What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphin Players bullied Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito SUSPENDED (1 Viewer)

What the heck are the coaches thinking? This is a 100 million dollar organization and they allow for bullying? Even if he is a weirdo, bullying is not good for the locker room. They need to get a handle on their players and get them to act like professionals if they want to be a real contender. Could you imagine the 9ers, Pats, Ravens or Packers allowing this to happen to one of their key starters?

Boo hoo. If it bothered him so much he should have stood up for himself and slugged somebody
Pretty flippant and sad comment here. Obviously a lot more going on than just a little ribbing here. It's either that the teammates went way overboard, he has some significant issues, or as it appears to be with what little we know, both.

Martin clearly had/has some other issues going on that seem to have been exacerbated by the treatment from his teamates.

These are adults and grown men but I also think its easy for us to forget how young a lot of these guys are and many people in general still have a lot of maturing to do when they're in their early 20s.

I hope all involved, the Dolphins org, and others would learn something from this.

If the dude is not fighting back, it is obvious he has some problems going on and the team is idiotic for allowing it to continue.

6'5" 312 lbs - dude needs to hit someone, easy way to end bullying.
And I'm sure your penis is extremely large.

You sit down in the cafeteria with your co-workers, they all get up to leave...and you think if you grab one of them and hit him, it will make the situation better?

I have no doubt that this kind of behavior is common in NFL locker rooms; there are too many prima donnas hopped up on too many steriods, most with no history of seeing the consequences of their actions.

That doesn't make it right.

6'5" 312 lbs - dude needs to hit someone, easy way to end bullying.
And I'm sure your penis is extremely large.

You sit down in the cafeteria with your co-workers, they all get up to leave...and you think if you grab one of them and hit him, it will make the situation better?

I have no doubt that this kind of behavior is common in NFL locker rooms; there are too many prima donnas hopped up on too many steriods, most with no history of seeing the consequences of their actions.

That doesn't make it right.
14 inches, & you wouldn't believe the girth.

If you think it was an isolated incident of a few guys getting up that set this off, then you are in the wrong thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read before that some teams shy away from Stanford players because they don't always fit in with the other guys in the locker room. Stanford is one of the few schools in D1 that actually has real academic entry requirements for football players. Most of these guys had 3.5+ GPAs and 1100+ SAT scores. The ones who make the NFL go from being surrounded by intelligent and well-rounded teammates to being surrounded by grown men who have the maturity and intellect of middle schoolers.

Yeah, the thing a lot of people forget is that there are a lot of dumb, entitled guys in the NFL. They are entertainers, and for that we like them. But the odds of many of us fitting into an NFL locker room are pretty low.

A huge percentage of these guys would never have earned a college education, or even went to college at all, if not for their athletic abilities. They aren't as mature and well-rounded as your average "men", and that includes average dudes who also don't have a college education.

That's how you end up with the "weird" guys like Foster, Luck, etc. who don't seem to fit in. Because they don't, they aren't the norm in the NFL. But in reality, they're probably the closest thing to "normal" guys, compared to a lot of us, in the league.

So this isn't a locker room full of men that can handle their own ####. You're talking about basically 50+ overgrown adolescents who never had to grow up and in many cases, were never told "no" because their athletic gifts bought them all the slack in the world off the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what was really going on, but I find it very strange that so many people think that large people are immune from bullying.

Doesn't surprise me that Richie incognito was supposedly one of the bullies... Guys had more baggage than **insert favorite kardashian here**

:lmao: It's believed LG Richie Incognito -- one of the heads of the Dolphins' team leadership council -- was at the forefront of the "bullying" that led to Martin's mental meltdown.

Dying here :lmao:

I have no idea what was really going on, but I find it very strange that so many people think that large people are immune from bullying.
This. Then again, you look at the world around you, and it explains so much.

:lmao: It's believed LG Richie Incognito -- one of the heads of the Dolphins' team leadership council -- was at the forefront of the "bullying" that led to Martin's mental meltdown.

Dying here :lmao:
because when you want a calm, level-headed, balanced, fair and rational person to help resolve internal disputes impartially and with grace and class...

incognito is your boy!

isn't Incognito repeatedly at the top of the list of biggest jerks in the NFL? you would think some other player/coach/GM would have put a stop to it by now.

the fact that the story says Martin is in a treatment facility now makes me wonder a little if he tried to off himself.

We don't know the degree to which he was harassed. I think some people see the word "bullying" and assume the guy was just being teased. But it was likely well beyond the usual snide comments, nicknames, or other forms of confrontation that occur behind the scenes at all levels of organized sports.

I have a feeling that some of the things NFL players do to haze and aggravate each other are pretty extreme. Remember when Jason Pierre-Paul threw Prince Amukamara into a tub of cold water? I'd bet things like that are pretty common. For all we know, they could've said things about his family, engaged in deeply personal attacks, or pranked him incessantly. It's awfully easy to be dismissive without being aware of the depths to which these guys sunk. And knowing how Incognito has behaved over the years, my guess is that they sunk pretty low.

I do not like to see people get hurt, but I was enjoying watching Incognito sit on the bench cuz his vag was hurt. But then again he is not a person, he is scum.

What the heck are the coaches thinking? This is a 100 million dollar organization and they allow for bullying? Even if he is a weirdo, bullying is not good for the locker room. They need to get a handle on their players and get them to act like professionals if they want to be a real contender. Could you imagine the 9ers, Pats, Ravens or Packers allowing this to happen to one of their key starters?
What I was thinking. If I'm the owner or GM of the Dolphins this tells me all I need to know about Joe Philbin. Clearly not a leader of men.

What I was thinking. If I'm the owner or GM of the Dolphins this tells me all I need to know about Joe Philbin. Clearly not a leader of men.
Philbin needs to be fired, and if the NFLPA finds something to be amiss, I bet Philbin will be forced out.

Any coach and veteran in that locker room should be ashamed of themselves today. And I know this doofus Tannenhill is young but this guys got a long way to go if he wants to lead a team in this league.

I've read before that some teams shy away from Stanford players because they don't always fit in with the other guys in the locker room. Stanford is one of the few schools in D1 that actually has real academic entry requirements for football players. Most of these guys had 3.5+ GPAs and 1100+ SAT scores. The ones who make the NFL go from being surrounded by intelligent and well-rounded teammates to being surrounded by grown men who have the maturity and intellect of middle schoolers.
Yeah, the thing a lot of people forget is that there are a lot of dumb, entitled guys in the NFL. They are entertainers, and for that we like them. But the odds of many of us fitting into an NFL locker room are pretty low.

A huge percentage of these guys would never have earned a college education, or even went to college at all, if not for their athletic abilities. They aren't as mature and well-rounded as your average "men", and that includes average dudes who also don't have a college education.

That's how you end up with the "weird" guys like Foster, Luck, etc. who don't seem to fit in. Because they don't, they aren't the norm in the NFL. But in reality, they're probably the closest thing to "normal" guys, compared to a lot of us, in the league.

So this isn't a locker room full of men that can handle their own ####. You're talking about basically 50+ overgrown adolescents who never had to grow up and in many cases, were never told "no" because their athletic gifts bought them all the slack in the world off the field.
I liked both of these posts, and it lends credence to why guys like Wes Welker, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, London Fletcher, Hines Ward, those guys were not the most physically gifted players but they outsmart their opponents. I think there is a massive hole in the NFL of smart players. I see so many QBs throw balls that have no chance to be caught, RBs with no vision when holes are right there to be had, receivers running wrong routes.

I liked both of these posts, and it lends credence to why guys like Wes Welker, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, London Fletcher, Hines Ward, those guys were not the most physically gifted players but they outsmart their opponents. I think there is a massive hole in the NFL of smart players. I see so many QBs throw balls that have no chance to be caught, RBs with no vision when holes are right there to be had, receivers running wrong routes.
though there is a difference between book smarts and football smarts...

emmitt smith won't ever be confused with elon musk, but he was a great RB...

I do think there probably is a minimum level of intelligence needed to play in the NFL...

other traits, not necessarily IQ related, like toughness, coachability and being team oriented are also very important.

With all of the bullying issues in schools, workplaces, and elsewhere, it is disheartening to read some people blowing this off or blaming the victim. Adults can be the victims of bullying as well and recommending that an adult resolve the bullying issue by punching their colleague is also disheartening.

With all of the bullying issues in schools, workplaces, and elsewhere, it is disheartening to read some people blowing this off or blaming the victim. Adults can be the victims of bullying as well and recommending that an adult resolve the bullying issue by punching their colleague is also disheartening.
:goodposting:

Looks like a team with no leadership from either the players or management.

:goodposting: Looks like a team with no leadership from either the players or management.
It's all fun and games until you see one of your students cutting themselves or your baseball player try and take a ####load of pills. Maybe I am sensitive to it because I'm a high school guidance counselor but it should not be tolerated at any level - in schools and the workplace are no exceptions.

As someone said above it's disheartening that we think coming to blows is the way to handle it. Maybe for you it was because you had the self confidence, the family support, or the big brother to back you up. But for someone who has self confidence issues, depression, etc., it's not so easy. I'm not saying he had these things or even that someone else should be blamed entirely, just that you should think long and hard before you cast stones about people you don't even know.

Link to Incognito being a perennial ##### bag? I follow the NFL but Miami is not my home team so I'm wondering how everyone knew and/or blamed him from the get go.

I do think at times it's incumbent on an individual to "sack up" and figure how to integrate into a group and maintain some self respect while doing so. Martin may very well have self-ostracized himself from the group.

I also think at times the group is so toxic that it simply can't be done.

If the Dolphins don't rapidly release players to remedy the situation, both the coach and GM's heads should be on the block. Depending on how they assess the situation, either Martin or another player or players should not be Dolphins by game time next week.

though there is a difference between book smarts and football smarts...

emmitt smith won't ever be confused with elon musk, but he was a great RB...

I do think there probably is a minimum level of intelligence needed to play in the NFL...

other traits, not necessarily IQ related, like toughness, coachability and being team oriented are also very important.
Oh for sure Bob, lot of great players likely not the highest IQ and some people are so gifted they almost couldn't miss. I'm saying some folks can make a name for themselves by being smarter. 2 guys are going at it along the LOS, OG vs a DT, whichever one is flat out stronger should win the war almost every time and sometimes it's that simple but other times you get a Dwight Stephenson HOF Center for the mIami Dolphins who was 6-2/255 and did not outmuscle anyone, he understood the laws of leverage, position, getting up and into his block, he used his brains to accomplish what he wanted mixed with his physical skills.

All I'm saying is there might be room for a few more smarties in this league. You can't teach speed but you can learn a lot of other things that come in handy during a football game.

Yup. I remember while watching Hard Knocks what a passive-aggressive doosh this dude was.

Users who are viewing this thread