What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (2 Viewers)

Don't think it's an injury he can reaggrevate. Its a bruised rotator cuff. Arm strength is the only question

Screw it. I'm rolling him out there. Payton's quote from the other day was pretty vanilla: "Drew plans to start, and we plan on starting him." Or something like that....not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I wouldn't believe the coach-speak if he had been more effusive anyway. My alternative is Rivers, who I would start were it not for 4/5ths of his o-line likely being out vs. Browns (they'll probably run it 35 times).

Thought he looked good last night. Decent volume of pass attempts, good enough arm strength. If we lessen our expectations from when Drew threw 3 or 4 TDs per game to more like 2 TDs per game, he's a solid starter.

He did look pretty good. Thank goodness for bad kickers that allow games to go to overtime.

Drew has a really nice upcoming schedule. Would be nice to see better chemistry with Cooks though.

There have been TWO players in NFL history with a single game of 7 TDs and 500+ yards - Drew Brees and Y. A. TIttle.

(source - Jim Henderson)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun I looked at the list of top qbs in my league and I kept asking myself "based on recent play, career resume, and ros schedule, is there a single qb I'd rather have starting for my fantasy team other than Drew Brees"

The answer for me was yes...ONE guy. Brady. But that's it. He's the only qb in fantasy rt now is start over Brees.

Which is nuts because about a month ago I was almost considering trading him low or dropping him BC he was bad and he was hurt. So glad I weathered that storm. His schedule is just juicy from here on out and he has the best playoff schedule of all fantasy qbs.

rickyg said:
Just for fun I looked at the list of top qbs in my league and I kept asking myself "based on recent play, career resume, and ros schedule, is there a single qb I'd rather have starting for my fantasy team other than Drew Brees"

The answer for me was yes...ONE guy. Brady. But that's it. He's the only qb in fantasy rt now is start over Brees.

Which is nuts because about a month ago I was almost considering trading him low or dropping him BC he was bad and he was hurt. So glad I weathered that storm. His schedule is just juicy from here on out and he has the best playoff schedule of all fantasy qbs.
Agreed. Love the schedule. I have Palmer and Brees, and I'm shopping Palmer because he holds more trade value, but I evaluate them pretty close ROS. Does the loss of Khiry Robinson lead to some more goal line passes for Brees?

I picked up Houston DST this week and started them over the Rams.

But even I didn't expect the Saints to be that inept.

Got me to the championship last night..hoping MRI shows nothing .. little worried
Considering I lost Dalton last week and don't even have a backup rostered, I'm definitely worried right now. :no:

C'mon buddy, I just need you for one more week to help bring team SUCK BREES NUTZ another championship!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got me to the championship last night..hoping MRI shows nothing .. little worried
Considering I lost Dalton last week and don't even have a backup rostered, I'm definitely worried right now. :no:

C'mon buddy, I just need you for one more week to help bring team SUCK BREES NUTZ another championship!
Not a Brees owner so don't know the history (if there is one) but would you be worried/concerned that they give him a go but pull him quickly if he's hobbled (since they are eliminated and all)?

Brees came through for me to vault another team into the finals. Gutty performance. I hope he is OK and can help me win a title this week.

Not a Brees owner so don't know the history (if there is one) but would you be worried/concerned that they give him a go but pull him quickly if he's hobbled (since they are eliminated and all)?
This is my 6th year of having Brees in a keeper, and we haven't really run into this kind of situation before.

I was really worried about that last night, because like you said they have nothing to play for. Hopefully it's a good sign that he went back out there in a game that didn't matter.

Unfortunately for me, if he's starting I'll have to play with him and deal with the consequences. No way I could stomach Brees going off on my bench in the finals.

This is my 6th year of having Brees in a keeper, and we haven't really run into this kind of situation before.

I was really worried about that last night, because like you said they have nothing to play for. Hopefully it's a good sign that he went back out there in a game that didn't matter.

Unfortunately for me, if he's starting I'll have to play with him and deal with the consequences. No way I could stomach Brees going off on my bench in the finals.
What's Payton's tendencies in cases like these?

Form the outside looking in, I always see Brees as a guy who is going to fight hard to be out there and Payton as the type of coach that says "it's your call".

Like I said, I don't own Brees but I can see his playing/not playing being a MAJOR factor this week across FF title games as it could dictate the scoring and game plans of people owning all these JAgs and Saints players.

Drew Brees will not want to miss a game. Drew will play if he has any say, and I think he does.

He finished last nights game and finished it better than most QBs this week with two good feet.

#Saints QB Drew Brees MRI that revealed torn plantar fascia in right foot. Awaiting opinion of Dr Robert Anderson, also treating P Manning.
— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) December 22, 2015

Source tells me #Saints QB Drew Brees hopes to play final 2 games but injury is to foot he plants when throws. Expected to be day-to-day

— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) December 22, 2015

dirtyjay said:
Drew Brees will not want to miss a game. Drew will play if he has any say, and I think he does.

He finished last nights game and finished it better than most QBs this week with two good feet.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but what makes you say this? I don't think any player would necessarily want to miss a game, but if dr.'s advise him to sit out a meaningless game, I don't see him as a guy that would fight to play.

dirtyjay said:

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but what makes you say this? I don't think any player would necessarily want to miss a game, but if dr.'s advise him to sit out a meaningless game, I don't see him as a guy that would fight to play.
He played threw an arm injury that could have kept him out longer this year, and from his history I seem to feel he prides himself on being a leader and people like that will play through any injury if they can no matter the stakes.

I wonder how this will all go down. Big time impact if he can't go or can't play throughout.

Can people risk starting Cooks, Watson, etc if he sits? Lots of story lines here.

I wonder how this will all go down. Big time impact if he can't go or can't play throughout.

Can people risk starting Cooks, Watson, etc if he sits? Lots of story lines here.
I am hoping he plays. I really need this saints/jags game to be a shootout

Hmm .. stick with Brees or trade him and 2 late 2nd round rookie picks for Stafford - dynasty
Have had Brees in my keeper league since 2006 when he exited San Diego and joined New Orleans. I am at the same crossroads as I picked up C Palmer this year and am wondering who I will keep. Will we see Brees continue to slip in 2016 as many changes could be in store for the saints this offseason?

Hmm .. stick with Brees or trade him and 2 late 2nd round rookie picks for Stafford - dynasty
Have had Brees in my keeper league since 2006 when he exited San Diego and joined New Orleans. I am at the same crossroads as I picked up C Palmer this year and am wondering who I will keep. Will we see Brees continue to slip in 2016 as many changes could be in store for the saints this offseason?
Part of me just may do the trade regardless of injury and get younger qb .. with Peyton and Brees as my qbs it's probably something I should do

I would be stunned if he played. If they had anything at all to play for, I could see it. Just don't see any reason whatsoever to put him out there in a meaningless game. Hope I'm wrong being that I'll be forced to start Osweiler now. Yikes.

I would be stunned if he played. If they had anything at all to play for, I could see it. Just don't see any reason whatsoever to put him out there in a meaningless game. Hope I'm wrong being that I'll be forced to start Osweiler now. Yikes.
Obviously I'm being optimistic as an owner, but the same could've been said for the 2nd half of the game last week, yet he came back in, and played well.

Also to my knowledge there isn't any risk that he's gonna make it worse, no matter what he should be fine for OTA's and all that.

And as someone else said, the guy will do everything he can to play. He's the team captain, he leads by example. If he decides to sit out a "meaningless" game that he might be able to play in, what does that say to the rest of the team?

Obviously I'm being optimistic as an owner, but the same could've been said for the 2nd half of the game last week, yet he came back in, and played well.

Also to my knowledge there isn't any risk that he's gonna make it worse, no matter what he should be fine for OTA's and all that.

And as someone else said, the guy will do everything he can to play. He's the team captain, he leads by example. If he decides to sit out a "meaningless" game that he might be able to play in, what does that say to the rest of the team?
Well the "no risk making it worse" argument is a bit flawed. Yes perhaps that specific injury cannot be further damaged but it can very well put him at risk for another injury. It clearly affected his mobility and if he's a sitting duck back there, he's in harms way a lot more then he'd be w/o said foot issue. So yea he's tough, he's a leader, all that good stuff. Just doesn't make sense to risk anything at all at this point. For himself and the franchise.

Again, hope I'm wrong here.

Well the "no risk making it worse" argument is a bit flawed. Yes perhaps that specific injury cannot be further damaged but it can very well put him at risk for another injury. It clearly affected his mobility and if he's a sitting duck back there, he's in harms way a lot more then he'd be w/o said foot issue. So yea he's tough, he's a leader, all that good stuff. Just doesn't make sense to risk anything at all at this point. For himself and the franchise.

He was still more mobile than lots of NFL quarterbacks, so I think the injury side of this might be a little less risky than you think. I realize Brees may suffer from what he used to be able to do, compared to what he can do now and maybe put himself in a worse spot, but I am confident Brees can adjust to this.

I think he will want to go, and I think teams still want to win even when they have been eliminated. There have been plenty of times a team wins a tough fought game that hurts their draft position late in a lost season. Plenty of times they mail it in too though.

The fact they let him finish the game when they were down so much and still tried so hard to win is encouraging.

But since my other QB is Eli who just lost ODB, I obviously am a bit biased.

He was still more mobile than lots of NFL quarterbacks, so I think the injury side of this might be a little less risky than you think. I realize Brees may suffer from what he used to be able to do, compared to what he can do now and maybe put himself in a worse spot, but I am confident Brees can adjust to this. I think he will want to go, and I think teams still want to win even when they have been eliminated. There have been plenty of times a team wins a tough fought game that hurts their draft position late in a lost season. Plenty of times they mail it in too though.

The fact they let him finish the game when they were down so much and still tried so hard to win is encouraging.

But since my other QB is Eli who just lost ODB, I obviously am a bit biased.
At least you have Eli, if Brees can't go I am rolling with a cluster of waivers with Schaub or Hasselbek

At least you have Eli, if Brees can't go I am rolling with a cluster of waivers with Schaub or Hasselbek
Looks like I'll be stuck rolling with Cousins against my Eagles, or even Osweiller if I have to wait.

Lost Dalton last week, didn't pick up another QB since I had Brees. As you would guess, the guy I'm playing in the finals picked up 2 QBs last night. (He already had Brady and Wilson)

I have Brees and Bortles going against each other. Both would be great plays. I really, really want to play even a gimpy Brees at home. Don't think Jags have a pass rush. Brees can go from the gun and pick them apart. I bet he plays.

I have Brees and Bortles going against each other. Both would be great plays. I really, really want to play even a gimpy Brees at home. Don't think Jags have a pass rush. Brees can go from the gun and pick them apart. I bet he plays.
Heh, Hoping on him toughing it out. Our league has a "use who got you here" policy where our rosters lock before playoffs start. Unfortunately I have brees and dalton as my qbs. I'll have to take an empty QB position if he sits for the finals.

Purely speculation at this point, but if they let him play last week the way he looked in the second quarter, I cant imagine the saints tell him he cant go. Gonna have to come down to his own personal decision imo.

Brees played at a high level on MNF through the injury; so I'd expect him to play. He is the ultimate competitor.

The other factor to consider is that Brees counts $30 million against the cap for 2016, so it's quite possible that this could be the last home game for the Payton-Brees Era. I'd expect Brees to go out with a bang, along with a monster game for Brandin Cooks.

Full disclosure: yes, he's my starter in the finals.

Irish Chaos said:
Heh, Hoping on him toughing it out. Our league has a "use who got you here" policy where our rosters lock before playoffs start. Unfortunately I have brees and dalton as my qbs. I'll have to take an empty QB position if he sits for the finals.

Purely speculation at this point, but if they let him play last week the way he looked in the second quarter, I cant imagine the saints tell him he cant go. Gonna have to come down to his own personal decision imo.
That may be the dumbest rule I've ever heard in my life. No offense.

dcgangstas said:
Brees played at a high level on MNF through the injury; so I'd expect him to play. He is the ultimate competitor.

The other factor to consider is that Brees counts $30 million against the cap for 2016, so it's quite possible that this could be the last home game for the Payton-Brees Era. I'd expect Brees to go out with a bang, along with a monster game for Brandin Cooks.

Full disclosure: yes, he's my starter in the finals.
I like the narrative. Hope you're right. Do not own Brees but own other pieces that will be affected if he doesn't play.

The late game start doesn't help Bree's owners, especially if Peyton stays true to his word and keeps this under wraps until game time.

If I'm the Saints owner, no way does Bree's suit up this week. You don't throw your gimpy franchise QB out there in a meaningless week 16 game so that he can get hurt worse and put his offseason or 2016 at risk. Remember week 17 in 2005?

Users who are viewing this thread