What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Carlson - Anything to see here? (1 Viewer)

Squintz82

Footballguy
With the playoffs approaching, I'm starting to look at some emerging talent at TE for the stretch. Last night is also making me second think Tim Wright as a reliable option in the playoffs.

So with Rudolph out, Carlson has received some decent targets (6, 7 the last two weeks). This week was his breakout game, and it seemed that both Ponder and Cassel targeted him. Assuming this week was his ceiling, what would be his floor? Is he a direct replacement for Rudolph and will put up similar numbers?

Ever since Carroll's arrival, Seattle hasn't used use and still doesn't know how to use a TE. The best thing for Carlson was getting the hell outta there.

Rookie year - 55-627 5 TDs. and that was with Wallace at QB

Then 57-574 7TDs with Hasslebeck.

2010 - Carroll arrives and totally neutralizes Carlson.

Would love to see this guy in ATL.

Well on the positive side Ponder might play this week.

On the other hand Ponder might play this week. @ Seattle.
Possible garbage time catches. May have to wait until the 2nd half to get going, if at all.

Of course Ponder may be hurt again by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tossed $2 out with my low budget in the FFPC and shockingly got him. Yeah he plays in Seattle this week but he plays Green Bay next week. Could really be useful down the road.

It seattle really a bad matchup though? Tough to throw to the WRs there with Seattle's cornerbacks, so I can see a lot of check downs.

I can see Ponder not even bothering to throw to the WRs.

Then again, I can also see Ponder go 7-30 with 60 yards and four INTs.

top 12 ppr TE ROS. Get errrrr done (top 9 if you really want to know how I feel).

I think Carlson's a better receiver but Walker's the better overall TE and has a more stable QB situation.

There was a time when Carlson was a big deal.

Reed's out, Ponder's playing (incredibly that's a good thing?), I think I like Carlson better than the rest of `em.

I added him with Reed out. I admit I'm a little scared since I have a must-win game this week, but he seems more likely to put up 6+ points in a standard league than the other WW options (Rivera, Clark, Cook, and the Black Unicorn). That said, I'm not expecting a touchdown, so his ceiling seems limited.

A few threads on Carlson, just some notes from them:

- Two straight good games, really three considering he had 4 catches from the 3rd qtr on after Rudolph went out.

- He was actually successful once, as a rookie, with Seneca Wallace of all people in Seattle. SEA also had a lot of injuries at WR that year. Then with HC/QB change, salary demands, went to MIN, drafting of Rudolph, disappeared. He was discussed as a possible top-5, went ~55/600/6 two years in a row.

- Has less competition for the ball (MIN seems to have lots of qualified WRs & RBs, no one seems to get the ball much though)

- Deficiency is QB instability. Ok, but Ponder's starting now. He is a limited QB who can really use and needs a TE outlet. Also Peterson is limited a bit with his groin pull.

- Pretty good matchup vs GB.

- Last week he caught a pass from the SEA 39 and took it to the SEA 9.

Did I read that he leads Vikings in targets past 2 games?

Can't even get a 5th for him in a dynasty league where I'm all but mathematically eliminated. That's frustrating. Certainly he can help someone down the stretch

Did I read that he leads Vikings in targets past 2 games?

Can't even get a 5th for him in a dynasty league where I'm all but mathematically eliminated. That's frustrating. Certainly he can help someone down the stretch
Carlson led week 10 and in total targets. Carlson was 2nd week 11 with 7 (Patterson had 9).

What's more he plus Rudolph together almost led week 9 (together they had 8, Jennings had 9), and Rudolph had been the leader or near leader in targets for a few weeks before that (wks 6-9) (wk 7 Rudolph had 9 targets, Jennings had 10, Rudolph led wks 7, 8-9).

I guess people see Walker, Housler and GGraham as alternatives, and Rudolph will be back next year.

What puzzles me is how apparently MIN has been missing out on a potentially good 2 TE offense to pair up with Ponder and Peterson. This could have really helped Ponder.

Ponder is very limited as a passer downfield. He looks to the TE early and often. Not a bad play if you have a weak spot at TE. He'll get at least 5-6 targets a game as long as Ponder is the QB.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said at the Scouting Combine that he wanted a tight endwho can block.

He got one Friday, as the Cardinals agreed to a two-year deal with John Carlson, the team announced.

Carlson was cut by the Vikings this week, going down as one of the early busts of free agency in recent years. For the five-year, $25 million contract they Vikings gave him two years ago, he caught just 40 passes.

Carlson also had at least three concussions during that span, which makes his role throwing his body into people a risky one.

But the Cardinals are intent on adding to their protection in free agency (they’re a natural fit for several offensive linemen), and bringing Carlson in now is part of that.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said at the Scouting Combine that he wanted a tight endwho can block.

He got one Friday, as the Cardinals agreed to a two-year deal with John Carlson, the team announced.
Except Carlson is a below average blocker. I thought it was a strange signing.
I thought he was pretty good blocking in Seattle. He got lots of practice since their line has been a wonder of injury and disappointment, with the unheralded backups and scraps from other teams needing TE help quite often in the late Holmgren dark, dark, dark Mora year and Carroll's rebuild. He's a better catcher than blocker but he hasn't had the oppostunity, which is one reason imo that he bolted from Seattle first chance he got. Hard to blame him. Zach Miller has gotten the same treatment and his numbers have also been low as a result. He's likely to be restructured or cut soon with Willson and McCoy in the picture.

Plus Carlson's one concussion away from retirement, an option he considered this offseason. Also, don't rule out his inside knowledge of Carroll's offense. I'm not saying that's a major reason he was signed, but it's a bonus for a division rival. I will of course be wearing the BamBamKam jersey next time they play. I'm sure he'll reintroduce himself to Johnny.

Rotoworld:

John Carlson "impressed the most" among the tight ends at Cardinals OTAs.
The Cardinals' website has penciled in Carlson as a starter in two-tight end packages, alongside Jake Ballard and ahead of both Rob Housler and injured rookie Troy Niklas. Carlson drew praise from both Carson Palmer and coach Bruce Arians this spring. "John has done a really, really good job," Arians said. "... He plays full speed all the time and has got outstanding hands. He's not an overwhelming blocker but he's more than adequate." As usual, we'll be avoiding Cardinals tight ends in fantasy football this year.

Source: ESPN.com

Users who are viewing this thread