What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

This is basically the definition of close mindedness. I believe you. 
As you double down on your own assertions. 

You've decided it's a dichotomy, and you'll never see it as anything but.  You either support EVERY form of protest, or you support none.  And that's not the case.  

Racial injustice is such a massive issue with so many moving parts.  Kneeling is one teeny weency piece of it.  And since I don't agree with it--you feel that I don't agree with the rest. I didn't like one chocolate chip and you think I hate the whole cookie.  It's just not the case.

As you double down on your own assertions. 

You've decided it's a dichotomy, and you'll never see it as anything but.  You either support EVERY form of protest, or you support none.  And that's not the case.  

Racial injustice is such a massive issue with so many moving parts.  Kneeling is one teeny weency piece of it.  And since I don't agree with it--you feel that I don't agree with the rest. I didn't like one chocolate chip and you think I hate the whole cookie.  It's just not the case.
Just quoted you're own words. You refuse to have your mind changed. Sorry you said it. I didn't say it for you. Those were your words. 

I know the national anthem is important to the country but black people are being killed at an alarming rate
Where's the kneeling for the blacks being killed at an alarming rate in Chicago by other blacks?  Of course that doesn't fit the left narrative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just quoted you're own words. You refuse to have your mind changed. Sorry you said it. I didn't say it for you. Those were your words. 
And now you've stopped the conversation to argue on my stubbornness.  This is the problem with discourse and trying to have a conversation.  

You don't like what I have to say, and you change the conversation to "No dude, you said you wouldn't have your mind changed."  

I'm sure you're just as open to have your own changed.  

Obviously no reason to continue this.

This is what I hear when people say stuff like this. 

I know black people are being killed at an alarming rate but the national anthem is important to the country.

What people should be saying is......

I know the national anthem is important to the country but black people are being killed at an alarming rate. 

Sorry man but it's a pretty bad look. No offense.
by black gangs more than anything else, still waiting for those protests

Where's the kneeling for the blacks being killed at an alarming rate in Chicago by other blacks?
I believe the overall numbers show that black officers have killed more blacks than white officers have. But I haven't really researched it and am not sure of the sources or the accuracy of the numbers being cited. IMO, there are at least two different issues: 1) police brutality (people's rights are getting trampled and people are getting beaten up and dying not matter what the color or creed) . . . and 2) the way the police treat minorities in some sections of the country is dramatically different than they treat white people. Throughout the country, there are many places where minorities fear what may happen to them walking down the street in the wrong neighborhood (or if they get stopped by the police). I don't ever feel like something bad is going to happen to me when interacting with law enforcement, and that makes a huge difference.

See that's the problem. It was never about not loving your country. It was about bringing awareness to social injustice and police brutality. You listened to people that made it about the anthem because they don't want awareness brought to these issues for varying reasons. 

Why use the anthem?  There many other ways to do that.
How challenging would it have been for a high level athlete in any sport to hop on the radio for an hour or so every other day to spread their message? How many reporters and mics are they in front of weekly in the locker room or off the field. The avenues to bring awareness are endless for them. 

Where's the kneeling for the blacks being killed at an alarming rate in Chicago by other blacks?  Of course that doesn't fit the left narrative.
And here we go.....the elephant in the room that brings out the hypocrisy. 

Chicago has been mentioned so often that it’s almost a curse word for proving a point. Those are actual lives too correct? What makes Floyd’s death more deserving of attention than the thousands and thousands before and after him? If people want real change they’ll start with real issues that are happening every single day in every city that don’t get a single tweet or headline. But they won’t and we all know why—The ones who scream injustice don’t give a ####. They’re just too scared to say they don’t care unless they’re told to care. 

I believe the overall numbers show that black officers have killed more blacks than white officers have. But I haven't really researched it and am not sure of the sources or the accuracy of the numbers being cited. IMO, there are at least two different issues: 1) police brutality (people's rights are getting trampled and people are getting beaten up and dying not matter what the color or creed) . . . and 2) the way the police treat minorities in some sections of the country is dramatically different than they treat white people. Throughout the country, there are many places where minorities fear what may happen to them walking down the street in the wrong neighborhood (or if they get stopped by the police). I don't ever feel like something bad is going to happen to me when interacting with law enforcement, and that makes a huge difference.
It's more of a class issue than a race issue. 

That's awesome. I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully it's a wake up call for Brees. He seems like a good guy. 
He shouldn't have to apologize for what he said.  The left force it out of you though.....or else.....they force organizations to fire you, or they try and ruin your life other ways.

He shouldn't have to apologize for what he said.  The left force it out of you though.....or else.....they force organizations to fire you, or they try and ruin your life other ways.
I think he's a good guy and saw he hurt some of his friends but hey maybe you're right and CNN or  George Soros called. 

He said, "fear what may happen to them walking down the street in the wrong neighborhood (or if they get stopped by the police)"  "Or" is the main word here.
While they are walking down the street. Geez people still don't know what all this fuss is about yet? Yikes. 

Looks like he got one whether you think he should have or not. 
Therein lies the problem.  If you read Steele's work, black America has gained moral authority over the white and corporate America.  The white and corporate America is so scared to have the stigma of being branded racists that they will do anything to disassociate themselves from the stigma ("white guilt").  However, this is counterproductive to the black man because he only has to use the race card to get his way.  This has negatively affected generations of blacks because when things require work and determination, they use racism as the reason for not being able to achieve their intended purpose, he calls this "bad faith".  Dr. Steele challenged black Americans to begin living in "good faith" and encouraged black leaders to stop relying on the "manipulation of white guilt," an act that achieves only a false sense of advancement and has cyclically catapulted black Americans back into much the same disadvantaged position in which they started out. He also urged white Americans to reject white guilt and accept the fact that since 1965, "white America has made one of the greatest moral evolutions in all of human history.   

While they are walking down the street. Geez people still don't know what all this fuss is about yet? Yikes. 
I agree there is racial injustice, but on Sundays I prefer to focus on football, not social issues. When I'm at the game I sure want to focus on football.  I prefer they do away with the national anthem at sporting events like I said earlier.  Just do the protesting at halftime when I'm getting a dog and a beer.

He may have lost the locker room. I mean he apologized but they know that's how he feels. He'll probably apologize to the team personally too. I hope they give him another chance. He is a good dude. 
From all but a small handful of teammates, I take this for granted.

The team has circled the wagons for now and are avoiding media, but hints of early-stage reconciliation within the team have already shone through.

Well considering fans cheered for a murderer in Baltimore years ago that's not saying a lot.......
Let's not forget Leonard Little of the Rams.  "In 1998, Michael Gutweiler lost his mother to a drunken driver--the Rams' Leonard Little. ".

I saw Saints LB Demario Davis reacted very positively but he wasn’t one of the players who spoke out.
Demario Davis spoke out almost immediately in response to Brees' comments:

Demario Davis #56
@demario__davis

Let us stay focused on the issues that unite us. We are standing united to bring an end to systematic racism and address police brutality, especially against blacks people. If the conversation isn’t about that, it’s a distraction and isn’t helpful at this current time.

3:31 PM · Jun 3, 2020

people know that kneeling wasn't protesting the flag/NA.....they just "happen" to be kneeling during the presentation of the flag and the NA..... and some people frown upon that....it doesn't make the frowners racist or non supportive of a cause....

Saints LT Terron Armstead:

Terron Armstead
@T_Armstead72

I could’ve easily got on social media and attacked @drewbrees yesterday. His comments were extremely insensitive, dismissive, and flat out disappointing. Knowing him personally and his character I decided not to do so, and addressed things internally....

10:11 AM · Jun 4, 2020
...Speaking with him and a few of my teammates we know that accountability and responsibility is the only way to move forward from this. The message has to be clear! The stance has to be clear! Time to put our words into action!....
...The injustices, systemic oppression, policing, all these things the black community has cried out for, it’s time to become the solution and see real change....

He may have lost the locker room. I mean he apologized but they know that's how he feels. He'll probably apologize to the team personally too. I hope they give him another chance. He is a good dude. 
MT has accepted his apology. 
Want to read this -- was it on Twitter or some other source? Or was it on broadcast media?
Found it:

Michael Thomas
@Cantguardmike

One of my brothers made a public statement yesterday that I disagreed with. He apologized & I accept it because that’s what we are taught to do as Christians. Now back to the movement! #GeorgeFloyd

12:16 PM · Jun 4, 2020

Want to read this -- was it on Twitter or some other source? Or was it on broadcast media?
Michael Thomas
@Cantguardmike

One of my brothers made a public statement yesterday that I disagreed with. He apologized & I accept it because that’s what we are taught to do as Christians. Now back to the movement! #GeorgeFloyd

people know that kneeling wasn't protesting the flag/NA.....they just "happen" to be kneeling during the presentation of the flag and the NA..... and some people frown upon that....it doesn't make the frowners racist or non supportive of a cause....
I disagree with that because those comments are always followed with do it when I'm not watching. Why? Because they don't want to deal with it. 

If they said let's all do it together at this time or that time......if they wanted to be apart of it then I'd buy it. The vast majority want to ignore it. They want to guilt trip blacks into making it easier for them to do that. 

I disagree with that because those comments are always followed with do it when I'm not watching. Why? Because they don't want to deal with it. 

If they said let's all do it together at this time or that time......if they wanted to be apart of it then I'd buy it. The vast majority want to ignore it. They want to guilt trip blacks into making it easier for them to do that. 
I did not say that extra stuff....can't what I said just be taken for what I said and what I mean....?

We live in strange times. It seems like we are rapidly heading towards a society that readily condones crowdsourced retaliation limiting freedom of speech. Or worse yet, a collection of murky algorithms based on arbitrary criteria determining what is acceptable speech. The more people that pile into a particular narrative on social media, whether true or not, the more it propagates and quickly evolves into mass hysteria. It's past the point now where the pitfalls of having a social media account far outweigh the benefits of having one. And neither side has a monopoly on this echo chamber on steroids. 

you disagree.... so you think the frowners are racist and do not support a cause...?

you disagree.... so you think the frowners are racist and do not support a cause...?
I think a lot of people that honestly feel they aren't racist are in fact racist. Another problem is if things don't actually happen to them personally they have a hard time relating or empathizing with the issue. 

Someone that says "hey do it at halftime when I'm getting a drink with everybody else" doesn't exactly care if anybody hears it. 

Police brutality is happening but my football is super important to me. 

I think a lot of people that honestly feel they aren't racist are in fact racist. Another problem is if things don't actually happen to them personally they have a hard time relating or empathizing with the issue. 
wow.....

Someone that says "hey do it at halftime when I'm getting a drink with everybody else" doesn't exactly care if anybody hears it. 

I said absolutely nothing close to this.....yet you are putting me in that box and calling me a racist that doesn't know he is racist......wow

You're not going to bully me into believing what you want me to believe.  I know who I am and how I feel and I don't need to prove to you that I believe in correcting social injustice.  Just because I want to watch football on Sunday and not have social issues thrown at me on my day of rest, isn't because I don't believe in correcting a wrong.  I just happen to believe they should discard the national anthem during sporting events and people who want to protest can protest and those who feel it is disrespectful to do so during the anthem won't have to worry about it any longer.  I personally have never liked having to stand for the national anthem during sporting events and I'm about as patriotic as they come.

You're not going to bully me into believing what you want me to believe.  I know who I am and how I feel and I don't need to prove to you that I believe in correcting social injustice.  Just because I want to watch football on Sunday and not have social issues thrown at me on my day of rest, isn't because I don't believe in correcting a wrong.  I just happen to believe they should discard the national anthem during sporting events and people who want to protest can protest and those who feel it is disrespectful to do so during the anthem won't have to worry about it any longer.  I personally have never liked having to stand for the national anthem during sporting events and I'm about as patriotic as they come.
I'm not trying to bullying you. You don't know what you don't know. It's very hard for people to be honest with themselves even in their own thoughts because it's painful when they're wrong. Maybe it spoke to you and didn't feel good. Maybe you're not racist at all. I have no idea. 

The fact of the matter is very powerful people changed the narrative of Colin Kaepernick's protest and half the country conveniently followed suit and threatened to boycott the NFL which is funny because someone suggested that's what happened to Brees and the reason he apologized. 

Finally, someone who loves America and wants it to be great speaks out.  Good for you Drew!

Also, MT and Sanders should have contacted Drew directly rather than do their virtue signaling through social media.  That's what real men would have done.

You can really sum it up in this Martin Luther King Jr Quote that obviously still applies today, which unsurprisingly he wrote from jail for - you guessed it, Peacefully Protesting. So if you don't understand Malcolm Jenkins' response to Brees or the backlash or cannot get to a point to understand Colin Kaepernick's protest (by his own actions and his own words), maybe there is some room inside your soul to grow. This quote still rings true, almost more than ever today. 

"I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Finally, someone who loves America and wants it to be great speaks out.  Good for you Drew!

Also, MT and Sanders should have contacted Drew directly rather than do their virtue signaling through social media.  That's what real men would have done.
Wow lol so much wrong with this but I don't want to get banned (if I'm not already) so I'll leave it alone. Lolol

Users who are viewing this thread