What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fleener (1 Viewer)

Enjoy. I am out and feeling good about not trying to chase phantom points next week.
So you cut him AFTER his breakout performance?

Well, that's one way to do it I guess.

While I don't disagree with others about Fleener's ugly drops and route running, he's getting a ton of targets in maybe the highest volume pass offense in the league, and just had 100+ and a TD at an incredibly thin position. Fantasy is largely about opportunity and there aren't many TEs in a better position to succeed than Fleener.

The arrow is pointing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo, no. Without looking at the stats it seems TE ff  scoring is down so far this yr and tough to come by. As long as he keeps getting the targets I'm holding. And starting him (my only other choice right now is Gates )
I didn't think he was that bad either. He just has to get comfortable with Brees. Cooks looked off too, he and Brees just could not connect.

Tex

So if he caught 7 of 11 targets and had several drops in those 4 incompletions, it sounds like he must at least be doing a decent job of getting open.

As to the reliance on shootouts and garbage time, the Saints are currently 0-3 and 31st in team defense so it seems like that may not be a rare condition.

I think there's certainly a risk that we're back to 1 catch for 8 yards next week but I am cautiously optimistic.

So if he caught 7 of 11 drops and had several drops in those 4 incompletions, it sounds like he must at least be doing a decent job of getting open.

As to the reliance on shootouts and garbage time, the Saints are currently 0-3 and 31st in team defense so it seems like that may not be a rare condition.

I think there's certainly a risk that we're back to 1 catch for 8 yards next week but I am cautiously optimistic.
Nothing better than a receiver that gets open on a team with a 31st ranked defense. Not like they can just hand it off to Mark every down.

They gave him a 5 year, $36M deal with an $8M signing bonus. So he's going to keep getting the ball, no matter how bad he may look doing it. He got 27.4 pts in ffpc scoring. Lets not complain too much. So far this has been an awful year at the TE position. I am sure Gronk, Reed, and Olsen owners all wish they had hands of stone Fleener this week.

He did a nice job. The two deep graps were very Grahamesque, which is what Brees wants.

Brees will throw the ball through Fleener's head and publicly embarrass him until he catches the ball. He will catch that damned ball.

He did a nice job. The two deep graps were very Grahamesque, which is what Brees wants.

Brees will throw the ball through Fleener's head and publicly embarrass him until he catches the ball. He will catch that damned ball.
If I were a fantasy owner the thing I would be giddy about today is that seam play that went for about 30.  That was classic Bree's to graham.  That's what the saints want from the position and if that starts working, then it's going to be 5-8 catches a week (not 8 seam catches).  

With a bad defense and a pass heavy offense in the ingredients, the Fleener gumbo is going to be delicious. 

If I were a fantasy owner the thing I would be giddy about today is that seam play that went for about 30.  That was classic Bree's to graham.  That's what the saints want from the position and if that starts working, then it's going to be 5-8 catches a week (not 8 seam catches).  

With a bad defense and a pass heavy offense in the ingredients, the Fleener gumbo is going to be delicious. 
Yep, agree on the seam route, that was one of the two. - Not only that, Brees went right back to him on that very same route. after he had apparently run the wrong route or not been aware of the ball placement. Brees knows it works so he goes back to it and Fleener delivered on the trust. That's huge.

To tell you the truth looking back at it 8 targets last week should have been the harbinger of something big coming making Fleener a buy low (last week). Oh well. I'm looking forward to his work with Brees for sure.

He looks fine when he has a good play,  but he's really inconsistent.  Sometimes he looks just terrible but since it isn't every play it's probably a mental thing. 

Huge upside in this offense if he gets things figured out and can play confident. 

He also made a really tough grab on the seam pass in traffic, taking a hard hit in the process.  So he doesn't have bad hands - it's a mental thing. 

It's all about opportunity and upside at TE, and Fleener has it in spades. I know most people preach talent over situation (especially in dynasty leagues), but on a year to year basis opportunity is just as important,  if not more. 

Many of us thought that it was Jimmy Graham that made the NO TE position valuable until an old broken down Ben Watson showed us how much upside the situation held last season. The situation is what drove the price and expectations up on Fleener, and the situation is well in tact. I don't care if Fleener is "good" at football or not,  as long as he's going to get targets in this offence he'll have more upside than most of the TE pool.  Yes, I realize Snead didn't play Monday night when Fleener got 11 targets, but he was playing the previous week when Fleener got 8 targets. There's going to be no shortage of targets to go around, and Brees has a history of making mid -high fantasy TE1s. 

The Snead injury probably gave Fleener increased opportunity, but by the same token a toe injury can be a tricky thing so who knows how long it takes Snead to return.

The Snead injury probably gave Fleener increased opportunity, but by the same token a toe injury can be a tricky thing so who knows how long it takes Snead to return.
I'm not sure about that since he had 8 targets the week before when Snead was healthy. Seems like Thomas and Coleman got the bumps with Snead out.

I'm not sure about that since he had 8 targets the week before when Snead was healthy. Seems like Thomas and Coleman got the bumps with Snead out.

That's what I said Monday night. No clue why people are automatically associating Fleener's good game with Snead being out when it was clearly Thomas/Coleman who benefited from that. Thomas/Coleman had 15 targets between in Games 1 and 2. They got 19 in Game 3, more than a 2.5X bump  That's a more obvious bump than Fleener's 8 in Game 2 to 11 in Game 3 in a shootout. In other words, I can see Fleener continuing his success regardless of Snead being in or out and that was the opinion going into the season. He sucked in Games 1 and 2 for reasons that had nothing to do with Snead.

Drew Brees said his "trust factor and confidence level" in Coby Fleener "just continues to go up."
"We’re still growing, big time," Brees said. "But I think there were some things that happened out here [Monday night] where it’s the way that I envisioned. The way that we’ve been talking about, the way I've been communicating to him and we’ve been working on it during practice. So when those things begin to happen, the trust factor and the confidence level just continues to go up." Fleener exploded for a 7-109-1 line on 11 targets in the Week 3 loss to the Falcons and will again be a mid-range TE1 in a dream matchup with the Chargers this Sunday.

Source: ESPN.com
Sep 28 - 12:29 PM

The Monday nite performance was encouraging but I have a sneaking suspicion that Fleener's upside will be limited due to his receiving ability. He is constantly fighting the ball and just isn't a natural catcher. This will translate into a inconsistent performances moving forward and lots of frustration for those of us who are invested in Fleener. But there is hope!

Ok whats the play here with Fleener? I could handle the "new playbook" argument for the first few weeks, but not sure if I can still stay with him after his snap count dropped over the weekend. Would be interested to hear what people are doing here.

Ok whats the play here with Fleener? I could handle the "new playbook" argument for the first few weeks, but not sure if I can still stay with him after his snap count dropped over the weekend. Would be interested to hear what people are doing here.
Dropping him as my TE 2. 

Holding. Next best option is barnidge who doesn't have the ceiling fleener has.

Weird situation. His problem has always been drops. But in his last 3 games he's caught 12 of 13 targets. 

But obviously 13 targets isn't enough over 3 games

Holding for now, may even start him this week, only other option is Henry ugh

I'll probably start him against the Niners.   

He nearly scored a TD on a 14-yard pass, but got knocked out of bounds at the 2.   Missed a 2-pt conversion too.

Two decent options possibly available on the wires are Eric Ebron and Ladarius Green.  I am looking to pick one of those guys up because I cant figure out wth Fleener is.

I'll probably start him against the Niners.   

He nearly scored a TD on a 14-yard pass, but got knocked out of bounds at the 2.   Missed a 2-pt conversion too.
I saw that play.  This guy is so soft.  I had just flipped over from watching little Julian Edelman run into two guys at the 5 yard line and fight through it to fall forward into the endzone.  Then not 2 minutes later I watched Coby Fleener at 250lbs with a full head of steam run into a couple DBs half his size at the 1 yard line and it was like he ran into a brick wall.

It wasn't a "he should have had a touchdown" play.  It was a "he didn't score a touchdown because he's not good enough" play.

Same deal on the two point conversion.  Took a shovel pass and should have gotten in, but went down like a rock at the first little bit of contact.

Austin Hooper (ATL) might be worth a shot, probably more geared towards dynasty or keeper leagues. Tamme is out, and Toilolo is more of a blocker. 

Yeah Fleener does not look good.   I wish I could sell him in my dynasty leagues...   Need a few more big games from Brees then which is certainly possible if Fleener can actually do his part.  

Getting stuffed at the 2 was pathetic, that should have been an easy TD by either cutting it back or just powering through more assertively. 

Saw a Rotoworld 1 liner on Fleener.... 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/66234/77/dose-quiet-trade-deadline?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

" … Coby Fleener played just 34 percent of the offensive snaps in Week 8 against the Seahawks. That’s his lowest snap share of the season, and Fleener seems to have been passed on the depth chart by Josh Hill. … "

Looking for more info, but came up empty....   Any insight?  I am in need of a TE pickup.... 
They were pounding Hightower. Think Hill is more of a big body.

Something tells me they will not need Hill as much against the putrid SF D.

I don't think the Fleener game was any different than what we used to see with Graham vs the Seahawks. Focus on the run, don't make mistakes, limit the downfield passing, and Seattle's LBs and DBs are great at covering the big receivers. Fleener looked fine and he almost scored. He hasn't been dropping the ball recently. What you get now is the standard risk of any receiver in the Saints' offense, which is the risk of their spreading it around and game-planning for opponents. You also get big upside.

Rudolph should have been a good play vs the Bears and he had essentially the same productivity.

Getting stuffed at the 2 was pathetic, that should have been an easy TD by either cutting it back or just powering through more assertively. 
Jimmy Graham would have scored, but Seattle's backfield is, you know, pretty good at tackling. The Saints kicked 4 FGs, they were repeatedly stuffed inside the 5.

Jimmy Graham would have scored, but Seattle's backfield is, you know, pretty good at tackling.
Sure Seattle deserves credit,  but it was a weak effort by Fleener.   He didn't even square his pads to the end zone... Should have just powered it through those guys not try to get to the corner. 

Dropped him during his bye.  Only worth bye week fill-in in smaller leagues.  

Same thing again this week - "nearly" scored a TD, got some targets. Are more people jumping ship on him? Ebron and Rudolph are available in my league.

Same thing again this week - "nearly" scored a TD, got some targets. Are more people jumping ship on him? Ebron and Rudolph are available in my league.
I think Ebron is a MUCH better option..potentially top 5 rest of season if he can stay on the field.  I even dropped Fleener for Lance Kendricks (Kendricks is #1 in TE targets per game over the last 4 weeks).  Good luck.

Still #12 TE in one of my leagues, anyway. Not quite Jack Doyle numbers, but hey Jack gets to play with Andrew Luck.

VikingFrog said:
Dropped in both my leagues.  Which means he will explode.
Same here. Had him in two leagues and dumped him. Kept holding thinking the starting TE in the NO offense had to eventually become more productive. Nine weeks is a big enough sample size for me. I'm out.

Users who are viewing this thread