What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portis to Washington trade close?! (1 Viewer)

champ24

Footballguy
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...1973439,00.html

Broncos blockbuster: Portis trade may be near

Deal for Redskins' Bailey, No. 2 pick close, sources say

By Adam Schefter - Denver Post Sports Writer

Article Published: Monday, February 23, 2004

Record-setting running back Clinton Portis' request for a new contract may be behind the Broncos' willingness to trade him.

INDIANAPOLIS - The Broncos and Washington Redskins are closing in on a blockbuster deal that would send Denver's Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis to Washington for Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

In addition to Bailey, Denver is asking for Washington's second-round pick in the April draft, National Football League sources confirmed this weekend.

Until now, the Redskins have balked at surrendering the pick, one reason no agreement has been announced. Yet at least two other sources close to the Redskins say the deal, which would be one of the biggest in football history, is all but done.

The Broncos are trying to first finalize a new contract with Pro Bowl middle linebacker Al Wilson before dealing with the Redskins. The Wilson deal could be completed today.

But if the trade between Denver and Washington were completed, Bailey then would need to be signed as well - likely to a lucrative contract.

This is the reason trade talks even began to percolate. Washington grew frustrated over its stalled negotiations with Bailey, and Denver does not want to negotiate a new deal with Portis, who still has two years remaining on his contract.

A Denver deal with Bailey might not be as difficult. Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, has worked with the Broncos on numerous contracts in the past, including kicker Jason Elam's in February 2003 and safety Nick Ferguson's last month.

The NFL trading period opens March 3, but the Broncos and Redskins could agree to a deal before then - if they haven't already. The Redskins appear to be soliciting offers from, among others, the Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Houston Texans.

"As to who we'd be interested in, right now that's something we want to keep to ourselves," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said this weekend.

Broncos officials declined to comment on the possible deal.

None of the possible trading partners could offer a player as prolific as the 22-year-old Portis, Denver's record-setting running back who predicted at this month's Pro Bowl that a 2,000-yard season is in his view.

Anyone who watched him rush for 1,591 yards last season, despite missing three games with sternum and ankle injuries, would not question it.

"I know my 2,000 will come," Portis said in Honolulu. "It's just a matter of time."

While the deal would be met with cheers in Washington, it would be met with even louder cheers in Kansas City. During the Broncos' past two games in Denver against the Chiefs, Portis rushed for 348 yards and scored nine touchdowns.

There are questions within the Broncos organization about whether running backs Quentin Griffin, Ahmaad Galloway and Mike Anderson would be good enough to carry the team through the playoffs.

Should Denver land the extra pick from Washington, the team would be positioned to draft one of this year's higher-rated running backs, perhaps even former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett, with whom Broncos officials met Thursday night.

Moreover, Denver's defense would be instantly fortified and upgraded. Bailey would be the prototype cornerback the Broncos have coveted since they showered millions on Dale Carter during the 1999 offseason. Bailey, 25, is regarded as one of the game's top cornerbacks.

Asked at the Pro Bowl to name the best cornerback in the game, Philadelphia's five-time Pro Bowl cornerback Troy Vincent said: "Cover-wise, you have to look at Champ Bailey. Champ has the best cover skills."

Although he is regarded as a supreme cover corner, Bailey has failed to make some of the big plays he did early in his career. During his five NFL seasons, Bailey's interception totals have dropped from five in each of his first two seasons to three in 2001 and 2002 to only two last season.

But the Broncos are not concerned with the plays Bailey didn't make in Washington but rather the ones they think he could make for them.

With Bailey blanketing one side of the field in man-to-man coverage, Denver would be able to offer more help to its other cornerback, Lenny Walls, who played exceedingly well the first half of last season but struggled in the second half when wide receivers figured out he could not cover the counter move.

Denver's secondary could use a jolt. In its first playoff appearance since the 2000 season, Denver allowed Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning to complete 22 of 26 passes for 377 yards and five touchdowns.

But the only way to get a player of Bailey's abilities is to surrender a younger and more productive one. Ordinarily, Denver would not consider trading Portis. However, the organization is leery of Portis' request for a new contract at a time when he has two years remaining on his current one.

If the trade comes to fruition, it would go down as one of the biggest in NFL history. Perhaps the biggest also involved the Broncos, who in 1983 traded backup quarterback Mark Hermann, offensive tackle Chris Hinton and a 1984 first-round draft pick that turned out to be guard Ron Solt to the Colts for the rights to quarterback John Elway.

The other notable football trade involved the Dallas Cowboys, who in 1989 sent running back Herschel Walker to the Minnesota Vikings for five players, six draft choices and a first-round pick in the 1992 draft.

The Cowboys' then-coach, Jimmy Johnson, used two of those picks to draft Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, and safety Darren Woodson, a five- time Pro Bowl selection and the team's all-time leading tackler.

:eek: Is this more of a single sportswriters dream, or could this really happen?I guess since Denver has had several succesful RB's over the last several years, they believe they can manufacture another one.I'll be waiting to see if another source starts to mention this also.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Making that trade might finally get Shanahan run in Denver. Although from a purely selfish standpoint, that would no doubt increase the value of my keeper leauge QB, Jake Plummer. :yes: It's still a bad idea for Denver. Portis is a once in a generation type of player. The Shaun Alexander deal is more realistic.

While the deal would be met with cheers in Washington, it would be met with even louder cheers in Kansas City. During the Broncos' past two games in Denver against the Chiefs, Portis rushed for 348 yards and scored nine touchdowns.
I didn't realize he had 9 TDs in 2 games against the Chiefs. That's some good running and some bad defense.Anyway, very interesting story and it doesn't sound unreasonable. Portis and Bailey are both attractive commodities, but I doubt the Redskins would also include their 2nd rounder. Isn't the top CB in the game more valuable than a top-5 RB? CBs sure get paid a lot more than RBs so unless Gibbs is completely in love with Portis and not a big fan of holding onto his own draft picks, I think the Broncs would have to accept either a straight up swap or I guess maybe try to get a 2nd day pick thrown in at the most.Just like pretty much every year in recent memory, it looks like Dan Snyder and the Redskins will be making the biggest moves this offseason.With all the rumors floating around about Bailey, at least 1 or 2 of them have to have a glimmer of truth. Maybe this is the one?

Man, what a story whether it's true or not! As an NFC East guy, I'd be livid to see Portis land on a division rival. One thing that puzzles me about this story though, if the impetus is Portis' new contract demands, why are the Broncos prepared to give in to Champ's demands? He passed up a $55 million, $15 million signing bonus deal from the Skins already.Cheers

I can see this deal getting done. The Broncs get a great corner, which they need. And anybody who has watched the Broncos should know that you can plug any back into that system and have it work. I just love Cecil Sapp. I love the drive in his legs, the way he pounds a hole, and many other aspects. Then you've got Quentin Griffon, which is Portis in a 5-8 frame. They would be a servicable backfield in a system that opens chasms to run through. In other words, I believe the system makes Portis special, as it did Gary, Anderson and Davis of the last 8 years. What doesn't fit is Porcelain Portis in Joe Gibbs system. He has a history of pounding the ball. Portis is a sissy who will not play unless he's 100%. And, he's anything but a team player. Two NFL offseasons. Two years of whining about needing to get paid. Not the type of guy I want around my team. Alexander/Bailey does make more sense to the 'Skins, but no the 'Hawks. But, I can see either deal getting done. In just about any deal involving Bailey though, the team coming away with the Champ is getting the special player. Though both Portis and Alexander are good players, Champ is great.

It's still a bad idea for Denver. Portis is a once in a generation type of player.
this isn't Barry Sanders we're talking about here. Every RB since Terrell Davis has been successful in the Denver system, so it's somewhat difficult to know how much of Portis' success is due to his talent/ability or to the offensive line and blocking schemes.Getting the #1 CB in the game who is just entering his prime is easily worth a smallish and injury prone RB, IMO.Portis hasn't exactly carried the Broncos to a whole lot of success just yet, and they've been spending 1st round pick after 1st round pick (and tons of money on Dale Carter) trying to find a legit shutdown CB. Given the Broncos ability to scout and draft successful RBs AND inability to scout and draft successful CBs, this trade almost seems like a no-brainer for them. In fact, I'm a bit surprised they would actually try to steal a high 2nd rounder from the 'Skins as well instead of just pushing for a straight up swap.A RBBC of Griffin, Anderson, and the addition of a rookie or FA would probably be just as productive as Portis.

What doesn't fit is Porcelain Portis in Joe Gibbs system. He has a history of pounding the ball. Portis is a sissy who will not play unless he's 100%. And, he's anything but a team player. Two NFL offseasons. Two years of whining about needing to get paid. Not the type of guy I want around my team.
I agree. Portis doesn't seem like an ideal fit for Gibbs and the team he's trying to build. I also thought I read somehwere that he said character would be more important than talent in determining which players he brings in. Portis strikes me as more of a me-first, team-second kind of player.As for Wood's comment about the contract. I think Denver would be willing to pay Champ market value but probably have concerns about overpaying for Portis who is on the small side and has not proven to be very durable over the past 2 years. Also, for the reasons already suggested, they probably feel pretty confident they can go out and find another RB to be just as successfull for them as Portis was. They do seem to have the golden touch when it comes to RBs.

Yes, Portis isn't Barry Sanders but I think he's the best of back of this current crop. (I consider a generation a 10 year football generation.) The dude's a threat to take it to the house on any play. Take him off the Broncos and suddenly you're asking Plummer to win the games with an undermaned and aging receiver corps.Portis is the engine that runs the Bentley. He's their one ballbuster. You trade him and there's no way their offense doesn't take a severe hit.

This is very odd. That guy from the Denver Post wrote an article yesterday suggesting the Broncos and Redskins should get together and work out a trade involving Bailey and Portis. One day later the trade is close to a done deal.........hmmmm.

Yes, Portis isn't Barry Sanders but I think he's the best of back of this current crop. (I consider a generation a 10 year football generation.) The dude's a threat to take it to the house on any play. Take him off the Broncos and suddenly you're asking Plummer to win the games with an undermaned and aging receiver corps.Portis is the engine that runs the Bentley. He's their one ballbuster. You trade him and there's no way their offense doesn't take a severe hit.
I'm not sure how anyone can say that Portis is better than Tomlinson. When you consider the garbage surrounding Tomlinson on offense and the fact he plays behind one of the absolute worst offensive lines in all of football, his productivity is pretty unbelievable.Portis is a very good RB, but there are plenty of other guys that are a threat to take it to the house on any play. LT2, Jamal Lewis, Priest, Deuce are all right there and most of them have proven to be a bit more durable than #26 thus far. Take any of those guys away from their team and I'm sure their offense would also take a severe hit.Terrell Davis wasn't the fastest guy in the world and even he was a threat to take it the distance when he played in Denver.Obviously, to get a player as good as Champ Bailey, you are going to have to give something of value up. While the offense might take a hit, the Broncos defense would surely get a huge boost. I'd consider Champ Bailey much more of a once in a generation type player than Portis at this point. His cover skills are 2nd to none in the league right now.

First off, Adam Schefter is probably the only thing resembling a serious sports writer or anchor in Denver so the story is probably pretty legit. The deal makes sense considering the Broncs situation probably being one of the worst in the league at corner, Lenny Walls is only servicable(very good in the red zone but not quick enough or athletic enough to handle any above average receiver in the open field) and Deltha O'Neal (now being asked to play WR exclusively or walk) is just plain awful. Plus the dictator Shanny is not someone to be pushed around on contracts especially going about it the way Portis has through the media. That being said I think that this will probably be the end of Shanahan. Once again he is completely overestimating the skills of his starting Q (see the Griese contract that their still strapped with) and completely underestimating the impact of Portis to this team. EVERYTHING on offense revolved around this guy last year. There is absolutely no way Plummer repeats the limited success he had last year without the threat of Portis around. Yes, we know anyone can run for 1000-1200 yards behind the o-line but that impresses me about as much as Curtis Martin getting yet another 1000 yard season. Whoever you put back there will be a huge downgrade from Portis. It will comparable to the downgrade from Terrell Davis to Olandis Gary. Just because anyone can run efficiently behind the Broncos line doesn't mean just anyone can run DOMINANTLY behind it....its gonna be a huge difference.

Portis strikes me as more of a me-first, team-second kind of player.
I disagree, You show me another NFL player regardless of position, not alone a skill position, thats a pro-bowl type player that wouldn't want more money than he got in his rookie contract. He's working for pennies compair to most NFL RBs and is more productive than most of them. The media says he said he will hold out, but Portis denies it. Who's telling the truth here? Was what he said taken out of context like most everything the media reports? Who knows but if a guy like James Stewart can make 5 million a year, why shouldn't Portis. Its just business!

I disagree, You show me another NFL player regardless of position, not alone a skill position, thats a pro-bowl type player that wouldn't want more money than he got in his rookie contract.
Here's a few examples of guys that I think would fit that criteria and have not threatened to hold out:RB Travis HenryRB Shaun AlexanderRB Deuce McAllisterWR Chad JohnsonWR Anquan BoldinTE Alge CrumplerOL LeCharles BentleyDL Kris JenkinsDB Ed ReedI'm not necessarily even trying to slam Portis with that comment. He definitely has a right to try and get what he can out of the Broncos if that's his priority. But, if he is serious about holding out for more money, then I don't think I'm the only on that's going to think of him as a me-first guy.

I disagree, You show me another NFL player regardless of position, not alone a skill position, thats a pro-bowl type player that wouldn't want more money than he got in his rookie contract.
Travis Henry
Didnt Henry restructure his rookie contract because he ran outta money?

Oh this is awesome! Yes I was the one and only one on this board who said Q would be the Denver RB in a couple of years! And everyone laughed :D I said Shannahan would get sick of Portis's me attitude and it looks like he finally did. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure dude did not score 9 TDs in 2 games! I think that would be, like, a record or something.
Here are Portis' #s against KC over his short career:218 yards rushing, 38 yards receiving, 5 TD141 yards rushing, 79 yards receiving, 1 TD130 yards rushing, 75 yards receiving, 4 TD70 yards rushing, 14 yards receiving, 1 TD

Oh this is awesome! Yes I was the one and only one on this board who said Q would be the Denver RB in a couple of years! And everyone laughed :D I said Shannahan would get sick of Portis's me attitude and it looks like he finally did. :thumbup:
I don't know if it's a given that Griffin would become their starting RB. I have Portis and Griffin in a dynasty league and i'm really hoping this trade doesn't happen.I like Griffin and certainly think he performed well when he played last season. I just wonder what direction they would go if they lost Portis. Anyone know anything about Galloway? All i've read about him is that he would have been a first day selection last year had he not been injured. I'm wondering if he would be worth grabbing now....

Travis Henry
Henry in his first 2 seasons: 2167 yards, 17 TDsPortis in his first 2 seasons: 3100 yards, 29 TdsYeah....almost the same
he said "Pro-bowl type player"Travis Henry: 2002 Pro-Bowl RBBTW, over past 2 seasons:Travis Henry: 2794yds, 23 TDsClinton Portis: 3100yds, 29 TDsit's not a ridiculous comparison

Here are Portis' #s against KC over his short career:218 yards rushing, 38 yards receiving, 5 TD141 yards rushing, 79 yards receiving, 1 TD130 yards rushing, 75 yards receiving, 4 TD70 yards rushing, 14 yards receiving, 1 TD
wow, guess I was off. Those are some pretty sick numbers. I remember the 5 TD game but I guess I forgot about the 4 TD game and definitely didn't realize it was against the same team.everybody ripped on the Browns for letting Jamal Lewis tear them up, but I guess Portis would also love to face KC every week.

Travis Henry
Didnt Henry restructure his rookie contract because he ran outta money?
he agreed to a 1-year extension (and thus postponed reaching free agency) for $1.25 million salary in 2005 which is well below market value for a RB coming off a Pro Bowl season.Yeah, the rumors were that he was broke. Both he and Portis were 2nd round picks so I assume their rookie contracts were similar. That's why I brought him up. When he had money problems, he apparently didn't feel the need to threaten to hold out.BTW, I think everyone would agree Portis is a better talent but their 2002 numbers were not all that far apart and I think there are some similarities between their situations that made it an appropriate comparison.

I see Ivan K. lurking in this thread. this trade talk isnt making you a little nervous is it?? :lol: I would have to think if this trade actually does go down i would have to downgrade portis just a hair. The Redskins O line isnt close to what denver has.

If this asinine trade goes down, expect Denver to pursue Corey Dillon. There was significant talk of the Broncos pursuing him the first time he almost got out of Cincy, and he's a perfect fit for their offense, provided the injuries that ruined last season arent there. He's just the kind of malcontent they periodically waste money on(unfortunately).
Pursue Dillon, Why? If they get a 2nd round pick from Washington they probably could get Clarett and be set at runningback.

I don't know if it's a given that Griffin would become their starting RB.
Good point. Even if this trade indeed goes through, we're all assuming that Griffin will just step in and be the guy, and it might not be the case.Yes, Griffin performed well in limited duty, and might very well be the heir apparent, but Shanahan may have someone different in mind to be the workhorse that his offense requires.

I have to think that the Patriots can offer more for Portis than the Redskins. They have draft picks up the ying yang and could give them Ty Law if the Broncos wanted secondary help.

Pursue Dillon, Why? If they get a 2nd round pick from Washington they probably could get Clarett and be set at runningback.
I don't think there's any way Washington gives up the #42 pick in the draft AND Champ Bailey just for Clinton Portis.That just seems extremely lopsided in Denver's favor and very unlikely.

Why even waste a 2nd round pick on Clarett?? from what i've seen from Q he is more than capable. plus they have a proven workhorse in Anderson that they could use. they could draft another CB with that 2nd round pick instead.

So let's say this trade goes down. This just about has to be bad news for Portis owners, right? I know Gibbs likes to run the ball, and obviously he would be making a major comittment to Portis, but still, Portis' current situation in Denver is pretty close to ideal from a fantasy standpoint -- good line, good system. The only drawback Portis currently faces is Shanahan's tendency to be less than forthcoming with injury info, but I don't even know that Gibbs is necessarily a huge improvement in that area. Of course Portis would still be productive, but he would be joining a team that for one reason or another has had difficulty running the ball. That will likely change with Portis on board, but still I would think his numbers take at least a little hit?

I see Ivan K. lurking in this thread. this trade talk isnt making you a little nervous is it?? :lol: I would have to think if this trade actually does go down i would have to downgrade portis just a hair. The Redskins O line isnt close to what denver has.
This was my reading too, but thanks for rubbing my nose in it. :angry:

The Redskins have got two superb bookend tackles, and bought in a couple of solid Gs last off-season. They could be an excellent line if they get good coaching - something they will get from Gibbs, which they didn't get from Spurrier.

Travis Henry
Henry in his first 2 seasons: 2167 yards, 17 TDsPortis in his first 2 seasons: 3100 yards, 29 TdsYeah....almost the same
Ignoring the first year, since he didn't play a full season, Henry's #'s are closer than you think:http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235216Rushing yards the last 2 seasons = 2794TDs the last 2 seasons = 23A little bit closer than you think, eh?

I don't think there's any way Washington gives up the #42 pick in the draft AND Champ Bailey just for Clinton Portis.That just seems extremely lopsided in Denver's favor and very unlikely.
Well, think of it this way: Part with a 2nd rounder and an unhappy CB and get a guy that is a top-RB talent?or Wait and deal with the Bailey Problem another way and end up getting something much less valuable. I think that while the deal is clearly lopsided in Denver's favor, the Redskins have to exam this one very closely or risk not getting anything remotely as nice when they (inevitably) have to let Bailey go.HERD

This was my reading too, but thanks for rubbing my nose in it.
:rotflmao: I'm just bitter cuz you have Portis and I dont!!Portis still wont make it past the 5th pick in any draft even if he does go to Wash.I'd like to know why people here dont think Q could be the man in denver if portis leaves. I know the guy is pretty small but that didnt stop him at Oklahoma. The guy was a monster in college, and its not like the Big 12 is a "panzy" conference.

Look at it this way. If Denver doesn't do the deal, what corner can they pick up, Bobby Taylor, Ahmed Plummer, Antoine Winfield?If the Skins don't do the trade, who do they pick up? Malcontent Corey Dillon?An older back like Charlie Garner or Garrison Hearst? Or, gulp, Duce Staley?

It's still a bad idea for Denver. Portis is a once in a generation type of player.
Denver system is top notch for RB's, going back 10 yrsthey've had 6th and 7th round draft choices run very well there, and would stand to improve immensely with the addition of Champand let's see how good Mr Portis REALLY is behind a broken down O-line in WASH...remember Ramsey running for his life? and do you think the running backs were THE cause of the poor run production there?DEN stands to come out of this WAY on top, IMO

Why even waste a 2nd round pick on Clarett?? from what i've seen from Q he is more than capable. plus they have a proven workhorse in Anderson that they could use. they could draft another CB with that 2nd round pick instead.
Nope, no Mike Anderson either. He already requested his release from the Broncos. Looks like they need him to take a paycut and he has delusioned himself into thinking that he can be starting running back somewhere else. As for Shanahan drafting a corner...not too good a chance of that. His track record when it comes to drafting anything but a RB and the occasional decent linebacker is pretty terrible. (ditto that for free agents). Bowlen needs to seriously consider taking that guys GM status away...the sooner the better.

Nope, no Mike Anderson either. He already requested his release from the Broncos. Looks like they need him to take a paycut and he has delusioned himself into thinking that he can be starting running back somewhere else. As for Shanahan drafting a corner...not too good a chance of that. His track record when it comes to drafting anything but a RB and the occasional decent linebacker is pretty terrible. (ditto that for free agents). Bowlen needs to seriously consider taking that guys GM status away...the sooner the better.
but now they could give anderson what he is looking for, with Griffen at the backup.....so maybe Mike staysdepends on what he wants

Denver system is top notch for RB's, going back 10 yrsthey've had 6th and 7th round draft choices run very well there, and would stand to improve immensely with the addition of Champand let's see how good Mr Portis REALLY is behind a broken down O-line in WASH...remember Ramsey running for his life? and do you think the running backs were THE cause of the poor run production there?DEN stands to come out of this WAY on top, IMO
The Skins offensive line isn't broken down. Considering they ran nothing but sprint draws all year, it's tough to evaluate them as a run blocking team, but they have the horses up front to be maulers. Samuels, Jansen, and Thomas could start for any team in the league.As for Ramsey's sack totals, it's interesting that Hasselback wasn't sacked nearly as much. I don't think that was all scheme. Ramsey holds onto the ball. It's a real weakness with him, and if he does end up in Miami or Pittsburgh, I think those teams will find their sack numbers go up too.

Not sure i would describe Washington's O-line as "broken down". Neither do i think their problems in the running game-or in protection for Ramsey-should be blamed on the RB's or the line they had. Personally i lay that blame at the feet of Spurrier and his schemes. I don't think you'll see the same results this year in Washington as we did last year with Spurrier.I don't disagree that this MAY change Portis' output. However, i don't necessarily think it's catastrophic.

(Signing Champ to big money) + (Al Wilson getting the franchise tag) = Ian Gold wearing Midnight Green.

Look at it this way. If Denver doesn't do the deal, what corner can they pick up, Bobby Taylor, Ahmed Plummer, Antoine Winfield?If the Skins don't do the trade, who do they pick up? Malcontent Corey Dillon?An older back like Charlie Garner or Garrison Hearst? Or, gulp, Duce Staley?
Exactly. Paying $6 million plus for a cover corner is insane in this market. And Bailey isn't Deion Sanders in his prime, here. Here's a nice player, but he's terribly overrated. I'd rather have any of the other FA agent CBs when you consider salary considerations.

and let's see how good Mr Portis REALLY is behind a broken down O-line in WASH
Jansen and Samuels are two of the top talents in the league at T. I think you'll find Gibbs will have them breaking down people, not the other way around.

Man, what a story whether it's true or not! As an NFC East guy, I'd be livid to see Portis land on a division rival. One thing that puzzles me about this story though, if the impetus is Portis' new contract demands, why are the Broncos prepared to give in to Champ's demands? He passed up a $55 million, $15 million signing bonus deal from the Skins already.Cheers
Haven't seen anybody address this yet so...The difference in being willing to pay Bailey but not Portis is that Portis has two years left on his existing contract. Shanahan is more than willing to restructure guys' rookie contracts in the last year of their deal but will not restructure with two years remaining. Also, they haven't said what Portis has been asking for but I think it's pretty huge while Bailey's is a little more cap friendly with more money up front.

In addition, the Broncos think they can plug Q Griffin in and get someone almost as good, or even as good as Portis.

Exactly. Paying $6 million plus for a cover corner is insane in this market. And Bailey isn't Deion Sanders in his prime, here. Here's a nice player, but he's terribly overrated. I'd rather have any of the other FA agent CBs when you consider salary considerations.
I'm on record in another thread as saying the Skins would be smart to trade Bailey and possibly pursue a cheaper CB option in FA. I agree his salary demands seem too high for Washington as I don't think he's a Deion-type of playmaker. But, that is partly because they have major needs on the DL where the money would be better spent and because they already have a very capable CB in Fred Smoot.A team like the Broncos does not have a #1 CB and has been trying to get one for a long, long time and have wasted a lot of picks and money in many failed attempts. They've also shown the ability to find unheralded RBs and turn them into stars so Portis might not be as valuable to them as is often assumed (or at least might not be to them in their minds).As for Bailey being "terribly overrated"...do you disagree that he is the best CB in the league? I believe CB is the second highest paid position in football, which is a pretty good indicator how valuable it is. If he is really the best CB in the league as most people seem to believe (even Troy Vincent gave him his props), then I find it hard to consider him truly overrated.BTW, RB is one of the lowest paid positions in football.

Users who are viewing this thread