What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Saints GM Mickey Loomis confirmed Drew Brees will remain the team's quarterback for 2016.

Brees is coming off another elite season, but is set to count $30 million against the salary cap in the final year of his contract. Loomis isn't worried. "We'll figure out how we're going to handle the contract, whether it stays the same and just remains right in place, or whether we do something different," Loomis said. "That's all part of what we've got to figure out in the coming weeks." Extending Brees and lowering his cap number will be a priority for the Saints.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Jan 14 - 4:13 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever tried stacking Brees and a later round QB/stream with the plan of only starting Brees for his home games? I know it seems crazy to draft a QB so high and only play him half the time, but the numbers might indicate it's the best way to have elite QB play that makes it worth the risk. Drew has some crazy road/home splits. 

2012-2015 

Home: 332 yards and 2.875 TDs per game (next best is Brady at 287 and 2.1)

Away: 307 yards and 1.77 TD (Brady was 276 and 1.8) 

This is such a massive difference. If we put those out to a full season, we can see how huge the road/home split play is here.

Home: Brees 5312 and 46,  Brady 4592 and 34

Away: 4912 and 28, Brady 4416 and 29. 

Those splits are nuts, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a QB that can even out perform Brees' lower road splits over a season. However, you might weekly find guys that can out perform it. There is a perception among some fantasy players that Brees has fallen off and isn't the same great QB he once was.  Let's look at the 2015 numbers.

Home: 356 and 2.9= 5696 and 46

Road: 288 and 1.3=  4608 and 21

We have an incredibly insane split here as well road numbers that can be easily matched. From quick glance it looks like there were about 25 QBs that posted better per game numbers than Drew's road splits last year. We also do have a weird outlier of 2014 where he was actually slightly better on the road than at home which could totally destroy the play. Ultimately, It does seem like you could combine Brees home numbers and streamers to get something like:

345 and 2.7 (8) + 249 and 2 (8)=  2760 and 22 + 1992 and 16= 4752 and 38.    Take out about 20 points for a balance of Ints and rushing. That is 398 in a 6 pt TD league which would have been QB just a couple points behind RW. It's about 20 points or almost a full game ahead of where Brees finished. 

It is probably an insane strategy, but anyone else ever thought about it?

Has anyone ever tried stacking Brees and a later round QB/stream with the plan of only starting Brees for his home games? I know it seems crazy to draft a QB so high and only play him half the time, but the numbers might indicate it's the best way to have elite QB play that makes it worth the risk. Drew has some crazy road/home splits. 

2012-2015 

Home: 332 yards and 2.875 TDs per game (next best is Brady at 287 and 2.1)

Away: 307 yards and 1.77 TD (Brady was 276 and 1.8) 

This is such a massive difference. If we put those out to a full season, we can see how huge the road/home split play is here.

Home: Brees 5312 and 46,  Brady 4592 and 34

Away: 4912 and 28, Brady 4416 and 29. 

Those splits are nuts, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a QB that can even out perform Brees' lower road splits. However, his play has been down a bit. Let's see how it plays out for 2015.

Home: 356 and 2.9= 5696 and 46

Road: 288 and 1.3=  4608 and 21

We have an incredibly insane split here as well road numbers that can be easily matched. From quick glance it looks like there were about 25 QBs that posted better per game numbers than Drew's road splits last year. We also do have a weird outlier of 2014 where he was actually slightly better on the road than at home which could totally destroy the play. It does seem like you could combine Brees home numbers and streamers to get something like:

345 and 2.7 (8) + 249 and 2 (8)=  2760 and 22 + 1992 and 16= 4752 and 38.    Take out about 20 points for a balance of Ints and rushing. That is 398 in a 6 pt TD league which would have been QB just a couple points behind RW. It's about 20 points or almost a full game ahead of where Brees finished. 

It is probably an insane strategy, but anyone else ever thought about it?
Interesting take.  You did say that his play has been 'down a bit' and then posted 2015 as even better numbers then your 2011-2015 stats though???  It's likely moreso that the league has just caught up to him a bit.  However, with his weapons around him this year, I think they'll be up again.

As for the strategy I think a modified version is more realistic and maybe not a bad idea.  You couldn't simply sit him every away game though.  It would have to be taking a QB later with a high ceiling like a Mariota/Winston and plugging them in WHEN New O had a tough matchup AND was on the road, and, ONLY if that coincides with a decent matchup for your other QB. 

Interesting take.  You did say that his play has been 'down a bit' and then posted 2015 as even better numbers then your 2011-2015 stats though???  It's likely moreso that the league has just caught up to him a bit.  However, with his weapons around him this year, I think they'll be up again.

As for the strategy I think a modified version is more realistic and maybe not a bad idea.  You couldn't simply sit him every away game though.  It would have to be taking a QB later with a high ceiling like a Mariota/Winston and plugging them in WHEN New O had a tough matchup AND was on the road, and, ONLY if that coincides with a decent matchup for your other QB. 
A typo- meant to have a question mark there and some kind of reference to what I feel general opinion is among many fantasy players. A lot of more casual fans I know have talked about how bad Brees was last year or how he just isn't as good as he used to be. 

As for which QBs to play. I think you treat it just like streaming. Rotate guys on and off your team for good match-ups. Any starting QB in the league in the right match-up has top 12 QB potential for a week. I think it was something like 42 QBs last year had at least 1 week of top 12QB numbers. 

I love pairing Brees with another QB, particularly benching Brees on the road. 

A typo- meant to have a question mark there and some kind of reference to what I feel general opinion is among many fantasy players. A lot of more casual fans I know have talked about how bad Brees was last year or how he just isn't as good as he used to be. 

As for which QBs to play. I think you treat it just like streaming. Rotate guys on and off your team for good match-ups. Any starting QB in the league in the right match-up has top 12 QB potential for a week. I think it was something like 42 QBs last year had at least 1 week of top 12QB numbers. 
Depending on where Brady slips to, what about that as a combo?  Brees is typically being undervalued and you could probably get both of them in the 6/7 round range.  Might be a bit to high to pay for 2 qbs, but if you have a 6 point passing td league it could be worth it. 

First 4 weeks Brees' only 2 away games are vs the Giants and the Chargers, both shouldn't be cold at that time and both don't have the best pass D's.  Then on Brees' week 4 bye, Brady comes back and beats up on the Browns. 

Brees remaining road games:
Week 7- Brady gets a soft steelers pass D.
Week 9- Patriots bye, but let Brees go wild on San Fran... should also not be cold which is where he struggles the most
Week 11- Brady gets San Fran
Week 14/15- Brady gets Ravens/Broncos

Don't love the playoff week 14/15 matchups, but the rest of the season seems to work perfectly.

Depending on where Brady slips to, what about that as a combo?  Brees is typically being undervalued and you could probably get both of them in the 6/7 round range.  Might be a bit to high to pay for 2 qbs, but if you have a 6 point passing td league it could be worth it. 

First 4 weeks Brees' only 2 away games are vs the Giants and the Chargers, both shouldn't be cold at that time and both don't have the best pass D's.  Then on Brees' week 4 bye, Brady comes back and beats up on the Browns. 

Brees remaining road games:
Week 7- Brady gets a soft steelers pass D.
Week 9- Patriots bye, but let Brees go wild on San Fran... should also not be cold which is where he struggles the most
Week 11- Brady gets San Fran
Week 14/15- Brady gets Ravens/Broncos

Don't love the playoff week 14/15 matchups, but the rest of the season seems to work perfectly.
Certainly could be interesting. Too pricey for me though. I'd prefer Stafford. Brees is on the road/bye in weeks 2,4,5,7,9,11. Stafford faces four of  bottom 8 pass defenses during those 6 weeks.  

Note, the other potential weakness here is that the Saints have the toughest QB schedule in the NFL this year. I haven't seen any good research on how consistent/accurate those are year to year. 

Certainly could be interesting. Too pricey for me though. I'd prefer Stafford. Brees is on the road/bye in weeks 2,4,5,7,9,11. Stafford faces four of  bottom 8 pass defenses during those 6 weeks.  
That's even better haha. 

Anyone worried about Brees schedule?  Brutal stretch in the middle of the season:

weeks 5 - 11: Carolina, @KC, Seattle, @SF, Denver, @Carolina

Anyone worried about Brees schedule?  Brutal stretch in the middle of the season:

weeks 5 - 11: Carolina, @KC, Seattle, @SF, Denver, @Carolina
Not overly concerned.  The only games of Brees that worry me are the ones with the @.  I just know he will put up average points on those weeks and I consider using my backuo if he has a good matchup.   

Not overly concerned.  The only games of Brees that worry me are the ones with the @.  I just know he will put up average points on those weeks and I consider using my backuo if he has a good matchup.   
Three tough home games in a row though. Carolina, Seattle Denver. That's as tough a 3 game home stretch as there is.

Definitely looks scary.  I will never question starting Brees in the Superdome again though.  Burns me everytime
If you have him you're starting him.  I was just asking more for drafting purposes.  People talking about Brees having stellar weapons but nobody talking about this tough stretch on the schedule.

If you have him you're starting him.  I was just asking more for drafting purposes.  People talking about Brees having stellar weapons but nobody talking about this tough stretch on the schedule.
Schedule analysis right now. While useful.  Also could mean nothing. And he gets sea and denver at home.

Drafted him again.  Doesn't have the easiest schedule, but defense is so bad they should have plenty of volume with more weapons..

Drafted him again.  Doesn't have the easiest schedule, but defense is so bad they should have plenty of volume with more weapons..
this has been the case for a few years now. maybe now with improved cast around him, he can be more efficient and not just put up gaudy numbers.

yeah, I loved Brees last year but the schedule this year is concerning...I find him going too early for me in most drafts this year...I'd rather wait a few more rounds and nab Eli Manning.

yeah, I loved Brees last year but the schedule this year is concerning...I find him going too early for me in most drafts this year...I'd rather wait a few more rounds and nab Eli Manning.
The funny thing is that I had a draft on Monday night where I grabbed Brees as the 7th qb taken in our draft--I got him in the 7th round--and was feeling like he was decent value there.  I wish I had done my due diligence and looked at the schedule because I probably would have passed on him.  I did grab Stafford late as my qb2--and luckily he has what I'd call 3+ matchups in that brutal stretch that Brees has.      With that being said--even with that schedule--I still woudn't be surprised to see Brees finish the season as a top 5-6 fantasy qb.  

The funny thing is that I had a draft on Monday night where I grabbed Brees as the 7th qb taken in our draft--I got him in the 7th round--and was feeling like he was decent value there.  I wish I had done my due diligence and looked at the schedule because I probably would have passed on him.  I did grab Stafford late as my qb2--and luckily he has what I'd call 3+ matchups in that brutal stretch that Brees has.      With that being said--even with that schedule--I still woudn't be surprised to see Brees finish the season as a top 5-6 fantasy qb.  
7th is good value, I'd take him there in most formats

another wasted season for Brees.
Sadly--I completely agree with you. If you look at their upcoming schedule--it was important that they have a solid first 3-4 games of the season.  I can't see them digging themselves out of this hole with the makeup of their schedule.  

Well then. I would go with your gut. Depends on your other options. I still may start him because my only other option is Tyrod
Well Tyrod vs Browns could be good? Other option is Stafford v Giants. I actually picked up Tyrod off waivers this week after Brees wet the bed week 13.

Week 15 problems for anyone? Brees vs Cardinals. Do we trust him or look elsewhere? 
Unless you have a viable alternative, you have to start Brees.    In my particular case, my alternative would be Eli at home against Detroit, and I just can't pull the trigger on him.   

Arizona's pass defense isn't as formidable as it used to be, and Brees has a lot of weapons at his disposal in Week 15.   He got you this far, might as well stay the course. 

dcgangstas said:
Unless you have a viable alternative, you have to start Brees.    In my particular case, my alternative would be Eli at home against Detroit, and I just can't pull the trigger on him.   

Arizona's pass defense isn't as formidable as it used to be, and Brees has a lot of weapons at his disposal in Week 15.   He got you this far, might as well stay the course. 
Thoughts on Stafford (away vs Giants) or Tyrod Taylor (home vs Browns) over Brees Week 15?

On the surface ot looks like less passing in NO this year. Traded Cooks, signed Peterson. Not sure id bank on the usual Drew Brees numbers this season.

Users who are viewing this thread