What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brett Hundley, IND (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

The New York Jets held a private workout for UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley about four weeks ago, according to New York Daily News' Manish Mehta.
With the Jets still on the fence with QB Geno Smith, the 6-foot-3, 226-pound Hundley could be an alternative option for New York. The Jets, who have shown interest in Marcus Mariota, may pick too late (No.6 pick) in the draft, to land Mariota's services. Hundley should be around in the second, if the Jets have serious plans to draft him. Hundley has already met with the Texans, and had private workouts with the Bengals and the Eagles. The Cardinals have also scheduled a visit with the UCLA prospect.

Source: New York Daily News
Apr 9 - 3:32 PM

Sport Science segment

http://www.rams-news.com/espns-sport-science-lab-qb-brett-hundley/

Impressive tools and raw material with which to work as a developmental prospect.

Obviously some aspects of testing and drilling things like accuracy in non-game conditions are problematic and can be misleading.

That said, some salient points made, imo, and an exec summary in order of coverage:

1) Very quick release (better than Bridgewater, who played the best among the rookies last year).

2) By their measure, 85% accuracy out of 20 tosses through a ring 10 yards away, 90% out of 10 from 15 yards (one of the most accurate they have ever tested from that distance) and 100% out of 11 on the move (from 10-15 yards?) at targets both moving towards and away from him.

3) Comp - Kaepernick

4) Hundley and consensus #1 overall prospect Winston had a similar volume of red zone passes, but the UCLA prospect bested his completion percentage by over 14%.

Sport Science segment

http://www.rams-news.com/espns-sport-science-lab-qb-brett-hundley/

Impressive tools and raw material with which to work as a developmental prospect.

Obviously some aspects of testing and drilling things like accuracy in non-game conditions are problematic and can be misleading.

That said, some salient points made, imo, and an exec summary in order of coverage:

1) Very quick release (better than Bridgewater, who played the best among the rookies last year).

2) By their measure, 85% accuracy out of 20 tosses through a ring 10 yards away, 90% out of 10 from 15 yards (one of the most accurate they have ever tested from that distance) and 100% out of 11 on the move (from 10-15 yards?) at targets both moving towards and away from him.

3) Comp - Kaepernick

4) Hundley and consensus #1 overall prospect Winston had a similar volume of red zone passes, but the UCLA prospect bested his completion percentage by over 14%.
In 2014, Hundley completed 62% of his red zone attempts and threw a TD on 26% of his attempts. Winston completed 54% of his red zone attempts and threw a TD on 27% of his attempts. So Hundley completed more passes, but only on underneath throws that didn't go into the end zone.

In 2013, Hundley completed 57% of his red zone attempts and threw a TD on 25% of his attempts. Winston completed 63% of his red zone attempts and threw a TD on 39% of his attempts. So Winston completed more passes, and had a lot more TDs.

Hundley 2013-4: 59% complete, 25% TDs (95 att, 56 comp, 24 TD, 3 INT)

Winston 2013-4: 59% complete, 33% TDs (102 att, 60 comp, 34 TD, 1 INT)

I get behind on things like this because when it comes to college, I only follow the Irish and don't really pay attention to any other teams and only pick up tidbits here and there.

This is what I don't get with Hundley. It seems to me that two years ago he was annointed as the next Luck. Then, now, he seems to be a second tier QB prospect. Did he have a bad year? Did he not grow? Why does it seem people cooled on him?

Rotoworld:

NFL scouts think UCLA QB Brett Hundley "has not improved in college and still lacks poise in the pocket" and dinged him for Colin Kaepernick's 2014 struggles, reports Frank Cooney of NFLDraftScout.com.

"He can run and throw and was able to ring up a lot of yards in college, but Hundley rarely looked smooth and natural, especially in the pocket, where he seemed impatient and all too ready to run," Cooney wrote. Hundley posted 11,713 yards passing and a 75/25 TD/INT ratio in college and possesses top-notch tools, but we've never been high on him because he abandons his responsibility as a passer in the threat of danger. "He sometimes over-strides while passing, making his release point much lower and usually guides the ball from that stance, which means a slow release that invites an alert NFL defender to jump the route. He has ability, but is a project," Cooney wrote.

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 25 - 7:55 PM

He's simply no good. I don't think staying in school another year would have helped his ability to last in the NFL but it would have scored him a nice chunk of $ when some bad GM gets fooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought it was a great pick for the Packers. They need a better backup and Hundley will have 4 years to develop.

The Packers might even get a pick back in 4 years.

Hundley's smart, athletic, risk-averse, and needs to work on his pro-style NFL skills. All these things make him an excellent backup. :shrug:

He'll know the playbook inside and out, will be able to run the scout team for almost any kind of QB from strong-armed slinger to running QB, and if called upon to come in as a replacement, probably won't try to make any plays that hurt the team (since he's not really very good at anything higher-risk in the first place).

Pretty much the dream for him was long-term backup to a good QB. And he's more or less a dream backup for such a team, too. He'll develop over a few years, or he won't, and you'll have gotten good value for him either way.

The pick makes perfect sense for the Packers. You are not expecting him to come in and play. You are expecting him to come in and learn. Have some time in the NFL learning behind one of the best in the game right now. If he has the ability, in a few years, he will be ready. If not, then at least you know you need to find someone else for the eventual replacement of Rodgers.

I think too many teams make a mistake of waiting until they absolutely have no other option than taking a QB in the 1st round because they have no real decent options and usually are picking pretty high in the draft.

The Patriots have done the same thing for years. Brady is the unquestioned starter and has been. They have picked how many mid-late round QB's over the years? They have been able to ship a few off in trades too but it gives them the luxury of really finding the eventual replacement for Brady when the time comes.

Rotoworld:

The Packers don't consider fifth-round QB Brett Hundley "completely developmental."

"He's played at a big-time program," Packers director of player personnel Eliot Wolf said. "(UCLA's) offense is obviously different from ours, but you can see all the big-time throws that he can make." Wolf also called Hundley a "football nerd," while coach Mike McCarthy praised his escapability. Hundley should get the benefit of the doubt when battling Scott Tolzien for No. 2 duties.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
May 3 - 2:56 PM

Other than going to the Colts, could there be a worse spot for him? I like it for the Packers, if he shows well in the preseason or if Rodgers gets hurt they just turned a 5th into a 2nd or 3rd.

The Patriots have done the same thing for years. Brady is the unquestioned starter and has been. They have picked how many mid-late round QB's over the years? They have been able to ship a few off in trades too but it gives them the luxury of really finding the eventual replacement for Brady when the time comes.
The Patriots have spent 6 picks on quarterbacks since 2001, ultimately trading 2 of them plus Mike Vrabel for a 2nd-round pick and a conditional 7th-round pick.

And I'm not sure how any of that gave them the luxury of finding Brady's replacement.

The Patriots have spent 6 picks on quarterbacks since 2001, ultimately trading 2 of them plus Mike Vrabel for a 2nd-round pick and a conditional 7th-round pick.

And I'm not sure how any of that gave them the luxury of finding Brady's replacement.
With the benefit of hindsight, sure, drafting 6 late-round QBs during Brady's tenure seems like a waste of resources. But Brady being All-Pro 13, or 10, or 7, or 4 years ago didn't mean he'd still have been one three years later.

Plenty of former top-3 QBs have had the wheels come off in a hurry, and it's happened at just about any age you care to toss out. Don't for a moment think Belichick was blind to that possibility with Brady.

The luxury is being able to swing and miss on lower rounds rather than having to be forced into a high 1st round pick on a make or break selection because you have no other choice. Finding NFL QB's ain't easy. If it was, we would not have so many legendary first round busts as we do with so many people being so wrong (including the guys who do this stuff for a job)- trying to find the NFL QB to develop over time without the pressure of winning now while you have your QB seems to me to be the smart thing to do.

Remember, Rodgers was taken by the Packers when they still have one of the all time greats who still had many years left in tank. Now, the difference on Rodgers was they spent a late 1st round pick on him when he slid. Hundley is a much less risky proposition since you are spending a later round pick on him. They have time to see if he can be an NFL QB or not. If they find he can not then they can look elsewhere before they have to look elsewhere in a panic.

Here is the problem. You can't teach pocket presence.
I remember very well Waldman talking Garoppolo before the draft:

How about learning not to freeze like a statue when a 320-pound defensive tackle tosses a guard aside like a lawn bag of leaves? Different story.

I fear that the way that Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo responds to pressure could be a fatal flaw for his NFL prospects. If I’m right, Garoppolo is a player whose whole does not equal the sum of his parts.

Is it impossible for Garappolo to address his pocket presence? Of course not. Have I ever seen it when the issues are this dramatic? Not in recent memory.

As critical as I am about what I perceive to be a critical lack of nuance to his game, I want Garoppolo to succeed. However, if I were a decision-maker for a team I’d rather be proven wrong with him playing elsewhere.

No matter how high the sum of his total of parts may be on some scouting reports, he wouldn’t be on my board.
Both Garoppolo and Hundley were drafted on teams with HOF QB's - will be interesting to see if pocket presence can be learned when you're learning it from the best.

Here is the problem. You can't teach pocket presence.
I remember very well Waldman talking Garoppolo before the draft:

How about learning not to freeze like a statue when a 320-pound defensive tackle tosses a guard aside like a lawn bag of leaves? Different story.

I fear that the way that Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo responds to pressure could be a fatal flaw for his NFL prospects. If I’m right, Garoppolo is a player whose whole does not equal the sum of his parts.

Is it impossible for Garappolo to address his pocket presence? Of course not. Have I ever seen it when the issues are this dramatic? Not in recent memory.

As critical as I am about what I perceive to be a critical lack of nuance to his game, I want Garoppolo to succeed. However, if I were a decision-maker for a team I’d rather be proven wrong with him playing elsewhere.

No matter how high the sum of his total of parts may be on some scouting reports, he wouldn’t be on my board.
Both Garoppolo and Hundley were drafted on teams with HOF QB's - will be interesting to see if pocket presence can be learned when you're learning it from the best.
Its not Hundley's response to pressure, it is that he has zero response to pressure. Maybe some of that is not being good at reading defenses pre snap? Believe me, as a Packer fan, I want him to work out, but there is nothing I saw that makes me think he will thrive in the pros. The good news is they spend a 5th rounder and not an early rounder, I guess.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky said QB Matt Blanchard is "so far ahead of Brett Hundley at this point."

Once considered a first-round talent, Hundley failed to improve his stock in his junior year at UCLA, falling all the way to the fifth round of the 2015 draft. Now he's a distant fourth on the Packers' depth chart behind Blanchard, an undrafted free agent who has yet to appear in an NFL game. Scott Tolzien is locked into the No. 2 spot behind last year's NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers.

Related: Brett Hundley

Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
Jun 16 - 1:12 PM

Users who are viewing this thread