What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

Every time this thread bumps I visit it expecting to see that he was benched. He did get the weakest vote of confidence ("not making the change now?") that I've ever seen so it can't be too far off... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur Smith catching a ton of heat this week. Marcus said he doesn't have many one read throws and every scout and twitter wannabe diagraming how the routes take a lifetime. Vrabel even got the comical Q did his routes as a TE or FB ever take that long.

For a game where Aikman pointed out how much influence Tom Brady has, it's been fascinating to see how much influence Aikman still has in the week that followed.

Greg Cosell inadvertently ripped Smith, Marcus, Vrabel, and Davis. He's got Davis taking more than ten seconds to finish his routes. Marcus does have one read throws and he mentioned a whole bunch in prior weeks. Smith's choice of plays with long routes was an elementary mistake against a top secondary. Vrabel was a defender, he knows what longer routes do, preparing....Greg is a nice guy and full of facts, he slammed them good this week and was apologizing at the end

20 PFF stats to know after Week 3 of the 2019 NFL regular season

Excerpt:

MARCUS MARIOTA HAS BEEN SPENDING A LOT OF TIME IN THE POCKET

Marcus Mariota has stood in the pocket for 2.5 seconds or longer on 69% of his dropbacks so far this season. If he were to maintain that rate, it would be the highest for a qualifying quarterback since 2013. That’s not necessarily something to be proud of, though, as Mariota has been sacked a league-high 14 times. Seven of those came in Week 3, where he stayed in the pocket 2.5 seconds or longer on 75.5% of his dropbacks.

Does this make us wonder at all about Mariota being done with the Titans?

Mariota is on his last year of his rookie deal and the FO has tried to build young/better talent around him these past few years. We can argue how "better" that talent is overall but it is clear that it hasn't helped Mariota, and that it is likely more on him than his surrounding pieces.

Nothing is over yet -- and AFC South is still a little bit open as is the entire AFC. But there is a reasonable viewpoint that says that Mariota shouldn't suit up and they should just see what they have in Tannehill under center with this offense.

I really hope he gets a chance with an actual NFL offense one of these days but I’m afraid he’s probably already busted. 
If another team signed him to be their starter I'd feel really bad for that fan base. Even signing a guy like Flacco is better because you know it's as a one-year fill-in. 

Certainly looks like the end of Mariota’s TEN career is nigh.  Couple of things...

1)  Think about the difference in how BAL has built their offense around Lamar Jackson and how TEN saddled Mariota with the prehistoric fossil coaching of Mike Mularkey.

2)  The best WR Mariota ever had to throw to was Rishard Matthews.  

Between Winston and Mariota...I think Mariota is much more salvageable.  But he needs a change of scenery drastically.  Ironically, I’d love to see what Arians could do with the guy.

2)  The best WR Mariota ever had to throw to was Rishard Matthews.  
Corey Davis is worse than Rishard Matthews?  Or was Mariota and their pass blocking sucking making Davis bad?

Mariota had plenty of opportunities, but the offensive scheme changed EVERY YEAR and yet still managed to be terrible every year.

I don't know who to blame, but it's probably both.  Bad coaching and bad QB play.

Corey Davis is worse than Rishard Matthews?  Or was Mariota and their pass blocking sucking making Davis bad?

Mariota had plenty of opportunities, but the offensive scheme changed EVERY YEAR and yet still managed to be terrible every year.

I don't know who to blame, but it's probably both.  Bad coaching and bad QB play.
I’d say to this point...Davis’ stats thru close to 2.5 seasons; 115/1507/5 are a massive disappointment.  If you want to split hairs over who was worse, the overall point remains the same.

Ultimately, I think with the right coaching Mariota could have become a very good NFL QB.  Winston though panics...the ‘hero complex’ being referred to...nope.  He panics.

Winston has 12 TDs and 10 INTs this season.  Mariota has 7 TDs and 2 INTs this season.  His first INT was yesterday.  Mariota needs to get to a team that will utilize his talent.

Titans coach Mike Vrabel said the team will decide on its starting quarterback Monday night.

In a demotion that was long overdue, Marcus Mariota was benched for Ryan Tannehill midway through Sunday's loss to Denver. Tannehill fared significantly better than Mariota did Sunday (a low bar to clear given the latter's complete ineptitude), though the two signal-callers share many of the same shortcomings. Mariota doesn't have the strongest supporting cast in Tennessee and his offensive line has hung him out to dry more than a few times this season, but he hasn't been the difference-maker the Titans thought he would be when they drafted him second overall in 2015. The Titans have dropped four of their last five heading into their Week 7 matchup with the Chargers.

RELATED: 

Ryan Tannehill

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter

Oct 14, 2019, 1:08 PM ET

Reports are that they are deciding on the starter today or tomorrow.  That is not good news for Mariota.  He's finished. 

As I recall the scouting report on Mariota was that he would be a great extension of the coach on the field. He hasn't had any coaches that you would want an extension of on the field I guess. 

I blame the bad WR play on Mariota to some extent - he doesn't throw that damn ball. I'm not even sure it's bad WR play.  Not producing tons of stats doesn't necessarily mean a WR is bad or playing bad.  Are Juju and Diontae playing poorly in Pittsburgh right now? Corey Davis might end up like Robert Woods later in his career. 

I blame the bad QB play on coaches to some extent, as well as the constant changes in systems and poor offensive line play.  That might be another contributer to low stats - too much pressure.  Sacks are a QB stat though... 

Don't Noonan said:
Winston has 12 TDs and 10 INTs this season.  Mariota has 7 TDs and 2 INTs this season.  His first INT was yesterday.  Mariota needs to get to a team that will utilize his talent.
I cannot fathom how anyone who has watched this guy try to throw a football the last several years would refer to it as "talent" at this point.

Brutal passer.  Just brutal.  Has to be the worst QB I have seen last 5 years in the league.

Don't Noonan said:
Winston has 12 TDs and 10 INTs this season.  Mariota has 7 TDs and 2 INTs this season.  His first INT was yesterday.  Corey Davis needs to get to a team that will utilize his talent.
Fixed.

So what that Mariota has thrown only 2 picks?  I work in Nashville and see a lot of Titans games.  He sucks.  Can't read a defense, holds on to the ball way too long.  Doesn't feel the pressure very well.  Doesn't have a really strong arm plus he's not that accurate.

The Titans are absolutely brutal to watch.  Might as well go with Tannehill and see if he can right the ship.  All TEN needs is some decent QB play.  Their D is pretty good and Derrick Henry is a horse and is pretty much money at the goalline. 

Fixed.

So what that Mariota has thrown only 2 picks?  I work in Nashville and see a lot of Titans games.  He sucks.  Can't read a defense, holds on to the ball way too long.  Doesn't feel the pressure very well.  Doesn't have a really strong arm plus he's not that accurate.

The Titans are absolutely brutal to watch.  Might as well go with Tannehill and see if he can right the ship.  All TEN needs is some decent QB play.  Their D is pretty good and Derrick Henry is a horse and is pretty much money at the goalline. 
I look forward to watching Tannehill crap the bed in the crap offense.

Tannehill will last about 3 games before he gets hurt and Mariota is back in there stinking up the joint. Then he will get hurt and maybe they will have a Kyle Allen/Gardner Minshew that can step to the plate.

fightingillini said:
Fixed.

Agreed. TN has a top rate D and a great back; they just need average QB play.  Tannehill is not great but I think he can be effective. Mariotta's best year was 3400 yards and 26 TDs; Tannehill has thrown for over 4000 yards twice and averages around 24-26 TDs to 12-13 INTs.  Mariotta hasn't had one year that good yet.

Don't Noonan said:
I look forward to watching Tannehill crap the bed in the crap offense.
That certainly might happen.  But maybe it won't.  The Titans have to at least find out if Tannehill can somehow right the ship.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

FollowFollow @RapSheet

More

The #Titans are making a QB change. Ryan Tannehill has been informed he’ll get the start Sunday against the #Chargers, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. Former No. 2 overall pick Marcus Mariota goes to the bench.

6:18 PM - 15 Oct 2019

NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reports Ryan Tannehill will start Week 7 against the Chargers instead of Marcus Mariota.

It was only a matter of time before the Titans coaching staff was going to get tired of punting and making the change with a home game this week was perfect timing. Mariota has shown few signs of upside in the 61 games as the Titans' starter, and he's made the offense completely unwatchable for the last two-plus seasons. The 2015 second overall pick doesn't have a single 3,500-yard season and owns a career 7.2 adjusted yards per attempt average despite only attempting 28.5 passes per game. It's likely that Mariota will be playing in a new uniform in 2020, and he may have to settle for a backup job.

Marcus is near or at the point where he has taken too many sacks like Carr, Couch, Akili, Bradford...so many. They're on pace for 70-80 this year.

Sidenote-He threw an awful screen to Henry-easy gimme pass and it was awful. People are making too much of that one pass though. I've seen countless athletes mess up a gimme throw because it is too easy. 

Back to...so the sacks are too high and too immediate. There are coverage sacks and two announcers thus far have diagrammed that the Titans have no deep speed so the safeties can do whatever they want AND the routes take too long. Aikman was pretty into breaking it down and he was getting real irritated just watching. I consistently complain that the routes end in the same spot and when I'm annoyed enough, I'll claim anyone here can draw a better play on their buddies chest in the backyard. 

Tannehill wasn't good in Miami and it's funny how a new team gives him new life and people claim this and that. That aside, good for him and the positivity. If the line stinks and the offense is poorly designed, it's crazy to think Tannehill will do well. 

AJ has surpassed Davis in DFS value and I was watching if teams are giving him more attention. Davis gets the number one CB and Brown gets the double team, occasionally. I don't think Davis is but a good #2. If there is a change here, Tannehill has a shot. Brown can throw a defender out of the way and do whatever he wants if ....I haven't quite figured out what happens for him to beast like he does. Brown is probably the key.

I think most of the Titans fans are livid because this is the most talented offense they've ever had and the offense is poorly run and poorly designed. Smith is young and they're going to be patient with him (at the cost of Marcus, Conklin, maybe Henry) and let him develop. He's smart and honest and sincere. When a reporter does get a quote from him, he always admits to mistakes by the O and has a good idea to change it or proper response. Smith being on his way to being a billionaire may be why, idk, but he doesn't feel stress like normal people. He is nothing like Robiske or LaFleur and his offense is debatably similarly bad. He's pretty chill about it and just well we'll change this and adjust that and...the team seems to really like that.

Tannehill has barely practiced with the ones all offseason. They were instilling a newish offense and this was Marcus' team. He is going to get what the Titans should have done all along- a whole lot of handoffs to Henry. It's what Tannehill needs, it's what the line needs to get rolling finally, it's not going to turn it over, it's going to get their D rest....it is sooo coming that I'll be all over Henry in FF. Everyone spent too much time talking the run opens up the pass or the pass opens up the run and Smith spent too much time trying to be balanced. Teams truly go with the hot hand and then because he's hot, the opposite is open. It's not call three pass plays, three run plays, and some sort of pattern that amounts to a math equation. 

I've never seen a QB play for such bad offenses as Marcus. I've never seen a team mess up a QBs development as bad as the Titans did. I've never seen a team hold back a blessed athlete like they have. His results weren't good. He might play again this year, Tannehill playing well and not being benched is a leap. If he's done in TEN, I still think he'll do well elsewhere. All the haters have the ammo they need right now and it's perfect for them so there's no need to argue. 

As someone pointed out the other day- Mariota and Bradford were/are two of the best young men in sports and that should have been written about. Never complain, always take the blame, say best for the team every chance they get....we probably missed a good opportunity to show our kids how to act in this era of primadonnas. 

There are rumors of Cam coming to TEN for a third and a redone contract. I am all for his punk self, big smile, and all that attitude. I don't even care if he stinks like everyone says. He's 29 and the Panthers never really built much of an offense around him, yet he had some impressive years. CMC is awesome, but a million throws to the RB and college RB Samuel at the other RB isn't normal. Their WR that looked like a TE went to the Colts and said he hoped to be as good as Antonio Gates...it's so odd, but definitely not a stud WR. The failed guy from Philly. The just deep guy that's now with the Saints. Before CMC, he won with that group-only a stud QB can win despite the talent around him. Again though, he supposedly stinks now. FINE! I am so OK with that. Have you ever seen how they run Marcus? Faaa Cam could fix that in a week of practice. Do you think he'll be quiet...ever? What about sitting back there forever while the WRs run long routes? What about getting hit right away? He'll be pointing and barking at the OL and....oh I so want Cam.

They have to blow up a whole lot of bad thinking within the organization. This team is loaded with talent and 6-0 if they just score 21 points. A rookie next year, a free agent QB is so not just plug N play. They need to blow some things up first. I'm afraid they won't and it will be this way and we'll be like the Jets and never win. They are the third ranked D and just added arguably the top defender in the draft and us fans still wonder if they can score enough to win a game. It is so bad right now and the talent so far exceeds the results. Next year, with free agency, they'll be a little worse and...the time is now to fix things

Good thought on Cam Bri...that would inject some excitement anyway. Carolina has to like what Allen has been able to do and trading Cam would be more beneficial/easier than making a QB switch.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
I want to reassert my prediction I've had for years, that Mariota will be a Patriot. I've pointed out over n over that Belichick loves him and Casey and a few others. This week, when he was asked about the play where Mariota and Tannehill was in- he said "Coaches put their best players on the field." 

All Marcus' struggles and he's still got a Mariota quote.

I've shared plenty amidst this thread, not gonna ramble, it was just a quote came up this week and I wish I could bet on this in Vegas. BB has always loved MM8 and if there's a way, he's gonna add him

Reiterate from another thread-

The Titans never release practice videos and yet they did this week and let reporters too. Marcus was sooo slick running the triple option that Baltimore does. 

Marcus looking so smooth and already knowing the triple option well from his college days. If he isn't a starter during free agency, Baltimore totally has to consider getting him as their backup. He's not "part runningback" like Lamar and it would become a team game if Marcus replaced an injured Lamar, but...whew he looked slick. You can't teach that speed and ability to adlib on the run. I think he'd be a perfect fit there.

NFL.com - Ten quarterbacks worth pursuing in free agency/2020 NFL Draft

8. Marcus Mariota, free agent

It certainly wasn't an ideal year for Mariota, as he was benched for Ryan Tannehill after a 2-4 start. Consequently, I know you're wondering why Tannehill is below Mariota on this list. I've touched on this several times this year, and it's because I don't believe Mariota has been utilized in the correct way during his time in Nashville. Mariota was often used in the West Coast offense or a variation of it, but he's a spread quarterback who thrives when he's able to use his legs. Instead of setting him loose as a runner, the Titans made a concerted effort to prevent the injury-prone Mariota from taking big hits. If the former Heisman winner signs with a team that is dedicated to maximizing his skill set, Mariota has a real chance to turn things around.

Users who are viewing this thread