Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Carter_Can_Fly

Andrew Luck..... Love fest inside....

3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Don't blame them.  They purchase tickets or the upcoming year based on Luck playing, now they are getting a lesser product because of Luck's decision. 

Injuries ended his career, essentially. Would you feel this same way if you saw him snap his leg in half recently? No, because that would be ridiculous and entitled. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Injuries ended his career, essentially. Would you feel this same way if you saw him snap his leg in half recently? No, because that would be ridiculous and entitled. 

From that standpoint, I would agree with you.

29 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

Good for him :shrug: 

Only young once.  Go enjoy it.

Totally agree.  As a dude a little older than him, if I had that kinda dough, I'd probably do exactly what he's doing.

Enjoy life.  It's short.  Some people are fortunate enough to escape the daily grind... not me... but "Luck" is...!

• Like 1

Among QBs with > 2000 passing attempts, 2012-2018:

• Completion percentage: #20 (just behind E.Manning)
  • TD% #7 (just behind P.Rivers)
  • INT% #14 (just behind J.Flacco)
  • Passer rating #20 (just behind E.Manning)
  • ANY/A #17 (just behind C.Palmer)

Bummer for Indy that he's quitting but it's not like he was the Second Coming that everyone expected him to be, anyway.

7 hours ago, CalBear said:

Among QBs with > 2000 passing attempts, 2012-2018:

• Completion percentage: #20 (just behind E.Manning)
  • TD% #7 (just behind P.Rivers)
  • INT% #14 (just behind J.Flacco)
  • Passer rating #20 (just behind E.Manning)
  • ANY/A #17 (just behind C.Palmer)

Bummer for Indy that he's quitting but it's not like he was the Second Coming that everyone expected him to be, anyway.

Just think what his numbers would have been with some protection and a decent team in general.  He knew the tram was never going to built to take on the great teams like NE or Pburgh.  Heck, the Colts are not even as good the Browns now either.  

10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Horrible fans. The guy sacrificed his body for 7 years for the same ####ty franchise that got Peyton's neck broken. And rather than half-heartedly take their money for the next half decade while rehabbing constantly like he could have, he ends it like few have the balls to do. His passion waned so he stopped taking their money. 

Scumbag move to boo a guy like that. Boo the owner and GMs who built the teams that got your last two franchise QBs killed. 

Colts fans

9 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

:shrug: Just saying I get why they're pissed. Doesn't make them horrible fans. The guys quit on them. Yea - the Colts front office sucks for not protecting the guy with a decent OL. Yea, football is a violent sport, I get why people retire early.  But a week before the season - I'd be pissed to. It's ok.

It was rude but spontaneous. All of those people just got the news flashed across their phones that their team went from Super Bowl contender to maybe playoffs. Can’t blame them in the moment. It was instant, raw emotion. 

And to add, while watching the clip of the booing, had a hard time really hearing it distinctively. It was a few, not 65,000 fans. 

Edited by Billy Bats

Luck dynasty owners, is he a drop now?  Seems almost certain he doesn’t play this season.  He seemed pretty broken, but do you keep him and hold out hope that he comes back in a year?  :kicksrock:

17 minutes ago, Billy Bats said:

It was rude but spontaneous. All of those people just got the news flashed across their phones that their team went from Super Bowl contender to maybe playoffs. Can’t blame them in the moment. It was instant, raw emotion. 

And to add, while watching the clip of the booing, had a hard time really hearing it distinctively. It was a few, not 65,000 fans. 

As a lifelong Colts fan, I would question the loyalty of any fan who didn't have some kind of extreme negative reaction to this.  I am a fan of the Colts team, not our former QB.  While, I'm happy for him, he totally screwed over our team, city and state. All of the people hating on the Colts fans need to check themselves.  Put yourselves in our position. What if your team is a contender and your starting QB just suddenly retired.  I'm sure the reaction would be, "Oh my, poor guy, just needs to move on with his life." Hell no!! We are pissed and those few in attendance let him know.  Yes, he did have to scramble and run a lot early and yes, our former GM was terrible.  There is truth to the rumor that his shoulder was busted up in a snowboarding incident. All that being a given, a man doesn't just quit on his team, city and state like that.  To wrap up, if this is what he wanted and now his mental state is revealed, the Colts will eventually be better for this.  Chad Kelly is looking great, btw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lifelong Colts fan who was watching the game on TV when the news broke. My immediate reaction was NO!!!  This team has the most promise of any since the Peyton prime era.  Tons of talent on both sides of the ball. Tons of young players with great attitude and character.  If you listed to our GM all off season it was about building a culture.  Quitting on the team 2 weeks before the season isn’t a high culture move  

Andrew Luck went through a lot and has every right to make this decision but the timing of it is indeed the biggest problem. I think the booing fans last night were likely booing the decision and the timing of it rather than the man himself.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, dnurk said:

Lifelong Colts fan who was watching the game on TV when the news broke. My immediate reaction was NO!!!  This team has the most promise of any since the Peyton prime era.  Tons of talent on both sides of the ball. Tons of young players with great attitude and character.  If you listed to our GM all off season it was about building a culture.  Quitting on the team 2 weeks before the season isn’t a high culture move  

Andrew Luck went through a lot and has every right to make this decision but the timing of it is indeed the biggest problem. I think the booing fans last night were likely booing the decision and the timing of it rather than the man himself.  

I couldn't agree more.  Thanks for posting this!!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ipljeff said:

As a lifelong Colts fan, I would question the loyalty of any fan who didn't have some kind of extreme negative reaction to this.  I am a fan of the Colts team, not our former QB.  While, I'm happy for him, he totally screwed over our team, city and state. All of the people hating on the Colts fans need to check themselves.  Put yourselves in our position. What if your team is a contender and your starting QB just suddenly retired.  I'm sure the reaction would be, "Oh my, poor guy, just needs to move on with his life." Hell no!! We are pissed and those few in attendance let him know.  Yes, he did have to scramble and run a lot early and yes, our former GM was terrible.  There is truth to the rumor that his shoulder was busted up in a snowboarding incident. All that being a given, a man doesn't just quit on his team, city and state like that.  To wrap up, if this is what he wanted and now his mental state is revealed, the Colts will eventually be better for this.  Chad Kelly is looking great, btw.

I get that the timing was bad, retiring two weeks before the start of the season, but it's clear that his new injuries were not healing to where he could have played, so he made the tough decision to retire, which speaks volumes about his character in a good way.  Not sure mental state you are talking about, but I suspect you think every football player should take the meathead "Me tough, I will run through walls to play" mentality, which is so outdated. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

30 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I know it's only a game, but this feels like a death in the family. 

Exactly!!

1 hour ago, ipljeff said:

Said this in another thread. Some of you guys need to grow up. You're a fan of a football team.  There are more important things than that. Granted the timing wasn't ideal but that's the way things go sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

13 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Isray was just trying to keep him around for the ticket sales. It would be great if Indy tries to get ELI and he tells them to shove it though. I wonder if people will blame Josh McDaniels for leaving now? 

13 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Man Indy is so tired of this... let Luck have it

https://twitter.com/RichNye13/status/1165445173909827584/video/1

Indy fans don't deserve the guy. He was such a talent injuries got him unfortunately like so many other talents who were robbed of their careers. People don't know the mental part of the game is as taxing as the physical especially a guy who's injured constantly. You want to blame someone, blame your ####### pill popping owner and terrible GMs for not protecting the franchise and getting him Oline help for all those years. 

12 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

:shrug: Just saying I get why they're pissed. Doesn't make them horrible fans. The guys quit on them. Yea - the Colts front office sucks for not protecting the guy with a decent OL. Yea, football is a violent sport, I get why people retire early.  But a week before the season - I'd be pissed to. It's ok.

They are barking up the wrong tree. Want to blame someone maybe blame their pill popping drug addict owner for not investing to protect the franchise star player. :shrug:

2 hours ago, ipljeff said:

Maybe blame the Owner the pill popper, your GM and the Head coaches over the years for not adequately protecting the franchise? Just a thought. Dude did everything in his power to play. The team knew he was retiring 2 weeks ago if not longer. Isray is conning you guys big time. probably knew in 2017 when he was giving lip service about Luck would play knew he was missing the whole season 

1 hour ago, Tool said:

Said this in another thread. Some of you guys need to grow up. You're a fan of a football team.  There are more important things than that. Granted the timing wasn't ideal but that's the way things go sometimes.

Me a neanderthal tough guy. Luck not.... this mentality needs to stop. This is why so many people with depression don't come out publicly with it because people like this will just tell them suck it up, stop making excuses, be a man. It's the old western cowboy approach. Instead of seeking help to get better they just hide it and make it worse. 

Luck took the right approach. mentally drained and lost passion for the game. I'd rather a guy quite for not loving the game then he lost passion yrs ago and simple in it for the money and won't give his all. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Can't say I blame Indy fans for being pissed. Timing, timing, timing.

Then Blame Isray not Luck. Isray was just trying to sell tickets which is why the timing was now. Would you rather Luck take his money to sit for the next few yrs or do the right thing and retire? 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

First off, my condolences to the Colts fans. Luck was a great talent that unfortunately had a career derailed by injuries. You guys have a young core of really good players and a ton of cap space. I don't think it will take long to get back on track.

As far as Luck goes, the timing was unfortunate, but I thing the message and presentation was a little bit off. None of us should ever criticize decisions other people make. We've never walked a mile in Luck's shoes.

I think if Luck mentioned that since joining the league that he's had 1,000 therapy appointments and spent 5,000 hours rehabbing and he's hasn't been right in years. That he can't make it though a day without pain killers. That he can't even walk his dog anymore people would have a different perspective. If he cam out and said he's tried everything he possible could this time around months later he isn't anywhere close to being able to play and apologized for leaving the team in a tight spot right before the season is set to start, he would be getting a ton of sympathy. (I made up those numbers, but people should get what I mean.)

Luck has always had a much different path to the NFL than most players, and to me he kind of sounded more like he didn't want to deal with things anymore and he almost sounded like he has better things to do.  All he needed to do was indicate his injuries made it impossible for him to play anymore . . . as opposed to choosing not to play anymore. IMO, if he went that route, we would be honoring him like a war hero instead of some people saying he was soft and quit on his team.

18 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

All he needed to do was indicate his injuries made it impossible for him to play anymore . . . as opposed to choosing not to play anymore. IMO, if he went that route, we would be honoring him like a war hero instead of some people saying he was soft and quit on his team.

Hardly.  He hasn't played long enough and in my mind he ranks 4th on the Colts all-time list of best QBs. 1) Manning, 2) Unitas, 3) Jones, 4) Luck.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Hardly.  He hasn't played long enough and in my mind he ranks 4th on the Colts all-time list of best QBs. 1) Manning, 2) Unitas, 3) Jones, 4) Luck.

I meant more from the perspective that he gave it his all and his body broke down. Not so much his place in Colts history. 

4 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Just think what his numbers would have been with some protection and a decent team in general.  He knew the tram was never going to built to take on the great teams like NE or Pburgh.  Heck, the Colts are not even as good the Browns now either.  

And that narrative just makes him the second-most-overrated QB of all time, behind Elway who got the same benefit of the doubt because of his similarly over-hyped draft pedigree.

Fact is, nothing Luck did jumps off the paper as special. If he hadn't been touted as massive can't-miss prospect a year before he even finished school, we'd be thinking about whether he or Nick Foles was better. (Their rate stats are quite similar).

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I meant more from the perspective that he gave it his all and his body broke down. Not so much his place in Colts history. 

Only Luck knows his body and who is for me to speculate on that.  All I know he threw for almost 4600 yards, had 35 TDs with 15 INTs in 2018.  I suppose he didn't have the stomach to rehab another time and I can respect that, but a week before the season starts?  Really?

3 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

Luck dynasty owners, is he a drop now?  Seems almost certain he doesn’t play this season.  He seemed pretty broken, but do you keep him and hold out hope that he comes back in a year?  :kicksrock:

Let us be perfectly clear: he's never, ever going to play again.

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Only Luck knows his body and who is for me to speculate on that.  All I know he threw for almost 4600 yards, had 35 TDs with 15 INTs in 2018.  I suppose he didn't have the stomach to rehab another time and I can respect that, but a week before the season starts?  Really?

He got hurt again in April, I believe. He's been rehabbing his latest injury for 4 months, and they probably were pressuring him to get healthy (like he is in control of his recovery speed). No one really knows the details, but he could have been looking at another couple months of therapy and then be expected to come in an be a Top 3 QB.

Players get injured and injuries can take a long time to recover. It's tough for teams to be competitive when their main QB goes down, but the Colts have had ample time to assess the situation and be better prepared (and should have already seen this movie from a couple of years ago).

What would you have preferred Luck do instead? Go on IR designated to return and miss half the season? Sit every week for several months  to start the season not on IR, try to come back and not be able to and then retire in December? I am not trying to be a tool here, just trying to figure out if he got hurt in April and it took him 4 months to determine he didn't have it in him to be in perpetual rehab mode, what would you have liked as a better solution?

2 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

Let us be perfectly clear: he's never, ever going to play again.

I agree with this.  He's done.  Time to put that book back on the shelf and grab a new one.

The Colts have reached a financial settlement with retired QB Andrew Luck.

The Colts could have recouped $24.8 million from Luck—$12.8 million from his signing bonus and another $12 million in roster bonuses—but instead the team is letting him keep it all. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the settlement was reached last week, suggesting the Colts have known Luck was retiring for some time. It's a nice gesture by the Colts and one that wasn't afforded to Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders when they retired early. Luck is leaving $58.1 million on the table by calling it quits, but said injuries had taken the joy out of playing. Twenty nine with a degree in architectural design from Stanford, we're excited see what's next for Luck now that his playing days are over.

... huhn...

Edited by The Frankman

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

He got hurt again in April, I believe. He's been rehabbing his latest injury for 4 months, and they probably were pressuring him to get healthy (like he is in control of his recovery speed). No one really knows the details, but he could have been looking at another couple months of therapy and then be expected to come in an be a Top 3 QB.

Players get injured and injuries can take a long time to recover. It's tough for teams to be competitive when their main QB goes down, but the Colts have had ample time to assess the situation and be better prepared (and should have already seen this movie from a couple of years ago).

What would you have preferred Luck do instead? Go on IR designated to return and miss half the season? Sit every week for several months  to start the season not on IR, try to come back and not be able to and then retire in December? I am not trying to be a tool here, just trying to figure out if he got hurt in April and it took him 4 months to determine he didn't have it in him to be in perpetual rehab mode, what would you have liked as a better solution?

Did he get hurt, or is this a congenital thing?  How long has he really known about it?

8 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

My guess is that it had become clear at that point he wasn't going to be able to play this year. I would think the Colts front office had an idea he was likely to miss the year for awhile- much like they knew with the shoulder a couple years ago. 

16 hours ago, Faust said:

Smart move.

Cowboys did the same for Romo, $5M (technically it played out as he asked to be released so they couldn’t ask for it back, but he was retiring regardless - and they knew the ramifications of releasing him.)

The Fords made Megatron pay back his $1M in prorated signing bonus from his 8 year deal signed in 2012. 3-1/2 years on he won’t let it go.They did the same thing to Barry ($1.8M), even took him to arbitration.

Edited by BobbyLayne

On 8/13/2019 at 9:45 PM, [icon] said:

Remember when luck and irsay said the neck was nothing and he’d be at camp, er... week 1, er... 

There is major precedent for caution here, featuring this exact same cast of characters.

You are MORE than welcome to charge forth like it’s all smoke, but mocking others for not doing so makes you look silly. 

Like I said... 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, JohnnyU said:

Did he get hurt, or is this a congenital thing?  How long has he really known about it?

This whole aggrieved, pathetic fan thing you're doing is in such incredibly bad taste.  You've been on this congenital disorder thing now for two days, one has to wonder if a "birth defect" is the sort of thing you want/need to be confirmed in order to have any empathy for a guy who is hurt, has been hurt, and decided to take care of himself.  

My opinion is going to be a bit unpopular...but I don’t remember this type of outpouring of support for Ricky Williams/Vontae Davis.

Davis was summarily vilified and ridiculed less than 12 months ago.  To me this sounds a lot like, we like the people we like and so in Luck’s case this got couched as a ‘courageous’ decisions versus a ‘disrespectful’ one which is essentially how Davis’s abrupt retirement was treated.

Edited by TheDirtyWord
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDirtyWord said:

My opinion is going to be a bit unpopular...but I don’t remember this type of outpouring of support for Ricky Williams/Vontae Davis.

Davis was summarily vilified and ridiculed less than 12 months ago.  To me this sounds a lot like, we like the people we like and so in Luck’s case this got couched as a ‘courageous’ decisions versus a ‘disrespectful’ one which is essentially how Davis’s abrupt retirement was treated.

Motivation was similar in Vontae Davis's case.  But I don't think the reaction to Luck's retirement would have been the same if he decided just not to put the pads back on after halftime.

9 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

at least they didnt throw batteries.

Even Philly only threw snow balls at Santa.