What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Martin done for season (1 Viewer)

Khy

Footballguy
According to multiple reports, Doug Martin sustained a labrum tear in his left shoulder Sunday and is likely out for the season.

Martin's wildly disappointing second NFL campaign ends with a thud. In six games, he's rushed 127 times for 456 yards (3.59 YPC) with just one touchdown and added a meager 12 catches for 66 yards. Now he'll watch the rest of the season as sixth-round rookie Mike James operates as the feature back with third-round rookie Mike Glennon at quarterback.
Related: Mike James

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
Oct 21 - 11:34 AM
Didn't see this anywhere, pretty huge news.

I own James in a few deep leagues already. He's a raw backup talent with good upside. Maybe he's this years Bryce Brown

And with the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Buccaneers select...Lovie Smith.
Curiosity is peaking... if the Jags AND the Bucs go 0-16 what's the tie breaker for #1 overall pick? Is there even something in place for this? It's never happened before...

Last edited by a moderator:
And with the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Buccaneers select...Lovie Smith.
Curiosity is peaking... if the Jags AND the Bucs go 0-16 what's the tie breaker for #1 overall pick? Is there even something in place for this? It's never happened before...
Coin flip, right?
Yeah, I mean I have no idea. I'm kind of hoping this happens... it'd be interesting to see. With both teams desperately wanting a franchise QB and Bridgewater being the clear #1 overall more than likely regardless of which one ends with #1 overall. It'd just be interesting to see both teams go 0-16. Cause there is no conference or division tie breakers or anything of the sort. Maybe it goes by total points scored on the season? :shrug:

Could you imagine if a coin flip was to determine who gets the next big thing?

Coin flip, right?
Strength of schedule, goes by winning percentage of opponents. Lower means your 0-16 was worse than their 0-16 because your 0-16 came against inferior competition, thus you're "worse" and get the tiebreaker.

Would be pretty hilarious to finish the season 0-16 and not be the worst team in the NFL. The Giants should be out of the 0-16 talks after tonight. For those of you who don't know, Peyton and Eli collectively share the same powers and since Peyton lost, Eli will be able to win this week.

Coin flip, right?
Strength of schedule, goes by winning percentage of opponents. Lower means your 0-16 was worse than their 0-16 because your 0-16 came against inferior competition, thus you're "worse" and get the tiebreaker.
Interesting...in that case it'd be almost impossible for the Jags to lose out on the 1st rounder then. They've played the Chiefs, Broncos and Seahawks... almost every game they've played is against a team with a winning record right now. Compared to the Bucs who only played 3 teams with a winning record.

Would be pretty hilarious to finish the season 0-16 and not be the worst team in the NFL. The Giants should be out of the 0-16 talks after tonight. For those of you who don't know, Peyton and Eli collectively share the same powers and since Peyton lost, Eli will be able to win this week.
Everything seems to make sense now...

2011: Peyton doesnt start a single game, Giants win the Super Bowl.

2007: Colts don't play Week 1 of postseason because they have homefield advantage. Giants win R1. Giants play on the same day as the Colts, Giants win and Colts lose. Eli held more powers that day. Goes on to win the Super Bowl harnessing Peyton's half (or 75%) of the inner Manning-light to defeat Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

Coin flip, right?
Interesting...in that case it'd be almost impossible for the Jags to lose out on the 1st rounder then. They've played the Chiefs, Broncos and Seahawks... almost every game they've played is against a team with a winning record right now. Compared to the Bucs who only played 3 teams with a winning record.
That would mean the Jags would NOT get the #1 pick.

Coin flip, right?
That would mean the Jags would NOT get the #1 pick.
Correct, my bad. Hmm interesting. According to the post above, the Giants are currently the #1 pick. Though I doubt they hold steady at 0-16 on the season. But they do benefit by playing in the NFC Least where the best record they may face inside the division is 7-9 on the season.

2007: Colts don't play Week 1 of postseason because they have homefield advantage. Giants win R1. Giants play on the same day as the Colts, Giants win and Colts lose. Eli held more powers that day. Goes on to win the Super Bowl harnessing Peyton's half (or 75%) of the inner Manning-light to defeat Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.
Also, first 5 weeks last year:

Week 1: Giants lose, Broncos win

Week 2: Giants win, Broncos lose

Week 3: Giants win, Broncos lose

Week 4: Giants lose, Broncos win

Week 5: Giants win, Broncos lose

Then after that the Broncos didn't lose a game.

Rumor is they channeled Cooper for the rest of the season...

True Story, Archie Manning is actually an ancient witch doctor. Unfortunately, he had to channel to much energy into making Cooper Manning a successful lawyer after his injuries that knocked him out of football for life. And now he only has enough powers left to allow one of his sons to be dominant week to week.

Well that sucks.

Martin was doing somewhat acceptably. Roughly 11, 14, and 12 points in standard formats the first three weeks and 9.1 last week (week 6) isn't the kind of production that loses you games (though it doesn't win you much either).

Maurice Jones-Drew as an every week starter here I come!

oye

Terribly disappointing sophomore season.
I hope people latch onto this and downgrade Martin.

He wasn't that bad this year. Basically had one nightmare game against Arizona and otherwise played okay.

He wasn't that bad this year. Basically had one nightmare game against Arizona and otherwise played okay.
Running the ball he was decent (over 4 YPC) against everyone except the Cards and Jets. Receiving was another story and he only caught half his targets for 2.7 YPT. Last year his YPT was 6.7.

No, he wasn't that bad. The team is awful. That said, he wasn't that good either. We were putting him up there as an elite RB option and lets me honest, he really isn't. He's a RB on a team with a few elite options around him. Think about other RBs who are vastly out performing him right now and their surrounding casts.

Martin: QB - Josh Freeman, top WR - Vincent Jackson

Charles: QB - Alex Smith, top WR - Dwayne Bowe

AP: QB - Christian Ponder, top WR - Greg Jennings

Bilal Powell: QB - Geno Smith, top WR - Jeremy Kerley???

All of these guys are out performing Martin up to this point... with just as bad if not worse surrounding casts. So while Martin wasn't as bad as his numbers show, I also wouldn't say he's 100% primed for a buy low either. It's possible this ends up being an Olandis Gary situation or something. At the very least, he should have been doing a little bit better than most people thought coming into this season. No dynasty owner is selling him any lower than a Top 5 dynasty RB right now. Even with the injury. And I don't think he's worth that price right now.

All of these guys are out performing Martin up to this point... with just as bad if not worse surrounding casts. So while Martin wasn't as bad as his numbers show, I also wouldn't say he's 100% primed for a buy low either. It's possible this ends up being an Olandis Gary situation or something. At the very least, he should have been doing a little bit better than most people thought coming into this season. No dynasty owner is selling him any lower than a Top 5 dynasty RB right now. Even with the injury. And I don't think he's worth that price right now.
Add in the first round background and the awesome rookie season, and at worst he's a Lynch/Forte type for his career.

If his value drops significantly (late 2nd-mid 3rd round of startups), he'll be a no-brainer buy low in dynasty.

Add in the first round background and the awesome rookie season, and at worst he's a Lynch/Forte type for his career.

If his value drops significantly (late 2nd-mid 3rd round of startups), he'll be a no-brainer buy low in dynasty.
I'd like to know how he's "at worst" a Lynch/Forte type for his career? He has more or less 3 good games in his 22 game career. Every other game he averaged about 70-80 yards and maybe 0.3 TDs per game? Which would say he's... "at worst" a Brandon Jacobs type for his career. Not a Lynch/Forte type.

I'd like to know how he's "at worst" a Lynch/Forte type for his career? He has more or less 3 good games in his 22 game career. Every other game he averaged about 70-80 yards and maybe 0.3 TDs per game? Which would say he's... "at worst" a Brandon Jacobs type for his career. Not a Lynch/Forte type.
He's just a great all-around back. Power, speed, agility, and receiving skills all rolled into one package. Hence the comparisons to Lynch and Forte.

A lot of people don't realize what a big play threat he is. Here are the 2012 NFL leaders in 20+ yard runs:

Peterson - 27

Spiller - 12

Charles - 11

Martin - 11

Foster - 9

Lynch - 9

Newton - 9

Morris - 9

Johnson - 8

Gore - 7

The idea that he's a one-game wonder is totally overblown. Like any RB, he has good weeks and bad weeks, but he was over 4 YPC in 9 of 16 games last season and 4 of 6 games this season. He didn't have a single TD this season and that's what kept his FF numbers down, but he played fine overall. You've got the realize that he's a marked man, Schiano is out of his depth, and the Bucs are one of the WORST passing offenses in the entire NFL. They rank 30 out of 32 teams in passing yards per game. They also rank 31 of 32 teams in points per game. The Bucs are terrible. They don't put Martin in an ideal position to succeed, but he still gets it done because he's that good.

There aren't a lot of legitimate every down backs floating around the NFL these days, so when you find one in FF you've got to hang on tight. Anyone who trades away Martin now for a discount price is making a massive blunder that will haunt them for the next 3-6 years.

The low TDs this year are a combination of variance and the Bucs being horrendous -- Martin still offers the best combination of youth and proven production at RB of any guy currently in the NFL, with the possible exception of LeSean McCoy. He's easily a top five dynasty RB. Try to name 5 guys you'd rather have in a startup (ie assuming you're not in a major "win this year" situation) -- you can't, unless you're reeeeeally stretching.

cstu said:
He's just a great all-around back. Power, speed, agility, and receiving skills all rolled into one package.
Where were these receiving skills this year?
You should ask that to Schiano or Glennon/Freeman.

I mean it's not like Martin can throw the ball to himself.

GroveDiesel said:
JAMES! said:
Anyone want to change the thread title? Thanks.
I don't really trust Schiano at all here. It's certainly not confirmed that he's out for he season, but if I owned Martin I'd probably be planning as if he were.
Schiano has proven himself to be a lying, sack of ####. So, yeah, change the thread title if you want to, but Muscle Hampster is done running the wheel this season.

Ugh, do I or dont I drop......doug.........waste.....of............space............arrrgh

Speaking Monday, Bucs coach Greg Schiano admitted it would be a "stretch" for Doug Martin (shoulder) to play in Week 8, but that the team does not believe his injury is season-ending.
Take it with a grain of salt — this is Greg Schiano we're talking about here — but it's unlikely Schiano would project such positivity if he truly feared Martin's season was over. Of course, Schiano did not provide a timetable for Martin's return, so he should still be considered out indefinitely. Mike James will get the start on Thursday against the Panthers. It's possible Martin's status won't be meaningfully updated until next week.

Source: Roy Cummings on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread