What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rishard Matthews? (1 Viewer)

@Bri what you think add taylor now as speculation play?? I mean corey isnt doing #### someone has to catch the ball there
The O has been awful under the new OC for FF and/or general stats. Some say they're 2-1 so it's been good. I don't agree.

Taylor had the most first team offensive reps of any player this summer but he doesn't have the snaps this season even after scoring that TD where he showed what he can do. I think it has to be Taylor. 

If this was a good offense it would be Nick Williams too since he looked real good in the slot and LaFleur brought him over. He's tiny and low ceiling.

Mariota's swelling went down and the feeling didn't come back 100%. He threw very well but what can you say about a QB with nerve damage to his throwing hand? Yesterday reporters discussed how MM8 was told the nerves would regenerate but they don't think that's true. I expect a reporter calls a doc and then questions Mariota today or tomorrow once he has this knowledge from a doc.

Mariota hurt his elbow but the feeling is in his hand. Maybe the damage is in the elbow. I might have misspoke there. I'm not sure if its worded as the root or the destination.

ESPN radio driving home said Pats and Cowboys were on the horn last night. Landry and Matthews talking of course.

Unconfirmed source had 5th and 4th round pick. Pats offered 3rd twice this off-season and turned down. 

Titans WERE to get a third as compensation but now...after minimal production they probably don't get much of anything.

Redoing his deal from 5 to 7.5 mil turned out to be a huge mistake for JRob but it sets up a timeline of love and dislike once Vrabel arrived.

He should catch on quick as long as he really is healthy. A really good complementary receiver.

Not surprised the Pats were interested. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Matthews owner in dynasty(have been a fan since the MIA days) all I can say is ANY change is good change now that he's escaped the Revis Island that the entire TEN offense has become.

I followed the weird summer of Matthews with interest and can't remember a situation quite like it. He had a super secret surgery, then was nowhere to be found until just before the season when he signed that crazy extension and then miraculously was healthy enough to start practicing. Hmmmmm. I'm just spit-balling but it sounds to me like he wanted more money because he was the #1 WR on the team for multiple years and not getting paid like it, TEN told him to pound sand until just before the season starts. Just to get him back on the field they "meet in the middle" by offering a contract that isn't worth the paper it's written on and dare him to produce at such a level that they actually exercise the team option.... but then don't give him the opportunities to come close to earning the option.

If I remember correctly he was kind of bent out of shape for being taken for granted in MIA and that's how he ended up in TEN in the first place. There are probably something like exactly 31 other places that would be better for him to earn his 2019 contract than TEN right now. I think this "quitting on his team" stuff is just an extension of the bad blood that may have been going on all summer over his contract and what was fair given his production the past two seasons, but admittedly that's just a guess.

Pickup Matthews now if you have hope in him. I got to talk to him briefly and may get to chat tonight

Bri said:
16,17,18 he was to make 5 mil.

This year they gave him 7.5 and one more year at 7.5. I guess it's a raise for a year (2.5 mil) and an extension
I had heard the $7.5-7.75M contract number but I thought that was a 2019 team option with $0 guaranteed. So if they weren't going to play him that part of the contract is just imaginary.

According to Over the Cap he was set to count $6.4M against the cap in 2018(before he left) but I wasn't sure if any of that were due to bonus payments....

https://overthecap.com/player/rishard-matthews/716

.... but I agree his base salary was $5M. Maybe it's possible that some of that extra $1.4M were bonuses that he was unlikely to hit while sitting on the bench?

I had heard the $7.5-7.75M contract number but I thought that was a 2019 team option with $0 guaranteed. So if they weren't going to play him that part of the contract is just imaginary.

According to Over the Cap he was set to count $6.4M against the cap in 2018(before he left) but I wasn't sure if any of that were due to bonus payments....

https://overthecap.com/player/rishard-matthews/716

.... but I agree his base salary was $5M. Maybe it's possible that some of that extra $1.4M were bonuses that he was unlikely to hit while sitting on the bench?
You can scroll back to see

This was Mariota's boy and top 5 or top 10 in third down efficiency. Vrabel was quoted as saying he thought Matthews was too slow and they needed more team speed but when he watched him run through the seattle D, he said maybe that's not the case. Well, Matthews spent the offseason NOT participating. Then two trade rumors that were confirmed during the draft and after. Then the guy finally gets in in practice and tweaks his knee. When the season starts, he's the starter but his snap total and target totals are miniscule. 

I have like 8 million things I think a new coach can change up and how they can treat a player. Vrabel has treated several very poorly. It's naive forest for the trees stuff. We couldn't attract a free agent unless the guy was a backup for years and years, then finally the culture changed. Everyone knows Matthews was a key cog and to black ball him from practice and treat him this way will not go over well. I can go on and on with several players but quickest would be to say he gave ten camp awards and nine of those players have been cut. It matters for free agency and it matters for the team morale. As long as the guy isn't devoid of talent, ya can't praise a guy's hustle and impact on preseason games and then cut him. Be all proud of how a CB switched to S and worked his way up to the starters and shine on him and then cut him. It's the pros and all, but players do still feed off a coach's feedback. If he cuts the guys he praises then how does that translate next year in camp? or in games? It can't be "oh no he said great job" but yet what is the reaction when he compliments you?

I remember reading about BB in Cleveland and I think Vrabel is way too similar to that BB than the New England version. He doesn't have to be a people person, he can just shush and state facts during pressers and be the most dry guy around. He's absolutely flopping at fudging or creating smokescreens or whatever ya call it. Last week's game was fantastic and that will buy him time to grow as a coach and improve as a manager. Some of the first three games were not good. He needs to win and also maybe praise Lewan and Ryan. Get it out there that his praise is sincere and not the kiss of death. He can definitely dig his way out of a poorly managed camp, but he's gotta own it and do it

He doesn't have to be a people person, he can just shush and state facts during pressers and be the most dry guy around. He's absolutely flopping at fudging or creating smokescreens or whatever ya call it. Last week's game was fantastic and that will buy him time to grow as a coach and improve as a manager. Some of the first three games were not good. He needs to win and also maybe praise Lewan and Ryan. Get it out there that his praise is sincere and not the kiss of death. He can definitely dig his way out of a poorly managed camp, but he's gotta own it and do it
Yeah, TEN is a tough team to figure out. I was pretty bullish on the team this summer and GENERALLY don't like to knee-jerk but man, those first two games were pretty brutal to watch. But these last two wins were just shocking to me. AT Jax and then against PHI? This BUF game would SEEM winnable and then TEN's only loss would have been that bizarre MIA "delayed" game that took about a weekend to finish. Winning(especially close games) solves everything and having tie-breakers in your pocket vs both JAX and HOU division rivals certainly is a powerful perfume even if he has a terrible way of dealing with some people. For that matter that puts them TECHNICALLY in first place in the division and they could easily extend that lead this weekend. All that and nobody is really playing better than expected imo, so maybe that makes them an especially dangerous team moving forward.  

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
He asked me not to share so I haven't. Sorry to leave you hanging. If he signs with CLE today, I'll ask if I can write (post) about it. Sorry, this is new to me. 

Rishard's agent is advising him to sit out the year. He can get good money this offseason and he doesn't want Rishard to establish a small salary as the norm for himself. 

Browns started to negotiate at veteran minimum and a call to AZ yielded the same, so they canceled that trip. 

Rishard's agent is advising him to sit out the year. He can get good money this offseason and he doesn't want Rishard to establish a small salary as the norm for himself. 

Browns started to negotiate at veteran minimum and a call to AZ yielded the same, so they canceled that trip. 
I get the idea that you never want to spend more than you have to..... BUT if you look at the cap space the Browns/Niners/Colts have it's pretty shocking that they wouldn't think adding a productive guy like Matthews even if it were just for a year would be a no-brainer. Does it really make any difference if you give him $1mil or TEN for this season? Weird.

ARZ makes the most sense of all(after Fitz they have a box of rocks and keep in mind that they have a rookie QB that can't even practice with Fitz most of the time all week) but I kind of understand that they are up against the cap. Whey they can't creative with the cap to keep him there more than a year is still a mystery.

Sometimes I think teams are so hung up on winning the contract negotiations that they don't mind losing games to do it. This isn't a college kid that you are HOPING can be productive in the NFL.... this is a guy in his prime that has proven he can not only be productive but can be a WR#1, but can be a WR#1 when the guys that are getting drafted and/or payed much higher are not producing. 

Sometimes it seems like a crazy league.

• Smile
This doesn’t seem like it was a great move.
Vrabel really treated him like an outcast or maybe that's not the word, ummm not part of the team and it sort of had to happen for Rishard. He wasn't allowed to practice so many times and ran with the scout team so many others; man that's not how you treat a guy that often felt like the only good player ya had.

Is that what he's going to do?  Can I drop him in dynasty for now then?

There could be a grievance filed as soon as tomorrow. Waiting for an OK/permission to post reasoning

• Smile
Reactions: ZWK
Seems like just another guy to me. Would rather draft a kid out of college for cheaper than what this quitter wants to be paid.

I say blackball him.

I don't understand the general feeling that Matthews is JAG. The league is littered with guys that have 1700+yards receiving the past two years? Really? That doesn't seem like just another guy or someone that should be negotiating from the league minimum to me.

But the Colts, with $52M in cap space, just signed Dontrell Inman to their squad to help out Luck. Dontrell Inman. Think about that. I would say that the league is littered with guys like Dontrell Inman. Rishard Matthews, not so much. What do I know.

I don't understand the general feeling that Matthews is JAG. The league is littered with guys that have 1700+yards receiving the past two years? Really? That doesn't seem like just another guy or someone that should be negotiating from the league minimum to me.

But the Colts, with $52M in cap space, just signed Dontrell Inman to their squad to help out Luck. Dontrell Inman. Think about that. I would say that the league is littered with guys like Dontrell Inman. Rishard Matthews, not so much. What do I know.
In fairness, Inman flashed when Keenan Allen tore his ACL, he's another good WR that didn't get a chance before. Dude could legit pick up the #2 WR role when TY comes back as the #1.

Rishard Matthews has worked out for the Jets, Cardinals and Browns after asking for his release from the Titans.

But no one has offered him a new home, and now Matthews said he doesn’t expect to sign before next season.

“Probably not,” Matthews said, via Allan Bell of 247 Sports in Nashville. “A lot of teams are turned off by my past as if I have some criminal record. Most likely won’t see me until next season.”

A month after Matthews signed a one-year extension with the Titans through 2019, he asked for Tennessee to cut him. Matthews had only three catches for 11 yards in three games this season.

Matthews joined the Titans in 2016 and made 118 catches for 1,740 yards and 13 touchdowns in his first two seasons in Tennessee. But he missed the offseason with an Achilles injury and then tore a meniscus early in training camp.

In fairness, Inman flashed when Keenan Allen tore his ACL, he's another good WR that didn't get a chance before. Dude could legit pick up the #2 WR role when TY comes back as the #1.
I guess it feels like an apples to oranges comparison to me. In 2016 when he was literally the only receiver to start more than 12 games(Inman started all 16) for the chargers Inman averaged 50yards/game and one TD a month. That's for a QB that gets 4500yards/year in and year out. Compare that to the passing games that Matthews has been a part of. While the numbers from that one season may look similar to Matthews production if you look into the context of that production Matthews was wringing a lot more out of a lot less.

Jets signed WR Rishard Matthews.

This comes just a week after Matthews said he was unlikely to sign with a team this season. With Quincy Enunwa (ankle) out indefinitely and Terrelle Pryor no longer on the roster, this is a good landing spot for Matthews, but it will likely take him some time to settle in. He is only deep-league stash at this point.
Kearse

Matthwews

Anderson

Not bad... better than Pryor out there. Matthews could definitely get some traction in a week or two.

What happened to Kearse Sunday? 

My issue with Matthews is he doesn't get wide open, he just gets position and wins passes. It might take some time for a new QB to trust that

What happened to Kearse Sunday? 

My issue with Matthews is he doesn't get wide open, he just gets position and wins passes. It might take some time for a new QB to trust that
just one of those things where it made no sense. Kearse played almost all snaps, Darnold threw 40+ times, and Kearse had 0 catches. Kearse seemed upset so I think Bates might get him more involved this week. Callahan (slot CB, Bears) is decent but hobbled lately, Mack's ankle is too which could allow less pressure on Darnold. Something to watch.

If I say c'mon 40 passes he should have got some, what's your reply? I didn't watch just very hmmm here especially with Matthews signing. Do you mind a reply to that?

Guys I picked up Kearse and was set to drop him until I read your comments.

However Anderson is still on waivers.  What's your projection for him ROS in 1-point ppr?

If I say c'mon 40 passes he should have got some, what's your reply? I didn't watch just very hmmm here especially with Matthews signing. Do you mind a reply to that?
From RotoWorld

Without Quincy Enunwa (ankle) and Terrelle Pryor (released) available, Jermaine Kearse played 64-of-71 snaps (including 40 from the slot), as expected. What wasn’t expected was his goose egg on just two targets. Kearse still ran 40 routes to Robby Anderson’s 41, but it was the latter who was honed in on for a team-high 10 targets. Anderson has averaged an increased 78.6 air yards per game in his last three performances, an encouraging mark with only Kearse and newly signed Rishard Matthews behind him. Kearse is still rosterable for another week, but Anderson clearly needs to be regarded higher moving forward.
outlier game.

• Smile
Saints signed WR Rishard Matthews.

It's the first we've heard of Matthews this offseason following his truly strange 2018. Going on 30, Matthews made five appearances between the Titans and Jets after he forced his way out of Tennessee last September. He struggled to get on the field for the Jets before a hamstring injury landed him on injured reserve. Just two years removed from back-to-back 800-yard seasons, Matthews should have a real shot at cracking the Saints' 53-man roster if he's over whatever ailed his 2018.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 4:37 PM ET

Brees is a good QB for him. Again, he doesn't get open, he just gets position. Brees understands. 

He's probably done and won't make it, but that's good camp body to show the young WRs about positioning. 

This is the Saints' hedge play on Cameron Meredith. Might play out, might not. Agree about the technician mentoring...could do a lot worse than to have Rishard and Ginn around a bunch of young'uns.

Seemed to me he would have had a much better chance to catch on with the chargers as their #4WR(maybe even #3 given Benjamin's dwindling production since they signed him years ago).

It's a shame, but he really misplayed his opportunities badly. I think he was underappreciated in both MIA and TEN, but he also acted kind of bizarre toward the end of the TEN run that ultimately submarined his chances moving forward. Yeah, he was being underpaid but the way you get the big payday is outperform your contract in your FINAL year. Instead he signed some weird extension with TEN to save face that only gave the team more power over him..... and then promptly asked for his release. Then he goes to NYJ midseason to try to pick up the pieces. At that point you are damaged goods and can only hope for a prove-it contract. Maybe NO overstated how much opportunity he would get but even if Butler wouldn't have blown up in training camp he still had Smith/Kirkwood to overcome. I enjoyed watching him play but the time to realize that it's a business and not simply a kid's game isn't when you are a couple of months away from your 30th birthday. 

Users who are viewing this thread