What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic
Since I enjoyed Swan Song, I picked up McCammon's Boy's Life after it was suggested somewhere on these boards. Pretty good so far. Another "coming of age" type of story.Next up: Jack Ketchum's Girl Next Door, Phillip ****'s Counterfeit Unrealities, or Harlan Ellison's Angry Candy, depending on my mood.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current non-poker books:

Zen in the Art of Archery, by Eugen Herrigel.

The Essential Holmes: Selections from the Letters, Speeches, Judicial Opinions, and Other Writings of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., by Richard Posner (editor).

The philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, by H.L. Mencken

Recently finished "Bringing Down the House" by Ben Mezrich. Enjoyed it, so picked up "Fertile Ground" by Mr Mezrich when I saw it on the clearance rack. It's pretty much a stinker, but I'm reading it all anyway. I just noticed that amazon has it for .59¢. That should have been my first clue.

"A Farther Shore: Ireland's Long Road to Peace" - Gerry Adams.Good summary from the nationalist viewpoint of the recent history and politics in Northern Ireland.

Just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown (Davinci Code guy) I thought it was very good. J
Have you read Digital Fortress as well? I finished it a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good.

Reading nothing atm.

Just finished "The King of Torts" by Grisham.

Re-read Stephen R. Donaldson's "Gap" series prior to that.

Re-read the whole Gunslinger series, prior to reading Wolves of the Calla.

Think I squeezed a Koontz book in there somewhere.

I've been travelling too much recently and have had too much time to read.

In the middle of The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair right now, but haven't picked it up in about a week. About to start The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson to lighten it up a little.

Just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown (Davinci Code guy) I thought it was very good. J
Have you read Digital Fortress as well? I finished it a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good.
Hi UH,Yes, I actually read Digital Fortress first a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was good. But I liked Deception Point quite a bit more. I'm not sure which came first, but it seemed to me that his writing had improved with Deception Point. I thought that would make a great movie. I can see Jeff Goldblum easily as one of the TV Science guys.J

Hi UH,Yes, I actually read Digital Fortress first a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was good. But I liked Deception Point quite a bit more. I'm not sure which came first, but it seemed to me that his writing had improved with Deception Point. I thought that would make a great movie. I can see Jeff Goldblum easily as one of the TV Science guys.J
Cool.I'll give this a shot next week.

Son of the Morning Star: Custer and The Little Bighorn

Not a great read, but somewhat interesting.

A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
Slight hijack: The latest on Feast of Crows

I'm getting closer, though, page by bloody page. Yesterday I finished another chapter, the forty-first (though I do move these chapters around as I write, so it probably won't be the forty-first when FEAST is finally published). It's a Davos chapter, his second in the volume.

I now have 911 manuscript pages in something very close to final draft form. I also have about eight additional chapters in fragmentary form, a couple of them fairly close to completion. But there's more that will be needed after that. I don't believe in saying, "Okay, I've got X number of pages, that's enough, I'll end the book." Each volume is a part of the overall story, but also needs its own beginning, middle, climax, and end to make for a satisfying read. As I have said here before, I am writing as fast as I can, but my first priority is to make the novel as good as it be.

Desiring God by John Piper. Good stuff. :thumbup:
I love that guys harp playing I didn't realize he was an author.Supersystem by Doyle Brunson. I had to get halfway through it to realize most of the strategy is worthless against the hacks I play with.

Since I still have the two books after AGOT to get through before I need AFOC, I think he'll be done by then. :thumbup:
Unfortunatley that's what I thought when I started them last spring...I might just have to read them again. His writing is good enough that, that's no chore.

Starting Wolves of the Calla this week.I take back every negative thing I have said about this series..
:yes:I'm reading Hearts in Atlantis now. Flirting with reading Les Miserables again after this - it's been about 10 years...And I just got through a major Stephen King phase, so it's time to go back to a classic.

One Hundred Years of Solitude...almost done with this great read. From there I dont know where to go. Probably Restaurant at the End of the Univserse.

Slight hijack:  The latest on Feast of Crows
Since I still have the two books after AGOT to get through before I need AFOC, I think he'll be done by then. :thumbup:
Unfortunatley that's what I thought when I started them last spring...I might just have to read them again. His writing is good enough that, that's no chore.
My audio "read" is a reread. It's so dense that the reread has brought out additional points I didn't notice or forgot.

Reading:

The Victors:Eisenhower and His Boys: The Men of World War II 1945 - Stephen Ambrose

It's great to read WWII books by Ambrose, because he was so critical of U.S. Intelligence following the June 6, 1994 invasion of Normandy.

just finished:

Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides

Be careful if you read this book, some parts of it make you want to go find an old Japanese man somewhere and punch him, while at the same time finding an old WWII vet and give him a big hug.

"A Farther Shore: Ireland's Long Road to Peace" - Gerry Adams.Good summary from the nationalist viewpoint of the recent history and politics in Northern Ireland.
That sounds interesting. Is it good from a Historian's point of view, or would it be enjoyable to a average Joe?

One Hundred Years of Solitude...almost done with this great read.
Just finished this one and really enjoyed it. I am about half way through Confederacy of Dunces and am enjoying it as well. Anyone have other suggestions along these lines?

Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides

Be careful if you read this book, some parts of it make you want to go find an old Japanese man somewhere and punch him, while at the same time finding an old WWII vet and give him a big hug.
I loved this book.For those that don't know, it's about the Bataan Death March in WWII. MacAurther's famous "I shall return" line was basically in response to the US abandoning the Phillipines leaving an ill equipped and malaria plagued force. Starving, they surrendered to Japan - the first surrender of US forces since the Civil War.

The soldiers were marched some 60+ miles to the POW camp in just brutal conditions. When a soldier fell down, he was usually shot in the head and his body left in the road.

Camp wasn't any better. Many were shipped to Japan to work in the coal mines.

Unreal stuff.

Sides book is more up beat. A more graphic (and more disturbing) is Lester Tenney's "My Hitch in Hell" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...300110?v=glance I'd highly recommend it as well.

If you're really into this, come join me next month at White Sands Missile Range for a memorial march. http://www.bataanmarch.com/ It's marathon distance race through the dessert and a very cool experience. I did it in 2002 (2003 was canceled with Iraq War) They have about a dozen survivors from the real march there. Obviously, they're elderly men by now but it was very powerful to cross the finish line and have them put the finishers medal over your head. Two categories - with and without carrying a 35 pound backpack (yeah, I'm dumb enough to try it with the pack...)

Author of Ghost Soldiers, Hampton Sides was at the 2002 race and gave a symposium on the Death March. Very interesting guy.

J

I'm getting closer, though, page by bloody page. Yesterday I finished another chapter, the forty-first (though I do move these chapters around as I write, so it probably won't be the forty-first when FEAST is finally published). It's a Davos chapter, his second in the volume. I now have 911 manuscript pages in something very close to final draft form. I also have about eight additional chapters in fragmentary form, a couple of them fairly close to completion. But there's more that will be needed after that. I don't believe in saying, "Okay, I've got X number of pages, that's enough, I'll end the book." Each volume is a part of the overall story, but also needs its own beginning, middle, climax, and end to make for a satisfying read. As I have said here before, I am writing as fast as I can, but my first priority is to make the novel as good as it be.
Dude, no way!!On bn.com, the release date is April 27th. I just started re-reading the series so I would be totally up to speed when a feast for crows came out.Lets hope he gets it out by then. One of the best series I have read. Although, I do like the Sword of Truth by Goodkind as well. :thumbup:

Lets see, last night it was...1. Harold and the Purple Crayon2. Five Little Monkeys3. The Runaway Bunny4. Chicka-Chicka-Boom-BoomIm always up for somthing new though if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm getting closer, though, page by bloody page. Yesterday I finished another chapter, the forty-first (though I do move these chapters around as I write, so it probably won't be the forty-first when FEAST is finally published). It's a Davos chapter, his second in the volume. I now have 911 manuscript pages in something very close to final draft form. I also have about eight additional chapters in fragmentary form, a couple of them fairly close to completion. But there's more that will be needed after that. I don't believe in saying, "Okay, I've got X number of pages, that's enough, I'll end the book." Each volume is a part of the overall story, but also needs its own beginning, middle, climax, and end to make for a satisfying read. As I have said here before, I am writing as fast as I can, but my first priority is to make the novel as good as it be.
Dude, no way!!On bn.com, the release date is April 27th. I just started re-reading the series so I would be totally up to speed when a feast for crows came out.Lets hope he gets it out by then. One of the best series I have read. Although, I do like the Sword of Truth by Goodkind as well. :thumbup:
Various websites and bookshops have announced various publication dates, but until the book is actually finished and delivered, they are all pure guesswork.
Sorry.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William Shirer
Good stuff. Ever since reading it about six years back, the words 'lebensraum' and 'anschluss' have worked their way into my regular vocabulary.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William Shirer
Shirer is great. Read "The Nightmare Years" and "The Last 100 Days" next.Next on the docket is B.H Liddel Hart's "The German Generals Talk".

kupcho, you know what you should do? Right after reading Rise and Fall, reread 1984 and just wallow in the politcal paranoia that follows. :thumbup:

Shirer is great. Read "The Nightmare Years" and "The Last 100 Days" next.Next on the docket is B.H Liddel Hart's "The German Generals Talk".
Path, you might know of this? Who's the author who wrote what's considered on of THE books on Hitler... Something like Fest or Festo or Feist?

Just finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Thought it was pretty good, although it got bogged down in a Moby ****-esque way a few times.

Just started Catcher in the Rye, which I've never read. :bag:

Just finished The Last Juror by John Grisham.

I read Wolves of the Calla the week it was released. I'm now re-reading Eyes of the Dragon just in case Dennis and Thomas show up in Song of Susannah, which comes out in June.

I know a couple of people have already mentioned it, but "Bringing Down the House" by Ben Mezrich is just an incredible read. I am in the middle of it now and can barely put it down. The last "book" I gave this much attention to was a Fantasy Football magazine.

Black by Ted Dekker.

Life of Pi didn't take, but has not been banished to the shelf. Still hanging out on the nightstand waiting its turn.

Bryson's Short History... book was fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread