What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

Deamon said:
Both are your opinion and not universally accepted.  I don't necessarily believe either of the above.
That/s your right and something the left would like to take away from you.

Brees has donated so much and did so much. Two months ago, anyone and everyone would have said he's a good guy. Did everyone forget all the good he did during Katrina? 

Everyone was so ready to jump on anyone that said the wrong thing and they did...all these regular people that probably give 20 bucks to this organization or 50 to that charity, yeah they're all sitting in judgement of the guy that probably gave a hundred grand to that same charity.

He was wrong to say what he did but he apologized.

Take in the totality of the man's career and character, not just one single foolish statement. 

Social media has built our expectations. We have a President that says a head scratching statement most every day and because we're accustomed to it, we shrug it off. Whenever anyone else says something dopey, we jump on them because we expect good vibes good words out of their mouth. Don't lose sight of the fact that you probably clicked a link and expected to hear or read goodness from Brees. Some of this is your shock that he would say something stupid. That's on you, not him, it's your expectation. But it also points out again, take in the totality of the man's work in this world.

Put yourself in his shoes before you jump on him

I couldn't agree more.  It has run its course here.

You are one of the few people making this a thread that feels more like the PSF. Most posts have been on-topic and about the issue rather than anything inflammatory or political. 

Yet nearly every single one of your posts contains some version of "the left" or "liberals". So be what you say you want to see in the Shark Pool, man. Don't.

It's apparent that people disagree here but you are making it overtly political and dropping all this "the left" bait that truly does belong in the PSF. And I guess I took the bait, but I'd rather respond to you directly and honestly than resort to reporting your posts or something petty like that, because on the topic of football you've contributed a lot here over the years. But through that time your posts have gotten more and more political. 

Brees has donated so much and did so much. Two months ago, anyone and everyone would have said he's a good guy. Did everyone forget all the good he did during Katrina? 

Everyone was so ready to jump on anyone that said the wrong thing and they did...all these regular people that probably give 20 bucks to this organization or 50 to that charity, yeah they're all sitting in judgement of the guy that probably gave a hundred grand to that same charity.

Take in the totality of the man's career and character, not just one single foolish statement. 

Social media has built our expectations. We have a President that says a head scratching statement most every day and because we're accustomed to it, we shrug it off. Whenever anyone else says something dopey, we jump on them because we expect good vibes good words out of their mouth. Don't lose sight of the fact that you probably clicked a link and expected to hear or read goodness from Brees. Some of this is your shock that he would say something stupid. That's on you, not him, it's your expectation. But it also points out again, take in the totality of the man's work in this world.

This is confusing because people are trying to have it both ways. And this isn't an attack towards you, your post just exemplified an argument I'm seeing around the internet so I'm just using it as a jumping-off point. I get why you'd say what you did and on its surface it makes sense.

But you're saying it shouldn't have been such a big deal or big shock but because of his overall character and reputation it was. But you're also saying he did made a mistake and apologized. 

The thing is he only realized his mistake, grew from it, and apologized because the men that he respects in his own locker room, close associates in his professional life, "jumped on him", as you say. These are the people who actually know him as a man and not as a brand or a sports personality. 

If the people who actually know him more intimately (aka the ones that have the most reason to give him the benefit of the doubt as a person) had that reaction, it seems unreasonable to expect strangers with no connection to him at all to treat him better or give him more leeway. When you're a public figure, you benefit from the good times but you always live at risk of drawing equally public criticism in the bad times. It comes with being a wealthy, visible sports star. 

But then on the other hand your argument that this type of thing can be more surprising coming from essentially a television figure who none of us know aside from his "brand", it's not wrong either. Obviously nobody would care what he thought if he was just Drew from the corner store. But again, that all comes with the money and fame and frankly, it comes with having the ego to confidently say what he did in the first place to kick this whole controversy off. It's certainly not a simple thing.

He obviously sees himself as a leader in the community and thought those were the words that would have the impact he wanted to see in the world, and it backfired. That all comes with being a person with influence, which is what his teammates and the rest of the world were trying to tell him. He is NOT just a guy with an opinion. He is a figure of renown and good reputation in his community, with a huge platform and an out-sized level of influence, which raises the stakes on any important issue he voices an opinion on. Hence, the attention and outcry. Because if you decide to use that platform provided to you by your fame and previous good works, there's a responsibility to get it right if you're the type of person I think we all know Brees at least strives to be. And he saw that in the end and embraced it. 

Basically, I think some people see a guy like Brees and think that all his previous good work and influence basically acts as "good-will credit" that he's earned in the world, to be drawn against if something like this happened. Like "oops, but he did all that other great stuff so chill". But unfortunately I think the reality is that all that prior good stuff isn't just a passive record that buys him some mulligans--it's an active influence that he has a responsibility to wield wisely as a public figure. The good things he's done in the past, they compound and lend anything he says or does in the present all their combined weight, which makes his mistakes bigger and more far-reaching than a normal persons, because his opinions are backed by all that goodwill and respect.

I can't imagine living with that amount of responsibility, and not everyone uses it wisely or even realizes they have it. But I think he's showing that he understands the weight of it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, I think some people see a guy like Brees and think that all his previous good work and influence basically acts as "good-will credit" that he's earned in the world, to be drawn against if something like this happened. Like "oops, but he did all that other great stuff so chill". But unfortunately I think the reality is that all that prior good stuff isn't just a passive record that buys him some mulligans--it's an active influence that he has a responsibility to wield wisely as a public figure. The good things he's done in the past, they compound and lend anything he says or does in the present all their combined weight, which makes his mistakes bigger and more far-reaching than a normal persons, because his opinions are backed by all that goodwill and respect.
ConnSKINS26, this presupposes that "good" is an objective constant to be achieved and that Brees somehow missed the "good" and is now on course correcting his way towards the "good" because of private outcry. But the reason that he spoke and there was an outcry is because he believed something was "good" that veered from the very subjective "good" that is considered correct right now. When people give him a break, they're giving him a break because he has a concept of "good" at all missing from much of public life that isn't mere virtue signaling or in lockstep with a prevailing culture of correctness that so invades and permeates our modern life. 

When faced with two "goods," Brees chose one "good" (respecting the military in a democratic society) over another (equality of treatment by police in society toward all) and was reprimanded. He wasn't necessarily wrong, it's just that today there is a countervailing nature of the concept of what is "good" in the hierarchy of values that we have, and these happen to be not mutually exclusive. (You either stand for the flag or you don't.) 

I would argue -- and have --  that kneeling is fine during the national anthem. But I wouldn't condemn Brees for feeling differently. It's what happens when you valuate the "good" in a hierarchy instead of having "good" be an absolutist concept.  

TL;DR Think moderns vs. Kant or Plato. 

I mean if you agree ‘changes need to be made’ you must be referring to police brutality and the disparity in policing between the black and white communities and the systemic racism that exists within our justice system that disproportionally negatively impacts blacks. 

That seems way more important to me than getting our patriotic feelings hurt. 
Why can’t you have both

If the people who actually know him more intimately had that reaction, it seems unreasonable to expect strangers with no connection to him at all to treat him better

people see a guy like Brees and think that all his previous good work and influence basically acts as "good-will credit" that he's earned in the world, to be drawn against if something like this happened. Like "oops, but he did all that other great stuff so chill".
2 great points here.  His BUDDIES were mad at him for it, but strangers should give him more credit?

2nd point is even better.  Everyone is excusing everything he does because he is a 'good guy'.  So what?  Also, he has done some shady stuff.  i don't think Brees is a bad guy, but I think he's less likable then a lot of people do.  He's had his good and bad moments in life.

I think the way he responded has been pretty good though.  Whatever his motives are (really believes it or wants to gain back respect), he's now saying the right things at the right time.

You are one of the few people making this a thread that feels more like the PSF. Most posts have been on-topic and about the issue rather than anything inflammatory or political. 

Yet nearly every single one of your posts contains some version of "the left" or "liberals". So be what you say you want to see in the Shark Pool, man. Don't.

It's apparent that people disagree here but you are making it overtly political and dropping all this "the left" bait that truly does belong in the PSF. And I guess I took the bait, but I'd rather respond to you directly and honestly than resort to reporting your posts or something petty like that, because on the topic of football you've contributed a lot here over the years. But through that time your posts have gotten more and more political. 
You cannot discuss this topic without it being political.  You think I'm the one making it political?  Thus the reason it belongs in the PSF forum. 

You cannot discuss this topic without it being political.  You think I'm the one making it political?  Thus the reason it belongs in the PSF forum. 

It's an issue that should be kept about facts, perceptions, and experiences. Sure it's an issue that is difficult to keep non-political (which shouldn't be the case but is another issue entirely), but you literally posting things over and over about "the left" is the only overtly political, partisan stuff in here, and people have avoided engaging the phrasing you're using. I was just asking for that specifically (from you and a few others) to stop because otherwise it's been an okay exploration of the issue as it pertains to Brees, which is relevant. 

It's an issue that should be kept about facts, perceptions, and experiences. Sure it's an issue that is difficult to keep non-political (which shouldn't be the case but is another issue entirely), but you literally posting things over and over about "the left" is the only overtly political, partisan stuff in here, and people have avoided engaging the phrasing you're using. I was just asking for that specifically (from you and a few others) to stop because otherwise it's been an okay exploration of the issue as it pertains to Brees, which is relevant. 
Ok, but Brees' beliefs, which were at the root of his original statement is political.  I'm done with this topic, so no need to worry about my political views on the subject any longer.  A lot of what went down on this subject is pathetic. 

Why can’t you have both
This is pretty unimportant in light of what we’ve been going through no?

I mean protesting is intended to be disruptive and make people feel uncomfortable. The flag is supposed to represent freedom and unity but for many people in this country their experience is very different. 

We have a strange near-cult-like obsession with the flag/anthem/patriotism and symbolism here. The NFL/Military partnership exploits this for recruiting and profit. 

This is pretty unimportant in light of what we’ve been going through no?

I mean protesting is intended to be disruptive and make people feel uncomfortable. The flag is supposed to represent freedom and unity but for many people in this country their experience is very different. 

We have a strange near-cult-like obsession with the flag/anthem/patriotism and symbolism here. The NFL/Military partnership exploits this for recruiting and profit. 
Why cant I be someone that supports BLM....believes changes need to be made....but also kind of be upset when someone doesn’t do what is traditionally done in a patriotic way and stand and acknowledge the the NA....?   I’m not sure why I am being told I am racist or non supportive if I feel that way...it bugs me as an American when people don’t do what we normally do for the NA....no matter what the cause.....you could insert whatever cause you want here _________________...and I would feel the same way.....

Why cant I be someone that supports BLM....believes changes need to be made....but also kind of be upset when someone doesn’t do what is traditionally done in a patriotic way and stand and acknowledge the the NA....?   I’m not sure why I am being told I am racist or non supportive if I feel that way...it bugs me as an American when people don’t do what we normally do for the NA....no matter what the cause.....you could insert whatever cause you want here _________________...and I would feel the same 
Because you're not listening.  No one is asking you to take a knee.  Just listen to the reason others are.

Because you're not listening.  No one is asking you to take a knee.  Just listen to the reason others are.
 That’s the thing....I will listen..I will march....I will raise both arms....I will grab and hug and uplift any person I come across no matter what color, race, etc.....and totally get on board with anything that is injustice.....but can we please just rise, honor, and respect the playing of the NA....why is th NA when we need to “take a knee”.....

Why cant I be someone that supports BLM....believes changes need to be made....but also kind of be upset when someone doesn’t do what is traditionally done in a patriotic way and stand and acknowledge the the NA....?   I’m not sure why I am being told I am racist or non supportive if I feel that way...it bugs me as an American when people don’t do what we normally do for the NA....no matter what the cause.....you could insert whatever cause you want here _________________...and I would feel the same way.....
You can be that someone. Anyone who tells you differently is intolerant & part of the problem (like Michael Thomas & Rich Eisen to name a couple).

Everyone gets why players kneel, but it offends many for a valid reason. Many people look to the flag/anthem for various reasons like pride for country, etc. They aren't wrong. Neither are the kneelers. I don't agree with it, but they have the right. Both can co-exist. The problem comes when one side doesn't get to voice their stance (like Brees). It's total BS.

I understand why Brees backed off his comments with the death threats so I'm not blaming him for protecting his family, but the point remains. This movement has a lot to learn. Great cause, but black people aren't the only ones pissed right now. The movement needs real leadership not reactionary nonsense.

That’s the thing....I will listen..I will march....I will raise both arms....I will grab and hug and uplift any person I come across no matter what color, race, etc.....and totally get on board with anything that is injustice.....but can we please just rise, honor, and respect the playing of the NA....why is th NA when we need to “take a knee”.....
This isn't what listening sounds like.  Too much talking.

This isn't what listening sounds like.  Too much talking.
There's been too much spouting off for sure (like Michael Thomas).

Guess what, MT, Brees has the right to voice his valid stance. Brees even mentioned racial injustice in his original statement & explained one of the reasons why he has the stance he does. MT doesn't get to be the decider of which stances can get voiced. This is America.

So basically..... I can be “on board” and totally supportive of the “cause”....BLM, etc......but if I don’t like you not doing what we normally do to show patriotic respect by standing for our country, the presentation of the colors, and the NA.....then I am not ......really..............”on board”..................got it........I think....

I’m not allowed to understand and agree with the cause....but disagree with one of the means of expression.....that kind of sucks....

So basically..... I can be “on board” and totally supportive of the “cause”....BLM, etc......but if I don’t like you not doing what we normally do to show patriotic respect by standing for our country, the presentation of the colors, and the NA.....then I am not ......really..............”on board”..................got it........I think....
Yeah, pretty much.

Yes you can definitely believe both things.  No you shouldn't voice those opinions RIGHT NOW.  This reads very "All lives matter".  Be better.

Drew is 100% entitled to his opinion on kneeling for the NA.  But speaking about it openly at THIS TIME, in a way that takes the attention away from the Kneelers and Protesters right now, is insensitive and tone deaf.  Heck, even Drew himself realized this.  Hopefully you will too.

Don't ask permission to feel a certain way. Especially from a bunch of strangers on a fantasy football site. Stand by your convictions. What you believe is what you believe. To use your words, I'm not "on board' at all. If a random poster wants to criticize me for my opinions, I'm pretty sure I won't lose any sleep over it. But hey, to each their own. 

This line of thinking is so flawed. There are two possible conclusions: either Bress feels bad and is "suffering" or he isn't. If he is suffering it is because a) he realizes his statement hurt people because it misrepresented what kneeling during the anthem was about or b) he is more worried about his legacy and public preceiption. In either case he was misguided and wrong.

It may be that Bress does not feel horrible at all and he believes what he initially said. Either way again what he said misrepresented the intent of kneeling. By acknowledging he misrepresented the issue and issued an apology is not political correctness. 

A certain subset of this community refuses to acknowledge the intent of kneeling for the anthem. Per Nate Boyer, the green beret that advise Karpernick "...the protests are about racial inequality, social injustice and police brutality, and that kneeling during the anthem was a mechanism to raise that attention and to get those voices heard." Trying to change the narrative to make this an issue about patriotism only serves to perpetuate the injustices.  
Brees comments were absolutely tone death on the situation at hand. Too many people have made it about support of a Flag. This Anthem stuff is cheap patriotism brainwashing that has been used across the world such as Nazi Germany, North Korea, Russia etc. The military thing is a different rabbit hole completely we could go down. I'll just put it this way and leave this topic at rest here. Using the Anthem is a cheap cop out and being tone deaf on the situation for lack of supporting military etc. These protestors being gassed and militarized by the police and our military occupying the street are you mad about it? if you are now you know how half the world feels about us when we "help them". Brees comments were nothing more then buzz words used by the right and Trump routinely to try and dehumanize the protests and social injustice in this country to minorities. Brees has been part of locker rooms with numerous monitory players over the yrs who have talked about their issues growing up. 

Brees got called out like he should have. Yes he apologized but honestly if I was a minority player who was a teammate of his I don't know how I'd feel about continuing to play with him. Talented player no doubt but when a teammate doesn't get or respect what I believe in then honestly how can I trust them to have my back on the field. But then again I don't know Brees personally. His comments were misguided, not appropriate time wise, tone deaf and lacked real leadership from a player that many have always commended for his leadership in the locker room. I'm just saying if I'm a player depending who I am that might be what I'd be thinking. 

Malik Jackson of the Eagles did a great interview with Jeff Skeverskey of Channel 6 Local Station in Philly local Sports guy the other day. Jackson talked how there is a lot of racist players in the leagues. He didn't name names but he also mentioned how some of them hide it as well. This isn't saying Brees is racist though. I'm just saying there's a huge issue here. And honestly Brees comments were completely ignorant and tone deaf on the situation. Like I already stated it was cheap buzz word propaganda thats been sewn together by the right over he last few yrs including trump. This is the group that says they are patriots and care for the troops yet when they comeback needing help they are nowhere to be found. Just be a good little solider for us and don't ask questions. When we have used you for what we need you for we'll just discard you and put you down like a sick sled dog. We need to stop putting our military men and women on pedestals and using them as props. Brees was thankfully called out and apologized. Those who are angry with that probably are just ignorant to begin with and won't change their ways.

Using the Anthem and the military cheapens what the real issue is about. Many minorities had their family members fight over seas and elsewhere too. Guess what? When they came home they were not welcomed back with open arms like Brees Grandfather and probably both my Grandfathers and my Great Uncle were. They were dehumanized and many felt sick that "These people" had represented them and America. Just take a look back at how Minority Vietnam Vets who did comeback were treated. The whole using the military and all flag is nothing but cheap deflection by those who don't like the opinions or have a different agenda. Trump used it because he's still pissed off the NFL never allowed him to own an NFL team so he was just using pure bully tactics to get bad PR on the League and the right and "patriots" bought into it like sheep. Again we need to stop using things like Religion and the Military as a shield wall for agenda and beliefs. Also we need to stop using Cops as a shield as well. You can still call out bad policing and support law enforcement. But to totally defend any of them and act ignorant or tone deaf to the situations well thats just wrong. 

Also there's a lot of minorities who feel the American flag doesn't represent them or America anymore. I have a feeling there's a lot of American's who don't want to admit it publicly but privately will tell you even as a white American they don't believe that flag represents what it once did. I know I'm one of those white people because that flag represented equal opportunity for all, freedom etc and it just doesn't anymore. 

No one is forgetting what he did for the community. His comments were tone deaf and nothing more than right wing buzzwords and deflection and shield pieces used by the right constantly to dehumanize and discredit when the protests and all were/are about. He used the cheap military and flag ploy as well. He got rightfully called out for his ignorance and misguided comments. He apologized and when Trump offered him an ally against the attacks Brees basically told him to pound sand and wouldn't be used as a political prop for him. 

None of this takes away what he's done in the community though. And no people don't shrug off Trump's comments more and more people are attacking him for them by the day. 

“...You told us how you felt the first time ... don’t apologize. I’m not taking that s***, I don’t care about that apology cause it ain’t real.”

Delvin Breaux when asked how he felt when he heard QB Drew Brees’ comments...

“...You told us how you felt the first time ... don’t apologize. I’m not taking that s***, I don’t care about that apology cause it ain’t real.”

Delvin Breaux hasn't suited up for the Saints since 2016. He's not in the locker room now.

@Cjw_55106 , where did this quote come from? I'm not able to find it online, even searching on Breaux's name and the exact wording of the quote.

@Cjw_55106 , where did this quote come from? I'm not able to find it online, even searching on Breaux's name and the exact wording of the quote.
 It was on Twitter with the comment that the story was dropping tomorrow. To be honest, if he isn’t on the team, why would anyone care what he thinks?

Cjw_55106 said:
Doug B said:
 It was on Twitter with the comment that the story was dropping tomorrow. To be honest, if he isn’t on the team, why would anyone care what he thinks?
@Cjw_55106 , do you recall whose Twitter account?

As for the “why would anyone care?” question ... it’s simple muckraking.

Users who are viewing this thread