What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenny Stills Train ..... (2 Viewers)

Kenny Stills caught four passes for 53 yards in Week 9 against the Jaguars.

Stills ran as the No. 2 receiver with Will Fuller out again this week. He had an 18-yard catch early but wasn't need down the field with the Texans nursing a second half lead. Stills has just seven catches for 75 scoreless yards over the last two games. The Texans are on a bye this week, but Fuller isn't a lock to be back in Week 11.

Nov 3, 2019, 1:49 PM ET

Kenny Stills caught 3-of-4 targets for 61 yards and a touchdown in Week 13 against the Patriots.

Stills got open deep for a 35-yard touchdown - his first since Week 1. He had a bad drop on one of his targets in the middle of the field, but this a step forward after getting held under 30 yards in three of the last five games. Stills shouldn't be on fantasy radars for a Week 14 matchup with the Broncos.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Aaron Reiss believes Kenny Stills is the likely "odd man out" among Texans wideouts.

The Texans signed Randall Cobb and traded the No. 57 overall pick in this year's draft for Brandin Cooks, joining them with Will Fuller to be Houston's new three-wide set following the trade of DeAndre Hopkins.  Stills is entering the final year of his contract with a $7 million cap number, all of which can be cleared with a release or trade.  Houston likely would have been better off just not signing Cobb and keeping Stills, but they're here now.  Trading Stills would likely only net a late-rounder.  He turns 28 next week.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 15, 2020, 9:42 AM ET

I think the odd man out is Will Fuller. The team sounded frustrated with his ongoing health problems by the end of last year and it's hard to blame them. 

The way I see it Cooks easily finishes WR#1, Stills finishes solidly WR#2, Fuller/Cobb fight to end the season WR#3 depending on who can stay healthy, and Coutee probably is traded for a bag of magic beans before the season ever begins. 

In the past few months HOU has brought in Cooks/Stills/Cobb and I don't think it's because they have a lot of faith in Fuller/Coutee. There's a non-zero chance that Coutee gets shipped out and the new "dog house" position goes to Fuller if (when?) he gets injured again. The past three seasons Fuller has averaged playing in just over 9 games/season. I actually like Fuller... he just can't stay on the field. That's why it amazes me that everyone thinks that Cooks is the injury prone one if you look over his very productive career.

Time to disembark...

Texans WR Kenny Stills was arrested during a protest outside of Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron's home.

Stills was part of a group of more than 100 who marched to Cameron's home in Louisville as part of a Breonna Taylor protest organized by Until Freedom on Tuesday. Minneapolis NAACP President Leslie Redmond and reality TV stars Porsha Williams and Yandy Smith were also among those arrested. Stills was charged with a felony of being an intimidating participant in a legal process, misdemeanor disorderly conduct, and criminal trespassing.

Time to disembark...

Texans WR Kenny Stills was arrested during a protest outside of Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron's home.

Stills was part of a group of more than 100 who marched to Cameron's home in Louisville as part of a Breonna Taylor protest organized by Until Freedom on Tuesday. Minneapolis NAACP President Leslie Redmond and reality TV stars Porsha Williams and Yandy Smith were also among those arrested. Stills was charged with a felony of being an intimidating participant in a legal process, misdemeanor disorderly conduct, and criminal trespassing.
Based on what I've read -- which is admittedly probably incomplete -- this sounds like a ludicrous over-charge.  

It sure did. Nobody should construe this endorsement or non-endorsement of Stills, but interfering with a witness is certainly not a charge that was meant to cover this type of behavior. 
Correct. 

Also don't like the gathering of people outside a public official's house, but protests gonna protest.  
Back in the day they would have pelted the resident with rotten fruit, or perhaps tarred & feathered them. 

Simply standing outside of someone’s home seems pretty civil, comparatively. 

Texans placed WR Kenny Stills on the active/NFI list.

Stills likely couldn't pass his physical after reporting to training camp. It's a bad sign for his conditioning in a contract year. Owed a non-guaranteed $7 million behind Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, and Randall Cobb, Stills isn't a final roster lock. 

RELATED: 

Isaiah Coulter

, Keke Coutee

SOURCE: Houston Chronicle

Aug 7, 2020, 5:04 PM ET

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said it shouldn't be "too much longer" before Kenny Stills is available to practice.

Stills opened training camp on the NFI list, but it's not clear why he's sidelined. It's been a rough offseason for Stills, who was arrested during a protest in April and is entering a contract year. Stills isn't a roster lock behind Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb, and fifth-rounder Isaiah Coulter.

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 15, 2020, 11:26 AM ET

Texans activated WR Kenny Stills from the active/NFI list.

Stills is now able to get some crucial practice looks in as he battles Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, and Randall Cobb for a top spot on Houston's depth chart. He's likely to slot in behind all three and play a reserve role this year. Fifth-rounder Isaiah Coulter has an outside chance of surpassing Stills as well. He turned 28 years old this offseason.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Aug 16, 2020, 5:04 PM ET

Texans WR Kenny Stills (illness) is expected to play in Week 3 against the Steelers.

Stills hasn't been heavily involved in the Houston offense despite the absence of DeAndre Hopkins. He's played on less than half of the team's snaps on offense and has just five targets on the year. Stills will continue to serve as a complementary piece to Brandin Cooks, Will Fuller, and Randall Cobb. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 27, 2020, 8:20 AM ET

With all the Will Fuller trade talk, might be a good idea to snag Stills.  Watson looking good and lots of targets to go around in that offense

Apologies to all. I read both Will Fuller and Kelly Stills names in this thread and heard both of their hamstrings tear in the process. Both out for the year per Shefty.

Chiefs should sign him. I was not a fan of him in Miami but the guy can run fly patterns. He runs his mouth too much and has terrible observations he thinks everyone wants to hear about...that said how could the Chiefs not take a look? Watkins can't stay on the field and Hardman just cannot get traction. 

If they could sign Bell they can sign Stills. 

This move seems even stranger with Fuller gone for ROY.  I guess Texans are in full rebuild mode and want to see what they have in Coulter

How has he not been claimed?

Seems productive...at least as depth.  I mean Id rather have him in GB over EQ St Brown or Malik Taylor.

Yeah this is weird. I had read he would be claimed as early as Thursday... has anyone heard about him visiting teams? I don't think he'd have to work out; teams could just watch his in-season tape.

Chiefs should sign him. I was not a fan of him in Miami but the guy can run fly patterns. He runs his mouth too much and has terrible observations he thinks everyone wants to hear about...that said how could the Chiefs not take a look? Watkins can't stay on the field and Hardman just cannot get traction. 

If they could sign Bell they can sign Stills. 
I dunno, the first three teams I thought of were....

BUF - First place in the division and John Brown is on IR. Seems to me Stills would be plug and play to fill that role and make the D respect the deep pass while Diggs/Beasley do the real damage in the intermediate/short game.

CLE - In the playoffs if they started today and KhaDarel Hodge is their WR#3. In any run heavy offense just having a deep threat that scares the S's away from the LOS is a huge benefit even if you only actually take a few shots a game to keep them honest.

WAS - They might end up winning this division and supposedly the reason they are going with Alex Smith is because they were trying to win games right now. Stills might step onto the field and immediately be the #2 receiver on the team. I thought Dontrell Inman's career had winded down to a dead stop and he's in the mix in WAS because the receivers are so bad.

lac - Herbert throws a pretty deep ball and good luck finding anything close to a WR#3 on that roster. If Stills was less interested in winning but just wanted the chance to pile up some stats to get a contract next year in a Breshad Perryman sort of way teaming with Herbert and his arm gives him the best chance to resuscitate his career. With injuries and covid who knows what could happen to your role in a week or two?

IMO if any of these teams are worried about Stills having a negative impact on their locker room it reflects just how fragile these coaches confidence are in themselves. There is really ONLY upside and if Stills is even late to a meeting drop him.

BUF - First place in the division and John Brown is on IR. Seems to me Stills would be plug and play to fill that role and make the D respect the deep pass while Diggs/Beasley do the real damage in the intermediate/short game.
I don't want to hear about any design to take touches away from Gabriel Davis.  I don't need that kind of negativity from this forum! 🤣

rockaction said:
I don't think most teams can accommodate his in-season protest schedule.

The Frankman said:
Then the teams that need a WR are being stupid if that's their reasoning.
Somewhere between these two positions or thoughts is the right answer. I do think that teams would think twice about Stills and here is why, Kenny decided to shame the owner Ross for his affiliation politically and did it in a very disrespectful manner thru social media, Head Coach Brian Flores went after him thru training camp and then shipped him to Houston, those are simply the facts. Frank, I think I understand what you are saying but I would offer up this, the NFL is a tight group, 32 Owners might not see eye to eye all the time but you have owners like Jerry Jones trying to expand the brand by spearheading theRams going to Los Angeles, the Stadium etc...they look out for each other and they speak the same language. None of those 32 owners want to be embarrassed by an employee. 

Now you can say they are being stupid and many will agree with you but this is a situation where the production just doesn't add up to the potential headaches. 

He's not a WR1, not sure he's really a WR2, he only averages around 2-3 catches a game most weeks even when he was a name, his production is through the floor and so is he better than most WR4/5 types on teams? Where do you think he is an insta-fit? Yeah, he's a little better or maybe better than a few places you can point to but he's not going to change the arc of an NFL team and there might be guys walking the streets about as good as he is at this stage of his career.

He had a 2-3 year run after New Orleans showed him the door where he wasn't facing great competition in Miami, it was a lousy roster not deep with very accomplished skills guys and Still kinda fleeced the Phins for $32 MIllion. He's never eclipsed 1,000 yds that I can recall or had a steady diet of 60+ catch seasons which is less than 4 a game and he doesn't come close. He is a specialty gadget type you throw long to a few times a game and hope to get lucky, he's not dominant and he doesn't move sticks. 

Sincerely,

Jaded Phinsfan

I'm saying they are stupid if the team desperately needs WR help, they can fit it in the cap, but go "Nah let's not sign him because politics". It's moronic; owners aren't boy scouts either considering Kraft is getting away with child sex trafficking and it got swept under the rug because of money. Realistically, Houston was not a good location because of BOB and the WR depth. A change of scenery will do him good.

Off topic, please don't mention that fleecing of St. Louis as "expanding the brand". That was a shameful display of owner greed in moving a franchise with loyal fans to a market that didn't need another LA team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stills will collect the balance of his $7 million dollar salary this year by filing for termination pay and will have made $32 million over the last 4 years. He may not be interested in collecting a few game checks at the veteran's minimum.

Stills will collect the balance of his $7 million dollar salary this year by filing for termination pay and will have made $32 million over the last 4 years. He may not be interested in collecting a few game checks at the veteran's minimum.
That's an excellent point. 

Bills signed WR Kenny Stills to the practice squad. 

Stills had to settle for practice squad work after a market failed to develop following his release from the Texans, though it could be a short stay on the taxi squad. Whether or not Stills gets promoted for Saturday's Wild Card showdown with the Colts could depend on Cole Beasley's (knee) status. Capable of providing immediate help both inside and out, Stills is an excellent reinforcement/back-up plan for this craziest of years.

- Rotoworld

This move was made about a month too late. Stills could have been absorbing the playbook all this time and maybe even getting some practice in if circumstances would have fallen just right for him.

Users who are viewing this thread