What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Luck..... Love fest inside.... (2 Viewers)

Yeah, Andre is a lot of things but he's never been a "dominating red zone target". And even mediocre/bad QB's can take advantage of a 6'3" guy in the endzone, so I don't buy that it has been the QB's for ten years. It weirdly just isn't a strength of his.

Maybe I'm wrong and his coaches just always preferred to run on the goal line, pass to any other player in the red zone.

If he's always been capable of being the "dominating red zone target" you say he is, then Luck will bring it out in him.

Should be interesting.

Yeah, Andre is a lot of things but he's never been a "dominating red zone target". And even mediocre/bad QB's can take advantage of a 6'3" guy in the endzone, so I don't buy that it has been the QB's for ten years. It weirdly just isn't a strength of his.

Maybe I'm wrong and his coaches just always preferred to run on the goal line, pass to any other player in the red zone.

If he's always been capable of being the "dominating red zone target" you say he is, then Luck will bring it out in him.

Should be interesting.
I agree. I feel like if he stays healthy, 10 receiving TDs is in the cards for him.

Rotoworld:

Colts owner Jim Irsay said the team will likely wait until next offseason to extend Andrew Luck's contract.
"Andrew still has two years left," Irsay said. "I really think most likely the scenario is going into the offseason next year is when that second contract will come up. That's the vision I have right now." The Colts will exercise their fifth-year team option on Luck this offseason, putting Luck under contract for the next two seasons at around $18-19 million. That's a huge bargain before the Colts will have to hand over quite possibly the largest contract in NFL history to Luck.

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 23 - 6:08 PM

Johnson does more than absorb targets. He's a dominating red zone target that the team sorely needs.

Gore is a pounder that the Colts have been missing. No he's not going to make his own holes, but they did add Herremans and hope to have a healthy Cherilus back at Rt Tackle. Another thought on Johnson is that I think this frees up TY to play the slot in 3WR sets. He'll be very efficient in there so while the Colts may pass less, I can see the passing game becoming more effective.

If they can add depth in the draft there, that will be a vast improvement over years past. The Colts are strong on their left side of the line and just need the threat of running right as well.

The Colts really need 2 linemen on each sod of the ball and a safety. Anything else at this point is a bonus.

I'm hoping they grab a second day RB and DB as well.
Obviously you got some pushback on this comment. And rightfully so. Andre, for whatever the reasons, has been a top 5 receiver in all areas except TD's. Perhaps he underperforms in the redzone, perhaps his QB's were afraid to throw into tight spaces (Schaub), perhaps Kubiak liked to use him as a blocker and a decoy because Foster was so good at running in the redzone.

My contention was that he just needed the right QB. For instance, two years ago, AJ had 5 TD's in 2 games when Keenum started. This dropped off after that as teams took AJ away as an option.

I think if anyone can get Andre to perform in the red zone, and also get some longer TD's it will be Luck. I think this could be the year Andre finally gets double digit TD's.

In befor the clickbait "take Luck #1 overall" article.

...oh

(I still remember Matt Berry trying to justify taking Vick #1 overall a few years back, that was awesome)

...oh

(I still remember Matt Berry trying to justify taking Vick #1 overall a few years back, that was awesome)
I still remember the take Adrian Peterson #1 overall articles last year. Equally awesome.

Individual data points do not a compelling argument make. :shrug:

...oh

I still remember the take Adrian Peterson #1 overall articles last year. Equally awesome.

lol yeah I got screwed pretty hard taking Adrian Peterson second overall.

What idiot would have recommended doing that??

...oh

The kind who has good reasons, but still gets #### wrong sometimes. Just like with the Vick prediction. :shrug:

FWIW, Luck should probably be regarded as a safer bet to finish near the top of the value rankings. Peterson's a little long in the tooth for a RB, hasn't played in a year, and plays a high-impact position. Vick was obviously not super into playing a style of game likely to keep him healthy and on the field. Luck doesn't have any of those problems, but he does have a GM who went out and stocked the cupboards for him in the offseason.

I'd have no problem with anyone taking him #1 overall.

...oh

I'll make sure to write entire novels from now on, just for those incapable of understanding a simple point.

...oh

The kind who has good reasons, but still gets #### wrong sometimes. Just like with the Vick prediction. :shrug:

FWIW, Luck should probably be regarded as a safer bet to finish near the top of the value rankings. Peterson's a little long in the tooth for a RB, hasn't played in a year, and plays a high-impact position. Vick was obviously not super into playing a style of game likely to keep him healthy and on the field. Luck doesn't have any of those problems, but he does have a GM who went out and stocked the cupboards for him in the offseason.

I'd have no problem with anyone taking him #1 overall.
Justifying the Vick #1 overall suggestion is just as bad as making the Vick #1 overall suggestion ;)

rascal said:
This needs more attention. Watching Chicago game and Luck is running for his life and has taken numerous big hits.
This is my concern as well. That said, can the line be worse than it was last year? They were pretty brutal and he still had a monster year.

Last edited by a moderator:
rascal said:
This needs more attention. Watching Chicago game and Luck is running for his life and has taken numerous big hits.
This is my concern as well. That said, can the line be worse than it was last year? They were pretty brutal and he still had a monster year.
Not sure if stats are the issue with the brutal line. Its not getting up off the turf one on one of those plays.

Indy QBs took the 3rd most hits in 2013 and the 4th most hits in 2014.

rascal said:
Not sure if stats are the issue with the brutal line. Its not getting up off the turf one on one of those plays.

Indy QBs took the 3rd most hits in 2013 and the 4th most hits in 2014.
So what are you saying here? Are you thinking this year his luck runs out?

Gore is an excellent blocking back...one of the best actually.

That's a huge upgrade from a pass protection perspective.

Also, having a proficient running game will decrease the third and longs.

Anyone else highly concerned?

Marginal talent around him and a terrible line... I got him in the 3rd round, thought that was steal, now not so much.

Two tough defences to start the year. His O line is god awful and he has not played well himself, but he will be fine and still be a top 3 qb. Ugly start to the year though.

Not that worried about him or the Offense, yet. Played 2 of the toughest pass D's in the league. Buffalo clearly CAN be taken advantage of, but only by a top notch coaching staff that has a sound strategy and prepares their team. This team can NOT get Dorsett and his quicks into the slot fast enough. They have got to stop trotting AJ out there save for redzone or short yardage slants (and then only if he decides to actually use his big body to shield off defenders, stop trying to be the guy he was 4 seasons ago and win with quickness). They've got to model their offensive attack after the previous Peyton offenses that focus on getting quick slants/outs to start every game. Only later after some success and sustained drives can you start using the play action and deeper routes. Not sure wth Pep is thinking, or if he's thinking AT ALL.

I think the biggest problem of all will be if/when they start playing the softer portions of their schedule and refuse to make the changes that so glaringly are needed. Then we'll hit the post-season and see an exact repeat of what we've just seen in the first 2 weeks!

28 picks/fumbles since 2014.

most in NFL
A lot of times he overcomes his turnovers with late game heroics, so people tend not to notice how often it happens. They only remember him being "clutch" at the end of the game. But you can't rely on that forever. Eventually that stuff evens out.

In a 2 QB league where this guy was the #1 pick, would anyone be trying to buy with a huge offer and maybe pry the guy away after these first two tough games? Or are people legitimately concerned here? Would you deal away guys like Brady, Wilson, Roethlesberger as well as some extra juice for him?

Carter_Can_Fly said:
Two tough defences to start the year. His O line is god awful and he has not played well himself, but he will be fine and still be a top 3 qb. Ugly start to the year though.
But why be reasonable when there are hot takes to be had?

In a 2 QB league where this guy was the #1 pick, would anyone be trying to buy with a huge offer and maybe pry the guy away after these first two tough games? Or are people legitimately concerned here? Would you deal away guys like Brady, Wilson, Roethlesberger as well as some extra juice for him?
Looking back at the game logs, it appears he's been struggling since week 13 of last year. If I did my math correctly he's something like 12 TDs vs 14 INTs in his last 9 games including playoffs. Passer rating less than 80 in all but 2 of those games.

I don't suppose he forgot how to play QB, but I'd be a little worried. :unsure:

ETA: Maybe there's some context to all this that I'm missing. I don't follow the team that closely.

Users who are viewing this thread