What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rishard Matthews? (1 Viewer)

bweiser

Footballguy
Who the hell is this guy and why is he all of a sudden relevant?

I have AJ Green and DeSean Jackson on bye in Week 12 (poor planning by me).

Is this guy worth a pickup?

good question... 7th round pick... I guess he is mr irrelevant but could be a flier. I think it is more of an anomaly but who knows.

Talk about a coming out party!

Kid definitely has the talent to be a very good slot WR with his hands and route running abililty. I'm a bit weary of his current situation in redraft leagues(this isn't a great passing offense and Wallace/Hartline/Clay will get targets). But in non-shallow dynasty leagues he's a must own in PPR formats in my opinion.

His college highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6srtbQe3KA

Last edited by a moderator:
How has the Marvin Jones point chasing gone since his 4td game? He looks pretty quick though, could be worth a bye week flier.

Well for one thing he started getting targets week 9 vs CIN as soon as Gibson went out, 6 targets.

For another the slot guy has had some value for Philbin in the past at GB, right?

Rating Year Player School Tar Rec Yd Yd/Tar Yd/Pass

4.76 2011 Rishard Matthews Nevada 132 91 1364 10.3 3.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRK22qe6Zio

Yes.

Kid made Keaper-##### relevant at Nevada. Playmaking WR with Steve Smith attributes. Extremely strong hands, great overall strength to match his great short are burst. If the Dolphins coaching staff wasn't the worst in the league, Matthews would have been utilized last year and they would not have had to spend that money on Wallace. Kid is a playmaker.

If your in a dynasty league you need to roster him now.

Well for one thing he started getting targets week 9 vs CIN as soon as Gibson went out, 6 targets.

For another the slot guy has had some value for Philbin in the past at GB, right?
Davone Bess had WR2/3 appeal in PPR leagues
True, is Matthews a better fit than Gibson?
I'd say he has more upside and is more explosive. Hands are just as good as well. Obviously as a young player he'll probably need to improve on the little things and develop some consistent chemistry with Tannehill.

You'll be chasing points all season and you will never start him against the Jets and Panthers next couple weeks.

Revis tonight, Wallace/Hartline ineffective, he is not on the field except in 3 receiver sets.

I grabbed him in a couple leagues this offseason purely because he has very good height/weight/speed combine numbers.

I ended up dropping him because I couldn't justify the roster spot in shallow leagues. He's an interesting sleeper though.

He is worth a pickup in my opinion. As soon as Gibson went down a couple weeks back I picked up Rishard Matthews immediately.

Drop Mike Brown for him? I might need to start whoever's in that spot the next two weeks with Stevie Johnson injured/on bye.

He is worth a pickup in my opinion. As soon as Gibson went down a couple weeks back I picked up Rishard Matthews immediately.
Can Philbin, Sherm and that brain trust see to getting him on the field moving forward?

Tell you what, I don't think many are watching this game.

You'll be chasing points all season and you will never start him against the Jets and Panthers next couple weeks.

Revis tonight, Wallace/Hartline ineffective, he is not on the field except in 3 receiver sets.
Phins aren't running the ball on the Jets (#1 rush D) and Panthers (#2).

I'd have more confidence starting him vs. those 2 teams than Lamar Miller. I think the line issues benefit Matthews quite a bit running underneath and Tannehill having to unload it quick vs. those elite front 4's.

I think he's a decent stash in deep PPR formats as an underneath pass option on a team with line issues.

What team does he even play for?
Wow, if you play fantasy football, should just quit right now. The correct pickup was when Gibson went down (or if you had room, at the start of the season). Like Xue said, he's better than Gibson. Expect him to take over as the #2 eventually. He's actually the best WR on the team. Wallace sucks and has always sucked. He's just a deep threat with no other abilities. Matthews can do it all. Hartline is Hartline.

lod01 said:
andyk803 said:
Wow, if you play fantasy football, should just quit right now. The correct pickup was when Gibson went down (or if you had room, at the start of the season). Like Xue said, he's better than Gibson. Expect him to take over as the #2 eventually. He's actually the best WR on the team. Wallace sucks and has always sucked. He's just a deep threat with no other abilities. Matthews can do it all. Hartline is Hartline.
Oh come on. There are plenty of people on this forum that have probably never heard of him until last night. We all have varying levels of participation in FF, and some years we aren't able to keep up with every single backup WR in the entire league.

Put in a waiver claim for him over Mike Brown. I probably won't get him, and I'm still not totally sure who has more value. They're both WR2s, but Miami has a weaker WR1 and Tannehill is a better QB than Henne. Also, if you look at Gibson's success pre-injury, it seems clear that T-hill loves him some slot WRs.

Might start this guy over Roddy. Love chasing points.

Anyone have a link to some FBG scouting report(s)? Interested in what Bloom et al had to say.

Summarizing his entry in PFW 2012

• Deceptive Speed
  • Good Size
  • Fluid
  • Football Smart
  • Good Character
  • Not Sudden
  • Lacks elite speed
  • Subpar Blocker
  • Ran a limited route tree (in college)
  • Has developmental value

lod01 said:
andyk803 said:
Oh come on. There are plenty of people on this forum that have probably never heard of him until last night. We all have varying levels of participation in FF, and some years we aren't able to keep up with every single backup WR in the entire league.
Get with it. I drafted him in middle school.

He passed the eye test, and with Tannehill only having eyes for the slot receiver in the red zone you could come up with worse plays. They are just an impossible team to figure out. Good luck guessing when any one of their skill position people will do well any given week.

sadly dropped him last week to make roster space, trying to re-add now where ever I can.

Cruz 2.0 in my mind without the top end speed

Mike Wallace is on the books for $17,000,000 next season and Brian Hartline $6,200,000. There is no way even with a new GM on board that they can get around this in 2014. I like Mathews but Miami is firmly committed to Wallace and Hartline. Also, how often will Miami rush for 2 yards?

Assume next week Miami can muster 50 yards on the ground, Wallace and Hartline gets couple more targets or cash in on some of their receptions…where does that leave Mathews in all of this? He's interesting but unless a GM can figure out a way to make him the Miami WR1/2 and trade Wallace or Hartline and their salaries, what are really talking about here?

I know the eyeball popping stat line from the Bucs game but equally eye popping is zero rushing and a couple of high paid WRs that had very little production. We'll revisit this in a couple weeks, see if folks are still hot for this guy in Miami right now.

How has the Marvin Jones point chasing gone since his 4td game? He looks pretty quick though, could be worth a bye week flier.
he was top 10 in targets and the dolphins are gonna be playing catchup/trainwreck from here on out. im in.
I reconsidered I'm in. I'll be honest I didn't think I'd get him on waivers, so I was just jealous. Can't wait to point chase!

Mike Wallace is on the books for $17,000,000 next season and Brian Hartline $6,200,000. There is no way even with a new GM on board that they can get around this in 2014. I like Mathews but Miami is firmly committed to Wallace and Hartline. Also, how often will Miami rush for 2 yards?

Assume next week Miami can muster 50 yards on the ground, Wallace and Hartline gets couple more targets or cash in on some of their receptions…where does that leave Mathews in all of this? He's interesting but unless a GM can figure out a way to make him the Miami WR1/2 and trade Wallace or Hartline and their salaries, what are really talking about here?

I know the eyeball popping stat line from the Bucs game but equally eye popping is zero rushing and a couple of high paid WRs that had very little production. We'll revisit this in a couple weeks, see if folks are still hot for this guy in Miami right now.
MOP, I'm not purposely trying to disagree with you in every thread. But the NFL looks much different than it has in years past. Trading a player like Trent Richardson,or letting a Pro Bowl QB like Peyton Manning walk, just didn't happen 10 years ago.

Couple that with the possibility of an entirely new staff next year and who knows what could happen. Winning fixes everything. I will agree that the rest of this season will be telling. But, if Matthews can out produce the other receivers on the field, it would be an easier sell for a coach to the GM. (or owner)

It's not current and the data isn't up to date, but I posted a really simple WR study last year. Matthews was included in the elite category.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IPawJ_J3AOpHhSKolqSdri_mr7YbDKgBQxEAGK2E4Vo/pub

I've modified this A LOT since it was posted, but I haven't finished preparing it to reflect the changes.
This is excellent.

Where did you get all of the measurables? Is there a file download or was it all manually entered?

Are Wonderlics available anywhere?

Thanks!!!

between what Whitney26 posted and memories that Victor Cruz and Jordy broke through a with established stars in front of them, I'm taking a flyer

Brandon Gibson was getting an average of 7 targets a game before he got hurt, and Matthews has gotten 24 targets in three games since then. Sure, that is inflated by him getting 14 on Monday night, but despite what you think, no one is thinking he will put up 11-120-2 every week or even again. However, the slot guy in Miami is averaging 7.4 targets a game (counting both Gibson's and Matthews' targets in the NE game, since that is when Gibson got hurt). This means the slot guy in Miami has value, which means Matthews could be a good spot starter in PPR down the stretch this year. Stop trying to spin this into anything more or something it's not.

MOP, I'm not purposely trying to disagree with you in every thread. But the NFL looks much different than it has in years past. Trading a player like Trent Richardson,or letting a Pro Bowl QB like Peyton Manning walk, just didn't happen 10 years ago.

Couple that with the possibility of an entirely new staff next year and who knows what could happen. Winning fixes everything. I will agree that the rest of this season will be telling. But, if Matthews can out produce the other receivers on the field, it would be an easier sell for a coach to the GM. (or owner)
Listen up hot cakes, I welcome going toe to toe with you on football related matters because I have facts and figures on my side not feelings and emotions. :boxing:

Wallace singed fro $60,000,000 but that's only half the story. He is guaranteed $27,000,000 out of that contract come hell or high-water. He got $10M-$11M last season and he is due the remainder of that guarantee next year. His signing bonus was paid but spread out over the contract for cap purposes.

Now let's look inside Wallace's head for a second because this is a guy who openly #####ed about not enough targets after Miami won in Week 1. It will only get worse as we go into next season. Miami cannot game plan 8-10 targets a week for Rishard Mathews, just not gonna happen.

You brought up Trent Richardson…he was $21,000,000 of dead money in 2012. His cap figure in 2013? How about $1.3M and it left Cleveland with $6.6M in dead money against the cap which Indy might have helped them with on the trade but his cap number to Indy as he arrives? $1.3M/$2.2/$3.1 in '13/'14/'15, he wasn't gonna cost them much because the Browns already had eaten a lot when they signed him his rookie year.

Let's jump back to Wallace…he has a cap hit of $17.5M in 2014, $12m-'15, $13.75M-'16, $13.75M-'17…who is gonna want that? Trent Richardson was a steal from a financial standpoint for teams wanting him, Wallace is an albatross.

We can have wild Rishard Mathews fantasies in the coming weeks but the numbers don't lie. Wallace costs far too much money to trade, Miami would have to eat it and release him to the tune of almost $25,000,000 in DEAD MONEY in 2014…i don't see a new GM coming in here and wanting to commit cap suicide year 1.

Which also brings up the likelihood of Miami getting a decent GM, not many will want this mess that Miami/Ireland has created.

:popcorn:

between what Whitney26 posted and memories that Victor Cruz and Jordy broke through a with established stars in front of them, I'm taking a flyer
Completely different WRs. Cruz and Nelson are long ball threats. Mathews was not covered the other night and is avg around 11 ypc. Also going from Manning and Rodgers to Tannehill, slight difference.

Who gives a #### how much money Wallace is making? That has zero impact on if Matthews will produce down the stretch. If nothing else, Wallace has been a highly-paid decoy this year. Wallace is averaging 8.7 targets a game this year; the Miami slot WR is averaging 7.4. Does that mean Matthews will be a beast? Of course not. But he should keep getting enough targets to be a solid PPR guy down the stretch.

Who gives a #### how much money Wallace is making? That has zero impact on if Matthews will produce down the stretch. If nothing else, Wallace has been a highly-paid decoy this year. Wallace is averaging 8.7 targets a game this year; the Miami slot WR is averaging 7.4. Does that mean Matthews will be a beast? Of course not. But he should keep getting enough targets to be a solid PPR guy down the stretch.
I'm talking dynasty, we might be on slightly different topics.

Let's Roll! :drive:

I never said they would cut Wallace. A good, strong coach can come in and dictate to Wallace how the game plan is going to work. If he has 3 targets a game, let him whine. If he does something detrimental to the team, fine him. As it looks right now, Wallace is acting the part of a baby and the Dolphin's staff is allowing it.

Do you think BB, or one of the Harbaugh brothers would put up with that? A new coach will want to win, regardless of who gets paid the most money.

I never said they would cut Wallace. A good, strong coach can come in and dictate to Wallace how the game plan is going to work. If he has 3 targets a game, let him whine. If he does something detrimental to the team, fine him. As it looks right now, Wallace is acting the part of a baby and the Dolphin's staff is allowing it.

Do you think BB, or one of the Harbaugh brothers would put up with that? A new coach will want to win, regardless of who gets paid the most money.
All feelings and emotions, all conjecture on the yet to be named future coach.

:boxing: 1st round TKO!

For those that might not know, KC and I are just having fun, we post back and forth in the FFA, no need to jump in the middle.

:suds:

All feelings and emotions, all conjecture on the yet to be named future coach.

:boxing: 1st round TKO! :drive: :drive: :drive:

For those that might not know, KC and I are just having fun, we post back and forth in the FFA, no need to jump in the middle.

:suds:
Wait. Since when do the boxers get to decided a TKO.

Besides, I drove a truck right through the ring.

The defenses will all be focused on limiting Wallace's deep threat speed which does leave lots of single coverage opportunities for Matthews. In ppr, he looks like a decent flex play going forward. I'm thinking long and hard about possibly picking him up to cover AJ Green's bye week next week.

Users who are viewing this thread