I'm in a start 2 QB, he'll be pick 1 almost certainly...

In a 1 QB league, he's probably 6 or 7th? You got to believe some combination of Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley, Amari Cooper, DeVante Parker, Kevin White, others will be in the mix.

I'm in a start 2 QB, he'll be pick 1 almost certainly...

In a 1 QB league, he's probably 6 or 7th? You got to believe some combination of Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley, Amari Cooper, DeVante Parker, Kevin White, others will be in the mix.

I like Mariota a lot but in 1 QB 12 team league no way would I take him that high. There are at least 3 more I would take before considering Mariota and I'm not sure I'd even take him in the 1st.

Edited by cstu

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes notes that there are "some unknowns" with Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's "transition to a pro-style offense."

"There are some unknowns with his transition to a pro-style offense, but Mariota has the traits, both physically and mentally, that NFL scouts and coaches seek at quarterback," Brugler wrote. Even though Bucs head coach Lovie Smith has never drafted a quarterback in the first round, Brugler notes that "it will be tough" for the Buccaneers to pass on either "Mariota or Jameis Winston," given Tampa's current situation at the position. In his latest mock draft, Brugler sees the Tampa Buccaneers drafting Marcus Mariota with the first pick in the NFL Draft.
Dec 8 - 3:21 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks notes that Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota "showed scouts that he has all of the tools to be a dynamic offensive weapon down the road."

"Overall, Mariota continues to perform at a high level as the director of the Ducks' fast-paced offense. Although he will need to acclimate to a pro-style offense, he certainly showed scouts that he has all of the tools to be a dynamic offensive weapon down the road," Brooks wrote. The Heisman hopeful put on a show versus Arizona completing 25-of-38 attempts for 313 yards and two touchdowns in Friday's 51-13 win over Arizona, collecting 346 overall yards and five scores total. Brooks added that Mariota "showed evaluators that he could excel as a passer in a movement-based passing game that accentuated his talents as a mobile quarterback."
Source: NFL.com
Dec 8 - 4:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota receieved a -2.0 grade form Pro Football Focus for his performance in the school's 51-13 win over Arizona.

PFF's Gordon McGuinness writes Mariota's stat line of five touchdowns does not tell the whole story, and he should have been picked off multiple times. "There were overthrows, late throws into coverage and careless penalties in a performance that never clicked like his touchdown total suggests," he writes. McGuinness astutely adds Mariota was 3 for 10 on throws 20-plus yards downfield.
Dec 8 - 11:03 AM

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota receieved a -2.0 grade form Pro Football Focus for his performance in the school's 51-13 win over Arizona.

PFF's Gordon McGuinness writes Mariota's stat line of five touchdowns does not tell the whole story, and he should have been picked off multiple times. "There were overthrows, late throws into coverage and careless penalties in a performance that never clicked like his touchdown total suggests," he writes. McGuinness astutely adds Mariota was 3 for 10 on throws 20-plus yards downfield.

Source: Pro Football Focus

This is what I see when I watch Mariota as well people read the final stat line and fall in love though. :shrug:

I keep seeing "needs to acclimate to a pro style offense," but there are several offenses similar to Oregon's in the NFL now, and the team drafting him can hire a coordinator who runs something tailored to Mariota's strengths. If you're drafting this kid it stands to reason you'd build your offense around him.

Rotoworld:

This is what I see when I watch Mariota as well people read the final stat line and fall in love though. :shrug:

I didn't like this QB when he came out for the very same reasons.

Rotoworld:

I didn't like

when he came out for the very same reasons.
I never had any problems with Rodgers. Granted I didn't follow him nearly as much or have a very strong feeling either way.

Rotoworld:

I didn't like

when he came out for the very same reasons.

I have to say, if I thought Mariota would be able to sit and learn for a few years, I'd be much higher on his ability to succeed. I like him, but he's just not asked to make very many difficult throws in college.