What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andre Holmes, Bills (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
I didn't see a thread, and obviously he is only somebody for those who are in deeper leagues, dynasty/keeper leagues, or those who have had extensive injury issues and the waiver wire is picked over.

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes is expected to start if Denarius Moore (shoulder) can't play Sunday.

Moore missed practice Wednesday and is questionable at best for the matchup with the Titans. It's a big chance for Holmes, an impressive physical specimen at 6'4/210 who high-pointed a 33-yard catch against the Texans last week. He's a name for extreme deep leaguers to put on watch lists as Matt McGloin breathes some life into the Raiders passing game.

Related: Denarius Moore

Source: CSN Bay Area

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up, that was a nice catch in the Texans game. He has good measurables and Mcgloin looks like he knows how to put the rock up high for him...

Wasn't impressed with Holmes in preseason. His body control and hands looked suspect. Like a bigger, sh**ier DHB.

But I do like McGloin so there's some potential here maybe for a desperation play.

I was actually mildy impressed with Andre Holmes in preseason. Made some circus catches in camp and showed some good hands. Certainly better hands than DHB, but that's not really saying much. Came over here from the Patriots and wasn't expected to be more than a camp body, but I think it speaks volumes that he survived the 53 man roster, despite getting a 4 game suspension to start the year. Coaches really like him. He's for now a desperation play, and I would not recommend him, but keep him on your "watch list" for now.

Whoops, posted too soon:

2-16-DAL 16(10:33) (Shotgun) M.McGloin pass short right to A.Holmes for 16 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Assistant challenged the runner broke the plane ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) M.McGloin pass short right to A.Holmes to DAL 1 for 15 yards (B.Carr).

I've bought in to the hype trains for Jacoby Ford, Denarius Moore, and Rod Streater. He looked like "the guy" today but so did the other three in the past... Might as well keep the pattern going for a new Raider receiver each year.

I've bought in to the hype trains for Jacoby Ford, Denarius Moore, and Rod Streater. He looked like "the guy" today but so did the other three in the past... Might as well keep the pattern going for a new Raider receiver each year.
Let us not forget Ronald Curry, Louis Murphy, and Chaz Schilens.

Let us not forget Ronald Curry, Louis Murphy, and Chaz Schilens.
I've had Curry, Schilens, Moore. Never had an interest in Ford or Murphy. Streater is good.

Holmes is better than all of them.

lod01 said:
Holmes is better than all of them.
Really? Nice stats yesterday, but while listening to the radio the commentators made it clear that he missed some catches he should have had.

I have him in a deep league, but can't start him over Sanders, Jeffrey or Green. He should make a nice cheap keeper though (salary cap); so I want to see him do well, but would love to hear objective homers (do they exist in Oakland?) discuss his future more.

No you can't start him. He has no value in redraft. He has big upside in dynasty. Everyone misses catches. Calvin misses catches Marshall does too. It's how he looks on the field and he looks damn good.

This guy was great yesterday. As a Cowboys fan I was just amazed that he made nearly every catch and it seemed like it was always on 3rd down.

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes caught seven balls for 136 yards in the Raiders' Week 13 loss to the Cowboys.

Holmes has long been an impressive practice squad player at 6-foot-4, 210 with 4.45 wheels. On Thursday evening, he translated those tools and enhanced opportunity with Denarius Moore (shoulder) inactive into a monster game, leading every player on either side in receiving. Holmes is a 25-year-old Dynasty prospect with upside. In re-draft, he's only worth rostering in 16-team leagues.

This guy was great yesterday. As a Cowboys fan I was just amazed that he made nearly every catch and it seemed like it was always on 3rd down.
Single or ZERO coverage will make you look fantastic. Cowboys sold out every play. I didn't see much separation, but he did what he needed to. He's a watch for me until I see him beat some coverages.

Rotoworld:

Coach Dennis Allen referred to Andre Holmes as "a guy, obviously, that we feel very comfortable with."

The Raiders have had no problems starting Holmes as Denarius Moore (shoulder) has missed the last two games. The second-year pro has totaled nine catches for 168 yards during that span, showing a strong rapport with fellow former backup Matt McGloin. In Week 14, the Raiders get to face a Jets secondary that's getting toasted over the top on a weekly basis. If Moore sits, the size/speed freak Holmes would be a WR4 with upside.

Source: CSN Bay Area

How do people who have seen he and Streater play compare them long term? I have liked what I saw from Streater so far. How sure are we that Holmes is going to be better?

On giving up on Holmes last year - Jerry Jones: 'I think we made a big mistake.'

This guy's meddling, where he has no business, does so much damage to the Cowboys.

What is it with Oakland WRs? I know they've had ####ty QBs for a while but there are plenty of WRs with below average starters that have great production. Is it something with the staff, the culture? The list of potential breakout WRs who haven't is really long.

They haven't had elite talent since Tim Brown.

Porter thought he was great. That was his downfall.

Curry was good.

Streater is good.

Holmes can be real good.

Depending on Moore's health, this guy can be a WR3 with WR2 upside going forward for the FF playoffs. McLovin looks like he's has some kind of poise behind center and they're probably going to have to throw a ton. The fantasy variables? No competition for catches except for Streater and plays on a crappy team. I'm throwing some FAAB at him this week.

Edit to add: Moore didn't practice today (Wednesday)

Latest report I saw had no timetable for Denarius Moore's return. He's getting targeted a ton, and he's doing a decent job cashing in on his opportunity. Worth a flyer and stash on the bench. You might need him as a desperation start. Ya never know.

Andre Holmes opening some eyes for Raiders

By Jerry McDonald/MediaNews Group/

Posted: 12/04/2013 01:00:55 AM PST

ALAMEDA -- It took four organizations, three trips to the waiver wire and a four-game suspension, but perseverance paid off for Raiders wide receiver Andre Holmes.A 31-24 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving included a seven-catch, 136-yard explosion from Holmes, who in a single afternoon surpassed his career numbers coming into the game (five receptions, 76 yards).

"It's taken me three years to be able to do it, and I think it's just been a matter of development and figuring out the skills I need when I'm out on the field," Holmes said Monday. "The ball was coming to me, and I was able to make plays on it."

At 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, Holmes gives the Raiders the kind of physical target they've lacked. Even if Denarius Moore returns to claim his starting position when the Raiders visit the Jets on Sunday at MetLife Stadium, Holmes' playmaking ability and rapport with quarterback Matt McGloin will get him plenty of snaps.

"I just think when the ball went to him, he went up and made the plays," Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. "He's a big target and can really stretch the field vertically."

Despite Holmes' size, his ability to jump and catch has been an evolving process. McGloin is fond of throwing "50-50" balls where he counts on his receiver to win the one-on-one battle with the defensive back.

"When I was a rookie, I wasn't really doing it -- it was more like a 20-80 ball," Holmes said.

Holmes, like teammates McGloin, Rod Streater and Marcel Reece, was not drafted out of college. He originally was signed as an undrafted free agent by Minnesota, then played parts of two seasons with Dallas before signing with New England and getting waived.

Also a basketball player and triple jumper at Conant High in the Chicago area, Holmes toyed with the idea of giving up football to play soccer, only to be talked out of it by football coach **** Modelski.

"We told him, 'We have a plan for you. Stick with it.' Thank God he did," Modelski told ESPNChicago. "By his senior year he blossomed into a very good wide receiver, and you could tell he wasn't done growing. He was going to keep developing."

With no Division I scholarship opportunities, Holmes went to Division II Hillsdale College in Michigan, where a teammate was Raiders tackle Jared Veldheer.

As a sophomore, Holmes remembers filling out a questionnaire on short-term and long-term goals and being too embarrassed to list the NFL as a possibility. It was then, Holmes said, that assistant coach Barry Fagan told him what he needed to improve upon to have a chance.

"He was the first one who told me I had a shot," Holmes said.

Holmes caught 144 passes over his junior and senior seasons at Hillsdale for more than 1,300 yards and 14 touchdowns.

"You have a player like that, especially in Division II, it sticks out big time," Veldheer said. "There were a lot of big plays that went to 'Dre, and it was fun playing with him Thursday and having him do the same thing."

After missing the first four games of the season under suspension for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs, Holmes is just now hitting his stride.

"Andre has been doing this since camp. I think the four-game suspension kind of threw him off, but you see he goes out there and makes plays," Streater said. "He might not be the fastest, but you put the ball in his area, and he's going to come down with it."

* The Raiders were off Friday, Saturday and Sunday and had meetings but no practice Monday. They were also off Tuesday before beginning preparations for the Jets today.

Does Holmes embody Raiders' new mantra?

By Paul Gutierrez | ESPN.com

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Perhaps no other Oakland Raiders player epitomized the state of the rebuilding franchise during the nationally broadcast Thanksgiving Day game against the Dallas Cowboys more than receiver Andre Holmes.

He entered the day with five career catches for 76 yards and the product of Hillsdale College (also alma mater to left tackle Jared Veldheer) responded with a breakout game -- seven receptions for 136 yards -- albeit in a 31-24 defeat.

More to the point, Holmes was one of 16 undrafted players who suited up for the Raiders against the Cowboys, seven of whom were initially signed by Oakland's second-year regime of general manager Reggie McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen: rookie quarterback Matt McGloin, receivers Rod Streater and rookie Greg Jenkins, punter Marquette King, offensive lineman Lucas Nix, rookie defensive end Ryan Robinson and linebacker Kaelin Burnett.

“You look across the league and there's a lot of undrafteds starting and a lot of undrafteds playing,” Holmes said Monday. “It's what you do on the field on Sunday.”

Or, in Holmes' case, what he did last Thursday to the team with which he spent 2011 and 2012.

“We liked Andre,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said after the game. “You know, we had him here for a couple of years on our roster and on our practice [squad].

“He is a big, strong guy and can make those kinds of plays. He has good length and he has good ball skills, so we certainly have a healthy respect for him because we know him pretty well.”

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Holmes had to sit out the season's first four games due to a league-mandated suspension for failing a performance-enhancing substance test and did not get his first catch with Oakland until Nov. 17 at the Houston Texans. He became more of a factor with Denarius Moore missing the past two games with an injured shoulder.

And yes, Holmes circled his calendar when the Cowboys game came up, and his teammates noticed.

“When you don't get drafted, that kind of [sets] you back, but it also gets you that edge,” said fellow non-draftee Streater. “You want to work hard and you always feel like you've got something to prove. That's kind of the thing with Andre.

“It was like the perfect situation going against the Cowboys. They let him go, and he was undrafted.”

Proverbial chip on the shoulder, much? Even if Holmes was initially signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Minnesota Vikings in 2011?

If so, you could make the same claim for the eight other undrafted Raiders who played against the Cowboys and were first signed elsewhere before finding a home in Oakland -- tight end Jeron Mastrud (Tampa Bay), fullback Marcel Reece (Miami), middle linebacker Nick Roach (San Diego), safety Brandian Ross (Green Bay), running back Jeremy Stewart (Philadelphia), fullback Jamize Olawale (Dallas), long-snapper Jon Condo (Dallas) and defensive tackle Daniel Muir (Green Bay).

“It's taken me three years to be able to do it and I think it's just the development and me figuring out the skills that I need when I'm out on the field,” Holmes said. “Part of it could be opportunity and things like that, but I mean, I wouldn't say that I wasn't doing it before or anything like that. It was just the right time. The ball was coming to me and I was able to make plays on it.

“I've been able to use my strengths a lot more and playing bigger and making sure I come down with the 50-50 balls. I know when I was a rookie that was one thing I wasn't really doing. It was more of like a 20-80 ball, know what I mean?”

Raiders starting WR's are a couple of UDFA's. That's all you need to know about the state of the team talent wise. Not trying to overly criticize Streater and Holmes. But those people who want to criticize QB's like McGloin and Pryor need to step back and take stock of what the QB's had to work with this year skill-position wise. Their marquee WR was a 5th rounder. This team needs a healthy injection of talent.

Love what I saw from him last week. He seems to have talent. Could be this years Danario Alexander. , guy who plays well enough the last few weeks of the year and could be a WR3 ROS. At the least he is a good start this week against the Jets terrible Pass D that made hartline look like a WR1. And he has SD week 16. Jets and Chargers are in the bottom 5 in pass D I believe.

I think anyone starting him next week is chasing stats and deserves the goose-egg that they likely will get.

shader said:
I think anyone starting him next week is chasing stats and deserves the goose-egg that they likely will get.
Starting him with confidence. :thumbup:
As am I.
I'm probably rolling with Sanders over Holmes - Sanders is the safer bet and I need the safer bet more than rolling the dice.

If your team has Holmes and needs a risk/reward move, then start Holmes. Part of my hesitation is the Jets D, but Oakland will probably be better off passing than running.

Throw into the equation that the Jets run defense is stout while their pass defense is a joke. Add in the fact that the Raiders are rolling Taiwan Jones at RB in practice because McFadden hurt his toenail again, and Jennings still hasn't been cleared from his concussion protocol. Expect the Raiders to air it out early and often in this one.

Throw into the equation that the Jets run defense is stout while their pass defense is a joke. Add in the fact that the Raiders are rolling Taiwan Jones at RB in practice because McFadden hurt his ###### again, and Jennings still hasn't been cleared from his concussion protocol. Expect the Raiders to air it out early and often in this one.

Throw into the equation that the Jets run defense is stout while their pass defense is a joke. Add in the fact that the Raiders are rolling Taiwan Jones at RB in practice because McFadden hurt his toenail again, and Jennings still hasn't been cleared from his concussion protocol. Expect the Raiders to air it out early and often in this one.
errr... rethinking now. Holmes is insanely low in the FBG ranking for this week - what's up with that?

errr... rethinking now. Holmes is insanely low in the FBG ranking for this week - what's up with that?
He's had one good game his whole career?

Users who are viewing this thread