What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The "I'm starting Roy Helu Jr. vs. the Broncos" thread (1 Viewer)

cpd90

Footballguy
Washington has demonstrated that they will go to the "turbo" package whenever in hurry-up mode. Alfred Morris comes off, and Roy Helu is the primary back in this package. Of course, this will cause the masses to run wild proclaiming Helu as the new starter. Not so. But this week? It's a distinct possibility.

Washington has been torched by everyone. Does anyone see any reason why they would stop Manning and the Broncos?

They fall behind early, and Helu sees plenty of playing time, making him a fantastic PPR play.

All aboard! :drive:

I'm starting him in multiple leagues because of this exact consideration.
I thought I was alone for a while there...starting him in multiple leagues as well and over Morris in the one in which I own both.

Maybe I'm crazy, but a "14-0" score keeps flashing in my head with 8 minutes left in the 1st quarter. Alf has been fantastic but Shanny just won't feature him if that happens.

I'm starting him in multiple leagues because of this exact consideration.
I thought I was alone for a while there...starting him in multiple leagues as well and over Morris in the one in which I own both.

Maybe I'm crazy, but a "14-0" score keeps flashing in my head with 8 minutes left in the 1st quarter. Alf has been fantastic but Shanny just won't feature him if that happens.
I think they still run Morris at that point. Keeping Peyton off the field is going to be a significant part of this week's game plan, which will require establishing the run. 14-0 is not panic time. 28-0 would be a different story.

I think they still run Morris at that point. Keeping Peyton off the field is going to be a significant part of this week's game plan, which will require establishing the run. 14-0 is not panic time. 28-0 would be a different story.
What you say makes sense as strategy, but the Redskins have a recent history of pushing the panic button way too fast and abandoning the running game with Morris.

I am starting him in a couple leagues.

I don't have many other options so it's kind of a 'forced hand' deal, but there's always the WW/FA so I guess I have some faith in Helu this week...for the reasons given in OP

Wow, if you forced to start him your FF team is in trouble
#### happens.

I'm in a pretty competitively managed 12 teamer where I'm starting Helu as my flex this week. I took Doug Martin and Julio Jones in the first two rounds, so a flex guy this week after injuries and byes is tough to come by

Conversely, I have a team where I WISH I could start Helu. 16 teams with a flex and 10 deep benches. The Waiver Wire has NOTHING

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 6-1, first place, with Manning, Green, Cameron, Blackmon. My team is doing fine, and I'm not forced into this at all.

Like many others, I think this is simply a good move. If you can spot them, go for it.

Yea I'm probably starting Helu as my rb2 this week. With Chris Johnson on bye and Vereen still injured i'm left to choose between Helu and Ellington. Luckily I have solid WRs to start in my flex position (Gordon and Amendola)

Following the touches/snaps

can we just suspend people who post the ol' "if you have to start ____, your team is in trouble/sucks/etc"

It's old and tiresome
I could live with it if it wasn't asinine, as is the case here.
While I have given my rationale, you have not. Why is it asinine to assume that Helu will get plenty of snaps, making him a viable RB2/flex this week? If you want to have a conversation about it, or at least try to show me why I am incorrect, I'm all ears.

Most high stakes leagues have the same 6 teams off this weekend. We can't wait around waiting for Jamaal Charles to become available on the waiver wire.

How would Helu not be viable this weekend? 21st on FBG Cheatsheet.

Most high stakes leagues have the same 6 teams off this weekend. We can't wait around waiting for Jamaal Charles to become available on the waiver wire.

How would Helu not be viable this weekend? 21st on FBG Cheatsheet.
these 6 team bye weeks, coupled with injuries are going to make some teams start less than desirable players

can we just suspend people who post the ol' "if you have to start ____, your team is in trouble/sucks/etc"

It's old and tiresome
While I have given my rationale, you have not. Why is it asinine to assume that Helu will get plenty of snaps, making him a viable RB2/flex this week? If you want to have a conversation about it, or at least try to show me why I am incorrect, I'm all ears.
I'm on your side here, GB. I think Helu is a great start as a RB2/flex this week.

It's old and tiresome
I'm on your side here, GB. I think Helu is a great start as a RB2/flex this week.
Sorry, had you mixed up with "Gopher State" :blush:

I was gonna say you're chasing points, but you make a good point. Helu is the better receiving back and he might be used often in game which they will likely have to throw.

Over the last three games, Helu's gotten 15, 10, and 12 touches, with 4 touchdowns. Morris has been at 16, 16, and 19 touches. Two things to consider: 1) this was after Kyle Shanahan said they wanted to get Helu more involved, and 2) Morris's carries have also trended up as the Washington offense has rounded into shape.

The result is that both RBs have value. Helu isn't just a consideration for flex duty this week; I think that particularly with the injuries that have hit the FF landscape that he's a great Rb3/flex to roll out there in upcoming weeks, especially with the Washington defense struggling to contain the opposition. They face plus offenses against Denver, San Diego, and the Eagles in three out of the next four weeks. Those all look like good matchups.

Over the last three games, Helu's gotten 15, 10, and 12 touches, with 4 touchdowns. Morris has been at 16, 16, and 19 touches. Two things to consider: 1) this was after Kyle Shanahan said they wanted to get Helu more involved, and 2) Morris's carries have also trended up as the Washington offense has rounded into shape.

The result is that both RBs have value. Helu isn't just a consideration for flex duty this week; I think that particularly with the injuries that have hit the FF landscape that he's a great Rb3/flex to roll out there in upcoming weeks, especially with the Washington defense struggling to contain the opposition. They face plus offenses against Denver, San Diego, and the Eagles in three out of the next four weeks. Those all look like good matchups.
Did some math. In six games, Helu has 31 attempts for 129 yards and 4 TDs rushing and 12 receptions for 131 yards on 17 targets. He's averaging 7.17 touches per game (carries + receptions). His points per touch is 1.16 (non PPR)! By comparison, Knowshon averages .91 and Charles .81 points per touch.

Helu is averaging .67 TDs per game. Charles and Moreno each average 1.14 (each has 8 TDs in 7 games).

The 3 TDs were flukish beyond all means- WAS had first and goals but did not choose to bring in Morris. I was honestly disappointed with Helu in terms of the way he looks running the ball- Morris ran a 4.7 and still looks faster in game action.

Morris got knocked out of the Oakland game with hurt ribs in that first 16 carry game listed. Helu took over for him, and that was the first game of the season that Helu got extended play. I've noticed in the two games that have followed, Morris will signal to the sideline for a breather. Morris and Helu both have their strengths. Morris is a better between the tackles zone runner, and he has better vision to make cuts. He also gets better as the game goes on. Helu is better catching the ball, and he can accelerate quickly with his speed. His speed works well against opposing D's when they are tired, or to catch them off guard. Then there is Griffin lll who also is going to run the ball. Morris and Griffin are the primary runners, and Helu will continue to be the third down back, and the back used as a receiver when they are catching up, or want to catch another team off guard with his speed (like they did at the GL last game). I think Denver is second against the run, but Washington can mix it up with their running game so maybe they will have some success.

The 3 TDs were flukish beyond all means- WAS had first and goals but did not choose to bring in Morris. I was honestly disappointed with Helu in terms of the way he looks running the ball- Morris ran a 4.7 and still looks faster in game action.
Sounds like a Morris fan that has a little bias going on here. I think both Morris and Helu both look equally fine in there running ability. Morris is more the power and Helu has more elusiveness to him. Both have roles in the current offense. Let's just face the facts.

The Fact more is this:

I'm in a 24 team 1/2 pt PPR Dyn League. And have Trent Richardson RB, and D.Wilson. I really have no choice but to start Helu as my RB this week. :(

On a side note. The Team in my league I'm playing has A.Morris and I have Helu. Be interesting to see who scores more points. I see Morris getting 75 yds and a TD and Helu getting like 30 rushing yards and 40-60 rec yards and maybe a TD if I'm lucky. :)

Morris got knocked out of the Oakland game with hurt ribs in that first 16 carry game listed. Helu took over for him, and that was the first game of the season that Helu got extended play. I've noticed in the two games that have followed, Morris will signal to the sideline for a breather. Morris and Helu both have their strengths. Morris is a better between the tackles zone runner, and he has better vision to make cuts. He also gets better as the game goes on. Helu is better catching the ball, and he can accelerate quickly with his speed. His speed works well against opposing D's when they are tired, or to catch them off guard. Then there is Griffin lll who also is going to run the ball. Morris and Griffin are the primary runners, and Helu will continue to be the third down back, and the back used as a receiver when they are catching up, or want to catch another team off guard with his speed (like they did at the GL last game). I think Denver is second against the run, but Washington can mix it up with their running game so maybe they will have some success.
What's interesting is that Helu is also your prototypical ZBS RB (suits his strengths perfectly) as well and although Morris is a bit better running between the tackles Helu is no slouch himself. IMO Helu is the well rounded back of this pair and if he every got a chance at 20 touches he'd be a no brainer RB1 regardless of the format.

I'm quite pissed honestly, as I have to face him in my big money league this week. I think he'll have a good day.

Sitting on Spiller, Murray, and I dropped Bell week whatever.. Someone toss me a shirt
You dropped Le'Veon Bell? At what point was that remotely a good decision? He was expected to miss only a few games then come back to be the bell cow.

Yikes.

All things considered it is difficult to start a back up running back in a game that their team is expected to lose.
Helu is used as a receiver out of the backfield so he will be involved plenty if Washington is behind.
Last week he had 1 catch for 5 yards. I own him as a handcuff to Morris and I want to use him as a Flex but common sense keeps getting in the way. It seems more likely that Washington leans heavily on the run using the read option with an increasingly healthy RG3 and Morris for the entire first half atleast. So your banking on RG3 to pull an Alex Smith and start dumping it off to Helu in garbage time. Leaning heavily on Reed and taking deep shots to Garcon seems more likely. All this hype is based off of last weeks 3 touchdown effort against a Bears team that was decimated by injuries. Helu has a ton of talent and would be great for fantasy if he got all the touches in Washington. But I have a hard time seeing how he will put up a better line than he did against Dallas in week 6.

All things considered it is difficult to start a back up running back in a game that their team is expected to lose.
Helu is used as a receiver out of the backfield so he will be involved plenty if Washington is behind.
Last week he had 1 catch for 5 yards. I own him as a handcuff to Morris and I want to use him as a Flex but common sense keeps getting in the way. It seems more likely that Washington leans heavily on the run using the read option with an increasingly healthy RG3 and Morris for the entire first half atleast. So your banking on RG3 to pull an Alex Smith and start dumping it off to Helu in garbage time. Leaning heavily on Reed and taking deep shots to Garcon seems more likely. All this hype is based off of last weeks 3 touchdown effort against a Bears team that was decimated by injuries. Helu has a ton of talent and would be great for fantasy if he got all the touches in Washington. But I have a hard time seeing how he will put up a better line than he did against Dallas in week 6.
Why? They seem pretty willing to go to their "turbo" package early and often if they fall behind. That package makes Helu the lead back, where he's just as dangerous as Morris with the added benefit of catching passes.

cpd90 said:
discountdoublecheck said:
drfeelgood said:
discountdoublecheck said:
Why? They seem pretty willing to go to their "turbo" package early and often if they fall behind. That package makes Helu the lead back, where he's just as dangerous as Morris with the added benefit of catching passes.
To keep Manning off of the field. The "turbo" package is fast paced, meant to score quickly. Washington knows they have issues stopping the pass. Also without the TDs Helu would have scored 4 pts last week. Denver hasn't allowed a RB to score multiple TDs all season.

I have Morris on 1 team, and Helu on 3. I keep thinking that Helu is a good start this week. However, we are really banking on Denver jumping out way in front at the start of the game. I just don't know that will be the case. Defense's have started realizing... finally... that if you use press coverage and take away the 5-10 yard quick strikes from Manning... that Denver's offense slows down considerably. Manning doesn't have a great arm anymore, and he isn't torching people with deep passes. His success was coming from quick passes, where his receivers would rack up serious YAC. Now... Denver may jump ahead, and they might not.... However, I am really nervous about expecting too much from Helu considering that Washington may try to pound the ball with Morris in order to keep Manning on the sidelines. If Washington does this... there is a good chance that Denver doesn't jump out to a huge lead.

Of course it's all a guessing game, and one way you look at it Helu seems like a surefire bet to reap the rewards of a trailing team in a hurry up offense... and on the other end he seems like he will have to do something great with limited touches if Washington has success running the ball early.

Still... Helu has been getting a decent amount of touches on a weekly bases to where it would be safe to start him anyways, considering that he will at least give you some pts.

Users who are viewing this thread