What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphin Players bullied Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito SUSPENDED (1 Viewer)

I dont follow the fins....is this guy any good? There seems to be a serious break down of leadership here, gm, coach, team captains, etc. My opinion is if he adds value to the team this is a huge loss. He should talk to hius agent and demand a trade. Second thing is grab the next jackass that does something to hime and beat him to a pulp. the nfl is filled with a personalities so only the strong survive i get that, however hurting the team is unacceptable.

Bullying is pathetic. Why people would treat others like #### is beyond me. I have no patience for it.
Grow some thicker bark, guy. These are grown men.
Bullying/hazing in the locker room in our day ranged from the tame end of being balmed (Ben Gay to the genitals) to the harsher end of being sodemized with a stick. The cool dudes doing this stuff rationalized it by claiming it was milder than what happened in years past. Maybe some day your kid will be the one found rolled up in a wrestling mat and we can tell you to grow some thicker bark.

I'm sure the bullying/trash talk he receives from the other team when he gets his head out of the sand from this and returns to playing will pale in comparison.

Not trying to diminish the significance and seriousness of bullying in the workplace...but to play in the NFL I believe you need a certain level of confidence, toughness, and resilience. Especially in the trenches. Probably at that level, 95% of the players in the locker room have it, and kind of assume the same of everyone around them. I am not saying that the "bullies" in this case should be given blanket forgiveness, but to some degree I can understand where they would not see this kind of reaction coming from a guy who wants to play Left Tackle in the NFL.

Perhaps Martin should pursue a different career path? He's a Stanford guy, he probably has options.

I agree with the last post. Some of you guys are acting like a bunch of guys beat the #### out of him. If I'm not missing something, they all got up from the table he sat down at. That's bullying? If that's all it took for this dude to meltdown and check into a hospital, I wouldn't want him on my team. I'm not condoning guys treating him like garbage. That's a terrible way to treat a person, but you have to be able to deal with stuff like that and keep moving, not have a nervous breakdown. It's sad that the guy can't move past something as small as that when he's supposed to be a professional.

Not sure but I seriously doubt that was the full extent of the bullying or whatever... He prolly should have handled it better but let's not pretend that this happened just because they didn't sit with him... As a high school football coach we often see childish bullying and often we come to learn that there is a lot of bullying done behind the scenes and out of the view of the staff... I would love to know what else went on but I doubt that too much of that stuff will come to light

Last edited by a moderator:
In short a whole lot of the worlds problems could be solved if everyone was just genuinely better to everyone else... Be a solid citizen who gives a darn about other people... I guess that's too much to ask in this world today

If you want to question the bark-thickness of anyone, it should be the team leaders. As a leader you take a stand for those that can't (won't) do it for themselves. This lineman was obviously struggling to fit in, maybe had some mental issues going on (at the very least self confidence issues). Team leaders can't just be designated by the franchise (since it seems one of them was in on the bullying). Leaders become that way by taking up for others that are having a hard time.

And when one guy makes the move to help, and say "this is wrong", it's inevitable that more stand up with him since the path has already been taken and they feel more comfortable not being the only one doing something.

If I have to feel sorry for someone here, it's not so much the guy who's getting bulied, it's the guys who think it's OK to pile on a person who's obviously struggling. Think about it - they are probably so stupid, so engrained with a "pack mentality" that they probably don't even see what's wrong with any of this.

All it would take is one guy, respected by all, to stand up and say that this isn't helping the team win. Sadly, that person missed his chance to lead.

Boo hoo. If it bothered him so much he should have stood up for himself and slugged somebody
I completely disagee--Martin was the only person who actually handled anything regarding this situation in a responsible fashion. If he fights back and punches his teammates--then he's the one that gets categorized as the problem. I've never played professional sports--but I've played a ton of competitive amateur sports in my upbringing--- and there is no room for what the Dolphins and what their players did here. There is a vast difference between constructive criticism, and slight ribbing designed to enhance performance and production on a field versus outright bullying. This 300lb monster of a dude had the emotional maturity to drive himself to a hospital and not go on a rampage and injure others even when he was in the middle of having an emotional meltdown. He should be applauded and frankly--he's biggest man in this situation. Shame on the other players involved and shame on the Dolphins for allowing this to happen right under their noses.

There are some real lousy people on this planet. The good news is there's a very special place in hell for bullies. They'll get what's coming to them. As for Martin, here's hoping that he is able to put all this behind him. He'll be alright. Because for every one ##### there are 100 good people.

Bullying is pathetic. Why people would treat others like #### is beyond me. I have no patience for it.
Bullying/hazing in the locker room in our day ranged from the tame end of being balmed (Ben Gay to the genitals) to the harsher end of being sodemized with a stick. The cool dudes doing this stuff rationalized it by claiming it was milder than what happened in years past. Maybe some day your kid will be the one found rolled up in a wrestling mat and we can tell you to grow some thicker bark.
Wait, What?? :shock:

What better way to grow closer as a team than to sodomize each other? I can't think of a better way.

Perhaps Martin should pursue a different career path? He's a Stanford guy, he probably has options.
Not if he's insane. The NFL might be his only option.

"What if" Ted Kaczynski could run fast or kick a football.

All kidding aside, sounds like this guy has some pretty serious issues and it probably didn't take much to push him over the edge.

I agree with the last post. Some of you guys are acting like a bunch of guys beat the #### out of him. If I'm not missing something, they all got up from the table he sat down at. That's bullying? If that's all it took for this dude to meltdown and check into a hospital, I wouldn't want him on my team. I'm not condoning guys treating him like garbage. That's a terrible way to treat a person, but you have to be able to deal with stuff like that and keep moving, not have a nervous breakdown. It's sad that the guy can't move past something as small as that when he's supposed to be a professional.
Do you think thats all it took and where it started? If you do, then you are missing something.

All kidding aside, sounds like this guy has some pretty serious issues and it probably didn't take much to push him over the edge.
You just compared a guy who was bullied, and we do not have all the facts still, to a murderer. Good job.

You just compared a guy who was bullied, and we do not have all the facts still, to a murderer. Good job.
Sorry, I was trying to compare him to a former Ivy League genius that got picked on (teased, bullied, hazed, etc.), cracked, and then murdered people.

You don't know what was going through this guy's head.

What better way to grow closer as a team than to sodomize each other? I can't think of a better way.
Yeah, no offense to BNB because I assume he didn't take part in that, but there is a difference between hazing and a bunch of gay guys raping somebody.

Not sure but I seriously doubt that was the full extent of the bullying or whatever... He prolly should have handled it better but let's not pretend that this happened just because they didn't sit with him... As a high school football coach we often see childish bullying and often we come to learn that there is a lot of bullying done behind the scenes and out of the view of the staff... I would love to know what else went on but I doubt that too much of that stuff will come to light
You're probably right.

Do you think thats all it took and where it started? If you do, then you are missing something.
No, I'm sure there was more, but enough to make a guy take off to the hospital? He's obviously got more problems that some guys hazing him. Unless he's getting sodomized by his teammates, but I've never been on a team that did that #### like the other dude in this thread.

Yes, one of the best comparisons I've ever heard. :thumbup:

I wonder if Adolf Hitler was bullied?

There are some real lousy people on this planet. The good news is there's a very special place in hell for bullies. They'll get what's coming to them. As for Martin, here's hoping that he is able to put all this behind him. He'll be alright. Because for every one ##### there are 100 good people.
There's a special place in hell for them? Geez, what exactly do you think they did to him? I don't think an entire locker room would allow the guy to be treated as bad as its being made out to be. Just my opinion

I wonder if Adolf Hitler was bullied?
Little known fact:Hitler wrote Mein Kampf while taped naked to a goalpost.

As a Phinsfan I agree with Greeny on this.

Boo hoo. If it bothered him so much he should have stood up for himself and slugged somebody
I completely disagee--Martin was the only person who actually handled anything regarding this situation in a responsible fashion. If he fights back and punches his teammates--then he's the one that gets categorized as the problem. I've never played professional sports--but I've played a ton of competitive amateur sports in my upbringing--- and there is no room for what the Dolphins and what their players did here. There is a vast difference between constructive criticism, and slight ribbing designed to enhance performance and production on a field versus outright bullying. This 300lb monster of a dude had the emotional maturity to drive himself to a hospital and not go on a rampage and injure others even when he was in the middle of having an emotional meltdown. He should be applauded and frankly--he's biggest man in this situation. Shame on the other players involved and shame on the Dolphins for allowing this to happen right under their noses.
I appreciate your post and your POV. I think we are taking things we know in our own World and trying to apply it to what happens in the NFL, that's a big leap IMO. We don't know what happened, I heard a rumor Martin got the krabs and this was how the team handled it, by making a joke and not wanting to sit near him.

Let's take a step back and give credence to the story as we heard it in the cafeteria. If Martin was being bullied on a regular basis then why would he go sit with the folks who are doing the bullying? I've worked in companies where the people all around me were not the best of folks, I didn't eat lunch with them and went about my business. Now I'm sure the NFL is a lot different however Martin felt comfortable enough to sit with them and then they played a joke and all got up from the table. And I can see how that might be the "krabs" rumor. "Oh don't sit near me I don't want the krabs" and then I can understand how that might trigger Martin because STDs aren't funny but certainly in a locker room it becomes comical banter for some.

Did you know Charles Haley used to master-bate in front of his team? That sounds like sexual harassment but there weren't many Dallas players running away from the team. Haley did a lot of other really uncomfortable things as well if you read the rumors about him on the internet verified by several teammates. Steve Young has a story about him he won't even talk about.

This is all conjecture so take some of it with a grain of salt, it doesn't diminish anything you posted which again I want to reiterate that I R-E-S-P-E-C-T your POV. But if he overreacted to a joke, I've played football, obviously not at the NFL level but we used to rip each other all the time. I've taken a lot of heat on the FBG boards at times, but usually I feel if people are joking with you they tend to like you. If I like someone I joke with them, if I don't like someone I don't say two words to them. The fact they were interacting with Martin, I don't think for a second his teammates disliked him or had it in for him.

Martin has a problem, not his teammates. Think about our good men and women stationed abroad? Do you think guys make crude jokes in the military, you bet your ### they do. These are HIGH STRESS outfits and to apply what happens at our desk jockey jobs to what these men and women are put thru both in the military and professional sports is not the same and you can't expect people to act the same.

You are trying to turn Martin into a poster child for abuse and I don't share in that sentiment.

There's a special place in hell for them? Geez, what exactly do you think they did to him? I don't think an entire locker room would allow the guy to be treated as bad as its being made out to be. Just my opinion
Agree again, there's no way the entire locker room would allow him to be religiously bullied all the time. Martin tried to play LT after struggling at RT last season. He did a big off season program of weightlifting and strength training, he was failing badly at LT this season. They trade for McKinnie who is immediately installed at LT, martin rolled to the right, he allowed huge sack in the NE game that caused a fumble, I think he cracked. This event just brought the whole ugly thing to a head and he exploded like a pimple ;)

I will be interested to see if Martin returns to the team or if he retires from the NFL, asks to be cut, etc...he caused a lot of pain and scrutiny for the team, in fact he is probably disliked a lot more now than he was a week ago.

I see what you're saying, M.O.P, and discussion about scenarios that might of happened are what forums are for. But I certainly don't think you know enough to say "Martin has a problem, not his teammates."

...unless you've been in the locker room all year. We know bullies exist. We know people exist who get worked up over nothing. Let's let this flesh out a bit before we blame Martin or his teammates exclusively.

Whoever is to blame, it sure doesn't look like it was helping the team, and it seems the team has more than a few issues. Some team leaders should have stepped in to talk to Martin when they saw he was handling it poorly, and maybe talked to the other linemen to see if they could ease off a bit. Usually, O-Linemen have a tight camaraderie, and some would say it's even needed to be an elite group on the field.

I hope Martin's OK and I hope his teammates learn how to embrace him and work with his quirks. Strong leadership in the locker room goes a long way towards this, as well as working through other problems.

ETA: And I hope he gets rid of his crabs.

I don't think an NFL locker room is a good place for some one with self esteem issues. I hope Martin can get the help he needs so he can resume his career

People assuming Martin is crazy never met a crazy person. Bullies don't mess with crazy people. Just look at Metta World Peace for example, now he is crazy. Do you think a doughboy like Incognito would mess with Metta World Peace? Most likely Martin made Incognito look real stupid. Even dumbasses don't like to look stupid in front of people. Hence, Incognito's payback is to spread rumors like he's back in High School. And somehow all the idiots formed a bond and started to conspire against Martin. Resulting in this incident where it basically broke the camel's back...

But ultimately, the management is to blame, it's highly unlikely they didn't know this friction was going on in the locker room.

6'5" 312 lbs - dude needs to hit someone, easy way to end bullying.
:goodposting: I would wait til the next time one of them guys tried to bully me or play some practical joke and take his head and slam it into the wall... Bullying over. Just my :2cents: . I wouldn't check into a hospital.... Unless he likes str8 jackets haha ... anyways put your foot in someones ### and usually bullying stops.

What the heck are the coaches thinking? This is a 100 million dollar organization and they allow for bullying? Even if he is a weirdo, bullying is not good for the locker room. They need to get a handle on their players and get them to act like professionals if they want to be a real contender. Could you imagine the 9ers, Pats, Ravens or Packers allowing this to happen to one of their key starters?
1.01 Billion dollar organization

:goodposting: I would wait til the next time one of them guys tried to bully me or play some practical joke and take his head and slam it into the wall... Bullying over. Just my :2cents: . I wouldn't check into a hospital.... Unless he likes str8 jackets haha ... anyways put your foot in someones ### and usually bullying stops.
Unless it's multiple guys, or even one guy for that matter, just as big and far more prone to be violent.

Big and tough and aggressive are not the same thing...I'm just speculating but that guy who's head you think you'd grab and slam might just not let it be quite that simple...and if that's the way they want it now the perpetrator/s have been given validation to escalate.

Kicking the crap out of someone usual doesn't end well in most situations. I don't think that would be good for him either. How about he just keeps his mouth shut and goes about his business? There's no reason to even play into that stuff. It never ends well.

It's hilarious that people think because Martin was big he should have just hit someone. For one, not all big guys are tough or could win a fit. Secondly, if he was being bullied then there is no way it was a single person doing it. Lastly, maybe he just isn't a violent person or someone who believes in that sort of behavior.

Incognito is a thug from what I can tell. A hit head, dirty player who should be disciplined on many levels. I'm not sure what his involvement was in this but it sounds like it was high. Hopefully Mia or the NFL make an example of him if this is all true.

I appreciate your post and your POV. I think we are taking things we know in our own World and trying to apply it to what happens in the NFL, that's a big leap IMO. We don't know what happened, I heard a rumor Martin got the krabs and this was how the team handled it, by making a joke and not wanting to sit near him.

Let's take a step back and give credence to the story as we heard it in the cafeteria. If Martin was being bullied on a regular basis then why would he go sit with the folks who are doing the bullying? I've worked in companies where the people all around me were not the best of folks, I didn't eat lunch with them and went about my business. Now I'm sure the NFL is a lot different however Martin felt comfortable enough to sit with them and then they played a joke and all got up from the table. And I can see how that might be the "krabs" rumor. "Oh don't sit near me I don't want the krabs" and then I can understand how that might trigger Martin because STDs aren't funny but certainly in a locker room it becomes comical banter for some.

Did you know Charles Haley used to master-bate in front of his team? That sounds like sexual harassment but there weren't many Dallas players running away from the team. Haley did a lot of other really uncomfortable things as well if you read the rumors about him on the internet verified by several teammates. Steve Young has a story about him he won't even talk about.

This is all conjecture so take some of it with a grain of salt, it doesn't diminish anything you posted which again I want to reiterate that I R-E-S-P-E-C-T your POV. But if he overreacted to a joke, I've played football, obviously not at the NFL level but we used to rip each other all the time. I've taken a lot of heat on the FBG boards at times, but usually I feel if people are joking with you they tend to like you. If I like someone I joke with them, if I don't like someone I don't say two words to them. The fact they were interacting with Martin, I don't think for a second his teammates disliked him or had it in for him.

Martin has a problem, not his teammates. Think about our good men and women stationed abroad? Do you think guys make crude jokes in the military, you bet your ### they do. These are HIGH STRESS outfits and to apply what happens at our desk jockey jobs to what these men and women are put thru both in the military and professional sports is not the same and you can't expect people to act the same.

You are trying to turn Martin into a poster child for abuse and I don't share in that sentiment.
I am not turning Martin into a poster child for abuse-- I'm giving the dude props for handling his emotions in a manner that is not dangerous to others. Nobody knows the full extent of what happened that caused him to break--but every indiciation is that the cafeteria incident was just the straw that broke the camels back--from everything that I have read--the other players have been harassing him for a long while. We all have cases where we are emotionally charged and do and say things in the heat of specific events. This man hit his breaking point--and had the mental capacity and maturity to leave the situation in a safe manner and take himself to a hospital. If every person in the world had the ability to control themselves like this when they are emotionally charged--there would be far fewer homicides, cases of domestic violence, battery..etc. To call a man who has this type of self control and emotional maturity "the problem" and not his "teammates"--who should be spending their time on focusing on how to be a better team and better teammates --is ridiculous. It takes the same amount of energy to do something nice as it does to be a d-bag. His teammates chose to spend their energy being d-bags---and in my opinion--that speaks very little of their character and morals. I've been in many locker rooms and have played plenty of sports-- there is a vast difference between being an alpha male and being a d-bag-- it's not required that you be a d-bag just because you are in a locker room. Any yes---I don't care if somebody is in a locker room or not-- there is zero excuse for anybody to pleasure themselves in front of employees at a work place (outside the adult entertainment industry). If Haley actually did that and nobody informed him in a professional manner that he needed to stop doing it--there is a big problem there too.

Hey 2002, I definitely would like to give your reply the due time it deserves. I'm out to cheer on the Canes tonight, hopefully it's not just them walking the plank tonight. I don't think my POV is ridiculous at all, some here will share in my view as some will share in yours. I'll check back in maybe later tonight or tomorrow, definitely appreciate what you are saying but I have some different takes on it.

I wish what happened had not happened, but I can't believe the whole OLine was acting like a d-bag, perhaps Inc was the ring leaser, we'll know more after Goodell, the NFL, players union all take a microscope to him, I'm sure he won't be loving life the next week while Miami has a few extra days off.

People assuming Martin is crazy never met a crazy person. Bullies don't mess with crazy people. Just look at Metta World Peace for example, now he is crazy. Do you think a doughboy like Incognito would mess with Metta World Peace? Most likely Martin made Incognito look real stupid. Even dumbasses don't like to look stupid in front of people. Hence, Incognito's payback is to spread rumors like he's back in High School. And somehow all the idiots formed a bond and started to conspire against Martin. Resulting in this incident where it basically broke the camel's back...

But ultimately, the management is to blame, it's highly unlikely they didn't know this friction was going on in the locker room.
Finally... someone with real insider knowledge.

sorry freshman still need to carry the equipment, call it bullying or hazing i dont care...

Users who are viewing this thread