What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Brandon Bostick? TE - GB (1 Viewer)

ldizzle

Footballguy
I didnt realize he was so fast. with finley out he could be a good stash...

Editor's note: I'm happy to promote this to the front page. This is a great look at an under-the-radar player who just might make the team this year.

While the uber-talented Jermichael Finley will continue to attract the attention of defenses, fans and the media, another tight end on the Packers roster is worming his way up from being buried on the depth chart.

If the soon-to-be free agent Finley and the Packers decide to break up at the conclusion of the season, converted wide receiver and 2012 practice squad darling Brandon Bostick is the most dynamic choice to replace him on the roster.

The 6'3" 245-pound speedster dominated the South Atlantic Conference defenders that tried to cover him at Newberry (S.C.) College his senior year. While Bostick only tallied 35 catches for 439 yards in 10 2011 games, seven of those grabs were for touchdowns. (Hey, having wideout speed while lining up at tight end has its benefits.)

At Bostick's 2012 two pro days (at Newberry and at Coastal Carolina), he blazed his 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds and notched a 36-inch vertical jump. For comparison's sake, those measurables would have been best and second-best among tight ends at this year's NFL combine.

After working out and not getting a contract offer from the Jets, Bostick made it all the way to the final cut down in Green Bay last year. Wasting no time (and in a fairly obvious sign that he knew he had a significant talent) GM Ted Thompson signed Bostick to the practice squad as soon as he could.

And Green Bay's new "move" tight end did not disappoint. While toiling on the scout team all season, and being asked to play the roles of Pro Bowl tight ends like the New Orleans Saints' Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis of the San Francisco 49ers, Bostick gave many of his coaches whiplash from turning their heads so much.

The rookie was named Packers Scout Team Player of the Week multiple times. And this was after never even playing tight end in college.

Perhaps the biggest roadblock to success in the NFL though is gaining an opportunity. Fortunately for Bostick, after Finley, Green Bay's tight end depth chart is littered with underwhelming options.

2012 Backup tight end Tom Crabtree bolted for Tampa Bay. 2010 fifth round pick Andrew Quarless can't seem to stay healthy or make enough plays when he is on the field. And 2011 fifth rounder D.J. Williams has only been able to notch nine catches for 70 yards in his professional career.

And when you consider that Thompson did not draft a tight end this year and the other two tight ends on the Packers roster--Matthew Mulligan and Ryan Taylor--are predominantly blockers while Bostick is a pass-catcher, the opportunity is certainly there.

Deep dynasty league fantasy football players should get Bostick on their rosters now. Because the secret will be out on Bostick this season. And with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him, the future is bright for the Division II prospect.
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/5/7/4308490/the-case-for-brandon-bostick

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Packers fan and haven't seen him play, but I'll admit his athletic profile is intriguing. My question qould be whether they simply use Quarless to block more, and use 3-wide sets predominantly with Jones and Nelson wide and Boykin in the slot. Could potentially render Bostick a bit useless...

Any homers care to comment?

surprised there isnt more input, this may be finleys last year as a packer, i wonder if they give him a shot to be the guy next year.

ESPN suggests the Packers could try to use TE Brandon Bostick for some of the seam routes Jermichael Finley ran.

Bostick was a wideout at Newberry College and spent last season on the practice squad. He added some girth so he can play tight end in the NFL and now goes 6'3/250. He got eight snaps against the Browns after Finley went down, but didn't see a target. Bostick is a true "move" tight end and Finley is out indefinitely, so extreme deep leaguers and Dynasty owners should be monitoring his progress. Oct 22 - 8:59 AM

This guy isn't even on NFL.coms fantasy pool of players. I searched for him last week and thought I was misspelling the name. Apparently not. Presume he will be on other fantasy league pools

I actually posted of Bostick earlier and he's been mentioned here in TSP before. It's maybe for future reference, I'm expecting they do indeed rely on Boykin and maybe Jones more... but keep an eye out to see if he appears in the stat line.

Finley - 6-4, 243, 4.66 (Pro Day), 27" vertical, 9-09 broad

Bostick - 6-3, 243, 4.59 (Pro Day), 36" vertical, 10-01 broad

I've had my eye on this guy for awhile but I didn't think he'd get his shot this soon. Definitely talented enough and he claims he's up to 260 now.

Just picked him up. Redraft. Too much potential and too much opportunity with so many GB WRs being beat up.

I was too slow on Julius Thomas in most leagues, and have been slow enough on this guy that I've missed him in a couple of dynasty leagues already but just grabbed him in one this morning. Players like this are perfect stashes for dynasty leagues in my opinion. The sensible odds are that he amounts to nothing, but the slim chance he becomes something has to be better than the 10th WR on a roster

Dynasty/Schminasty. I'm talking redraft. Just FYI ... Finley has a bruised spinal cord ,,, chord. Whatever .... it's bad ... he's done for the year, Cobb ... done for the year. Jones ... banged up. Who else is there... Boykins?

Dynasty/Schminasty. I'm talking redraft. Just FYI ... Finley has a bruised spinal cord ,,, chord. Whatever .... it's bad ... he's done for the year, Cobb ... done for the year. Jones ... banged up. Who else is there... Boykins?
When Finley went down a few years ago Martin and Crabtree amounted to crap and they were a wide open offense. They can run now but are limited at WR. Interesting situation. He should be a last resort option at TE but what the heck do I know. Grab him now if you have room and see what he does this week.

When Finley went down a few years ago Martin and Crabtree amounted to crap and they were a wide open offense. They can run now but are limited at WR. Interesting situation. He should be a last resort option at TE but what the heck do I know. Grab him now if you have room and see what he does this week.
Bostick .... is a whole different animal.

A simple opinion on his value in redraft AND dynasty is all I was looking for
Yeah well ... it's not that simple ... sorry.

What does anybody know about Quarless .... or whatever his name is ... is he real competition?

Redraft. Right now.

I don't disagree, but we all know Finley can't catch and if he was all that he would have been playing a lot.

I don't disagree, but we all know Finley can't catch and if he was all that he would have been playing a lot.
I never liked Finley as a fantasy TE. Possibly because of the passes that seemed to hit him right in the face were uncatchable. Always overated, in fantasy. This Bostick kid ... could be just what the Doctor ordered for that passing game.

I never liked Finley as a fantasy TE. Possibly because of the passes that seemed to hit him right in the face were uncatchable. Always overated, in fantasy. This Bostick kid ... could be just what the Doctor ordered for that passing game.
It comes down to if Rodgers trusts him enough to throw to him more than 2 times a game if he can get open and block.

What the hell happened in here. I thought we were discussing a player named Bostick.

FWIW all discussion is applicable whether it be redraft or dynasty. The chest thumping...not so much.

Back to Bostick, shall we?

I think he has a lot of skills in a pass happy offense that needs TE's that can catch. That would be my one big question, can he catch ... and his basketball background would suggest that he could.

I got him this week for much less than the guy who got Quarless. High reward player ... if things go right.

I apologize for the rambling that follows, please understand that I am passionate about a good Tight End.

I think, and even though it is not official ... Jermichael Finley will not be playing football again this year. So, there's a lot off opportunity there, all of a sudden for Quarless ... seems like a blocking TE to me ... and Bostick. A guy who was athletic enough to play both football and basketball in college.

If I am off in my evaluation ... please ... go right ahead. I want to know more.

Ok with that so far?

Ok, Randall Cobb is also lost for the season, Greg Jennings went to the Vikings, James Jones is dinged up ... seems to me like that might be an ideal situation for a dynamic athlete to step up.

I could be wrong. I am not saying that you should start Bostick this week. I am starting Fasano over him. But, I think you better get him while he's cheap, too.

Yeah ... Fasano. Moeki is done ... McGrath was 3rd string ... Anthony Fasano ... starting TE for the best team in the NFL with a QB that never throws deep and WRs that suck.

So cheap right now. Thank me later.

Bostick could turn out to be something...but...why was he buried behind all these guys (Finley, Quarless, even Ryan Taylor was in there before Bostick and he is mostly a special teamer)

I like the kid in future years...but:

1. Jones may be back even this week. If not, next week highly likely.

2. Cobb is not done for the year necessarily...for FF purposes, he might as well be since he is not eligible til week 15.

3. Rodgers seems to trust the WRs more right now.

4. Quarless likely getting first cracks as long as he stays healthy.

Picked up Bostick to fill in gates bye week. Cumberland is available, but I'm thinking about rolling the dice with The rookie. Redraft league so upside must be this week.

I could be wrong. I am not saying that you should start Bostick this week. I am starting Fasano over him. But, I think you better get him while he's cheap, too.

Yeah ... Fasano. Moeki is done ... McGrath was 3rd string ... Anthony Fasano ... starting TE for the best team in the NFL with a QB that never throws deep and WRs that suck.

So cheap right now. Thank me later.
Some relevant information about Fasano in week 7:

Anthony Fasano (Chiefs vs Texans): 11-yard reception to the 1

Anthony Fasano (Chiefs vs Texans): 6-yard reception to the 1

Dude, finish completing your own thought before posting. Sounds like you're arguing with yourself over who loves this guy more.

sho nuff said:
Bostick could turn out to be something...but...why was he buried behind all these guys (Finley, Quarless, even Ryan Taylor was in there before Bostick and he is mostly a special teamer)

2. Cobb is not done for the year necessarily...for FF purposes, he might as well be since he is not eligible til week 15.

Bostick was burried on practice squad because

A. he can't block

B. he needed to add weight

C. converted wr to te

D. Finley was already the pass catching TE option in offense

So if he cant block and not in shape/size to be a TE, then they'll develop him

sho nuff said:

A. he can't block

C. converted wr to te

Agreed...I think they will develop him...but more cautioning the redraft guys this year gushing about to temper their expectations on a guy not even sure to get any real playing time for a little while.

Both Bostick and Quarless are available as FAs in my league. Is Quarless the no-brainer pickup, or is he more of the low-ceiling guy while Bostick has the higher one worth taking a risk on? I picked up Bostick right now, but am torn between the two. I'm pretty confident one of them will be a hot waiver-add next week for leagues that didn't take notice.

Redraft btw.

Both Bostick and Quarless are available as FAs in my league. Is Quarless the no-brainer pickup, or is he more of the low-ceiling guy while Bostick has the higher one worth taking a risk on? I picked up Bostick right now, but am torn between the two. I'm pretty confident one of them will be a hot waiver-add next week for leagues that didn't take notice.

Redraft btw.
Im of the opinion that Bostick probably has that higher ceiling as you say.

But...I don't think either will be consistent FF players this season.

I think the bump goes to the WRs.

Redraft btw.
Was honestly about to ask the same thing. Wasn't Quarless the original "next Finley," only he then tore up his knee and was working his way back. Certainly seems like he's getting first crack at it.

Quarless is the blocking TE. He has an extremely low ceiling. Bostick is a move TE like Finley or Jordan Reed. If you are looking for someone for consistent points I would get Cumberland/Fasano. Bostick is a high ceiling guy who could be gold. I would stash him if you have a dead spot on your roster. I managed to snake Reed on waivers this week and have Fleener on the bench or I would have grabbed him. Hell, I would have still dropped Fleener for him if Wayne hadn't torn his ACL.

sho nuff said:

A. he can't block

C. converted wr to te

Agreed...I think they will develop him...but more cautioning the redraft guys this year gushing about to temper their expectations on a guy not even sure to get any real playing time for a little while.
I picked him up a week early but not really expecting too much. We still don't know what the deal is with Finley, may be out for the yr or may only miss a month or so. Also Finley is going to chase the $$ and return to football next yr, due to this injury plagued yr hes not going to get the deal hes been wanting and may settle for a short-term deal with the Pack so he can attempt to prove himself. So big picture, this Finley injury may less Bostick dynasty stock instead of increasing it. I think us dynasty Bostick owners are going deal with Finley's return and have to hope for Bostick to over take Finley ala Reed is over taking Davis.

Finley coming back this year isn't going to earn him any more money. The best thing for him would be to heal and get ready for next season.

Dropped Finley and picked up Fleener and Bostick on ww. Fleener's on a bye so I'm excited to see if Bostick can tear up my Vikes, who traditionally are terrible against TEs.

3-49, 1 TD on a seam route. All-in for this week! :crazy:

Quarless is the blocking TE. He has an extremely low ceiling. Bostick is a move TE like Finley or Jordan Reed. If you are looking for someone for consistent points I would get Cumberland/Fasano. Bostick is a high ceiling guy who could be gold. I would stash him if you have a dead spot on your roster. I managed to snake Reed on waivers this week and have Fleener on the bench or I would have grabbed him. Hell, I would have still dropped Fleener for him if Wayne hadn't torn his ACL.
I'm curious where you get that he is a purely blocking TE. Is that your observation or have you heard or read that somewhere? I've always thought that, while he is a pretty good blocker, he is also a capable receiver with good hands and decent speed.

IMO, Quarless is probably the safe play here. Admittedly, I don't know much about Bostick. He may indeed have the higher ceiling, but he also has the much lower floor. For one thing, Quarless will for sure be getting playing time. He's a good blocker and knows the system well, both of which will keep him on the field. I don't think he's a purely blocking TE either. While he is definitely a step back from Finley as a receiver, I've seen him play and he does have pretty decent hands and speed. I don't think he has the speed to make big plays down field, but I do think he'll do pretty well on intermediate routes and may actually put up some points in a ppr.

I'm curious where you get that he is a purely blocking TE. Is that your observation or have you heard or read that somewhere? I've always thought that, while he is a pretty good blocker, he is also a capable receiver with good hands and decent speed.

IMO, Quarless is probably the safe play here. Admittedly, I don't know much about Bostick. He may indeed have the higher ceiling, but he also has the much lower floor. For one thing, Quarless will for sure be getting playing time. He's a good blocker and knows the system well, both of which will keep him on the field. I don't think he's a purely blocking TE either. While he is definitely a step back from Finley as a receiver, I've seen him play and he does have pretty decent hands and speed. I don't think he has the speed to make big plays down field, but I do think he'll do pretty well on intermediate routes and may actually put up some points in a ppr.
not a GB homer and haven't seen Quarless play too much, but from what I've seen is very very avg. But right now he his the safe play.

not a GB homer and haven't seen Quarless play too much, but from what I've seen is very very avg. But right now he his the safe play.
I am not a GB homer but as a Bears fan, I am an interested party! Quarless has been in the league since 2010 with a total of 28 catches in that time. I know he was out with injury in 2012 but still averaging 1 catch per game over that span is not really screaming he is anything other than a blocking TE. Finley has been very erratic as a pass catcher all those years and he has never been able to press for more targets in the passing game in GB? I don't see Bosticks floor as being that much lower than Quarless and the ceiling would seem to be very much higher. I wouldn't be surprised if Quarless does better in the this coming game but I definitely see Bostick as a better long term answer to the TE position in GB. Just my :2cents: .

Judging by all the off season trade interest in Bostick, that tells me something. Teams know this kid has talent and he is going to get an opportunity. I see a seam route early on, and if he earns some trust, who knows maybe we are seeing the next successful Bball convert to TE. I agree Quarless had his opportunities with Finley dinged and inconsistent. Show us what you got Bostick!!!

I am not a GB homer but as a Bears fan, I am an interested party! Quarless has been in the league since 2010 with a total of 28 catches in that time. I know he was out with injury in 2012 but still averaging 1 catch per game over that span is not really screaming he is anything other than a blocking TE. Finley has been very erratic as a pass catcher all those years and he has never been able to press for more targets in the passing game in GB? I don't see Bosticks floor as being that much lower than Quarless and the ceiling would seem to be very much higher. I wouldn't be surprised if Quarless does better in the this coming game but I definitely see Bostick as a better long term answer to the TE position in GB. Just my :2cents: .
I wouldn't say that Quarless is just a blocking TE as much as Bostick was kept on the team for his receiving skills and is more likely to be involved in the passing game.

Finley coming back this year isn't going to earn him any more money. The best thing for him would be to heal and get ready for next season.
I disagree; sure teams will understand if he sits out the rest of the yr but they will hold it against him when it comes contract time, while if he does make it back it'll give his agent something to brag about.

I've been debating on this all week.. I really need a TE this week with Bennett out, Quarless and Bostick were on the waivers. I grabbed Quarless in FCFS, but reading this made me reconsider dropping him for Bostick.

After some research, I dug up this local article. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/andrew-quarless-reluctantly-accepts-promotion-b99126796z1-229033111.html

I ended up dumping another dynasty prospect and picking up Bostick also just in case he blows up, but I think with the emotion and what reads to be a friend wanting to "do right" by his buddy, I am rolling with Quarless this week. I still don't know that's the best decision, but that's how I'm rolling this week.

Users who are viewing this thread