What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli Manning: Does Anyone Still Believe? (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Manning was a high-end QB2 in most fantasy drafts this year. He's been absolutely dreadful for the last month in particular. He's been held under 250 yards passing in each of his last four games, he hasn't thrown multiple TDs in a game since Week 5 and has only two games the entire season with more than 1 TD pass in a game (he's also been held without a TD pass twice). His remaining schedule, though, is very enticing:

Week 11: vs. Green Bay

Week 12: Dallas

Week 13: at Washington

Week 14: at San Diego

Week 15: Seattle

Week 16: at Detroit

Week 17: Washington

The Seahawks are the only formidable defense on his remaining schedule. On paper, there certainly appears to be reason for hope. Unfortunately, Manning's performance hasn't left much reason for inspiration. So how are people here viewing him going forward? Anyone buying low or thinking he can take advantage of the potentially great schedule? Or have you abandoned all hope and are moving on?

His last 4 games were vs CHI, MIN, PHI, OAK... All great matchups. Now lookup how he did and you have your answer

I gave him a second chance based on his matchup last week and he didn't produce. Going into week 11, I'd rather hang my hopes on a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown to get me into the playoffs....as crazy as that might sound. Don't overemphasize the match ups. He has done poorly against all competition as of late.

His last 4 games were vs CHI, MIN, PHI, OAK... All great matchups. Now lookup how he did and you have your answer
No doubt his lack of success against those teams would seem to suggest he's not going to fare well with the plus matchups coming up.

He's killing Cruz, too. He hasn't scored in seven weeks!!!

Last Sunday, Cruz was WIIIIIIIDE open on the 3 yard line. Not a Raider defender in sight ( :bag: ) and Eli had no pressure on him. Nevertheless, he throws hastily, and misses Victor wide by 5 feet. His accuracy and mechanics are a mess right now.

I mean, I'm a Giants fan, and if I'm being completely honest here, I didn't fully believe even right after the second Super Bowl win.

He's killing Cruz, too. He hasn't scored in seven weeks!!!

Last Sunday, Cruz was WIIIIIIIDE open on the 3 yard line. Not a Raider defender in sight ( :bag: ) and Eli had no pressure on him. Nevertheless, he throws hastily, and misses Victor wide by 5 feet. His accuracy and mechanics are a mess right now.
:hijacked:

Appreciate the hijack. I bet there are a ton more panicked Cruz owners who miss their salsa dance than their are Eli owners who have him benched for better options. Cruz is killing me. I bet Nicks owners not happy as well. Myers owners if there are any left are on the ledge. Even Randle is nothing more than a what the hell emergencey flex start. :middlefinger: at Eli.

If I owned him in redraft I would drop him. In dynasty I would take a late 2nd or early 3rd for him.
If I owned him in redraft I'd be kicking my own ### for having wasted an otherwise useful roster spot the entire month of October. Here's a complete list of QBs who have started 8 or more games this season and put up fewer fantasy points than Eli:

1. Carson Palmer
I can think of several WW QBs I'd rather have as my backup heading into the home stretch - Pryor, Tannehill, McCown, maybe even Mike Glennon. All with the same replacement-level downside and more upside.

Having said that, I'd definitely be a buyer in dynasty if I could land him for a 3rd-rounder. He put up 3 straight top-10 QB seasons from 2009-11, he's probably got 4-5 seasons left in him, and he'd be a decent low-cost insurance policy against a career-ending injury to a young, mobile guy like RG3 or Newton.

If I owned him in redraft I would drop him. In dynasty I would take a late 2nd or early 3rd for him.
If I owned him in redraft I'd be kicking my own ### for having wasted an otherwise useful roster spot the entire month of October. Here's a complete list of QBs who have started 8 or more games this season and put up fewer fantasy points than Eli:

1. Carson Palmer
I can think of several WW QBs I'd rather have as my backup heading into the home stretch - Pryor, Tannehill, McCown, maybe even Mike Glennon. All with the same replacement-level downside and more upside.
I could see all of these except for Pryor. He is crashing and burning in rather spectacular fashion. I'm not sure there's much upside with him at this point. He can't throw and the knee injury is preventing him from doing the one thing he can do - run.

The real question is why has Eli regressed so much this year? That is the scary thing. It looks like it is all mental and that may be the hardest thing to fix. I think Coughlin needs to sit him a game or two.

• Carson Palmer
I could see all of these except for Pryor. He is crashing and burning in rather spectacular fashion. I'm not sure there's much upside with him at this point. He can't throw and the knee injury is preventing him from doing the one thing he can do - run.
He has a bad knee right now so he can barely run.

He's on the waiver wire in my 16 team IDP league (9 bench spots) and no one has gone to pick him up. Says it all really. Even Kellen Clemens is owned!!

He's on the waiver wire in my 16 team IDP league (9 bench spots) and no one has gone to pick him up. Says it all really. Even Kellen Clemens is owned!!
Well that's completely asinine. I would want him as a backup over a number of starting QBs and you're living dangerously in a 16 teamer if you don't have any backup QB at all. One way or another Eli is worth rostering for someone in your league.

Starting with ZERO confidence only because his WRs are better than Matt Ryan's. #### You Gomer, you POS.

Well that's completely asinine. I would want him as a backup over a number of starting QBs and you're living dangerously in a 16 teamer if you don't have any backup QB at all. One way or another Eli is worth rostering for someone in your league.
Actually he just got picked up! But he was indeed dropped....

Actually he just got picked up! But he was indeed dropped....
My bad. I'm in your league, that was me who just picked him up.

Deaddawg said:
The real question is why has Eli regressed so much this year? That is the scary thing. It looks like it is all mental and that may be the hardest thing to fix. I think Coughlin needs to sit him a game or two.
The Manning brothers have a psychic connection and a finite amount of talent they can share between themselves via telepathy. Peyton realized he's nearing the end and decided to hoard it all this year.

I am stumped by his regression, most weeks I say OK this is his breakout week...I'm starting McCown(not that you care), so now I get to see him go for 300 yrds and 3 td's this week. I simply can't put a handle on what the heck happened to him...It's like he forgot how to play QB???

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching him now, it's hard to believe he is the Manning with two Super Bowl MVPs.
I agree...it's stunning. I wasn't expecting Peyton type numbers, but in a 16 team league, I thought he would at least be OK, just baffled? Nicks can throw away that big contract he was looking for unless some sucker comes calling...of course it only takes one.

He is in a season long slump. I do think A.Brown will help the run game open things up for Eli, but he looks like Trent Dilfer out there. The schedule does look good for high scoring games where the Giants will have to open it up.

He sucked pretty bad in '07 for much of the regular season too. I'll never forget the back-to-back pick sixes against the Vikings. Few months later he's SB MVP. :shrug:

A small part of me is actually wondering if it's a good time to buy-low in 2QB/Superflex leagues...
Would not. Average talents just don't have as much to give back as elite QBs do and he'll be 33 next year.
You're probably right. I was just thinking that eventually he's going to pull an Eli and go on a hot streak. He's not going to wither away the rest of his career. And at that point, in that format, he could be flipped. But maybe not. This slump might just be too memorable.

Drafted him in the tenth round of my 10 teamer and still have him on my roster to this day. He's been on my bench more often than not with me going forward with options such as Cutler, Locker, and now Keenum.

I'm holding on to Eli because his schedule is just too good. I plan on playing him next week against Dallas. He seems to always produce against the Cowboys and I already plan on going back to that well again. Frankly, that could be the game that gets Eli in gear. I was expecting it to be this week, but the Giants could very much beat the Rodgers-less Packers by simply running Andre Brown down their throats.

The guy has done it before. He's got the weapons. We all also know the storyline with these guys. When we think they're down and out, the light switch gets flipped. Everyone talks about playoff schedules at this time, and if you're looking for a playoff QB, he has the matchups and upside to win you a championship.

He is too good to not turn it around. Many doubted if Rivers would ever be relevant again and this year he is having a very good year. There is still a lot left to play out this season and going forward.

Eli has always been a bit of an inconsistent QB, but he has the track record and the ability to be a hold in dynasty as his value is extremely low. This year is an anamoly of who he really is. Eli is a very good QB that is having a very bad year.

ELI sucks...... Plain and simple. Close thread
Thanks for your analysis.

Shut 'er down folks!
His analysis is pretty accurate. The OL does suck, WRs are running wrong routes (except Cruz) and there is no TE but Gomer is also throwing passes to the other team. This thread needs to stay open for us Gomer owners so we can continue to berate him. I'll be drafting a few rookie QB's in dynasty next year to replace him. Without his lucky deep throws to Cruz, he really sucks bad and I haven't seen one of those since week 1.

He needs to make a Philip Rivers type turnaround next year or he should be out of the league. 2 SB's or not. His performance this year was THAT bad. It would be unacceptable for a rookie, let alone a seasoned vet. I see nothing about him I like right now.

He needs to make a Philip Rivers type turnaround next year or he should be out of the league. 2 SB's or not. His performance this year was THAT bad. It would be unacceptable for a rookie, let alone a seasoned vet. I see nothing about him I like right now.
Is that from watching him play or just the stats. If its from the stats and low-lights, let me tell you he sucks even worse than anyone can imagine. If this guy wasn't paid zillions and a 1st rd pick, he wouldn't even be in the NFl. He's really one of the worse QBs in the NFl. Today he was holding onto the ball way too long. The OL did pretty damn good with Seattle.

It is truly unexplainable as to what happened to Eli this year. Guys lose it over night, but not great guys and Eli has been great at times. This is just sad.

Users who are viewing this thread