What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brett Hundley, IND (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Brett Hundley - QB - Bruins

ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that "the fact that [uCLA QB Brett Hundley] turned down the chance to participate in the practices and game this week qualifies as a big missed opportunity for him."

Event organizer and former Browns general manager Phil Savage revealed to the media that Hundley was amongst a small group of players who declined his invite by not communicating whether or not he would attend. This behavior has gotten Hundley, ahem, savaged by pundits. "FSU QB Jameis Winston and Mariota are the No. 2 and No. 6 prospects on our board, respectively, but there is a big drop-off after them in this year's quarterback class," McShay wrote. "The battle to be the third-best QB is wide open, and a strong performance this week could have helped Hundley move up draft boards. Moreover, this would have been a good showcase for Hundley. He has good size for the position and good athleticism and arm strength, and he is an accurate passer when throwing to his first read, so he would have likely done well in the one-on-one passing drills in Mobile this week."

Source: ESPN Insider

Jan 21 - 8:15 PM
Sure, but it also could have moved him way down. He isn't going much higher so he's better off working on his Pro Day.
Might be wrong to do so, but I generally downgrade guys who don't take these types of opportunities and risks. At least it's a reason to wonder how much they care about improving.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that "the fact that [uCLA QB Brett Hundley] turned down the chance to participate in the practices and game this week qualifies as a big missed opportunity for him."

Event organizer and former Browns general manager Phil Savage revealed to the media that Hundley was amongst a small group of players who declined his invite by not communicating whether or not he would attend. This behavior has gotten Hundley, ahem, savaged by pundits. "FSU QB Jameis Winston and Mariota are the No. 2 and No. 6 prospects on our board, respectively, but there is a big drop-off after them in this year's quarterback class," McShay wrote. "The battle to be the third-best QB is wide open, and a strong performance this week could have helped Hundley move up draft boards. Moreover, this would have been a good showcase for Hundley. He has good size for the position and good athleticism and arm strength, and he is an accurate passer when throwing to his first read, so he would have likely done well in the one-on-one passing drills in Mobile this week."

Jan 21 - 8:15 PM
Sure, but it also could have moved him way down. He isn't going much higher so he's better off working on his Pro Day.
Might be wrong to do so, but I generally downgrade guys who don't take these types of opportunities and risks. At least it's a reason to wonder how much they care about improving.
Petty, Mannion, and Grayson already getting negative reviews. Hundley can be the #3 QB taken by doing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pretty critical of Hundley, but I think the Senior Bowl thing is being blown out of proportion. He was very dinged up at the end of the season, which is supposedly why he turned down the invite. He's not right physically at the moment.

Regardless, while he had some moments where he found second, third and fourth options, he's still a guy who needs to learn to see the field and move to space to pass rather than scramble.

Rotoworld:

An assistant personnel director told CBS Sports that "[the third QB] could go anywhere from the bottom of the first to the bottom of the third."
"Behind them the picture is cloudy at best," wrote Pat Kirwan. "UCLA's Brett Hundley comes up, but no one seems to have a feel for a definitive No. 3, or where he might be drafted." Hundley, who will be heavily scrutinized at the combine, does figure to be the No. 3 QB selected, even if we wouldn't pull the trigger on him personally. "At least six teams need to draft a QB. So when Winston and Mariota are off the board, that leaves at least four trying to figure out the next-best QB, which alone could push a team into taking one near the end of the first round," Kirwan added. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein recently compared Hundley to NFL journeyman Jason Campbell.

Source: CBS Sports
Feb 10 - 7:51 PM

Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley completed 32.6 percent of his when scrambling, with zero touchdowns and one interception, according to STATS Inc.
Hundley averaged three yards per play on these occasions. Our own Josh Norris has consistently said one of Hundley's biggest issues is resetting his eyes to find open receivers once dropping them. This kind of data is not available on many quarterbacks yet, but hopefully we can pass them along to generate some kind of comparison. Either way, Hundley needs to do a better job using his athleticism as a passer and not just as a runner.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter
Feb 11 - 11:16 AM

Rotoworld:

Even though UCLA QB Brett Hundley will work out at the combine, NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks notes that it won't answer the questions about his "pocket awareness and poise."
"Hundley can't answer the biggest questions surrounding his game (pocket awareness/poise) in shorts/t-shirts," Brooks tweeted. The UCLA prospect has not been able to show that he can consistently win from the pocket and has struggled with reading defenses and getting through his progressions. The 6-foot-3, 227-pound Hundley, has taken 125 sacks in the last three seasons and will have to make huge strides with his pocket presence, if he's going to be a starting QB at the next level.

Source: Bucky Brooks on Twitter
Feb 17 - 2:09 PM

Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley ran a 3.98 20 yard short shuttle, which is the best for QBs since 2006.

Not only is this the best of QBs (Matt Scott had a 3.99), this time is the second best among RBs, behind only Chris Rainey. To perhaps put it into perspective, Jordan Lynch has the best 3-cone since 2006 among QBs, and second best among RBs in that same span. Hundley also ran a 4.63 unofficial forty with a 1.63 10 yard split.

Source: Adam Caplan

Feb 21 - 1:54 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley ran a 3.98 20 yard short shuttle, which is the best for QBs since 2006.

Not only is this the best of QBs (Matt Scott had a 3.99), this time is the second best among RBs, behind only Chris Rainey. To perhaps put it into perspective, Jordan Lynch has the best 3-cone since 2006 among QBs, and second best among RBs in that same span. Hundley also ran a 4.63 unofficial forty with a 1.63 10 yard split.

fantastic. Does this drill have any correlation with NFL success?

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

His numbers are nearly identical to Josh McCown and Hundley was a much better passer in college than McCown.

How good Hundley will be in the NFL I don't know, but I see him being in the NFL a long time.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

He's capable of dropping back, staring down his primary WR, seeing that he is not wide open, he can take off and run. Exactly what the bottomfeeder franchises are looking for.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

His numbers are nearly identical to Josh McCown and Hundley was a much better passer in college than McCown.

How good Hundley will be in the NFL I don't know, but I see him being in the NFL a long time.
Only as a backup. More likely he is gone is 3-5 years after riding the bench when the last team finally says 'why are we paying this guy'?.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

He's capable of dropping back, staring down his primary WR, seeing that he is not wide open, he can take off and run. Exactly what the bottomfeeder franchises are looking for.
He does have those flaws but don't think he's nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. He was better in college than Tannehill and look how he developed (granted not all the way there yet but he's at least a decent QB now).

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley ran a 3.98 20 yard short shuttle, which is the best for QBs since 2006.Not only is this the best of QBs (Matt Scott had a 3.99), this time is the second best among RBs, behind only Chris Rainey. To perhaps put it into perspective, Jordan Lynch has the best 3-cone since 2006 among QBs, and second best among RBs in that same span. Hundley also ran a 4.63 unofficial forty with a 1.63 10 yard split.

I don't think this assessment is accurate. Hundley does have issues with dropping his eyes too often when he scrambles, but you can clearly see him go through his reads. He navigates pressure in the pocket pretty well, is willing to stand in and throw with guys in his face/around him, and did a pretty good job resetting his feet to throw when under pressure. His problem, is that once he does take off running, he stops looking downfield more often than not.But what's not being accounts for, is that Hundley was blitzed on 41% of his drop backs. That's way higher than any of the other top guys. UCLA's offensive line sucked, and Hundley didn't have much choice but to run a lot of the time. Put Mariota or Winston under that kind of pressure and I bet their performance looks different.

And the talent around Hundley sucked. In the Virginia game, his WRs dropped 7 passes. One of them wasn't well placed, but the other 6 should have been easy catches.

I think he is more of a 2nd round pick than a 1st, but he has enough upside to warrant a 2nd round pick.

The idea that he has problems with pocket presence is nonsense. There was constant pressure on him and he did a very good job sliding away from pressure. His pocket presence is much better than Mariota's and as good as Winston's. Hundley slides away from pressure and does a great job stepping up to avoid pressure when his center or guards weren't getting shoved right into his face.

Rotoworld:

The Browns would have considered taking UCLA QB Brett Hundley in the top ten of last year's draft, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter.
We're endlessly tickled by this report. Not only did Ray Farmer whiff on Johnny Manziel, but he apparently preferred to swing harder and miss more profoundly on Hundley. Of course, on the bright side, Farmer can now wait until Round 2 to torch a pick on Hundley. Don't put it past him to get antsy at No. 19, though. In all seriousness, Hundley tested extremely well athletically on Saturday, as expected. We still wouldn't invest the Day 2 pick it's going to require to acquire the UCLA thrower.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Feb 21 - 10:02 PM

Rotoworld:

The Browns would have considered taking UCLA QB Brett Hundley in the top ten of last year's draft, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter.

We're endlessly tickled by this report. Not only did Ray Farmer whiff on Johnny Manziel, but he apparently preferred to swing harder and miss more profoundly on Hundley. Of course, on the bright side, Farmer can now wait until Round 2 to torch a pick on Hundley. Don't put it past him to get antsy at No. 19, though. In all seriousness, Hundley tested extremely well athletically on Saturday, as expected. We still wouldn't invest the Day 2 pick it's going to require to acquire the UCLA thrower.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 21 - 10:02 PM
Fun.

Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley was "very impressive during the interview process with teams," wrote TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

"Articulate, intelligent and comes across as a leader," Pauline wrote. Hundley is an extremely easy prospect to dream on. He's a respected leader, has a history with pressure having been UCLA's quarterback, is ridiculously athletic, and has a nice arm. We won't come around on him, however, because we haven't seen those traits coalesce on the field. When bullets are firing around him, Hundley uses his athleticism to become a running back, dropping his eyes and removing his arm from the equation. It won't matter how well spoken he is if Hundley can't effectively learn how to deal with pressure.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Feb 22 - 9:34 PM

:lol:

Honestly, if the Bills drafted him he might win a few games. But I'm hoping the Titans stay away.
Not even in the 2nd?
Maybe late 2nd, but not 2.01

I'd rather they take a late round flier on Sean Mannion, Chris Bonner or Taylor Heinicke while giving Mett another year.
Hundley has much more upside than those guys. I looked at the progression he's made all three years and if he can keep working to fix his flaws he can be a good QB in the NFL. And despite those flaws he put up impressive numbers - career 67.6% completion and 8.0 YPA, averaged 700 yards rushing, and brought his INT's down to 5 last year.

He's very similar to Kaepernick coming out and like Kaepernick he's worth an early 2nd based on his potential.

Honestly, if the Bills drafted him he might win a few games. But I'm hoping the Titans stay away.
Not even in the 2nd?

I'd rather they take a late round flier on Sean Mannion, Chris Bonner or Taylor Heinicke while giving Mett another year.
Hundley has much more upside than those guys. I looked at the progression he's made all three years and if he can keep working to fix his flaws he can be a good QB in the NFL. And despite those flaws he put up impressive numbers - career 67.6% completion and 8.0 YPA, averaged 700 yards rushing, and brought his INT's down to 5 last year.

He's very similar to Kaepernick coming out and like Kaepernick he's worth an early 2nd based on his potential.
He has more upside, but it'll never be realized until he learns how to manage a collapsing pocket without going into panic mode.

Not even in the 2nd?

if you say so. But I wouldn't take him over a good interior OL, corner, or pass rusher.

Don't forget opportunity cost. I'll take Erving/Matias/Kouandijo and one of the QBs I listed over Hundley and a 6th round guard.

Guessing he'd go somewhere between 49-52, KC, Buffalo, Houston or Philly would be alright landing spots if those teams like his potential. He's not a top 40 player.

He's not a top 40 player.
If he doesn't go top 40 then he likely won't be a good NFL QB. It's very rare for a QB drafted after the top 40 or so picks to do well, somewhere in the neighborhood of 5%. Where Hundley is picked will tell me a great deal.

He's not a top 40 player.
If he doesn't go top 40 then he likely won't be a good NFL QB. It's very rare for a QB drafted after the top 40 or so picks to do well, somewhere in the neighborhood of 5%. Where Hundley is picked will tell me a great deal.
okay and I don't expect him to be a good NFL QB.

However, ~15% of the current NFL starters were taken after pick 40 including three of the league's biggest stars and 100% of those starting Super Bowl XLIX

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Rob Rang believes UCLA QB Brett Hundley "is a project in most schemes but perhaps not so much" for Philadelphia Eagles' HC Chip Kelly.
"Hundley is a project in most schemes but perhaps not so much for Kelly. The 6-3, 226-pounder has terrific speed, a big arm and a career 3-to-1 TD-INT (75-25). The drop-off in talent after the top three quarterbacks is significant enough to push Hundley into the first round, even though many clubs view him as a second-round value." The UCLA prospect's athleticism and familiarity with the system could help his case, as both Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez were fairly successful, despite the athletic skill-set. If Marcus Mariota is off the table for the Eagles, than Hundley could be a potential back-up plan for Philadelphia, but at No.20 it's a huge gamble.

Source: CBS Sports
Feb 24 - 2:57 PM

If he doesn't make it as a QB he could convert to WR:

Hundley

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 6032

Weight: 226

40 Yrd Dash: 4.63

20 Yrd Dash: 2.72

10 Yrd Dash: 1.62

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump: 36

Broad Jump: 10'00"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.98

3-Cone Drill: 6.93
Allen Robinson

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 6025

Weight: 220

40 Yrd Dash: 4.57

20 Yrd Dash: 2.56

10 Yrd Dash: 1.58

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump: 39

Broad Jump: 10'07"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.00

3-Cone Drill: 7.00

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' NFL Insider Pat Kirwan mentioned that he wouldn't be "surprised" if UCLA QB Brett Hundley "goes in the bottom of the first round."
"Just interviewed Brett Hundley...don't be surprised if he goes in the bottom of the first round," Kirwan tweeted. The UCLA prospect's stock has started to rise a bit, since the combine. With evaluators having a hard time agreeing on who the third QB in this draft is, Hundley seems to have and edge on the other prospects not named Winston or Mariota. The Philadelphia Eagles have been linked to the 6-foot-3, 226-pound Hundley as of late. With Oregon QB Marcus Mariota most likely out of reach for the Eagles, Hundley offers Chip Kelly a prospect with a ton of athleticism who is familiar with his system.

Source: Pat Kirwan on Twitter
Feb 27 - 3:39 PM

Rotoworld:

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that UCLA QB Brett Hundley has "got a lot of flaws in his game."
"I don't think he can mentally process," the scout said. "His arm and talent are OK." The 6-foot-3, 226-pounder has 4.63 wheels, a strong arm and a career 75-25 TD-INT ratio, but, as the scout indicates, we've never seen the tools coalesce on the field. "The physical tools are there," another scout said. "He's going to need time. He's going to have to go to a team that will need to have patience with him and just continue teaching him the game. A team at the top of the second (round) that needs a quarterback might throw him to the fire too early, and he's not ready for that."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Mar 1 - 7:11 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis doesn't "think some scouts are giving [uCLA QB Brett Hundley] his due credit as a thrower."

"He's competing to be the third quarterback off the board this year, after Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota," Davis wrote. "That battle isn't over, but some evaluators weren't particularly impressed with how he threw at the combine and they need to see more from him." Hundley is going to get his chance to show them on March 10 at UCLA's pro day. He has already announced he'll stand on his impressive combine numbers (Hundley's 3.98 20-yard shuttle set a new QB combine record, and he ran a 4.63 forty), but Hundley will throw for scouts. Davis, for one, thinks he will impress. "I can't wait to see how he fares," he wrote. "He has a chance to go out and put all those questions to rest, and I think he'll probably do just that."

Source: NFL.com
Mar 2 - 10:25 PM

Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley was pleased with his pro day performance.

"I'm really, really happy with what I did and satisfied with it. I felt like I put on a show today," Hundley said. "I feel like I can just relax a little but there's no break. I've got to keep going and keep getting better." Hundley provided the scouts in attendance with an up-tempo throwing session. QB-needy teams such as the Jets and Titans both sent contingents to watch Hundley throw. He didn't repeat the testing drills he did at the combine. "Brett threw well. He threw 60 passes and ended up completing 57 of the 60 with one drop," HC Jim Mora said. "Not every throw was perfect but I think what the scouts and coaches appreciated was his enthusiasm. When you sit down in interviews, you hear over and over what a great kid he is and what high character he (has)."

Mar 10 - 11:19 PM

Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley "has a good arm and was very accurate" at Tuesday's pro day, noted NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

"His impressive workout at the pro day helped his draft status, and the quarterback has a good chance to be a second-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft," Brandt wrote. By all indications, Hundley had an impressive throwing session Tuesday. As we noted earlier, though, his workout was done in a vacuum in which vision and pocket presence weren't necessary. We question nothing about Hundley when bullets aren't flying, and everything about him when the howitzer starts discharging rounds.

Mar 10 - 10:52 PM

Rotoworld:

UCLA HC Jim Mora doesn't believe QB Brett Hundley is ready to be an immediate NFL starter.

"I think he's ready for the NFL. I don't know that he's ready to go in and start in the NFL," Mora said. "I think if he can find the right situation where he can go in and learn and have a couple years to work on his craft -- because he will work on it, his work ethic is off the charts, character is off the charts -- if he can get himself in the right situation where he's not thrown right into the starting lineup, then I think he can be a very productive NFL player." As NFL.com noted, the quotes were reminiscent of Pete Carroll's after Mark Sanchez left school early. Mora very likely unsuccessfully lobbied Hundley to remain in school for another year. We, for one, believe he should have. Hundey struggles in the pocket, a trademark of past busts, and an issue that another year in school could have done some good. To be fair, Hundley may have dropped two rounds by sticking around last season, and it's possible he was terrified by the prospect of potential further slip

Mar 10 - 10:02 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Rob Rang reports that the Philadelphia Eagles held a private workout and film room session with UCLA QB Brett Hundley on Wednesday.
The Eagles just traded for QB Sam Bradford and have re-signed Mark Sanchez, with Matt Barkley still on the roster. However, there have been rumors of Hundley interest in Philadelphia, and the UCLA prospect did meet with Eagles' QB coach Ryan Day at the Combine. Hundley could be seen as an alternative option to Marcus Mariota, now that it looks like Chip Kelly has moved in another direction. With two veteran QBs in the nest, Hundley could sit and develop behind Bradford and Sanchez.

Source: Rob Rang on Twitter
Mar 12 - 3:28 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay ranks UCLA QB Brett Hundley as the No. 5 QB in the class.

Almost universally, Hundley was graded as the No. 3 QB when he elected to leave school early. We warned that he was making a mistake, and it's likely he's now understanding why: Given a chance to break down his game film, scouts are seeing exactly what we did, a prospect who struggles in the pocket, a trademark of past busts. "When I went back and studied Hundley's full catalogue of throws from 2014, he showed better accuracy than expected and once he zeroed in on his target I thought he showed good toughness staring down the pass rush from inside the pocket," McShay wrote. "But he was not asked to make a lot of anticipatory throws and there are still major concerns when it comes to his pocket awareness."

Mar 25 - 8:57 PM

SI 64: Nos. 54-50: Brett Hundley, Preston Smith, Jordan Phillips, more

Excerpt:

54. Brett Hundley, QB, UCLABio: A five-star recruit out of Chandler High in Arizona, Hundley redshirted in Rick Neuheisel's final season with the Bruins and started to show what he could do in 2012, Jim Mora's first season as head coach. Hundley completed 66.5% of his passes for 3,740 yards and 29 touchdowns, and he's never really let up from there. In his UCLA career, Hundley completed 837 of 1,239 passes (66.7%) for 75 touchdowns and 25 picks. Add in his 1,747 yards and 30 touchdowns on 479 rushing attempts, and you have a legitimate dual-threat quarterback with many traits that could eventually lead to NFL success. The mistake would be in assuming that Hundley can be a legit NFL starter right away.

Strengths: Well-built player at 6'3" and 226 pounds, with all the base attributes you'd want in a mobile quarterback. Has legitimate breakaway speed when on the run. Operates very well out of play-action, and is refining an understanding of the effect his mobility has on opposing defenses. Has the velocity to make any throw without too much effort. When in the pocket to throw, has no issue with delivering the ball and taking a hit. Real ability to succeed under center and in the pocket, though it hasn't been shown much—he took seven snaps under center total in 2014. Mentally tough and a hard worker. Will need serious development in some areas for NFL success, but is worth the time and effort.

Weaknesses: Played in a shotgun offense, and while that isn't a liability in the NFL anymore, Hundley's familiarity with a relatively simple play-calling system will be. Tends to lock on to his first receiver too often, will telegraph his reads, and will struggle further with turnovers in the NFL, when coverage windows are smaller. Drops from passing to running under pressure too often, and needs to default to keeping his eyes on his targets when on the run. Slightly hitchy delivery that leads to inconsistencies in ball placement. Needs to develop as a pure pocket passer. Takes too many sacks and needs to speed up his internal clock. Not an anticipation thrower—needs open pockets to consistently succeed. Runs into trouble when trying to read more complex coverages.

Conclusion: There's a difference between quarterbacks who can transition from "college offenses" to the pros in a hurry, and those who will need time to adapt. The common denominators among those quarterbacks who succeed are functional pocket awareness, an understanding of the system, and the ability to improvise as a passer instead of as a pure runner. Hundley has the potential to become one of those quarterbacks, but he's probably in for a rude awakening if he's thrown onto the field too soon with too much expected of him.

Pro Comparison: Colin Kaepernick, 49ers (Round 2, 2011)

Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Brett Hundley "would be a nice fit to groom behind" Philip Rivers, believes NFL.com's Charles Davis.
Davis' colleague Ian Rapoport recently reported that San Diego isn't ruling out trading Rivers. If they keep him, Davis sees Hundley as a nice prospect to develop behind him. "Hundley could use some seasoning -- his own coach says he's not ready to be a starter in the NFL from Day 1 -- but he's a good athlete with a strong arm and has the tools to develop into a solid NFL starter down the line," Davis wrote. "The Chargers likely won't have to strike in the first round to get him, too."

Apr 1 - 11:05 PM

Users who are viewing this thread