What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Jones (1 Viewer)

uniman4

Footballguy
I have waited on this guy in quite a few dynasty leagues.

Good to see he is FINALLY showing some value and rewarding his loyal followers.

He was a Waldman guy.

I have waited on this guy in quite a few dynasty leagues.

Good to see he is FINALLY showing some value and rewarding his loyal followers.

He was a Waldman guy.
Had him on my watch list since after the game last week. Decided to get a bit hectic and cut bait on Hakeem Nicks this morning and picked up Marvin Jones and plugged him in before the early games started.

4 for 90 with 2 TDs right now towards the end of the 2nd quarter. Absolutely satisfied with what I considered to be a somewhat questionable decision that I made this morning.

Grabbed him off the wire this week only to "play it safe" and go with Hartline. :wall:

P.S. ... and yes. I will keep you updated on my team. ;)

I just traded for him in two Dyno leagues based on what bloom said. I don't expect anything like this again but this kid can be a top 20 WR. I'm happy.

Listening to Bloom, he talked about Keenan Allen, Jordan Reed, Kenny Stills, Marvin Jones. Think I'm gonna stop listening and hear him/take action instead.

He inexplicably fell in the draft and was touted by Bloom and Waldman. Many thought he would overtake Sanu last year easily, but when he finally got on the field he fought knee and shoulder injuries. Today's performance was a fluke in terms of TDs, but he's clearly become a favorite target of Dalton--just as he was starting to at the end of last year--and in the last three weeks has gone 3-71, 4-57, and 8-122 with 6 touchdowns on 5, 6, and 8 targets. He's made many extremely acrobatic catches, gets red zone looks (obviously) and isn't simply catching garbage yards. Seems like a great person to plug into your WR3 spot.

Guy in my league picked him up earlier in the week then cut him like 2 days later, I guess due to injury he had. As an AJ Green owner I opted not to grab him even though I could use a shot in the arm for my team of underachievers. Was not keen on idea of starting 2 WR on same team. Boy was I wrong. Guess this is why I'm on my way to a 3rd straight loss and a 3-5 record.

He inexplicably fell in the draft and was touted by Bloom and Waldman. Many thought he would overtake Sanu last year easily, but when he finally got on the field he fought knee and shoulder injuries. Today's performance was a fluke in terms of TDs, but he's clearly become a favorite target of Dalton--just as he was starting to at the end of last year--and in the last three weeks has gone 3-71, 4-57, and 8-122 with 6 touchdowns on 5, 6, and 8 targets. He's made many extremely acrobatic catches, gets red zone looks (obviously) and isn't simply catching garbage yards. Seems like a great person to plug into your WR3 spot.
He's still tough to believe in as a regular starter with Green, Gio, Eifert and Gresham on the team.

Guy in my league picked him up earlier in the week then cut him like 2 days later, I guess due to injury he had. As an AJ Green owner I opted not to grab him even though I could use a shot in the arm for my team of underachievers. Was not keen on idea of starting 2 WR on same team. Boy was I wrong. Guess this is why I'm on my way to a 3rd straight loss and a 3-5 record.
"I didn't want to start 2 WRs on the same team"

:ptts:

I get a Cruz-ish feeling about Jones's potential impact this season. He has a proven #1 opposite, is not technically the starter but seems to have an established rapport with the qb, gets plenty of chances, and just gets open and makes plays whether it's jump balls or run after catch. I think what's most telling about Jones's production is that he's making things happen on these plays, not just being the right guy at the right time.

What I like about him when he came out was 1) willingness and effectiveness at run blocking despite his slender frame. He is a strong dude. And 2) he is very acrobatic. Not super fast or quick, but can make catches even when covered due to long frame and great body control.

The battle with Sanu has been pretty interesting for a while.

The argument against Marvin is somewhat like the conversation with Terrance Williams, would he get enough snaps or playing time to really rely upon him every week?

He had two good weeks coming in, although both games largely because of a TD, and then this looked like it would be a poor matchup but of course it turned out to be fantastic.

This is an interesting stat from PFF:

- The craziest thing about Jones being able to pick up 122 yards is that he did it running just 13 routes. That’s 9.38 yards per route run with 84 of them coming against rookie Milliner.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/28/pff-reaction-blog-week-8-2/

These situations with backup TEs/WRs like Reed, Cruz, Laurent Robinson and Williams is that they keep getting the limited chances until... they do get more. With Cruz in particular I remember people saying he was getting his scores on supposedly "fluky" plays (others might call them exciting plays, and that talent was shown in creating those situations in the first place). Because coaches and Qbs gain trust in them and want to turn to them and have them on the field because they produce when trusted, their role can grow. Meanwhile Sanu had a pretty big drop. One week finally there is a subtle change in playing time and they will be nearly impossible to acquire after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Rotoworld:

Marvin Jones - WR - Bengals

Marvin Jones played on just 19 snaps in Sunday's win over the Jets.

Yes, Jones had four touchdown catches and 122 yards while playing on 32.7 percent of the offensive snaps. It's a reminder that although the second-year man is far better than Mohamed Sanu and is a legit red-zone threat, he's not a true No. 2 wideout. Over the last three weeks, Jones has played on just 69-of-206 snaps (33.4 percent) and now talented Andrew Hawkins is eligible to return from short-term IR. There are going to be a lot of duds for owners chasing Jones' impressive box scores from the past three weeks.
I didn't realize he'd done that much damage on just 19 snaps. I picked him up today as a flex option for Week 9. Three weeks is a pretty big sample size when you're talking about nearly a third of the season played thus far. He seems like he could have Andre Ellington-like potential.

These situations with backup TEs/WRs like Reed, Cruz, Laurent Robinson and Williams is that they keep getting the limited chances until... they do.
What? They keep getting the limited chances until they keep getting the limited chances? So what happens when they keep getting the limited chances?

These situations with backup TEs/WRs like Reed, Cruz, Laurent Robinson and Williams is that they keep getting the limited chances until... they do.
What? They keep getting the limited chances until they keep getting the limited chances? So what happens when they keep getting the limited chances?
I read that through and edited before you posted, but the point is don't hold back because they're getting limited snaps and it looks fluky; games like this lead to larger roles.

From Rotoworld:

Marvin Jones - WR - Bengals

Marvin Jones played on just 19 snaps in Sunday's win over the Jets.

Yes, Jones had four touchdown catches and 122 yards while playing on 32.7 percent of the offensive snaps. It's a reminder that although the second-year man is far better than Mohamed Sanu and is a legit red-zone threat, he's not a true No. 2 wideout. Over the last three weeks, Jones has played on just 69-of-206 snaps (33.4 percent) and now talented Andrew Hawkins is eligible to return from short-term IR. There are going to be a lot of duds for owners chasing Jones' impressive box scores from the past three weeks.
I didn't realize he'd done that much damage on just 19 snaps. I picked him up today as a flex option for Week 9. Three weeks is a pretty big sample size when you're talking about nearly a third of the season played thus far. He seems like he could have Andre Ellington-like potential.
Bengals ran a lot of running plays after the half and they benched their starters at the end of the 3rd. Not surprised that Marvin on played in 32.7 percent of the snaps. He is obviously one of Dalton's favorite targets, and has came up huge for the Bengals the past 3-4 weeks.

I read that through and edited before you posted, but the point is don't hold back because they're getting limited snaps and it looks fluky; games like this lead to larger roles.
Ohhhhhhh thanks.

My team is in win now mode. I am considering shopping Marvin Jones this week. What do the sharks believe would be an acceptable return for Marvin Jones?

Listening to Bloom, he talked about Keenan Allen, Jordan Reed, Kenny Stills, Marvin Jones. Think I'm gonna stop listening and hear him/take action instead.
Go Bears!

Jones is an athletic guy who can make difficult catches on contested or badly-thrown balls. He doesn't have the fluidity of Allen but he has the potential to be a solid complement to AJ Green (as he was to Allen).

glad he had 44 points and was on my bench.

obviously cant expect the touchdowns every weeek , put looks like he got targeted a good amount and there is something there going forward.

He is always gonna get single coverage with AJ and looks like Dalton will get him the ball.. like what i see

The gut check with Jones is whether you think his limited snap counts affects his overall # of targets. Victor Cruz ended up a top 5 WR in 2011 playing as the No. 3 WR (and he wasn't even in that role until Hixon got injured)

It will be rare for Jones to eclipse 10 targets in any single game (unless the Bengals get into a shootout) with Green there. For weeks 6-8 he's had a healthy dose of targets however, 20 to Green's 26 in that span.

Many will argue that Dalton cannot support a viable #2 WR with his passing #s, but it's important to note that Dalton's recent hot streak has coincided with Jones's emergence. If we as fans can notice that, then certainly the Bengals coaches are aware of it. Sanu's injuries just opens the door even wider.

Man. Drafted this guy ahead of Sanu last year in 6/9 leagues ranging from 2.6 - 4.1. Still have him in 4 of them, but F, I should have had him in at least 7 at this point. Dude has freaky athleticism. Good to see he is making plays finally (and averaging more than 10 YPC, something Sanu had a hard time doing in college).

Folks gonna chase those 4 TDs or believe that this has Eddie Royal written all over it?
I think the talent is there to be a must add, but there's enough Eddie Royal-ness that I will not be spending big FAAB (or #1 waiver) to get him.

He ran 18 routes, vs. 29 for Sanu. I don't think CIN will run enough 3-WR sets for him to get enough targets for him to be a consistent WR3. The Sanu injury may change things, but it doesn't seem really serious at this point. It seems evident enough to us that he should take over the starting role, but hasn't the same thing been said in the Gio/BJGE thread? I can see him getting more snaps at WR2, but I'm skeptical that a full on starting lineup switch is set to take place, unless Sanu misses significant time.

Also, I don't believe Dalton keeps this pace up. Partially because I think he's just hot right now, but also because I don't think it's what this team wants to do. The offense will generate enough red zone opportunities for Jones to score, but I don't think 6-8 rec and 80 yds/week is really in the cards on a consistent basis for Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread