Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tjnc09

Drew Brees Thread

On 6/6/2020 at 11:57 AM, Mystery Achiever said:

Brees was handed a chance by the president yesterday to prove himself as an ally and he took it on.

ETA link   https://www.instagram.com/p/CBE4y_9Hj2S/

Knowing Trump he's probably seething and trying to think of some sort of tweet and name to now call Brees and say what a terrible QB he is. 

On 6/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, Bri said:

Brees has donated so much and did so much. Two months ago, anyone and everyone would have said he's a good guy. Did everyone forget all the good he did during Katrina? 

Everyone was so ready to jump on anyone that said the wrong thing and they did...all these regular people that probably give 20 bucks to this organization or 50 to that charity, yeah they're all sitting in judgement of the guy that probably gave a hundred grand to that same charity.

He was wrong to say what he did but he apologized.

Take in the totality of the man's career and character, not just one single foolish statement. 

Social media has built our expectations. We have a President that says a head scratching statement most every day and because we're accustomed to it, we shrug it off. Whenever anyone else says something dopey, we jump on them because we expect good vibes good words out of their mouth. Don't lose sight of the fact that you probably clicked a link and expected to hear or read goodness from Brees. Some of this is your shock that he would say something stupid. That's on you, not him, it's your expectation. But it also points out again, take in the totality of the man's work in this world.

Put yourself in his shoes before you jump on him

No one is forgetting what he did for the community. His comments were tone deaf and nothing more than right wing buzzwords and deflection and shield pieces used by the right constantly to dehumanize and discredit when the protests and all were/are about. He used the cheap military and flag ploy as well. He got rightfully called out for his ignorance and misguided comments. He apologized and when Trump offered him an ally against the attacks Brees basically told him to pound sand and wouldn't be used as a political prop for him. 

None of this takes away what he's done in the community though. And no people don't shrug off Trump's comments more and more people are attacking him for them by the day. 

“...You told us how you felt the first time ... don’t apologize. I’m not taking that s***, I don’t care about that apology cause it ain’t real.”

Delvin Breaux when asked how he felt when he heard QB Drew Brees’ comments...

3 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

“...You told us how you felt the first time ... don’t apologize. I’m not taking that s***, I don’t care about that apology cause it ain’t real.”

Delvin Breaux hasn't suited up for the Saints since 2016. He's not in the locker room now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

@Cjw_55106 , where did this quote come from? I'm not able to find it online, even searching on Breaux's name and the exact wording of the quote.

56 minutes ago, Doug B said:

@Cjw_55106 , where did this quote come from? I'm not able to find it online, even searching on Breaux's name and the exact wording of the quote.

It was on Twitter with the comment that the story was dropping tomorrow. To be honest, if he isn’t on the team, why would anyone care what he thinks?

15 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:
16 hours ago, Doug B said:

It was on Twitter with the comment that the story was dropping tomorrow. To be honest, if he isn’t on the team, why would anyone care what he thinks?

@Cjw_55106 , do you recall whose Twitter account?

As for the “why would anyone care?” question ... it’s simple muckraking.

1 hour ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

With most likely 1 year left, what's this guy worth to a contender in a Superflex league assuming they're a QB away?

Late first, early second? I don't know. Dynasty Trade Calculator puts him right about there. I'd expect to have to give up something in a Superflex.

2 hours ago, rockaction said:

Late first, early second? I don't know. Dynasty Trade Calculator puts him right about there. I'd expect to have to give up something in a Superflex.

That's what I was thinking as well. It seems like a lot for a guy with what seems to be a year left but he could push someone over the top.

Does anyone think the Saints will draft their QB of the future in 2021?

7 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Maybe it's Jameis Winston, if he shows well in practice and games if they need him and they sign him for more than just this year so they might not have to draft someone.

5 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Maybe it's Jameis Winston, if he shows well in practice and games if they need him and they sign him for more than just this year so they might not have to draft someone.

Then why did TB let him go?

35 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

yes.

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

They got sick of the turnovers I assume is probably one reason. There were some ifs in my statement, like him showing well in practice and games if given the chance. If he shows well in practice and games I'd assume the turnovers would be limited. Then maybe he'd have a shot at getting resigned to be the starter.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

You see no chance that Sean Payton can elevate his performance? I certainly think he can.

ETA:

Brees before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 59 G, 58 GS, 30-28-0 record
  • 1125 completions/1809 attempts (62.2%)
  • 12348 passing yards (6.8 YPA, 209.3 YPG)
  • 594 passing first downs
  • 80 TDs (4.4%), 53 interceptions (2.9%)
  • 84.9 passer rating

Winston before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 72 G, 70 GS, 28-42-0 record
  • 1563 completions/2548 attempts (61.3%)
  • 19737 passing yards (7.7 YPA, 274.1 YPG)
  • 997 passing first downs
  • 121 TDs (4.7%), 88 interceptions (3.5%)
  • 86.9 passer rating
Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

You see no chance that Sean Payton can elevate his performance? I certainly think he can.

ETA:

Brees before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 59 G, 58 GS, 30-28-0 record
  • 1125 completions/1809 attempts (62.2%)
  • 12348 passing yards (6.8 YPA, 209.3 YPG)
  • 594 passing first downs
  • 80 TDs (4.4%), 53 interceptions (2.9%)
  • 84.9 passer rating

Winston before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 72 G, 70 GS, 28-42-0 record
  • 1563 completions/2548 attempts (61.3%)
  • 19737 passing yards (7.7 YPA, 274.1 YPG)
  • 997 passing first downs
  • 121 TDs (4.7%), 88 interceptions (3.5%)
  • 86.9 passer rating

Really not a great comparison. San Diego was 20-11 in the two years before Brees left for New Orleans, and Brees threw 51 TDs vs. 22 INTs in those seasons. He was already playing pretty well and there was a lot of controversy about whether the Chargers should keep him. His career stats at that point include the fact that he didn't play well in his first two seasons as a starter.

The Bucs are 13-25 in the last three years under Winston and in 2019 he threw more picks than anyone since Vinny Testaverde's historically awful 1988 season. And he looked terrible doing it, too. Testaverde, not Brees, is Winston's upside.

44 minutes ago, CalBear said:

Really not a great comparison. San Diego was 20-11 in the two years before Brees left for New Orleans, and Brees threw 51 TDs vs. 22 INTs in those seasons. He was already playing pretty well and there was a lot of controversy about whether the Chargers should keep him. His career stats at that point include the fact that he didn't play well in his first two seasons as a starter.

The Bucs are 13-25 in the last three years under Winston and in 2019 he threw more picks than anyone since Vinny Testaverde's historically awful 1988 season. And he looked terrible doing it, too. Testaverde, not Brees, is Winston's upside.

Brees played well in his last 2 seasons in San Diego, but there is no denying that Payton elevated his level of play. Surely you don't disagree with that...?

I asked @JohnnyU if he sees "no chance" that Payton can elevate his performance. I didn't say I expect Winston to be Brees or to be elevated at all. I didn't say it is likely. I said I think there is a chance.

Winston played 1 season for Lovie Smith, 3 seasons for Dirk Koetter, and 1 season for Arians. Under Arians he threw for 5109/33. He threw 30 interceptions and had a lot of fumbles, but nobody throws for 5109/33 without ability. Maybe Payton can harness it. :shrug: 

I'm going to say that 2020 is going to be Drew Brees's best season yet in the NFL, even though it may be his last.  Why do I say that?  Because he is finally going to be named regular-season MVP as he leads the Saints to a 12-4 mark & home field advantage throughout the NFC Playoffs.  The big game to watch this year happens in Week 15 in what I believe will be a Super Bowl preview against the Chiefs, who will also go 12-4.

Drew Brees completed 18-of-30 passes for 160 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' 34-23 win over the Bucs in Week 1. 

Brees continually checked down against Tampa, targeting Michael Thomas just five times. Sean Payton's Taysom Hill project continues to be an irritant for those who roster Brees, and the continued threat of Hill taking snaps near the end zone could be an issue for Brees this season. It will be tough to bench Brees in Week 2 against the Raiders.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

On 8/9/2020 at 9:18 AM, JohnnyU said:

A 40's Brees is probably better than a 40's Brady.

Brees is 4-2 all time vs Brady, and one of those L’s was stolen in Foxboro via blown call on a blatant hold.

Um...anyone concerned?

Didn't draft Brees until late (and somebody snagged J. Allen just before my Brees pick), so I was borderline already thinking I'd be streaming, but if he can't perform at home that's troubling. 

Play calling was conservative too. And with TB being tough against the run normally I would have expected the game plan to be more through the air.

Michael Thomas injury doesn't help.

Can't believe it but I'm eyeing Minshew in waivers this week.

1 minute ago, kyoun1e said:

Um...anyone concerned?

Didn't draft Brees until late (and somebody snagged J. Allen just before my Brees pick), so I was borderline already thinking I'd be streaming, but if he can't perform at home that's troubling. 

Play calling was conservative too. And with TB being tough against the run normally I would have expected the game plan to be more through the air.

Michael Thomas injury doesn't help.

Can't believe it but I'm eyeing Minshew in waivers this week.

Yes.  He looks his age + Thomas has a high ankle sprain, one of those injuries that could be a problem all season. 

Brees is not going to fall off a cliff, but his days of putting up all-world numbers on a regular basis are probably over.

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Yes.  He looks his age + Thomas has a high ankle sprain, one of those injuries that could be a problem all season. 

Brees is not going to fall off a cliff, but his days of putting up all-world numbers on a regular basis are probably over.

The one pass that traveled more than 20 yards in the air was a perfect strike to Jared Cook that traveled 40 yards in the air. I think NO will try to stretch the defenses more in future games with passes to Cook and Smith. Brees will not throw for 5,000 yards again, but he could easily be top 10 in FF.

I’m not going to overact. Both teams seemed to be a bit tentative. And Brady’s pick 6 didn’t help. Allowed Saints to grind clock and ensure a conservative win. The fact they can’t run the ball consistently means it’ll still fall on Brees. He can throw downfield. 

I've had Brees in my dynasty league since 2004 but I am officially concerned for the first time. I am wondering if I would be better dropping him for the best QB on waivers.  I don't like overreacting to Week 1 but the lack of effort to go deep at all concerns me.

Every expert on the planet is saying sit Brees this week.

He's old. M. Thomas out. Lean on the running game. Blah blah blah.

Starting to feel my contrarian streak.

Had been tinkering with the idea of picking up P. Rivers vs. MN lousy secondary, but I could also see Brees putting up serious points against that lousy LV D. 

I've owned Drew his entire career in dynasty. But he hardly attempted any passes downfield tonight or last week. He doesn't look the same. Is it time to drop him and pick up the best QB on waivers? Hate to say it but I think so.  What are your thoughts?  

2 minutes ago, az_prof said:

I've owned Drew his entire career in dynasty. But he hardly attempted any passes downfield tonight or last week. He doesn't look the same. Is it time to drop him and pick up the best QB on waivers? Hate to say it but I think so.  What are your thoughts?  

Depends on what QB's are available. I don't see how he can be considered an every week starter anymore unless your only other QB is someone like Mayfield or D. Jones.

• Like 1

Not that fan-site yahoos mean anything ... but the pro-Brees contingent on Saintsreport is dead silent tonight. The “Bench Brees!” Crew is running all over the parade ground unchallenged.

When somebody took J. Allen right before me leaving me with Brees I felt uneasy. 

After watching the game last night I'm feeling a lot worse.

No Thomas and really no passing game other than to Kamara. Lot of shaky throws. Seems like a struggle to throw it down the field 20 yards.

Definite bench against GB. Borderline dropable. Damn...thinking of Trubisky @ATL instead.

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

When somebody took J. Allen right before me leaving me with Brees I felt uneasy. 

After watching the game last night I'm feeling a lot worse.

No Thomas and really no passing game other than to Kamara. Lot of shaky throws. Seems like a struggle to throw it down the field 20 yards.

Definite bench against GB. Borderline dropable. Damn...thinking of Trubisky @ATL instead.

Counterpoint. Thomas will return and Brees had 27 TDs and averaged 294 yards in his 10 complete games last year.

The great Brees is gone.   It was a good run.   He has been one of my favorite QBs to watch for years.   He can still manage the O but he isn’t scaring defenses any longer.   Good defenses will focus on Kamara and dare Brees to beat them.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Counterpoint. Thomas will return and Brees had 27 TDs and averaged 294 yards in his 10 complete games last year.

He didn't look so hot last week either with Thomas in the lineup.

I'm hoping things are just "off" here in the early going and Thomas' absence is contributing. That said, my gut and eyes tell me that maybe the cliff has arrived.

54 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

He didn't look so hot last week either with Thomas in the lineup.

I'm hoping things are just "off" here in the early going and Thomas' absence is contributing. That said, my gut and eyes tell me that maybe the cliff has arrived.

I thought Griese raised a good point post game last night... he said for the first time in many years Brees looks uncomfortable in the pocket.

First 3-4 weeks is kind of messy in normal years... 2020 is wide open with extra injury bug to boot.

I thought Brees arm looked pretty weak against the Raiders. Dare I say, noodlish?

Floated a couple balls, and was wildly inaccurate on shorter throws. I don’t recall any shots deep, and that Int was just a terrible read. 

If I’m a NOS fan or Brees owner, I’m concerned. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I thought Brees arm looked pretty weak against the Raiders. Dare I say, noodlish?

Floated a couple balls, and was wildly inaccurate on shorter throws. I don’t recall any shots deep, and that Int was just a terrible read. 

If I’m a NOS fan or Brees owner, I’m concerned. 

Much like Tommy, looks like father time is closing in......kept waiting for him to really pick the Raidahs apart, but it just never really happened.....very un-Brees like.

• Like 1

I dropped Brees after years of having him and picked up Taysom Hill and Teddy Bridgewater.  I also have Goff. 

I am struggling with who will be the QB to own if Brees is benched should they lose a couple more games and he continues to look weak?  How do people rate Hill vs Jameis Winston.

As a Saints fan I don't see how they don't go to Winston.  I'm not a fan of him, but he gives them the best chance.