What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preacher is on AMC and it's pretty decent. Shuke rated it 5* stars! (1 Viewer)

The preview had me a bit shuked.

The trailer for The Badlands looked right up my alley though. Looks like AMC is all-in on supernatural, end of world shows.

Yay!

OMG. :wub: I've been waiting for this for a very long time. Having a hard time not making a sticky mess in my pants. It was one of the best written graphic novels of the '90's. Hopefully they don't #### it up. This being AMC, my hopes are high.

For anyone who has never checked out the series, I highly recommend it.

OMG. :wub: I've been waiting for this for a very long time. Having a hard time not making a sticky mess in my pants. It was one of the best written graphic novels of the '90's. Hopefully they don't #### it up. This being AMC, my hopes are high.

For anyone who has never checked out the series, I highly recommend it.
That sounds freaking terrible.
I can see where it might if you hadn't read Ennis before, but it really is phenomenal. The series didn't last over six years because it sucked.

So it's about a preacher that beats people up?
With vampires!
He beats people up with vampires? Like he picks up Dracula by the ankles and bludgeons other people with him?
Text message sent.
Thanks for the unsolicited crank-pic.
Well, it's been a while. Thought you might be missing my wang.

The premise seems lame but that comic series was awesome, and very violent/disturbing.

I doubt it translates well to tv.

But it's a great comic that an adult who hadn't read a comic book since they were a teen could enjoy on their tablet now

Preacher was my favorite graphic novel ever. I don't think it can translate to tv though.
Agreed. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it will work.

The name is wrong, the premise is a bit creepy.. the idea sounds stupid.

It took me some convincing (largely by reading your posts) that the graphic novel was worth the time (and it definitely was)

Is this the same premise of a movie from a few years ago that was called Priest?  I recall it was post apocalyptic and had vampires in it.

So what do you guys think? Pretty gory but it looks like it's got some unique characters. Tom Cruise exploding a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
i recorded it...  then i decided I'm not going to watch this until it makes it for awhile.   It would be dumb if this isn't going to see it's way to the finish.

Also to see if the general consensus is that it's good.   

I watched it. I know nothing of the comics.

I thought it was interesting and will give it a go for a bit. Brooding (anti-)heroes are starting to get a little old these days on TV, so I'm hoping the creators have something fresh in mind. Tulip, though, is my favorite character so far. She's hotter than hell, kicks all kinds of ###,  and actually has a sense of humor (something often sorely missing in these kinds of shows). The Irish dude (and just about every "normal" person in town) came across as one-note, but hopefully they'll get rounded out as time goes on. 

Warning for those to whom such things matter: this show is at least as gory as The Walking Dead. 

Cassidy done well.  Arseface seems to be introduced early (and with no backstory).  I'm guessing they do him a lot different than in the books. 

I watched it. I know nothing of the comics.

I thought it was interesting and will give it a go for a bit. Brooding (anti-)heroes are starting to get a little old these days on TV, so I'm hoping the creators have something fresh in mind. Tulip, though, is my favorite character so far. She's hotter than hell, kicks all kinds of ###,  and actually has a sense of humor (something often sorely missing in these kinds of shows). The Irish dude (and just about every "normal" person in town) came across as one-note, but hopefully they'll get rounded out as time goes on. 

Warning for those to whom such things matter: this show is at least as gory as The Walking Dead. 
Great post, feel the same way.  I liked it, and I'll be tuning in next week.

I fell asleep during the beginning of the show but I recorded it.  I may watch it tonight. If I do not watch it tonight, then I will watch it a different night.

Never heard of the comics. Watched it and had no clue wtf I was watching. Weird show. Not sure I'll keep watching even though it was well done. Just not my bag.

Never heard of the comics. Watched it and had no clue wtf I was watching. Weird show. Not sure I'll keep watching even though it was well done. Just not my bag.
Agree on the bold part.. But will continue to watch to try and figure out just WTF I did watch ..

BTW.. I joined AMC "populist" group where I get early previews of shows and get asked to complete surveys..

Based on the survey for this show you were suppose to be :confused: if you didn't read the comics... Seriously..

They had 3 or 4 questions asking that if you never read the comic were you confused, how confused, and whether being confused added to the enjoyment..

Has a unique kind of vibe that I dig.  I kind of like how you're not giving much of any back story yet.  Plus, I've grown to trust AMC.

Henry Ford said:
If it helps, some of us who have read every issue felt the same way.
if it hadn't been highly recommended as a graphic novel to me, i probably would've quit the novel after issue 3 or 4...  because you got thrust right into the story and then got the back stories later, you felt confused for a long while...   then when it was all said and done everything made sense... almost begging you to re-read it knowing what you knew now.

if it hadn't been highly recommended as a graphic novel to me, i probably would've quit the novel after issue 3 or 4...  because you got thrust right into the story and then got the back stories later, you felt confused for a long while...   then when it was all said and done everything made sense... almost begging you to re-read it knowing what you knew now.
Oh, I love the Preacher comics. I'm saying this show doesn't exactly follow them.

Oh, I love the Preacher comics. I'm saying this show doesn't exactly follow them.
oh, ok..   well for what it's worth Garth Ennis advised and encouraged them to change and adapt to the basic story to television...  to not feel bound to the novel.   Admittedly so much of that novel just doesn't feel like it could ever adapt to TV that I think that was a must.

There was so much effed up stuff in that book....   and if "the boys" ever gets adapted that's some pretty messed up stuff too and i didn't even complete that one.

oh, ok..   well for what it's worth Garth Ennis advised and encouraged them to change and adapt to the basic story to television...  to not feel bound to the novel.   Admittedly so much of that novel just doesn't feel like it could ever adapt to TV that I think that was a must.

There was so much effed up stuff in that book....   and if "the boys" ever gets adapted that's some pretty messed up stuff too and i didn't even complete that one.
I just think that completely changing how the story starts is f'd up.  I mean,

the whole town is killed and the church destroyed in the opening scenes in the comic.

That's the basis of everything in the story.

Definitely off-track from the books.  Dare I say the best show on TV? *

* To be fair, I haven't caught the new 100k Pyramid, or Jimmy Fallon's tonight show.

Users who are viewing this thread