What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Luck..... Love fest inside.... (3 Viewers)

By Chris Wessling. I copy and pasted the article and posted it below the link.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455034/article/andrew-luck-will-be-greatest-ever-jim-fassel-says?campaign=Twitter_atn

The numbers don't show it due to a handful of drops, but Andrew Luck's performance in theIndianapolis Colts' Wild Card Round victory was his most impressive of a season in which he led the NFL in touchdowns.

In their wildest dreams, owner Jim Irsay and former president Bill Polian couldn't have foreseen a more natural successor to Peyton Manning, the NFL's lone five-time MVP.

Anything seems possible when the two quarterbacks meet Sunday for the opportunity to advance to the AFC Championship game.

Co-Hosting The Coaches Show on Tuesday, former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel suggested the Luck could even surpass Manning in NFL lore before it's all said and done.

"He'll go down as the greatest quarterback of all time," Fassel stated. "The numbers he has already put up as a young quarterback, far superior to anybody else that came in the league in their first four, five or six years the numbers he's put up. If he keeps at that pace ... Whoa!"

Fassel is not the first to express that lofty opinion.

Former Stanford teammate and current Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin went on record in October of 2013, asserting that Luck "can be the greatest quarterback who ever played the game of football."

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson has pointed out Luck's similarities to hoops hero Michael Jordan, while coach Chuck Pagano has insisted his "Meal Ticket" will go down as "probably one of the best, if not the best ever to play this game."

NFL Media's Charley Casserly recently anointed Luck the best young quarterback he has ever seen.

After Luck's rookie season, Around the NFL predicted that the precocious quarterback would be asurefire future Hall of Famer and a legend of the game. At that time, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell posited that Luck was already the NFL's most physically gifted quarterback.

Luck draws so much praise so early in his career because he has actually exceeded unreasonably lofty expectations as the best, most NFL-ready prospect since Manning or John Elway.

No other first-, second- or third-year quarterback has ever had so much responsibility placed on his shoulders.

Already a prodigy in the pocket and a fourth-quarter comeback artist, Luck combines ideal body type,uncommon athleticism, top-notch arm talent, a high football IQ and "off-the-charts" natural leadership with impeccable instincts.

To parlay those attributes into one of the greatest NFL careers, Luck will have to hoist several Lombardi Trophies over the next decade.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast previews the Divisional Round and ranks the eight remaining quarterbacks in the playoffs. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

Rotoworld:

Andrew Luck completed 27-of-43 passes for 265 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Colts' Divisional Round upset of the Broncos.

He added two scrambles for 21 yards. Both of Luck's interceptions were essentially bad "punts," deep bombs thrown on third-and-long plays. He was otherwise steady, continuing to carry the Colts' offense. His touchdown passes were good to Dwayne Allen from three yards out in the second quarter and Hakeem Nicks from 15 in the third. The Colts will take on the Patriots in the AFC Championship next week at Gillette Stadium. Indianapolis has opened as a 7.5-point underdog with a Vegas total of 54 points.

Jan 11 - 7:55 PM

Rotoworld:

Andrew Luck completed 12-of-33 passes for 126 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions in Sunday's AFC Championship Game loss at New England.

Facing an elite Patriots defense in driving rain, Luck and his teammates melted down. It puts a damper on an otherwise highly encouraging third NFL season. With OC Pep Hamilton taking the chains off, Luck ranked third in the league in pass attempts (616) and predictably turned that volume into a No. 2 fantasy finish a the QB position -- behind only Aaron Rodgers. Luck will sign a massive contract extension this season and then be back as a top-2 fantasy quarterback option once again, this time with explosive Donte Moncrief hopefully bookending T.Y. Hilton. At just 25 years old, we've seen plenty of evidence already that Luck is a rare breed at the game's most important position.

Jan 18 - 10:32 PM

Luck is a very very good QB. I doubt his issue is going to be having the skill or head to get to the SB, it is going to be dealing with his HC and GM. Pagano seems like a perfectly above average coach so right now I would put the blame more so on Griggs. Haven't been giving Luck much help with his recent drafts. And of course there is the Richardson deal.

Just mentioned on Sports Center that Luck is in the process of finalizing a $25 million a year extension that will make him the highest paid player in the league. That won't help when trying to build a better team around him.

Luck is a very very good QB. I doubt his issue is going to be having the skill or head to get to the SB, it is going to be dealing with his HC and GM. Pagano seems like a perfectly above average coach so right now I would put the blame more so on Griggs. Haven't been giving Luck much help with his recent drafts. And of course there is the Richardson deal.
I agree with the Richardson trade but not so sure I agree about not giving him help via the draft.

Fleener, Allen and Hilton all came in with Luck

The year after they drafted Luck they took 2 offensive linemen in the 1st 3 rounds (not sure how good those guys are though)

This year they added Moncrief in 2nd round and an offensive lineman in the 1st

Yeah, he'll be just fine. Need to get some offensive line cohesiveness, keep developing the 2 TE's, Moncreif and Hilton is already a stud. I 100% agree on the RB thing though, and we saw it early in the game. Boom dropping those 2 passes on our side (probably would have ended up in 7pts) while Vereen makes a couple of great catches on the other side of the ball. Just can't keep having a glaring need for a skilled player at that position. Several times I saw the line block for what should have been a 8+ yrd run, and Boom gets us 4. And if we have Tipton or Richardson in they'd have gotten 2 at best. It's just not good enough when you've got a great passer like Luck in there.

He'll be OK, but a few times early in that game the video crew got a really good shot of him under center, or pre-snap. You could just see it in his eyes, he's not ready for that big of a stage yet. Give him another year, maybe 2. Plenty of time. imo

Just mentioned on Sports Center that Luck is in the process of finalizing a $25 million a year extension that will make him the highest paid player in the league. That won't help when trying to build a better team around him.
I think step #1 is getting the contract. Step #2 is modifying to allow for players acquisition. Make sense? Brady's had huge contracts and then modified I do believe.

I think step #1 is getting the contract. Step #2 is modifying to allow for players acquisition. Make sense? Brady's had huge contracts and then modified I do believe.
Brady never really had huge deals. Maybe once he was near the top of the league. But he consistently took less money if not half as much money.

Russell Wilson will then eclipse Luck's contract and yeah, both guys will have their contracts redone. It's like they want the stigma of 'I was the highest paid player in the league' title. However make no mistake, these teams will rely on their QB going forward because of cap issues. Wilson will lose that defense eventually via FA. That's when it comes down to the GM, coaches and scouting and drafting quality.

Brady never really had huge deals. Maybe once he was near the top of the league. But he consistently took less money if not half as much money.
Fair enough.

I like Luck as a player as much as anyone, but the pass this guy is getting for his playoff performances is pretty shocking. 12 interceptions already in only six playoff games is...a lot.

I like Luck as a player as much as anyone, but the pass this guy is getting for his playoff performances is pretty shocking. 12 interceptions already in only six playoff games is...a lot.
Like Elway, the mythology of what a great prospect he was has glossed over his overall performance, which has been good but not great, and his playoff performance, which has been flat-out bad. Elway threw 8 INTs in his first six playoff games, and didn't manage a playoff game without an INT until the 1989 season's playoffs. That was the conference championship against Cleveland, and he followed it up with one of the worst QB performances ever in the Super Bowl against the Niners (passer rating 19.4).

2014 was Luck's third year in the league. It's also the first year he cracked the top 10 in any of the rate stats (#7 in yards/attempt and passer rating, #3 in TD%). Yet he's talked about as the best young QB in the league, when he's clearly not been the best passer from his own rookie class (Wilson), and even Kaepernick has competitive rate stats.

I expect the next argument will be the same one the Elway supporters went with: "Those teams wouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs without Luck!"

Fair enough.
Not sure how he can "consistently" do anything when he's only signed 2 contracts since his rookie deal, but it's a fair point.

He signed a 6 year $60 million deal in 2005 which made him one of the highest paid players in the league, although it was cap friendly and probably a bit under his value at the time. The only other contract he signed was in 2010 which made him the highest paid player in the league and was not cap friendly at all. He did restructure that deal in 2014 though, which gave him a slight raise but also was VERY cap friendly.

Russell Wilson will then eclipse Luck's contract and yeah, both guys will have their contracts redone. It's like they want the stigma of 'I was the highest paid player in the league' title. However make no mistake, these teams will rely on their QB going forward because of cap issues. Wilson will lose that defense eventually via FA. That's when it comes down to the GM, coaches and scouting and drafting quality.
Not because of cap issues. Seattle spends nothing on WR's and TE's which will allow them to pay Wilson.

Even after Wilson gets his 20M a year contract next year, Seattle will probably be ranked in the bottom third of the league for the amount of combined money they spend on QB, WR, TE. This should allow them to spend all their money on defense.

6 playoff games in his 1st 3 years in the league on that subpar team. That's more than enough reasons to get a pass or several passes.

6 playoff games in his 1st 3 years in the league on that subpar team. That's more than enough reasons to get a pass or several passes.
That division has been a mess since Luck came into the league so that helps Indy get to the playoffs

That division has been a mess since Luck came into the league so that helps Indy get to the playoffs
... including Indy who went 2-16 in 2011 prior to Luck's arrival and 11-5 his rookie season with essentially the same team. Also, how does your argument explain Indy getting to the divisional round the last 2 seasons?

Bottomline, Luck's poor play in the playoffs is understandable considering the burden on his shoulders. He gets a pass.

... including Indy who went 2-16 in 2011 prior to Luck's arrival and 11-5 his rookie season with essentially the same team. Also, how does your argument explain Indy getting to the divisional round the last 2 seasons?

Bottomline, Luck's poor play in the playoffs is understandable considering the burden on his shoulders. He gets a pass.
Yes the Colts had a horrible season the year before Luck arrived. Are we forgetting that the Colts were planning on Peyton playing in the 2011 season until like late September that year?

The Colts playoff wins aren’t exactly a murder’s row of opponents

2013 Chiefs Jamal Charles hurt early in the game if I recall properly

2014 Bengals who haven’t done anything in the playoffs

2014 Broncos with a banged up and perhaps over the hill Peyton Manning

I think the guy is on the path to greatness but he isn’t there just yet. He needs to cut down the turnovers

Yenrub said:
fatboyj711 said:
Yenrub said:
fatboyj711 said:
Ghost Rider said:
... including Indy who went 2-16 in 2011 prior to Luck's arrival and 11-5 his rookie season with essentially the same team. Also, how does your argument explain Indy getting to the divisional round the last 2 seasons?Bottomline, Luck's poor play in the playoffs is understandable considering the burden on his shoulders. He gets a pass.
Yes the Colts had a horrible season the year before Luck arrived. Are we forgetting that the Colts were planning on Peyton playing in the 2011 season until like late September that year?
Late September is after the season starts so no, they weren't still planning on him playing in late September. But regardless, what does that matter?

If Brady, Wilson, Romo, Rodgers, Flacco, etc tear their ACL the day before the first regular season game none of those teams are going 2-14. The Colts might (and at the time, did).

fatboyj711 said:
Yenrub said:
fatboyj711 said:
Ghost Rider said:

As predicted.

Elway got a pass for 10 years; wonder how long Luck's will last?

fatboyj711 said:
Yenrub said:
fatboyj711 said:
Ghost Rider said:
... including Indy who went 2-16 in 2011 prior to Luck's arrival and 11-5 his rookie season with essentially the same team. Also, how does your argument explain Indy getting to the divisional round the last 2 seasons?Bottomline, Luck's poor play in the playoffs is understandable considering the burden on his shoulders. He gets a pass.
As predicted.

Being a generational #1 pick buys a lot of time. Imagine if he was drafted where Nick Foles was. They'd be looking for his replacement already.

Yenrub said:
fatboyj711 said:
Yenrub said:
fatboyj711 said:
Ghost Rider said:
Late September is after the season starts so no, they weren't still planning on him playing in late September. But regardless, what does that matter?

If Brady, Wilson, Romo, Rodgers, Flacco, etc tear their ACL the day before the first regular season game none of those teams are going 2-14. The Colts might (and at the time, did).
None of them? With Curtis Painter at QB. You sure about that? Curtis Painter is awful!!

The official announcement that he was going to miss the entire season wasn’t made until September 26

Perhaps the Colts knew well before that date but that is when it was announced

fatboyj711 said:
Yenrub said:
fatboyj711 said:
Ghost Rider said:

As predicted.

No freaking way did Elway get a pass. He got criticized a ton for years after the 3rd Super Bowl loss, and that was way before social media and the ESPN era of "let's overanalyze and criticize almost everyone to death."

In this thread I posted that the Colts kept Peyton on the active roster even though they knew he wouldn't play in 2011. Very obvious they were trying to get Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than Rodgers, I don't think any quarterback in the league could get this team to the playoffs. Maybe Wilson. That line is so bad, guys like Brady, Brees and Manning would be lucky to make if through a season. So I will give him a pass when for now in the playoffs. He is facing good teams with legit defenses and he has to do it all. Sometimes when you try to do to much you make mistakes.

Other than Rodgers, I don't think any quarterback in the league could get this team to the playoffs. Maybe Wilson. That line is so bad, guys like Brady, Brees and Manning would be lucky to make if through a season. So I will give him a pass when for now in the playoffs. He is facing good teams with legit defenses and he has to do it all. Sometimes when you try to do to much you make mistakes.
This is pretty much spot on. Luck has made mistakes while elevating his team beyond their ability. The Colts need to build quickly through FA and soundly through the draft to put a team that can play defense and run the ball and Luck's brilliance will then come through in spades.

leftcoastguy7 said:
Surprised no one bumped this thread with the Andre Johnson signing.

Gotta be a huge positive for Luck, no?
I can't be happier with the additions of Johnson and Gore. If we can land a top nose tackle and safety, I think we fly high as long as we stay healthy.

leftcoastguy7 said:

I can't be happier with the additions of Johnson and Gore. If we can land a top nose tackle and safety, I think we fly high as long as we stay healthy.
IMO, adding Johnson and Gore will have a minimal impact on the Colts for several reasons.

As I see it, the Colts already led the league in passing attempts, TDs, and yards. Adding Johnson likely means their receiving totals will be distributed differently. So he takes the production that Wayne and Nicks got. That might be good for Johnson, but I don't see the Colts adding offensive production because of it.

With regard to Gore, the issue for years in IND has been establishing an effective ground game. The last time they ranked in the Top 10 in ypc was 2001. Since then, they have ranked in the Bottom 10 in ypc 9 times (25th or worse 7 times). That tells me their run blocking is poor. Think about it. Between Manning and Luck (and playing a lot indoors), they should have been able to run the ball with ease with teams loading up on DBs and not stacking the box. But they haven't done well at all.

Adding Gore won't change how well the line blocks, and people thinking Gore will be as productive as he was running behind a solid run blocking line in SF are relying on wishful thinking. Was every RB in IND for almost 15 years severely deficient?

So the Colts added two veteran names but have not fully addressed their biggest issues. OL and DL and defense in general. Put anpther way, if they took the money they invested in Johnson and Gore and invested it elsewhere, they would have made more of an impact on improving the team.

leftcoastguy7 said:

IMO, adding Johnson and Gore will have a minimal impact on the Colts for several reasons.As I see it, the Colts already led the league in passing attempts, TDs, and yards. Adding Johnson likely means their receiving totals will be distributed differently. So he takes the production that Wayne and Nicks got. That might be good for Johnson, but I don't see the Colts adding offensive production because of it.

So the Colts added two veteran names but have not fully addressed their biggest issues. OL and DL and defense in general. Put anpther way, if they took the money they invested in Johnson and Gore and invested it elsewhere, they would have made more of an impact on improving the team.
Johnson's addition doesn't mean Indy is going to pass more and yes, he likely sees targets that were Wayne and Nicks last year. He helps the offense because he's better than Wayne and Nicks, though. Better players doing the same roles usually create better results. I agree they still need to address the OLine and DLine. I was actually going to post something about the OLine specifically. As a selfish dyansty owner of Luck this is what I want more than anything right now. I hope they invest via the draft in OLine. As for DLine, they did sign Cole and Langford. Not spectacular but something. Yes, Cole is LB but he fills a front 7 need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it is as simple to say the yardage and td's will just be distributed differently.

Adding Gore and AJ may make Luck more efficient. Wayne's play had fallen off a cliff last year. Gore is one of the best blocking backs in the game and is very good at receiving out of the backfield.

Also, Luck is still growing as a QB. So the signings should at least factor in a small amount in the positive for Luck and the Colts offense.

I don't think it is as simple to say the yardage and td's will just be distributed differently.

Adding Gore and AJ may make Luck more efficient. Wayne's play had fallen off a cliff last year. Gore is one of the best blocking backs in the game and is very good at receiving out of the backfield.

Also, Luck is still growing as a QB. So the signings should at least factor in a small amount in the positive for Luck and the Colts offense.
I think the biggest place it will show is the INTs. When Wayne was healthy and Luck was new, he leaned on Wayne a lot and that kept things safe. I think they had to take more risks than they wanted to last year and with AJ, I think it balances back to what they have. I think Allen gets a boost because you can trust GOre back there. Should be an all-around more consistent product.

Johnson does more than absorb targets. He's a dominating red zone target that the team sorely needs.

Gore is a pounder that the Colts have been missing. No he's not going to make his own holes, but they did add Herremans and hope to have a healthy Cherilus back at Rt Tackle. Another thought on Johnson is that I think this frees up TY to play the slot in 3WR sets. He'll be very efficient in there so while the Colts may pass less, I can see the passing game becoming more effective.

If they can add depth in the draft there, that will be a vast improvement over years past. The Colts are strong on their left side of the line and just need the threat of running right as well.

The Colts really need 2 linemen on each sod of the ball and a safety. Anything else at this point is a bonus.

I'm hoping they grab a second day RB and DB as well.

Users who are viewing this thread