What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bobby Rainey - Is it just me? (1 Viewer)

I think he's an RB2 this week and beyond. Dodds and Rotoworld rank him in the 40s this week. Who's right?
He's probably more explosive than Leonard, but he'll probably see way less touches and time on the field. He only played 11 snaps, he just happened to score and salvage it.

I've stashed him in some deep dynasties, and grabbed Leonard to keep him away from other owners in other leagues, but I think they're going to have some sort of split that favors whoever catches passes--which will probably be Leonard.

Leonard has the coach on his side, so it's gonna take extreme out-performance by Rainey to steal this job. That extreme was there last week. Let's hope it's there again this week. This is what SSOG calls a high urgency situation.

He's the 3rd string RB that was recently cut for mcgahee. Anything could happen but I'd put the chances at around 15%. And even if he's "good" what's the upside? He's on a terrible team that won't have the game in their favor most of the time. He's not the receiving back and not the goal line back. His upside is likely what DWill was. Just isn't that appealing unless you're in dire straights.

I have CJ Anderson as my 6th RB and I kept him over trying snag Leonard or Rainey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's an RB2 this week and beyond. Dodds and Rotoworld rank him in the 40s this week. Who's right?
He's probably more explosive than Leonard, but he'll probably see way less touches and time on the field. He only played 11 snaps, he just happened to score and salvage it.

I've stashed him in some deep dynasties, and grabbed Leonard to keep him away from other owners in other leagues, but I think they're going to have some sort of split that favors whoever catches passes--which will probably be Leonard.
Rainey had only been with the team a short time. His touches likely resembled his handle on the play book more than anything else. Rainey, I believe is the back to own, but I'd throw up in my mouth a little if I had to rely on either.

He's the 3rd string RB that was recently cut for mcgahee. Anything could happen but I'd put the chances at around 15%. And even if he's "good" what's the upside? He's on a terrible team that won't have the game in their favor most of the time. He's not the receiving back and not the goal line back. His upside is likely what DWill was. Just isn't that appealing unless you're in dire straights.
Kid's got some burst. If he can perform well this week who knows. I think Leonard is avg at best and that's the only competition, so a big day could elevate Rainey to relevance. And he's facing a lowly Falcons this week, so the table is set. If not, punt. Finding an RB to even get double digit points this season is tough, so if there's a chance to grab one off the wire during week 11, I'm sure there are some RB starved teams out there that should be paying attention.

Kid's got some burst. If he can perform well this week who knows. I think Leonard is avg at best and that's the only competition, so a big day could elevate Rainey to relevance. And he's facing a lowly Falcons this week, so the table is set. If not, punt. Finding an RB to even get double digit points this season is tough, so if there's a chance to grab one off the wire during week 11, I'm sure there are some RB starved teams out there that should be paying attention.
Ya I get it and if I were desperate, sure take a shot. I'm just trying to temper expectations before a bandwagon forms. The situation is really bad.

Rainey: 8 rushes for 24 yards, 0 TD.

Leonard will have 18 rushes for 72 yards and a TD, with 3 catches for another 30 yards.

Leonard is the back to own. It amazes me that you guys actually think Rainey has any value.

I saw Western Kentucky play FAU in the new FAU stadium two years ago and I didn't think Al Morris was the best RB on the field that day.

Just Saying.

Schiano is one of the few coaches left who seem to want to pound the ball. He also is likely out, but if he finishes strong, who knows? I think Rainey gives him a better chance to win than a journeyman like Leonard. I think his future trumps any notion of loyalty. As it stands, I think its will be 60-40 Rainey. Like his ability to turn the corner this week.

I am starting in a league where I need a W, but its also more out of necessity than choice.

I like this Bobby Rainey kid, and I saw enough of Leonard to see that he's nothing but a journeyman bum who catches the ball real well but has no wiggle. The Bucs are committed to the ground game come hell or high water. And the O-line's been doing a decent job of opening lanes lately. There is value in the Tampa running game. This could be a 50-50 RBBC and that would really water both Rainey and Leanard's values fantasy wise. But one of them is going to emerge as a bell cow. I don't think it's going to be Leonard. Just doesn't pass the eyeball test. Rainey does, and I expect his role to increase dramatically over Leonard. That's where my bet is anyway, taking Rainey everywhere I could while others battled it out for Leonard. If anyone has value in the Bucs backfield, guessing it's going to be Rainey.

I have CJ Anderson as my 6th RB and I kept him over trying snag Leonard or Rainey.
He wasn't even cut for McGahee. He was cut for Fozzy Whitaker.

Leonard is solid not spectacular who has the trust of his coach in all situations. Rainey does not have that trust yet. Leonard wins on sheer volume of touches.

Leonard is solid not spectacular who has the trust of his coach in all situations. Rainey does not have that trust yet. Leonard wins on sheer volume of touches.
Leonard has done SQUAT for the last two years, and only has this chance because he is the 3rd man on the totem pole. He is ordinary, at best, and probably has this chance only because he has more experience.

Rainey showed some juice last week - juice that Leonard clearly does not possess.

Leonard has done SQUAT for the last two years, and only has this chance because he is the 3rd man on the totem pole. He is ordinary, at best, and probably has this chance only because he has more experience.

Rainey showed some juice last week - juice that Leonard clearly does not possess.
No argument here. :shrug:

You think a coaching staff on a 1-8 team, or whatever they are, would give Rainey a shot since they already know what they have in Leonard. But this is also a coach that is desperately trying to hold onto his job. Looking like itll be a split from here on out unless Rainey severely outplays Leonard.

An important fact to keep tucked away in the back of your mind is the fact that Leonard is a "Schiano Man", another of his Rutgers guys. Look at how Schiano made a household name of Tim Wright in fantasy circles. Sheer bullheadedness could be the reason Rainey gets lost in the shuffle.

An important fact to keep tucked away in the back of your mind is the fact that Leonard is a "Schiano Man", another of his Rutgers guys. Look at how Schiano made a household name of Tim Wright in fantasy circles. Sheer bullheadedness could be the reason Rainey gets lost in the shuffle.
Didn't Rainey ending up in Tampa have something to do with Schiano? I imagine the GM and coach talk about these things.

Leonard will have 18 rushes for 72 yards and a TD, with 3 catches for another 30 yards.

Leonard is the back to own. It amazes me that you guys actually think Rainey has any value.
Good call ... you must be really good at this Fantasy Football thing

He passed the eye test for me last week. I had a spot to pick him up and dropped the ball. Doh!

I'm ok with the blow up on the bench if he can carry this forward. Obviously this is ping to be one of his top games, but is that due more to ATLd defense? Are they that bad or a combo of him being better than expected?

Either way, glad he's on my bench rather than someone else's starting line up.

I like my crow served cold.

Rainey is a flash in the pan imo.. first we had martin then james now rainey. He will be 3rd stringer next year. Book it fantasy squids.

T with T said:
Rainey is a flash in the pan imo.. first we had martin then james now rainey. He will be 3rd stringer next year. Book it fantasy squids.
If he is a flash in the pan and he takes me to a championship this year......I don't care about next year.

Gotta love the evolution from the dopes at Rotoworld:

Although the Bucs were playing a lifeless Falcons defense and Tampa Bay's offensive line legitimately blocked out the sun, Rainey deserves credit for outstanding vision and plus burst through the hole. He has some Ahmad Bradshaw to him, and it not a liability in the passing game. Clearly a superior option to FB/HB plodder Brian Leonard at this point, Rainey will be worth firing up as a flex play against the Falcons in Week 12. Nov 17 - 4:50 PM

Yes, Rainey looked good in the fourth quarter and scored the go-ahead touchdown from one yard out. But this is a 5-foot-8 scatback that was cut by a Browns team that boasts Willis McGahee and Chris Ogbonnaya as their top-two running backs. Expect Rainey to be a mere change-of-pace option behind Brian Leonard going forward. Nov 13 - 10:15 AM

ETA: And apparently they're plaing Atlanta again next week!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Went against Rainey and Rashad Jennings today. Both played against teams who have absolutely quit. Has something to do with it. Atlanta is a joke and Houston let's Jennings score from 80 on an empty backfield wildcat play? Note to self. Play guys against teams who have quit.

Went against Rainey and Rashad Jennings today. Both played against teams who have absolutely quit. Has something to do with it. Atlanta is a joke and Houston let's Jennings score from 80 on an empty backfield wildcat play? Note to self. Play guys against teams who have quit.
One of the problems with week 17; some teams have clinched; others have quit; guys want to stay healthy. We should see posts soon defending a week 17 SB.

Offers solid vision and nice burst. Tampa O-line is playing lights out right now and have been for the last several weeks.

I don't see anything special about Rainey, but the guy finds & hits the holes and has fresh legs for the stretch run. Credit Tampa's O-line performance the last few weeks, they've manhandled Seattle, Miami, & Atlanta up front.

Maybe it's just me but for me, I like this kid a lot. Again maybe that's just me but for me he's got a chance to be an ok option down the stretch. That's just for me.

So what the hell happened with Martin? It's not normal to have not one but two backup shine in relief when the starter really struggled.

You could be the worst ever. Wrong every time.

Users who are viewing this thread