What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Testosterone treatments - educate me. (1 Viewer)

matuski

Footballguy
I hear these advertisements on the radio telling me I will become a greek god if I sign up for their testosterone system about as often as I hear those telling me I need to call 1-800-GOLD!!!

I have dismissed them off hand until a few recent random discussions I have had and over heard with doctors and surgeons in the OR. It would seem testosterone is vitally important, and that most men would benefit from it. The question seemed to be where you got it from, as a lot of these "Treatment Centers" are a scam.

Do you use it? Where do you get it? How do you determine scam from legit?

eta - started this after trying to sift through the Cialas thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started doing injectable test about 6 months ago. here is what I have seen

sex drive thru the roof

decrease in body fat- note I workout with weights/cardio 6 times a week

more affection to my wife

increase in muscle and strength

overall better feeling about myself and life

testosterone is an amazing drug for guy 40+ or if you have low test at a young age. note I am on self administered TRT and my dosage is higher than TRT dosage. TRT dosage is around 150MG a week.

good info here on TRT

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/testosterone-replacement-therapy/

if I was you I would start by going to the doc and having blood work done. make sure they test your testosterone levels, they should if they do general blood work. You want to see were your test levels are so you now if they are low or not

I hear these advertisements on the radio telling me I will become a greek god if I sign up for their testosterone system about as often as I hear those telling me I need to call 1-800-GOLD!!!

I have dismissed them off hand until a few recent random discussions I have had and over heard with doctors and surgeons in the OR. It would seem testosterone is vitally important, and that most men would benefit from it. The question seemed to be where you got it from, as a lot of these "Treatment Centers" are a scam.

Do you use it? Where do you get it? How do you determine scam from legit?

eta - started this after trying to sift through the Cialas thread.
Hint: what you hear on the radio are for dietary supplements that they *claim* MAY help boost testosterone.... then they go on and on about the benefits of testosterone. But those supplements really don't do much of anything as far as I can tell. At least not for testosterone levels... I have some that do really help with BPH, though.

As far as where I buy the good ####.... that's not something I will post; perhaps not even give out by PM. It's kind of like buying ammo online and having it shipped to MA... there are companies who will do it, but no one talks about it.

Concerns.. body stops producing Testosterone on its own and you are hooked on this stuff for life.

There seem to only be a couple studies with very small "n" numbers. A large study in progress. For or against seems to be largely speculative at this point?

good point johnnycakes. dont fall for natural test booters they don't work. do your honework and you will find ways to get real test

Concerns.. body stops producing Testosterone on its own and you are hooked on this stuff for life.

There seem to only be a couple studies with very small "n" numbers. A large study in progress. For or against seems to be largely speculative at this point?
There's a point I would say that's not a concern.

I would worry the dosages are not really understood yet. Could end up like early birth control and hrt for women which led to all sorts of cancers.

The best thing to do if you want to start treatments is to work with a doctor that has a lot of experience treating low T. You don't want someone who is just going to write you a prescription and nothing else. There's the injections but also several different types of creams, gels and patches that are commercially available. Another option are compounded medications which is a good option if you have a doctor who wants you to get a very exact dose.

On the over the counter supplements, don't bother. A simple rule of thumb, if it works, it would have been pulled market. Testosterone is a controlled substance, so not only does it require a prescription but it also has additional restrictions. But the bigger factor is the companies making the prescription medications wouldn't allow for an OTC competitor. A lot of the 'boosters' and precursors are more likely to boost your estrogen levels than testosterone levels.

I went to my urologist and he did my bloodwork, my T was very low so I got an rx for axiron. I reran the bloodwork after month and my T was up dramatically. He also put me on an estrogen blocker, because your body turns T into E or something like that.

I do find myself with more energy and have gotten off of my fat ### and done some exercise. My wife might also be happy with the results, or unhappy depending on the day.

If you get your testosterone checked through a real MD (not a men's health clinic), they can check your T level with a blood test. If you can, get Total T test and not free T, it will be cheaper. If you have low T, you can get gel or injectable T and it will be covered by most insurance plans. Many of the gels will also have coupons on their website which makes it about the cheapest option if you have insurance.

Testosterone replacement has been very well studied and is used by millions of men. I wouldn't have any hesitation about using testosterone therapy from a safety concern point (I'm referring to the prescription products). Many compounding outfitters have been under review by the FDA and I would be concerned putting those in my body

I would change diet and join a gym before resorting to this. The results can be dramatic if let's say you drink too much and/or have a sedentary lifestyle.

I went to my doc and he had a flier for AndroGel and I told him that my endurance and stamina at 42 is not the same as when I was in my 30s. Hoping to get a prescription to help with recovery time when working out. Sent off blood to have it tested. Got a callback and broke me the bad news that my T Count was 950 had to be below 250 to get a script. Doctor told me for being in my 40's that is an excellent score. Still bummed I couldn't get a script. Now considering pursuing an HGH treatment through a doctor who runs an anti-aging clinic.

:blackdot:

I looked into this a few years ago and am a few months away from trying for my first kid after my honeymoon. Got a physical lined up next month and going to put this on the docket to talk about.

McGarnicle said:
I would change diet and join a gym before resorting to this. The results can be dramatic if let's say you drink too much and/or have a sedentary lifestyle.
Like what exactly...cut sugars....excecize....Vitamin D and zinc....what else? Is cafine bad? Alcohol?

I have heard the risk of prostrate cancer goes up if your T level gets too high. You want to do be under an MD care to have regular blood tests done to keep it at normal levels.

McGarnicle said:
Like what exactly...cut sugars....excecize....Vitamin D and zinc....what else? Is cafine bad? Alcohol?
I can only speak for me personally, but when I'm drinking too much, eating big subs and burritos for lunch and not exercising, I have a very low libido. When I get on those occasional kicks of eating good stuff (lean meats, lots of fruits and vegetables) and getting out at least once a day to either walk 2-3 miles or do heavy yard work, after 2 weeks I see a very significant increase in my sex drive, I get much firmer erections and shoot bigger loads. The key for me also is limiting alcohol to just 1 or 2 days per week. YMMV

McGarnicle said:
There are lots of studies on this. The two most important exercises for boosting T are squats and pull-ups have the best effect with push-ups having a small effect.

Alcohol can have a negative effect, but this is hard to correlate for as now it seems that hoppy beers have the worst effect on T.

My wife wants me to have some sort of testosterone extraction treatment. Can't imagine having more.
I don't mean to macho man this mofo up, but I honestly can't wait for the day went my wife walking past me in the living room doesn't give me a boner. Or when a I see a hot girl riding a bike. Or when I see a marginally attractive middle aged woman picking hummus out of her teeth. Or the wind blows.

I'm forty now. It has to happen soon, right? I see these old withered guys in my gym beyond the vanishing point of testosterone production. They sit around with withered balls and don't give a crap about anything. If it were legal, they'd walk around naked in the streets and wave a middle finger at a supermodel if she looked at them wrong. Those guys are free.

Seems like most places suggest the following to naturally increase t levels......High-intensity excercize. Limit Alcohol esp. Beer Intake. As much sechs as posssible. High Protein/Good Fat including Chloresterol diet with vegatables. Low Carbs. DHEA upto 200mg, Magnesium Oil, Zinc Citrate, Fish Oil and Vit D.

Appears so. Looking into Androgel treatment prescribed by doc. Not covered by insurance... not happy about the side effects.
What are the side effects? Also, if you'd post your results from the therapy in here, that'd be awesome as more and more of us get older and this becomes something we should be aware of.

Good luck.
I will post for sure, if I am able to get it covered. I should know by the end of the week.

Long list of side effects... just like any other drug they scare the crap out of you to save themselves a future lawsuit. Some of those listed include:

Headaches

Acne

High Blood Pressure

Prostate Issues (enlargement, increased risk of cancer)

Itching/Rash/Dryness at Application Site

Testosterone injections are a balancing act. It can elevate your E2 (estradiol) and make you feel,worse. You want to also do lower more frequent injections to minimize the ups and downs and keep e2 intact.

In short, hell no.

Testosterone medication may boost risk of heart attack, stroke, death
The new research found that among 8,709 older men who were assessed for the possibility of blocked arteries, those taking testosterone were 30% more likely to suffer an adverse event -- a stroke, a heart attack or death.
Just wait till the prostate studies come out in 10 years. It will probably help solve the middle class problem, by killing them off.
Just a purely intuitive level, we all know how powerful testosterone is. It's very difficult for me to believe that any long-term good is going to come from injecting yourself with something like this. It won't be surprising at all when medical studies get caught up.

In short, hell no.

The new research found that among 8,709 older men who were assessed for the possibility of blocked arteries, those taking testosterone were 30% more likely to suffer an adverse event -- a stroke, a heart attack or death.
Just wait till the prostate studies come out in 10 years. It will probably help solve the middle class problem, by killing them off.
Obviously a sceme dreamed up from Obama's death panels.

I would worry the dosages are not really understood yet. Could end up like early birth control and hrt for women which led to all sorts of cancers.
Many men may not have paid attention when the galloping growth of women on hormone replacement therapy came to a screeching halt in 2002, amid news that the popular treatment for menopause symptoms might be driving up the rate of other diseases, such as breast cancer and stroke, among those taking it. But a growing number of researchers have openly fretted that the booming popularity of testosterone treatments -- essentially a form of hormone replacement for men -- may also have unforeseen effects.

In short, hell no.

Do you ever stop?

In short, hell no.

Just a purely intuitive level, we all know how powerful testosterone is. It's very difficult for me to believe that any long-term good is going to come from injecting yourself with something like this. It won't be surprising at all when medical studies get caught up.
At even worse, we could all face a 100-game suspension from MLB.

In short, hell no.

Do you ever stop?
I was being faceous. You could count the number of post I have made like this on your left hand, assuming you still have a few fingers there.

In all seriousness, I did try a natural test booster a year ago. It's a weighlifters thing that even guys in their 20s try now and then to boost strength gains. Testosterone is key to muscle growth, which is why professional wrestlers and dumb FBGuys keep injecting themselves with other men's sperm products.

Did it work? I saw some dismissive comments in here about these sorts of things. However, I took Animal Test (from Universal Nutrition) for the prescribed 3 week period while doing a meticulously constructed intense workout regime. And, yes, I felt the effects. Not only in strength gains at the gym, but frankly I was even hornier than usual at home. It wasn't a mind-blowing change akin to popping Viagara or shooting up steroids, but there was a noticeable difference during that three week period.

I have no idea if this would help guys who need medical testosterone. Like I said, it was a weightlifting thing and it's only effective for 3 weeks - then your body adapts to it (hence they recommend you cycle the stuff - 1 week off, 3 weeks on, and even take extended cool down periods after a couple cycles). But maybe Matuski and others might want to check it out.

In all seriousness, I did try a natural test booster a year ago. It's a weighlifters thing that even guys in their 20s try now and then to boost strength gains. Testosterone is key to muscle growth, which is why professional wrestlers and dumb FBGuys keep injecting themselves with other men's sperm products.

Did it work? I saw some dismissive comments in here about these sorts of things. However, I took Animal Test (from Universal Nutrition) for the prescribed 3 week period while doing a meticulously constructed intense workout regime. And, yes, I felt the effects. Not only in strength gains at the gym, but frankly I was even hornier than usual at home. It wasn't a mind-blowing change akin to popping Viagara or shooting up steroids, but there was a noticeable difference during that three week period.

I have no idea if this would help guys who need medical testosterone. Like I said, it was a weightlifting thing and it's only effective for 3 weeks - then your body adapts to it (hence they recommend you cycle the stuff - 1 week off, 3 weeks on, and even take extended cool down periods after a couple cycles). But maybe Matuski and others might want to check it out.
Go read the last link.

It is akin to injecting yourself with coronary artery disease.

Notably, among men who took testosterone, those who had come into the study with clear, unobstructed coronary arteries were just as likely to suffer one of those outcomes as were those with established coronary artery disease.
Wow.

Mat> I wasn't injecting myself with test. It's an over-the-counter vitamin supplement that stimulates increased test production for a limited time frame.

Very different stuff.

ETA: THIS

My wife wants me to have some sort of testosterone extraction treatment. Can't imagine having more.
I don't mean to macho man this mofo up, but I honestly can't wait for the day went my wife walking past me in the living room doesn't give me a boner. Or when a I see a hot girl riding a bike. Or when I see a marginally attractive middle aged woman picking hummus out of her teeth. Or the wind blows.

I'm forty now. It has to happen soon, right? I see these old withered guys in my gym beyond the vanishing point of testosterone production. They sit around with withered balls and don't give a crap about anything. If it were legal, they'd walk around naked in the streets and wave a middle finger at a supermodel if she looked at them wrong. Those guys are free.
Thats in your DNA, IMO, that has nothing to do with testoerone

Thats in your DNA, IMO, that has nothing to do with testoerone
I think I can confirm this. I have "low-T"... but I'm about as horny a MFer you'll ever meet.

Users who are viewing this thread