What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (2 Viewers)

Please don't disturb Commish's tired finger-pointing anti-Washington rant with pesky things like "facts."
You've really become a shell of yourself....sad to see the decline.
Sorry, I'm just a little fed up with your "blame DC" rhetoric. We've discussed it before. It's beyond merely lazy- that attitude is actually a HUGE part of the problem. You and many other people seem to be under the impression that politicians are hatched in some lab and shipped to DC. They're not. We (everyone in America, other than actual DC residents) send them to Capitol Hill. If you don't like them, do a better job of it.
And the party you support is responsible for the ACA.
I guess. Of course, I don't have elected representation in Congress, because the party you presumably support doesn't want a place with lots of black people and homosexuals to be represented in the process.
Arghh! I love you Tobias, but why are you and tgunz resorting to this stuff?

Bottomfeeder Sports said:
matttyl said:
If implemented, could we do away with EMTALA, or at least amend it greatly?
Lets say you go to the beach. While walking down the beach in just your swimsuit (and away from your identification and those that know you) you have a serious health issue. An ambulance rushes you to the ER where they take a look at you "John Doe" with no evidence that you can pay or have coverage. So despite being able to cover most any cost either out of pocket or with your coverage you are sent out to the curb to die.

EMTALA isn't about taking care of those that can't pay - those with zilch political power, it is about those that can being treated long enough to establish that they can.
And if we all had guaranteed minimum coverage for all, it wouldn't matter.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Say, hypothetically, what happens if an insurance company were to continue offering non-ACA compliant policies (ie when the president decides to enforce his own law) or if it refused to offer ACA-mandated policies?
I've asked this question as well, directly to carriers. People would still have "coverage", but would still be subject to the fine/penalty. For some, though, a non ACA compliant plan combined with the fine (even if enforceable) would cost less than an ACA compliant plan (mostly younger folks).

tommyGunZ said:
snogger said:
Looks like the Family will be switching to my wife's work insurance as we cannot justify the cost..

After running the numbers, if we hit both deductible's for a year, plus the extra cost for her individual insurance, the number came out to be +$3700 :o

I understand that is ONLY if we hit both deductibles.. But then again I'll be 47 in 2 weeks, she's 44 and our daughter starts driving next year ... No way am I taking a $3700 chance..

Switching to her insurance, over mine, means an extra $100 a month for insurance..

Plus the Deducible for Family on her insurance is about $1500 more then my Family deducible would have been.

Then again, if we hit their deducible, coverage is 100% after that, whereas my insurance only kicks in 80% coverage until we hit the Max out of pocket.

Again, the really bad part on this is my Daughter has gone to the same clinic for 14 years, my wife has been going there for 20+ years and now we all have to go to a different clinic and doctor.

So in the end, those of us considered "Middle Class" get :clyde: as the Rich sure the hell don't worry about this, and the poor are covered..

Yea for being middle class!!!!!!!
While I hate the inconvenience your family is facing, there are increased taxes on the rich to help pay for the ACA. And lets be honest, if my choice is that your family keeps your doctors and poor folks get no coverage, or your family has a minor inconvenience and lots of poor people get coverage, I'd opt for the latter. :shrug:
But his inconvenience isn't minor. His out of pocket premiums have increased. His deductible has increased. He has to switch coverage to; keep his doctors (broken promise by the President). His taxes will have to go up. This type of thing will happen over the entirety of the middle class. You act as if this is the only family facing these "inconveniences", when there will be tens of millions more just like him - and I'm not sure "lots of poor people" will "get coverage", as "lots" is a tough word to quantify in this situation when we currently have ~50m uninsured which according to the CBO is never going to drop below ~30m (and not all ~20m newly insured are "poor"). So is it worth "inconveniencing" tens of millions of middle class to help ~10m poor "get coverage"?
The bolded is really the question. Despite my dislike of Obamacare, I can't see that there's any real evidence of your claim.

Please don't disturb Commish's tired finger-pointing anti-Washington rant with pesky things like "facts."
Sorry, I'm just a little fed up with your "blame DC" rhetoric. We've discussed it before. It's beyond merely lazy- that attitude is actually a HUGE part of the problem. You and many other people seem to be under the impression that politicians are hatched in some lab and shipped to DC. They're not. We (everyone in America, other than actual DC residents) send them to Capitol Hill. If you don't like them, do a better job of it.
I guess. Of course, I don't have elected representation in Congress, because the party you presumably support doesn't want a place with lots of black people and homosexuals to be represented in the process.
What can I say, it's a sore spot for obvious reasons. And frankly, it's true. I didn't say they don't want black people and homosexuals to have representation, I said they don't want a place that votes overwhelmingly Democratic (mostly because of the large black and gay populations) to have a vote in Congress if they can help it. I just worded it a little more strongly, for fun.

tommyGunZ said:
Nah, I don't think those were lies. The CBO still says it's a net deficit reducer. Plans that haven't changed since 2009 are still grandfathered, so technically that wasn't a lie though I can see how so many in this eat-the-soundbite-world thought that Obama saying "you can keep your plan" took that to mean that he was personally guaranteeing insurance companies would not change those plans, as silly as that is.

This whole "OBMAA LIES!!!" is just the latest "worst scandal since Watergate" outrage of the week. Soon enough, we'll move on, and you'll invent some new fake scandal and act like all of your other wolf cries never happened.
You understand that any plan purchased after March 23, 2010 isn't considered grandfathered (even though Obama did make the "you can keep your plan" statement even after that date), and will have to be canceled and replaced?

Also, what's humorous is that in some cases the "change" was to add benefits to group plans (such as elimination of lifetime benefits, or addition of dependent maternity in case the child on a employee's plan gets knocked up) which pierced the grandfathered status and will thus force group plans to be canceled and replaced. And those changes were made to give people more benefits and to attempt to make plans ACA compliant.
tommyGunZ said:
snogger said:
Looks like the Family will be switching to my wife's work insurance as we cannot justify the cost..

After running the numbers, if we hit both deductible's for a year, plus the extra cost for her individual insurance, the number came out to be +$3700 :o

I understand that is ONLY if we hit both deductibles.. But then again I'll be 47 in 2 weeks, she's 44 and our daughter starts driving next year ... No way am I taking a $3700 chance..

Switching to her insurance, over mine, means an extra $100 a month for insurance..

Plus the Deducible for Family on her insurance is about $1500 more then my Family deducible would have been.

Then again, if we hit their deducible, coverage is 100% after that, whereas my insurance only kicks in 80% coverage until we hit the Max out of pocket.

Again, the really bad part on this is my Daughter has gone to the same clinic for 14 years, my wife has been going there for 20+ years and now we all have to go to a different clinic and doctor.

So in the end, those of us considered "Middle Class" get :clyde: as the Rich sure the hell don't worry about this, and the poor are covered..

While I hate the inconvenience your family is facing, there are increased taxes on the rich to help pay for the ACA. And lets be honest, if my choice is that your family keeps your doctors and poor folks get no coverage, or your family has a minor inconvenience and lots of poor people get coverage, I'd opt for the latter. :shrug:
But his inconvenience isn't minor. His out of pocket premiums have increased. His deductible has increased. He has to switch coverage to; keep his doctors (broken promise by the President). His taxes will have to go up. This type of thing will happen over the entirety of the middle class. You act as if this is the only family facing these "inconveniences", when there will be tens of millions more just like him - and I'm not sure "lots of poor people" will "get coverage", as "lots" is a tough word to quantify in this situation when we currently have ~50m uninsured which according to the CBO is never going to drop below ~30m (and not all ~20m newly insured are "poor"). So is it worth "inconveniencing" tens of millions of middle class to help ~10m poor "get coverage"?
The bolded is really the question. Despite my dislike of Obamacare, I can't see that there's any real evidence of your claim.
It's not true. As I mentioned before 17k people in my company plan, and 60% of us are in an HMO that is already ACA compliant. For that 60%, our rates went up $4 per month. Additionally, those in one of the buckets of plans that were not ACA compliant were not dropped, and aren't now uninsured. They were simply rolled into a similar plan, covering virtually all the same doctor networks, but that plan has the added benefits and features that make it ACA compliant.

So ZERO of the 17,000 people in my company are losing coverage. And yeah, if them and others rolled into a new plan means 20M-30M more folks can get coverage, it's worth it.

You sure have spent a lot if time and energy defending a law you "dislike"
This seems to be directed at me.

Yes I have. And I've explained why several times in this thread, and I'm sure it would bore people if I did it again. Obviously you doubt my sincerity. That's entirely up to you.

What can I say, it's a sore spot for obvious reasons. And frankly, it's true. I didn't say they don't want black people and homosexuals to have representation, I said they don't want a place that votes overwhelmingly Democratic (mostly because of the large black and gay populations) to have a vote in Congress if they can help it. I just worded it a little more strongly, for fun.
I don't want my Federal Government under the jurisdiction of a State.

tommyGunZ said:
Nah, I don't think those were lies. The CBO still says it's a net deficit reducer. Plans that haven't changed since 2009 are still grandfathered, so technically that wasn't a lie though I can see how so many in this eat-the-soundbite-world thought that Obama saying "you can keep your plan" took that to mean that he was personally guaranteeing insurance companies would not change those plans, as silly as that is.

This whole "OBMAA LIES!!!" is just the latest "worst scandal since Watergate" outrage of the week. Soon enough, we'll move on, and you'll invent some new fake scandal and act like all of your other wolf cries never happened.
You understand that any plan purchased after March 23, 2010 isn't considered grandfathered (even though Obama did make the "you can keep your plan" statement even after that date), and will have to be canceled and replaced?

Also, what's humorous is that in some cases the "change" was to add benefits to group plans (such as elimination of lifetime benefits, or addition of dependent maternity in case the child on a employee's plan gets knocked up) which pierced the grandfathered status and will thus force group plans to be canceled and replaced. And those changes were made to give people more benefits and to attempt to make plans ACA compliant.
tommyGunZ said:
snogger said:

It's not true. As I mentioned before 17k people in my company plan, and 60% of us are in an HMO that is already ACA compliant. For that 60%, our rates went up $4 per month. Additionally, those in one of the buckets of plans that were not ACA compliant were not dropped, and aren't now uninsured. They were simply rolled into a similar plan, covering virtually all the same doctor networks, but that plan has the added benefits and features that make it ACA compliant.

So ZERO of the 17,000 people in my company are losing coverage. And yeah, if them and others rolled into a new plan means 20M-30M more folks can get coverage, it's worth it.
I don't think it's true either, but why should I take your anecdotal information any more seriously than I take his? We just don't know at this point what the effects of this law will be on the middle class.

Where I objected to matttyl's comment is that he used the term "entirety." But even if 20 million people in the middle class (a small percentage of the whole) see their insurances canceled and face more expensive insurance that they don't want, that's still too much for me. If that happens, we need to make changes or exceptions to ACA to alleviate the pain.

Do you gave some alternate theory why the people of DC are denied representation?

Tim... help me out. I am so lost here. You are saying that you don't see any evidence of ACA impacting the middle class as the poster suggested. Is it not true, that as of right now, 5 million people in this country have received letters that their current insurance plan is being discontinued because it is not ACA compliant? This did happen, right? I'm not getting sucked into some right wing Hannity-esque tornado of spin, right? I've read this on normally left-leaning media outlets, so I'm going to assume this is actually a fact unless someone can direct me elsewhere.

And common sense says that since these people's plans are non-compliant, they will need to buy a plan that has more stuff in it than their old plan had, right? And typically when you buy more stuff, it costs more, right?

Ignoring the anecdotal one-off stories, the already existing "evidence" seems to paint a pretty murky picture after a mere 2 months and unless you are closing your eyes, plugging your ears, singing lalalalalalalalala, it would appear that the evidence says that at this moment there are 5 million less people insured in the country than there were 2 months ago and that is a direct result of new mandates coming down from the ACA. Is there something more that is necessary before we can declare we are not moving in the correct direction? The corporate mandates haven't even hit yet.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Do you gave some alternate theory why the people of DC are denied representation?
I don't know the ins and outs of the District of Columbia representation debate. But I don't believe that Republicans are saying, "We don't want any more blacks or gays!" Like bringing up Rosa Parks, it's just an attack on conservatives that they're bigoted. It adds nothing to this discussion.

Stinger Ray is antagonistic to me; he has personally insulted me several times in this thread. But he doesn't deserve to be called a bigot.

Wut?

You mean physically, like you don't want it to have offices in a state? Because it already does have offices in states. Lots of them.

I recognize the awkward position you're placed in by having to justify the party's efforts to deny American citizens voting representation in Congress, but you're gonna have to do better than that.

Tim... help me out. I am so lost here. You are saying that you don't see any evidence of ACA impacting the middle class as the poster suggested. Is it not true, that as of right now, 5 million people in this country have received letters that their current insurance plan is being discontinued because it is not ACA compliant? This did happen, right? I'm not getting sucked into some right wing Hannity-esque tornado of spin, right? I've read this on normally left-leaning media outlets, so I'm going to assume this is actually a fact unless someone can direct me elsewhere.

And common sense says that since these people's plans are non-compliant, they will need to buy a plan that has more stuff in it than their old plan had, right? And typically when you buy more stuff, it costs more, right?

Ignoring the anecdotal one-off stories, the already existing "evidence" seems to paint a pretty murky picture after a mere 2 months and unless you are closing your eyes, plugging your ears, singing lalalalalalalalala, it would appear that the evidence says that at this moment there are 5 million less people insured in the country than there were 2 months ago and that is a direct result of new mandates coming down from the ACA. Is there something more that is necessary before we can declare we are not moving in the correct direction? The corporate mandates haven't even hit yet.

This is what Tim does until he absolutely has no choice. Go read the NSA thread. It's futile to try to discuss things with him and I'm surprised people still try.

No, I am saying that there is no evidence that it will negatively impact the ENTIRETY of the middle class, which is what matttyl wrote. Of course there is evidence that some people in the middle class are being negatively affected. How much we won't know for some time. As I wrote in the previous post, even 20 million would be too much for me.

timschochet said:
DrJ said:
I've got a plan to fix all of this. It's called health insurance insurance. See, you never know when health insurance costs are going to rise or your provider is going to just up and drop you. And this protects you from that.
:excited: This is actually not a bad business idea at all. You could advertise yourself as offering "Obamacare Insurance." People would pay into it every month. Some rich investor could make a killing with this.
My immediate reaction was similar. Or, it could be a great SNL commercial.....

Wut?

You mean physically, like you don't want it to have offices in a state? Because it already does have offices in states. Lots of them.

I recognize the awkward position you're placed in by having to justify the party's efforts to deny American citizens voting representation in Congress, but you're gonna have to do better than that.
Clearly you're not even going to try to understand.

You do realize that this is basically reframing the "if you don't like it, move to another country" argument

Wut?

I'm happy to try to understand, but if you're going to take a position contrary to the primary reason our nation exists in the first place, you're gonna have to make a pretty strong case.

Wut?

I'm happy to try to understand, but if you're going to take a position contrary to the primary reason our nation exists in the first place, you're gonna have to make a pretty strong case.
Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests—we did. [winks at Dean Wormer] But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick perverted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg: isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

Couple of quick facts about the Hobby Lobby thing. The insurance they provide to their employees contains 16 of the 20 ACA mandated birth control offerings. HL objects to being forced to offer "morning after" and "week after" abortion products.

How's that now?
Primary meaning initial rather than main. You know, the whole "no taxation without representation" American Revolution thing. Guess who's being taxed without representation?

tommyGunZ said:
snogger said:

The vast majority of the "middle class" has coverage through their employer, yes? Obamacare is full of fees/taxes that are imposed on group policies to offset the risk in the newly formed exchanges. So, regardless of if someone can keep their plan or doctor or any of the rest of it, their costs HAVE TO go up due solely to these new fees/taxes (and may go up more because of the new mandates "insurance" must now provide).

tommyGunZ said:

tommyGunZ said:
snogger said:

So your one situation makes my statement not true? And no, "your rates" didn't go up $4 a month. Go back and look at the math you provided this thread. You pay only 15% of the cost if I recall correctly. Your employer got an increase as well, they are just paying that for you (and for 17k others) - and now have less money to give raises and such. If your plan is truly ACA compliant, then you have been hit with new reinsurance fees that you didn't have last year, as well as other ACA mandated fees. If the ACA weren't here, you likely wouldn't have received an increase at all.

DrJ said:
Bottomfeeder Sports said:
DrJ said:
With the enrollment numbers being so putrid compared to the projections and with this particular piece being described as such a fundamental part of the plan actually working I'd think we'll have some fairly good evidence early on as to whether that's accurate.
But that is across the board. We only have sparse age data and that is running roughly on par with the general population. Since the unisured skews low that is still less than projected, but those most desperate for coverage signing up first isn't really a reach is it? If those that don't think they need coverage sign up it will be when they get around to it (assuming they sign up at all) So if the overall target number of 9 million or so isn't reached that would most likely be a problem of too many sick people and not enough healthy ones across all age brackets. Which won't answer my question.

As for ages, the target ratio in the press is roughly 40% from 20 to 35 - correct? So as long as that is more or less achieved in the end we wouldn't know either.
No, I could definitely see that happening. Mainly because the plans aren't priced appropriately to the level of risk each party presents. It's low for those that are desperate for coverage and high risk and it's high for those that are currently healthy and low risk. This is what insurance is like to begin with, but this bill actually added additional pressure by allowing people in that were too high of a risk to participate before and removing the caps for others. So you added a pile of cost and risk, the only way to counter that is to expand the lower risk groups and/or extract more from the ones you currently have.
What? People that are desperate for coverage are being offered discounted rates?

Econ 101- Pricing (in a relatively free market) is based to supply and demand. Not costs. Sure not many will be willing to supply a product or service for a lost - which of course is why the supply for the "desperate" is also low.

Low supply, high demand though means the prices will be at a premium.

Low demand, many willing to supply the services means discounted prices.

The question is not does the 5:1, 7:1, 8:1 age bands reflect this? Of course they do. The question is what are differences in cost for the groups with similar populations other than age? Is it 3:1?

I'm not saying that it is. I'm asking for supporting evidence either way.

And it remains to be seen if we have added cost to the system (I'm sure we have in the short term) long term as opposed to just shifted them around. In other words we were already paying for those with high risk unable to afford to participate in the market. Remember the entire premise of health care reform (of which the ACA is a tiny piece) is that preventive care, including active management of high risk populations is cheaper in the long run than responding to each of their episodic issues as they come up. Is that true? I'm a doubter!
Correct. They are receiving discounted rates relative to the risk/cost they represent. Someone that couldn't even get insurance before because of the risk they present is getting a spectacular deal to be able to get it now at the prices they are offering. There was a reason no one would offer them that coverage at that price before. Now someone needs to pay for that discount. This has nothing to do with free market, the free market already determined it wasn't feasible to cover them. This coverage is being provided based on government law, not the free market.Because of this, what you've predicted is likely to happen. I'd say almost certain to happen.

I don't even see how it's up for debate that we added costs. We covered a bunch of people too high risk to be covered before, we removed the caps on how much people can draw from the pool, we allowed 26 year olds to piggy back someone else's insurance, and we gave subsidies to people that have trouble affording it. And we mandated that everyone participate. That's the law in a nutshell, and everything but the last sentence adds cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, I am saying that there is no evidence that it will negatively impact the ENTIRETY of the middle class, which is what matttyl wrote. Of course there is evidence that some people in the middle class are being negatively affected. How much we won't know for some time. As I wrote in the previous post, even 20 million would be too much for me.
And as I said, since the vast majority of people in the middle class get their coverage via their employer, and that employer rates have to include new ACA fees/taxes such as reinsurance for the newly formed exchanges, they will all have to pay more because of the ACA. Maybe that cost isn't much (it's between $5-6 per enrollee per month), but it is something you have to account for before a single plan is canceled/replaced or before any Dr. is no longer in that network.

How's that now?
Primary meaning initial rather than main. You know, the whole "no taxation without representation" American Revolution thing. Guess who's being taxed without representation?
Sorry, I'm coming into this late but are you suggesting that the District of Columbia should become a State or are you just saying they should get Representatives and Senators?

How's that now?
Sorry, I'm coming into this late but are you suggesting that the District of Columbia should become a State or are you just saying they should get Representatives and Senators?
Voting representative, but really any of them would be helpful so long as there's some representation.

And this is obviously the wrong forum for it- I just took a swipe at the GOP position on the issue when it came up in a tangent, and Andy took issue with the swipe. I don't mean to distract everyone from the Obamacare bickering.

How's that now?
Voting representative, but really any of them would be helpful so long as there's some representation.

And this is obviously the wrong forum for it- I just took a swipe at the GOP position on the issue when it came up in a tangent, and Andy took issue with the swipe. I don't mean to distract everyone from the Obamacare bickering.
When we expand the size of the House of Representatives to what it should be, like, 2500 to 4000 congressmen, I'd have no problem throwing 1 or 2 DC's way.

And as I said, since the vast majority of people in the middle class get their coverage via their employer, and that employer rates have to include new ACA fees/taxes such as reinsurance for the newly formed exchanges, they will all have to pay more because of the ACA. Maybe that cost isn't much (it's between $5-6 per enrollee per month), but it is something you have to account for before a single plan is canceled/replaced or before any Dr. is no longer in that network.
If the cost isn't much, then Obamacare will not be catastrophic to the middle class. Let's be clear: I think it's reasonable to accept SOME cost increases, and some anecdotal pain to a few people around the edges, as the price for allowing more people access to health care and ultimately bringing overall health care costs down, assuming that Obamacare realizes these goals (which frankly at this point I am not.)

I don't think it's reasonable if millions of Americans face cancellation of their existing health care replaced by something they cannot afford. Millions means exactly that- even if it ended up being 5 million people, and someone like tgunz then argued that. "hey it's only a small percentage of the public", that would be too much for me. I would then be looking for solutions (which I am now, based on the strong assumption that this is going to come true.)

So your one situation makes my statement not true? And no, "your rates" didn't go up $4 a month. Go back and look at the math you provided this thread. You pay only 15% of the cost if I recall correctly. Your employer got an increase as well, they are just paying that for you (and for 17k others) - and now have less money to give raises and such. If your plan is truly ACA compliant, then you have been hit with new reinsurance fees that you didn't have last year, as well as other ACA mandated fees. If the ACA weren't here, you likely wouldn't have received an increase at all.
Try not to confuse the poor man with math. He is under the impression that 17000 people contributing $4 per month for $68000 per month is going to give insurance to 20- 30M folks. I don't know the cost of the ACA policy that would be provided to the previously uninsured, but even if it is a measly $100 per month his company is only giving insurance to 680 people. In order for Tgunz to be right at the $4 raise there would have to be about 3/4 of a billion people paying into the system, and that is only if the "free" insurance is a hundred bucks or less.

If the cost isn't much, then Obamacare will not be catastrophic to the middle class. Let's be clear: I think it's reasonable to accept SOME cost increases, and some anecdotal pain to a few people around the edges, as the price for allowing more people access to health care and ultimately bringing overall health care costs down, assuming that Obamacare realizes these goals (which frankly at this point I am not.)

I don't think it's reasonable if millions of Americans face cancellation of their existing health care replaced by something they cannot afford. Millions means exactly that- even if it ended up being 5 million people, and someone like tgunz then argued that. "hey it's only a small percentage of the public", that would be too much for me. I would then be looking for solutions (which I am now, based on the strong assumption that this is going to come true.)
Feel free to read this article and then get back to me on how little affect the aca is having on the Middle class.

:popcorn:

yep, obamacare is here to stay, since there's no other plan being proposed
That's only true if you don't look.
Whoa- they're proposing a $7,500 per individual/$20,000 per family annual deduction for literally tens of millions of taxpayers? Have they done the math on that?
I am sure they have.
I don't see it on the fact sheet explaining the proposal, so if they did it, they didn't want to share the results for some reason.

My guess is that it's the sort of thing you can only propose when you know there's zero chance it will become law. It's not a real proposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa- they're proposing a $7,500 per individual/$20,000 per family annual deduction for literally tens of millions of taxpayers? Have they done the math on that?
I am sure they have.
I don't see it on the fact sheet explaining the proposal, so if they did it, they didn't want to share the results for some reason.

My guess is that it's the sort of thing you can only propose when you know there's zero chance it will become law. It's not a real proposal.
Maybe they figure they need to pass it to see what's in it.

link

Obamacare’s online SHOP enrollment delayed by one year
The White House will hold off on launching its online health exchange where small businesses can shop for coverage until November 2014, an HHS official confirmed Wednesday.

Small businesses will still have the option to purchase coverage through the new marketplace but will not be able to do so online. Instead, until next fall, employers with fewer than 50 workers will need to work through a broker or agent to buy health plans for their employees.

"We’ve concluded that we can best serve small employers by continuing this offline process while we concentrate on both creating a smoothly functioning online experience in the SHOP Marketplace, and adding key new features, including an employee choice option and premium aggregation services, by November 2014," the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services wrote in a Q&A distributed to health law stakeholders.

Health law supporters expressed frustration at the decision, but said they still support the overall goal of making it easier for small businesses to shop for coverage.

"It’s disappointing that the online portion of the federal small business marketplace through Healthcare.gov will be delayed and it’s important it get up and running as soon as possible," said John Arensmeyer, president of the Small Business Majority, a nonprofit that supports the Affordable Care Act. "However, it doesn’t change the fact that the marketplace can offer the most competitive combination of price and quality for small businesses purchasing health insurance."

The Small Business Health Options Program, or SHOP Exchange, has already had a troubled launch with multiple delays as the Obama administration has focused much of its efforts on launching the individual insurance marketplace where Americans can shop for subsidized health insurance coverage.

The White House announced last April a one-year delay to the "consumer choice" function in the SHOP exchange, which would allow each employee to pick their own insurance plan, pushing that functionality back until the 2015 open enrollment season.

That delay was followed with another setback in September when the White House announced that online shopping in the small business exchange would not be available when open enrollment started in October.

Under the new Obama administration proposal, small businesses will now have to "go directly to an agent, broker or to an insurance company with plans certified by the Marketplace," the Q&A document states. "The insurer must agree to offer direct enrollment in SHOP coverage and to conduct enrollment according to HHS requirements."

The agent or broker will "help the employer fill out a paper application for SHOP eligibility and send it in to the SHOP Marketplace."

I am sure they have.

Maybe they figure they need to pass it to see what's in it.
Sigh. Didn't we dubunk this myth like two hours ago?

I am sure they have.

Maybe they figure they need to pass it so that the people can find out what's in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Sigh. Didn't we dubunk this myth like two hours ago?
Okay ... fixed. Still the same. I'm sure the people that have drafted and supported the bill have done the math and understand how it fits into the governmental scheme.

link

Obamacare’s online SHOP enrollment delayed by one year
The White House will hold off on launching its online health exchange where small businesses can shop for coverage until November 2014, an HHS official confirmed Wednesday.

Small businesses will still have the option to purchase coverage through the new marketplace but will not be able to do so online. Instead, until next fall, employers with fewer than 50 workers will need to work through a broker or agent to buy health plans for their employees.

"We’ve concluded that we can best serve small employers by continuing this offline process while we concentrate on both creating a smoothly functioning online experience in the SHOP Marketplace, and adding key new features, including an employee choice option and premium aggregation services, by November 2014," the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services wrote in a Q&A distributed to health law stakeholders.

Health law supporters expressed frustration at the decision, but said they still support the overall goal of making it easier for small businesses to shop for coverage.

"It’s disappointing that the online portion of the federal small business marketplace through Healthcare.gov will be delayed and it’s important it get up and running as soon as possible," said John Arensmeyer, president of the Small Business Majority, a nonprofit that supports the Affordable Care Act. "However, it doesn’t change the fact that the marketplace can offer the most competitive combination of price and quality for small businesses purchasing health insurance."

The Small Business Health Options Program, or SHOP Exchange, has already had a troubled launch with multiple delays as the Obama administration has focused much of its efforts on launching the individual insurance marketplace where Americans can shop for subsidized health insurance coverage.

The White House announced last April a one-year delay to the "consumer choice" function in the SHOP exchange, which would allow each employee to pick their own insurance plan, pushing that functionality back until the 2015 open enrollment season.

That delay was followed with another setback in September when the White House announced that online shopping in the small business exchange would not be available when open enrollment started in October.

Under the new Obama administration proposal, small businesses will now have to "go directly to an agent, broker or to an insurance company with plans certified by the Marketplace," the Q&A document states. "The insurer must agree to offer direct enrollment in SHOP coverage and to conduct enrollment according to HHS requirements."

The agent or broker will "help the employer fill out a paper application for SHOP eligibility and send it in to the SHOP Marketplace."
Instead, until next fall, employers with fewer than 50 workers will need to work through a broker or agent to buy health plans for their employees.
:lol:

More money for those this bill was really designed for, while taking it out of the pockets of those that this bill was suppose to be for.

:clyde:

tommyGunZ said:

tommyGunZ said:
snogger said:

Right, I'm aware that my company contributes greatly to my health insurance premiums. As do most who have employer based coverage.

Why wouldn't my premiums increase w/o the ACA? Haven't premiums been rising every year for the last 20 years? They would have suddenly halted premium increases this year? LOL

I guess he lives in DC and doesn't understand the Constitution and the reason behind the special rules there?

If we could just get my district un-gerrymandered I would.

Users who are viewing this thread